PDA

View Full Version : Warmth of the sun

impetuous
09-01-2001, 10:59 PM
Here is another offering for the project :)
This one is acrylic, soft pastel and ink. I have posted it in the finshed images, along with about 6 pics in the progress images file (I don't usually take snaps along the way, but this piece was a learning curve sort of thing for me ...and I thought that I'd share :) )
I purposely didn't use any cool colours here, I wanted to get that unique feeling of being in warm sunlight ...you know, like little tendrils of warmth wrapping around you.

Still working on items for this project, I have a memory board in progress and I've just finshed making a funky little frame for a collage that I plan to do.

Bec

colorme
09-01-2001, 11:56 PM
impetuous you did a wonderful job on this one, for some reason she reminds me of nelly furtado..lol:D, maybe it's the earrings or the hair? i don't know what it is but i like it.:)

sassybird
09-02-2001, 02:07 PM
You made a good decision to stay away from cool colors in this piece. She has a contented look on her face. I like the way you brought out the roughness of her skin. I take it that she is a teenager or young 20's. People just don't have silky smooth skin as so many artists try to portray. She looks natural. Good job!

impetuous
09-02-2001, 02:07 PM
Thanks colorme:)
and you're spot on :) It's my daughter, who just happens to adore nelly ...to the point of doing her hair like her and wearing those big hoops!

impetuous
09-02-2001, 02:21 PM
Thanks Sass:)

She is actually only 12 (going on 40!) but already has quite a defined bone structure, a good strong face (if you know what I mean)
And that roughness on the cheek is something tthat I didn't really want, but (lol here we go, a bad craftsman always blames his tools :) ) the paper/card was really quite rough so the pastel were quite hard to blend, I didn't want to lay down layers and layers of pastel either, wanted to try and keep it light, so the base would show though. That was a toughy :( something that will come with practise I suppose.
I'm really pleased that you think she looks natural and contented because, even though I'm a little biased, I can honestly say that she is the most natural and calm person I've ever met! There is a serenity thta seems to ooze out and surround her. V. easy person to portray.

sassybird
09-03-2001, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by impetuous
Thanks Sass:)

She is actually only 12 (going on 40!) but already has quite a defined bone structure, a good strong face (if you know what I mean)
And that roughness on the cheek is something tthat I didn't really want, but (lol here we go, a bad craftsman always blames his tools :) ) the paper/card was really quite rough so the pastel were quite hard to blend, I didn't want to lay down layers and layers of pastel either, wanted to try and keep it light, so the base would show though. That was a toughy :( something that will come with practise I suppose.
I'm really pleased that you think she looks natural and contented because, even though I'm a little biased, I can honestly say that she is the most natural and calm person I've ever met! There is a serenity thta seems to ooze out and surround her. V. easy person to portray.

Sometimes there are happy mistakes, and this is one of them. The roughness pimply look of her cheeks give her a young naive look that is so precious in young girls. From your description of her personality you captured her spirit nicely.

Leaflin
09-04-2001, 08:36 PM
What a beautiful portrait.
Your goal was accomplished!
The warmth just radiates from her.
Her eyes seem to add her inner warmth to the piece.:)

Mich451
09-05-2001, 07:52 AM
I have to tell you that it was the title that pulled me in to look...(I just watched the Brian Wilson tribute on tv last month, and Vince Gill's rendition of the song of the same title blew me away...)

You can tell you love the subject, as no matter what any artist does, the love shines through, if it is there in the first place.

ReNae
09-05-2001, 08:14 PM
Absolutely radiant!

~ReNae