PDA

View Full Version : Silversmithing? Wear to find them?

BeadBraker
04-04-2004, 10:12 PM
Hi! I am a lampworker in central Illinois, and I would dearly love to find a silversmithing class in Illinois or St. Louis, MO. I am looking for a "weekend crash course" of the basics.

Any idea how in the world to find a program? I have yahoo'ed and searched but can't find squat...maybe I am searching wrong.

THANKS in advance. Also....are their any videos worth a hoot on this subject?

Nancy Braker in IL

Barrie
04-04-2004, 10:15 PM
Try contacting some local rock & gem (lapidary) clubs. Lapidary Journal has an online listing of clubs all over N. America, http://www.lapidaryjournal.com/archive/clubs.cfm , so you can find one close to you. Most of the clubs have members who teach silversmithing, or can direct you to the right instructor.
Good luck!

debkauz
04-05-2004, 03:55 PM
I'm not sure where NewBerlin is, but I know that some of the colleges in Chicago have courses and the Chicago Part District has continuing classes at some of the parks. I realize that's not really what you are looking for, but maybe they could lead you in the right direction. Lil Street in Chicago has courses in metalsmithing as well. Again, they might be able to help. I know that Lil Street and the Chicago Part District have www addresses, or you can google them. Have you looked into what is still available at BeadandButton in Milwaukee in May?
Good luck!

Debbie

BeadBraker
04-06-2004, 10:26 AM
Thanks all!

I have contacted SNAG and am pursuing some info there. Wish me luck!

Nancy B in IL