PDA

View Full Version : Beads in Memphis?

Iona
04-04-2004, 03:09 PM
Are there any good bead shops or Lampworking shops in Memphis Tenn.? Iona

chrisdd
04-04-2004, 03:50 PM
There are NO lampwork stores in Memphis. There is a stained glass store that carries a few things...one graphite marver, a couple sampler packs of moretti, bullseye stringer, dichro rods. They charge 10 times what you'd pay for glass from Frantz. Plus, the guy I talked to at the store knew nothing about lampworking, but tried to give the impression that he did and gave me bad information. Luckily, I knew enough by then to know he was full of it. :D

Bead stores are a little better. Nomadic Notions is close to my house, so that's where I go when I need something right away. Pretty good selection for a small store, but very expensive compared to what you can buy online. I've never gone to the 2 other stores, Need to Bead and Crystal Bead Boutique.

I'm sorry we don't have more to offer. :(

Iona
04-05-2004, 11:44 AM
Thanks, Chris, Can you tell me some neat stores to see in Memphis? Since they don't have great bead stores, how about hand made jewelry or unsual or unique clothing stores? I'm not a far out person, no extra rings except on my fingers but I do like artistic clothing. I thought I'd check out these when we visit our son in Memphis. Iona

CarlaAlexander
04-05-2004, 04:11 PM
I got burned at Touch of Glass before I knew better. I am sure that is the store she is talking about. Our local store calls it Touch your @$$ because the guy is handsy. I always take my dh in there with me so he leaves me alone. BUT you DON"T want to go there. If I recall I paid $4 for ONE rod of red before I got started. I believe my bill was close to $30 for just a few rods of glass. I have been protesting it ever since I got my first Franz catalog. THOUGH if you do stained glass too he has some neat and different things in there.

I would say West TN is a dry spot for lampworking anything.

Iona
04-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Thanks, I'll not go to that one store thank you very much! :eek: I've only been to Memphis once years ago, and that was to the Defense Depo where a friend lived. We had a great visit with her for a week. We Batiked off and on all week and went to a few neat places in the afternoons. I loved Audbon Park, and a few old stores somewhere downtown. Must be terrible to live where you don't have many lampworkers. We have a Bead Blast scheduled for May 8th & 9th at the Overland Park Convention Center. There will be bead vendors there as well as Lampwork Artists beads for sale. Check the K.C. Bead Society web site for more info. In live close to K.C., Mo. and get to see several lampworkers quite often, there is only one other lampworker here where I live and she doesn't work at it as much as I do. Thanks again, Iona

Charlee
04-06-2004, 08:44 PM
I got burned at Touch of Glass before I knew better. I am sure that is the store she is talking about. Our local store calls it Touch your @$$ because the guy is handsy.

Ooooh I am dying to know if this is who I think it is! PM me if you don't want to post it. :evil: I lived in Memphis 1984-2000 and worked 84-85 at Rainbow Studio (http://www.rainbowstudio.com) which was in Midtown back then. We worked on the William Len and some other big downtown renovations and if I never bulid another iris or cotton boll window again, it'll be too soon. :evil: The stained glass community there was a very small and somewhat incestuous group.

As for cool places to go in Memphis, there's a lot of stuff downtown. Peabody Place (http://www.belz.com/peabody/index.html) is kind of mall-ish, but has some interesting things. The cool/funky stuff is going to be on Madison near and on Overton Square and in the Cooper-Young district. Look for the Shoppe of TutUncommon (on Madison), Otherlands (on Cooper) & Bella Notte (on Young) & eat a burger at the real Huey's at Madison & Tucker. There's a good beadshop, Nomadic Notions, on Overton Square - expect high prices. There are 1 or 2 others, but I've not been to them.

Have a great time!
Charlee

Patch
04-06-2004, 09:28 PM
I got burned at Touch of Glass before I knew better. I am sure that is the store she is talking about. Our local store calls it Touch your @$$ because the guy is handsy. I always take my dh in there with me so he leaves me alone. BUT you DON"T want to go there. If I recall I paid $4 for ONE rod of red before I got started. I believe my bill was close to $30 for just a few rods of glass. I have been protesting it ever since I got my first Franz catalog. THOUGH if you do stained glass too he has some neat and different things in there.

I would say West TN is a dry spot for lampworking anything.

First time I bought glass, that was about the price I paid... from $3.75 to 4.50 for each rod, transparent colors which was about $47. for a bit less than 2 pound. I know better now and of course, will never order there again. Still frustrate me though.
Patch

chrisdd
04-06-2004, 11:04 PM
LOL, yes I was talking about the guy at Touch of Glass.

Other good places, in addition to what was recommended by Charlee:
-great shop with funky clothes and jewelry is Lost in Paradise on Union
-Cafe' 1912 on Cooper for down to earth rustic French food, and all wine by the glass is $5.
-Also on Cooper is the Beauty Shop, another great place to eat.
-the whole of South Main downtown is an artsy shopping heaven...art galleries, fabulous stores, great restaurants. One of my faves is the Five Spot (only 5 tables!) right behind Ernestine and Hazel's (there's no sign out front). If you go into Muse, ask them to see some jewelry by Elemental Mojo (mine :D ).
-Out East is Timna's...beautiful handmade clothing (all sizes), accessories and gifty stuff. Expensive. Would love to get my jewelry in her store.

Hope you have fun while you're here, Iona. And BTW...I graduated from high school in KC, MO! Small world, eh?