PDA

View Full Version : Magdalene's Gift

jnet11
04-04-2004, 02:02 PM
wow, I feel like I've been posting a lot lately ... hope you all don't mind another.

This is "magdalene's gift" oil on canvas, 24" x 30"

I've been working on this one for about a month now, it still has some detail work needed ... darkest darks in the cloak, far right hand, his pants, the book, maybe a glaze to distinguish the objects on the right wall, but the majority of my ambition is shown here. Lots of symbols in this one, and lots of personal meaning. Tell me what you think, crits especially, I really want to push this one as far as I can.

sorry for the skewed pic, and the glare, some parts are still wet.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2004/1089-powers_MagdalensGift.jpg

Ali the Cat
04-04-2004, 04:19 PM
I really like this painting, like the reflective satiny quality you have on the purple robe and the way you have caught the expression on her face. And I love the way you have painted his hand!!! reminded me a bit of the way Egon shiele did his hands.

Collin
04-04-2004, 08:08 PM
I just saw this in the other thread, unfinished. Did you use a Venetian Red for underpainting?

Tamana
04-04-2004, 09:55 PM
The truth. And, it will survive. :)

I think we're all Magdalenes inside...

Beautifully rendered; the painting tells the story even without the title.

As far as crits, I'm not sure about his positioning, I know he's turned, but the shoulder still looks somewhat too narrow for the size of his arm. Additionally, his elbow seems elongated against that accent of red, almost like hanging flesh. She (erm you) seems to be in perfect porportion, except for maybe the thumb reaching across the book to the top, unless it's a very narrow book.

I love the skull in the background countered with the bottle: death and life; questions and answers. What's really intriquing is the tree that appears to be branching out of him; I am the husbandman and you are the vine, like he is the actual trunk. The sky and his pants (even though unfinished) pull the blue from the purple robe signifying royalty. :) And she was. The window frame pulls the skin tones and stucco look walls in and the entire painting evelope flaps over itself and carries the eyes to the blue of black tree in the top viewer's left.

This monitor sucks. Are there hints of purple in the branches?

*clap clap* I love the idea as much as the execution of it.

jnet11
04-05-2004, 12:32 PM
ali: whew, you are good. Schiele is one of my biggest influences, I've spent hundreds of hours studying his paintings.

collin: it is actually an acrylic cad red medium.

tam: that elbow is my biggest bother in this piece, I was wondering if it would call out to any of you as well. "I am the husbandman and you are the vine, like he is the actual trunk. " beautifully said, my friend. yes there are hints of purple in the tree ... visual mixing mostly.

The blue pants bother me, too, i made them blue to resonate the sky, as you picked up on, but Im thinking they should realistically be brown. Very undecided on the fate of the pants.

thanks for all your comments :)

arourapope
04-05-2004, 12:50 PM
Hey hey!
Just a quicky post as I'm about to run out the door.
First of all this is a fantastic, powerful and moving piece. I see lots and lots of wonderful things happening in it, and that tree is up there among them... Tree of Life, fruit, seed/ Homo botanicus. The elbow bugs me too, though. I think maybe it just pokes out too much. Have you tried looking at your elbow in the mirror? I think it should be smaller and maybe a bit more rounded off. Maybe... Elbows always give me fits. It would be a lot easier if arms didn't have them.

Tamana
04-05-2004, 01:59 PM
Make the pants the brown of her eyes and his hair...

VieSaintSo
04-05-2004, 03:38 PM
i know nothing about elbows.... :p i LOVE her! she's magnificiant!
he, doesn't move me like she does...(sounds like a song liric!) maybe its because he is sideways...the close up of her face:WOW on your choice of palette, the soft expression in her eyes, her lips her nose....all of her :clap:

ashling
04-06-2004, 08:38 AM
i kinda like the quirky perspective
why fix whats there
wots there is grouse
in all its quirky glory
it makes my heart beat heavier & faster
i like it lots
:)

nine malic molds
04-06-2004, 12:20 PM
isn't there a name for works that deal with isssues of mortality and have skulls in them? but beyond that question i think it's a good piece and appears to have alot of symbolism which is always good for a mental treat.