PDA

View Full Version : You Have No Faith/Sketch for the Sun

Collin
04-04-2004, 05:20 PM
These are two of my more recent paintings, "You Have no Faith in Medicine" is from November 2003, and "Sketch for the Sun" is from February 2004. I wanted to post these and hear what yall had to say about some of my work, good, bad, thoughts, etc. The first painting is 50"x50" and is oil on canvas, done from a live model. The second painting is a diptych and is 32"x20" and I used a pumice gel as the base and went over it with acrylic and then several layers of oil. It is the second painting of this image that I have done and I am planning on producing a mural sized painting of this image, probably about 10x14'.

I had to scale these down big time, why couldn't I make the second image 600 x 500,but I can make the first image 500 x 600?

Tamana
04-04-2004, 09:33 PM
Great size on the first; I like the shadowing, especially the inference of something unseen there; but am not too crazy about the red surrounding the figure; it looks disjointed or something (imho).

The second seems a bit too centered or symmetrical for me. Even though it's a dyptich, there are still ways to connect without such (which I'm sure you're aware of). But don't listen to me; many love the even balance acheived with symmetry. It's all a matter of individual preference. The palette happens to contain two of my favs; red/yellow um. :)

Glad you posted, looking forward to more from you.

Collin
04-04-2004, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the response, I should have some more pics up soon, after I finish off my roll of film. In "Sketch For the Sun" it is the second one that I did, and the first one is also a diptich, but the sun is slightly off-centered and higher up, and the colors are reversed. For me, that painting was more about the texture than anything else, but I am not sure if that comes through in the photo.

Smileawhyl
04-05-2004, 12:01 AM
These are two of my more recent paintings, "You Have no Faith in Medicine" is from November 2003, and "Sketch for the Sun" is from February 2004. I wanted to post these and hear what yall had to say about some of my work, good, bad, thoughts, etc. The first painting is 50"x50" and is oil on canvas, done from a live model. The second painting is a diptych and is 32"x20" and I used a pumice gel as the base and went over it with acrylic and then several layers of oil. It is the second painting of this image that I have done and I am planning on producing a mural sized painting of this image, probably about 10x14'.

I had to scale these down big time, why couldn't I make the second image 600 x 500,but I can make the first image 500 x 600?
Hey Collin!

Were the White Stripes the inspiration for your title "You have no faith in medicine"? Like Tam, I love the size of the first piece. I like the message of the title and the red glow of his blistered silhouette. I think I'd like a detail close up of the second picture. The ingredients sound intriguing though!

The specs for posting pictures is 500 pixels wide (limit of width) 600 pixels tall (limit of height)—highly limiting to viewing the landscaped piece. I usually create some 'tall' detail shots of a landscaped piece from the larger, higher dpi original photo or scan, crop the original as close to its edges as possible, size it to the maximum width at 72 dpi and post the bigger details so the actual effect of the smaller showing landscaped shot can be appreciate (LOL or mocked :evil: )

Don't worry, no mocking from me. I just love texture and would really like to see a close-up. btw, welcome!

Collin
04-05-2004, 12:12 AM
You are right on about theWhite Stripes, I had this hanging in a student show and the theme was ritual, I didn't have a title for it, so I picked that, music comes into my work a good bit, be it titles, or getting ideas from lyrics. I don't understand what you are saying about resizing and all of that, I am computer illiterate, but you can see the full size image on my web page at portfolios.com.
http://www.portfolios.com/profile.html?MyUrl=CollinMcKelvey