PDA

View Full Version : wql4

dornberg
09-01-2001, 11:01 PM
oil 16x20 in.

jerryW
09-01-2001, 11:14 PM
spooky vertical out croppings in electric powder blue connect with the water color at left and rise diagonally through the tree.
the tree itself looks like a dollar sign withthe lap post running through it, and it is underlined for emphasis withthe road.

maybe it means something,
may be just great to look at.
the shapes in the sky are great as are the orange cream on the ground and the greens.

ZOTMA
09-01-2001, 11:33 PM
this is a beautiful canvas with the palette and movement
the centered pole is less challenging than most of the perspectives you serve up to us. It grounds the canvas, holds you in but somewhat prevents the enjoyment of the tree, countryside, killer colors on the pavement....

ejfarrae
09-01-2001, 11:45 PM
it's an interesting juxtaposition between the post and the unseen trunk of the tree. a nice tension is created as the two fight for notice. great work on the road and the sky. i can't help but think of a tombstone when i look at that shape by the post, which makes me think immediately of the wreaths of flowers one might see on the side of a road at the site of a previous fatal accident. it makes this piece somewhat meloncholy to me. which i like.

Impulse
09-02-2001, 12:48 AM
complex palette
much of your accustomed
subtelty comes through
in the shapes and colors

very enjoyable piece

i find this more reachable
after the course in
your interior work
over the summer

Cindy
09-02-2001, 08:53 AM
wow...

It's like opening a great novel, all the elements of reality are there but somehow they create a new world all their own and one in which you look forward to spending time and regret when you must leave.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

bottleman
09-03-2001, 06:45 PM
The pole is cutting all the subtle movements in the tree and sky. Either it should be thinner(more subtle) or not even there.

jerryW
09-03-2001, 06:59 PM
yeah but what if you love that pole and the light and color on it, then can you paint it?

allanom
09-03-2001, 07:03 PM
Gotta disagree with you bottleman: the pole MAKES this picture. It's almost sonic (BOOM!!) how it grounds the image and let's the rest of the composition float around it. Love the dark palette, too.

basia2
09-03-2001, 07:09 PM
the atmosphere of the painting make me look and look....basia

Impulse
09-03-2001, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by allanom
Gotta disagree with you bottleman: the pole MAKES this picture. It's almost sonic (BOOM!!) how it grounds the image and let's the rest of the composition float around it. Love the dark palette, too.

well, ok
if we're gonna paint by vote
i vote for the pole
i really like that pole
and i don't know what the
painting would be without it

i hope my vote counts in florida!

dornberg
09-03-2001, 07:33 PM
i am recounting now

jerryW
09-03-2001, 07:36 PM
i vote for me

Impulse
09-03-2001, 07:36 PM
a democrat!!

jerryW
09-03-2001, 07:38 PM
ok I'l vote for a democrat - where is it?

bottleman
09-03-2001, 09:22 PM
From here, it looks as if all the brush marks on the poll are vertical, and there are only a handful of colours. Compare this with the patterns, brush marks, and colour variety in the tree and sky. If this poll is to be the focal point, anchor, thing you love, etc., then it should be as varied and refined as what surrounds it. Right now it looks as if what is behind was given much more attention.

Think of the way The Group of Seven painted trees(this is for Canucks only;)). Many of their trees would be in the foreground, hence only the trunk would be visible; similar structure to this poll. They would vary colours and brush marks immensely within the trunk, all the while keeping the fundamental composition that the tree created.

domsanto
09-03-2001, 09:51 PM
One of my favorites

Impulse
09-03-2001, 11:42 PM
bottleman

point noted and made but
dornberg's not one of the group of seven
and the painting works and works well

the fact that you can point to the
excellent qualities of the depictions
rather indicates you can see them
pole notwithstanding

Gollator
09-04-2001, 07:20 AM
i think the theory of wq = working quarter is broken by now.

trying to see the pic without pole....hm, certainly would be somewhat boring....yet it's presence disturbes me.

Because it stands so much in the center, saying HERE I AM, which is unusual daring for a pole.

Something like "Poles of the world, stand up and unite, regain your lost attraction in art."