PDA

View Full Version : eBay selling tips Part II

tammy
09-01-2001, 02:07 PM
Here it is Lee, but really if you look at the arrow that is right before the title of any forum message it takes you to the last post if you click on it.

Anyway, folks part II and away! :)

Sumafra
09-01-2001, 10:29 PM
Good Idea.!! ;)

tammy
09-01-2001, 10:45 PM
Thanks Suzette. I don't think Lee noticed yet though! LOL
Keep the good tips coming. I love hearing how everyone is doing and how they are doing it.

kildaire
09-02-2001, 03:58 PM
;) Hello there when i tried to get on the front page show my important work to get noticed ebay daid i did not have enough numbers???? so after your name then a number is that for how many pieces youhave sold? and how many people have written back and said how they were happy with your work?

I find this pretty daunting that ill have to sell perhaps 50 or even get replies from 50 til im able to go on the front advertisitn my work, it says the same before you can use the buy it now tab.....

it will take a long time especially if i only sell two pieces a week and not everyone writes back saying how they were happy.

I have just my name faithus and then number 1 at the side of that......

could some-one explain to me please????/ from one confused artist!!

leesmith
09-02-2001, 04:23 PM
Hey Tammy,

yes I did notice thanks! I have been visiting the other one using the little arrow thingy that you and several others told me! LOL
I notice that when I do a reply, it takes forever to load, but maybe it's supposed too, he he!

And to Kildaire, yes certain features like buy it now are delayed till you get your feedback number up to a certain number.
( someone help out, I think it is 10 to use BUY IT NOW??? ) Because I use it and don't yet have 20 FB yet. How many FB to use the gallery promo thing, I think she is asking about? ( if anyone knows right off hand)

Kildare, BUT it's EZ to get the number up; anytime you need to buy anything, look on ebay first for that item, and buy some inexpensive things that you would have bought locally anyway, gifts even. I also told my sister about their great prices on ebay on the Florentine, she collects too, and she had me bid on items for her, which she reimbursed me. I bought some Florentine pieces for myself which I collect anyway, videos and a pair of shoes even! Be sure and ask the seller to leave feedback for you since you are new. And be sure you leave feedback for your sellers.

While you're building your FB number, go ahead and list some older or smaller works, realizing that you may not get prices to start that you normally do if you are in galleries; research what sells, fine tune your listing info by looking at other ads, and set up any accounts you need like paypal or billpoint to receive credit card payments. Have fun and good luck!

leesmith
09-02-2001, 04:47 PM
Hi Kildaire,

I went to your ebay listings; you have sold a good number!

I really love the square folk art sun face, with gold and navy mats, but it does not look like you take bids from US. Plus I don't know what size 26 cm X 26 cm is in "inches".

If any of those sold went overseas, it could take a while; I sold a large painting to a lady in UK, we had to send it surface economy, cost $30.45 US $; took 4 weeks and 1 day for her to receive it!

Most of my buyers email once they've received a painting. I have had only 1 buyer who did not leave feedback; she had emailed that she received it and said it was "wonderful" and promised to leave FB. She hasn't. After checking her feedback record that she has left for her sellers, I learned she mostly does not leave FB! So I don't feel too badly.

tammy
09-02-2001, 05:53 PM
Feedback ack! I have 8 but I've sold several more where they did not leave fB. I notice that their fb changes almost every day and I check and they take fb but they do not leave it, for anyone! I don't know what to think of the fb thing really. Some buy and sell based on it alone and some don't. Really frustrating.

I've been using Buy it now since it began and I have low fb.

kildaire
09-02-2001, 08:00 PM
Theres now a paypal logo on each sale thanks for your advice;

we are looking for new members on ;

www.globalphotos.com

there is a section called photos and crafts which is where i have put a lot of my work, we hope for good marketing as artists and craftworkers can display their goods and have a link put to their site, sounds great idea but we desperately DESPERATELY need new members and artists craftspeople.... please take a look and join, put in some of your fantastic pictures,,, every little bit helps doesnt it and i thought about all you artists out there. were just a little hamlet in England....needing more wonderful people like you.

thanks

faith:)

Sumafra
09-02-2001, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by kildaire
we are looking for new members on ;

www.globalphotos.com

there is a section called photos and crafts which is where i have put a lot of my work, we hope for good marketing as artists and craftworkers can display their goods and have a link put to their site, :)

Kildaire, I went there but couldn't se a photos and crafts section. ??? :confused:

hairballsdotcom
09-03-2001, 01:26 AM
there is a section called photos and crafts I couldn't find it either...

kildaire
09-03-2001, 05:51 AM
Hi there sorry everyone...... I typed in the sales site.. but hopefully this can connect you to what I was talking about earlier I cannot stress how much we are desperately seeking new members and crafts people to show their work and what they do

PLEASE PLEASE JOIN

http://globalphotos.homestead.com/index.html

global photos tab comes up... and there it says enter,when you enter hopefully you can see the photography and art tab but first join...... which is simple just like wet-canvas

oh i hope this will work this time, if theres still more problems Ill be back again

Kildaire, kathleen faith

carly
09-03-2001, 06:43 PM
at Ebay. Ebay is redoing the Art/Antiques categories and soon there will be a category just for Self-Representing Artists! That will be really nice and will take our paintings out of all the 'dead' artists works.
carly

kildaire
09-04-2001, 06:54 AM
What a great idea........ iknow what you mean to take us away from the DEAD artists.... hopefully this will give us more scope more chances for for buyers to buy art from the LIVE artists.

Yippeee I sold the green man in folkart and a contemporary image which I called Van Gogh's dream. They are all going to good homes. I didnt sell them for much that didnt matter its the fact theya re going to good homes :p

BlossomArt
09-04-2001, 03:18 PM
Can't wait for that new ebay category! I'm hoping it will make a difference in getting me some bids! Will the new category be called "EBSQ"? I read on another post that it starts October 1st! :clap: Just in time for the holidays!

timelady
09-04-2001, 04:18 PM
A NEW EBAY QUESTION:

Lots of listings on same day? Or lots of listings on different days?

Might sound like a strange question but I'm wondering which is better. Ideally, my aim is actually to list one or two items each day so I have an ongoing set of auctions. Of course, I see all these artists with about 10 in a row in the listings! So do they list them all on the same day, wait for them to end, then list a dozen more?

Listing lots at one time would make it more costly, especially since I've been doing more and more 5 days auctions - since I don't get bids until the last day anyway.

So, especially for all of you doing quite well listing lots of low-price work - what's your schedule for listings?

:)
Tina.

pixelscapes
09-04-2001, 04:45 PM
Tina,
My impression is that if you list a lot of auctions on the same day, there's a good chance they'll end up competing with each other (especially if you're auctioning off similar items, paintings, etc).

I haven't been ebaying lately but I try to keep my auctions spread out over time, so that on any given day, there's something in the "Ending soon" area that gets a lot of hits, and meanwhile there's other items available in differently-timed auctions. So there's always something up there for somebody to bid on, if they want.

However, there's also some people who really seem to prefer to list all at once (usually on some supposedly "ideal" day like a Thursday for a 10-day auction). Some folks find it much easier to manage their auctions like this -- do all your shipping at once, etc, etc.

-=- Jen "How's that sound?" de la Cruz

pixelscapes
09-04-2001, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by tammy
I notice that their fb changes almost every day and I check and they take fb but they do not leave it, for anyone!

You could always refuse to give feedback until they put feedback on you... I think it's fair for the seller to wait and see what the buyer slaps on their record. Or just don't give them any if they won't give you any.

Or leave feedback of, "Notice this person doesn't leave feedback?" ;)

It may just be that they don't understand how/why to leave feedback.

-=- Jen "I prefer to feed my front" de la Cruz

kildaire
09-04-2001, 06:25 PM
i found when I listed a load of things together. it did not always work as very often a lot of my work did not sell and this of course left it rather costly.

i put things on bit by bit, either one each day or one everycouple of days.... just so that its not such a big blow if the whole lot went through the bidding and nothing sold, dont be tempted to lower the price too much you are an aritst and your work has value and quality just like everyone else's, you've worked hard to get there. The pieces of work which i value and feel special i sell at a price which is not too cheap but not too sky high either.
If the person loves your work enough, money is no option!
Often for pieces Ive mentioned earlier i would perhaps have to relist them several times.... but one day i keep saying to myself like pets, they will find their rightful owner who says...... now thats the picture that will fit on my wall........

I feel The English Ebay is just a little bit behind American Ebay in their popularity and the amount of people that use them... who knows in given time there will be more and more people catch the bug on selling and buying on Ebay as it is so much easier!!

:cool:

tammy
09-04-2001, 07:34 PM
I almost always have something listed. I usually list everything at once on the same day, rather little or much. I don't have any special day to do it and I might do it several days a week. In other words..I have no schedule! I almost always do the 7 day auction so I can get at least one weekend in.

tammy
09-04-2001, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by pixelscapes

You could always refuse to give feedback until they put feedback on you... I think it's fair for the seller to wait and see what the buyer slaps on their record. Or just don't give them any if they won't give you any.

Or leave feedback of, "Notice this person doesn't leave feedback?" ;)

It may just be that they don't understand how/why to leave feedback.

-=- Jen "I prefer to feed my front" de la Cruz

I've thought about all those options, but now that I have more than 0 its really not too big a deal. Most of my buyers seem really nice so far and I figure that if I go ahead and give the fb it will come back to me sooner or later..Maybe? Anyway, it helps me feel that I've completed the process.

tammy
09-04-2001, 07:43 PM
I spend some time on eBay sometimes like on the message and chat boards and sometimes I tend to forget that its an auction site for all. Just because I list art sometimes I forget that on the boards not everyone there is an artist. LOL. Does anyone else feel that way sometimes?

leesmith
09-04-2001, 08:18 PM
hi Tammy,

I visit the chat boards too, great place to find out what the probs are at ebay. So many weird situations can crop up. When I see what other people are selling, I feel kinda special!:cool:

arteitaliana
09-04-2001, 09:45 PM
A list bit by bit...as soon as one listing ends i put another one up,or relist. I like to have 10 listings showing at once, this way there is the possibility that some of them will have bids (last week I has six bids out of ten listings!!) and I think this is encouraging for bidders. Listing all at once in my opinion gives the appearance of "dumping" and confuses the bidders.
Anyway, my system seem to be working for the time being....!!:clap:

hairballsdotcom
09-04-2001, 11:26 PM
I know this thread is about eBay, but I was wondering if anyone has heard of Bargain & Haggle? It works differently than an auction. You list your item at the price you want, then people start making you offers -- you can take the offer or wait for another offer. Another artist said he was trying it out and so far liked it.
http://www.bargainandhaggle.com

leesmith
09-05-2001, 01:13 AM
Hi Lori,

I checked out the haggle deal. How do you tell if anyone has offered a negotiation?

Sumafra
09-05-2001, 04:08 AM
I've been listing 5 or 6 at one time, timing it so that my auctions will end on a weekend. Apparently, weekends is when most people look, and many like to bid at the last minute. So that seemed like a good idea. I considering trying a different approach although I have had luck with the above.

BlossomArt
09-05-2001, 06:52 AM
Well, I just started doing ebay because I just started painting again (LOL!!!) - so I put up my first bunch of auctions all at once - like about seven of them. Then, as I paint something, I post it, so I'm generally placing an auction up every other night or so. I put up the ten day auction simply 'cos the more days, the more bids - I figure it can't hurt. I haven't noticed whether any of my methods are good or bad as I think I need a lot more practice before I start putting stuff out there that will sell. But I do know one girl who has a ton of auctions up at once, her stuff is fairly similar to mine, and it sells hand over fist! But I think she might have a "fan club", so I'm not really sure what the trick is that hers fares better. Right now, I'm just excited for the EBSQ category in October!

leesmith
09-05-2001, 05:37 PM
I have been using 10 day auctions, if you list early Thursday afternoon, the listing will appear to the public by that evening. Then I go on to other work for the next 10 days. Ebay is like a silent partner.

With 10 day auctions, listing on Thursday, you go thru 2 week ends doing this with all auctions ending on Sunday when bidders can more readily protect their bids from last minute bidders. If using instant pay, all can be paid quickly, pack and ship all out on same day!

Now, I've thought about trying some of the shorter auctions thinking perhaps bidders will go ahead and place bids early.

Has anyone used 3 day auctions with any degree of success?
Has anyone used 3 day auctions during the week days? Anyone's thoughts on this?

I have to admit 10 days seems like a very long time! I think most people use 5 or 7 days.

leesmith
09-05-2001, 05:46 PM
Oh, I wanted to ask if anyone else has observed this phenomenom: you list, then anxiously check several times each day for bids; no bids, you repeat this for several days.

Then you get so ticked, you say, to heck with this, and you don't even bother for several days. Then....

Bingo! Bids!

Is that kind of like, " a watched clock is always stopped" or " a watched pot never boils". Just wondered if it's me.:D

tammy
09-05-2001, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by hairballsdotcom
I know this thread is about eBay, but I was wondering if anyone has heard of Bargain & Haggle
Yes, I've of them before and didn't do it before because I didn't have a credit card. Also I'm not sure, but some of their fees look to be higher than eBay's. I'm not sure because I accept eBay's fees as a fact of life so I don't keep track.

For those who know eBay's fees by heart, here is one of what Bargain & haggle calls transactions fees.

No listing fees, but for something that sells Between 25.00 and 100.00, they charge 1.25 plus 5% of the balance amount over 25.00.

That seems higher than eBay to me. Is it?
Still with no listing fees at least you don't pay unless you sell something. That could be good..
I dunno, you'd just have to check out the site for yourselves. I'm not sure if I'm getting the info correct.

tammy
09-05-2001, 06:00 PM
Lee,
You know what's funny? I used the 3 day auction before and no bids. Then like last week with a 7 day auction I had 3 of mine go within hours of listing! Go figure. Guess it was just the right time and day. Just happened. May not again. dunno. I feel that the 7 day is the safest.

leesmith
09-07-2001, 07:12 AM
Hi Tammy,

I don't see too many 3 days, just wondering if the short duration would give a sense of urgency to bidding. The ones I've seen state 3 day auction in the title.

If I painted all the time just for ebay, I would probably use shorter auction. Shorter ones would definitely need to be timed to fall over the week end. Traffic is much better.

leesmith
09-07-2001, 11:38 PM
Hey Tammy and everybody,

Do you ever go in and revise your listing if you have no bids after a few days?

I did that on a rooster ( lol) a while back, viewers but no bidders, and after I revised the minimum bid and the Buy It Now price, it sold on the BIN. It had a good number of viewers.

So... I just checked, cat still has just 1 bid, pears have no bids and nada on the pop art cats....so I revised the minimum bids on the last 2 and the BIN , so we'll see what happens over the week end on the pears. If it doesn't sell, I think I'll take it downtown to the gallery, they have good Christmas sales. You know I got to thinking, if viewer see that we systematically relist and lower prices if no bid, what is the incentive for a buyer to buy it on the first listing?? I know there is always the possibility of a last day last minute bidder but I always FEEL better to see a bid at least half thru the auction. What do you think? So I'm thinking, any of mine that get no bids, I will not relist, just put somewhere locally.

The viewers are good, 77, on the pears, it's in a new frame; the pop art cats dancing I listed under Collectibles Art, has the fewest views. There's over 6 days left on that one and first pop art piece I put on. I think it's kinda cute, she is wearing high heel shoes.

Sumafra
09-08-2001, 01:47 AM
Hi everyone,

I really wonder is there is a strategy that works better than others, other than being on during the weekend. I think it's just luck, having the right person at the right time seeing your work. Some of the ones I've sold I had listed before and they had not sold, relisted them a few months later and sold them. So I don't know. But I think PRICE matters. People are definitely looking for bargains. It's only good for pieces I've shown several times and want t get rid of. I just can't see getting a good price on a good piece. I list one once in a while with a decent price, just to see what will happen, but never any bids.

Oh well, someone said that for ebay it is best to do small pieces that you can do quickly. I have to agree with that.

tammy
09-08-2001, 11:50 PM
I don't really have a special method for revising or relisting. Sometimes I do one or the another and sometimes I just leave them be.

tammy
09-08-2001, 11:53 PM
Oh, most of my revising is done because I made a boo-boo in my listing! LOL

tammy
09-08-2001, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Sumafra
Oh well, someone said that for ebay it is best to do small pieces that you can do quickly. I have to agree with that.

This works for me sometimes but not all the time. :)

tammy
09-08-2001, 11:57 PM
You know what I think is cool? I might not sell alot but the quality of my buyers is great! Some really neat people buy my stuff and so far have not had problems with the transaction parts.

Sumafra
09-09-2001, 01:25 AM
Same here Tammy. Mine have all been good. Only had one buyer who took several days to get back to me. Otherwise all have been instant reply and payment. And all have been very complimentary of their painting. Feels quite nice actually. :)

BlossomArt
09-09-2001, 10:46 AM
Hi again, everyone -

Sorry to "hijack" this post in a different direction, but my question does have to do with ebay sales. I posted this yesterday in the photography section, but got no replies. I figured since this thread is still going hot and heavy, someone here may know the answer to my question. Since I paint, and also do my own photography which I'd like to sell on ebay as well, the question is more in the realm of selling my photos as opposed to my paintings. Hope you guys don't mind - here is the post in it's entirety from the other forum. Thanks again for your help and input!

A Newbie Question: Legalities and/or Relases?
Hi everyone - hoping someone can answer my question!

I've just recently (after a haitus of about 18 years) gotten back into my artwork, which consists of both painting and photography. Mostly, I've been doing acrylic paintings, but I also wanted to get some of my more interesting photos posted here and on ebay. My question is this: If I take a picture of just some random person in the street (either recently or long ago), am I allowed to then sell that photograph on ebay? What is the legal fine line? I know there might be some instances where I'd need to obtain a release form, but I'm just not sure where or when. For example, I just took a peek at Drapier's "Only in New York" photo (excellent picture, by the way!). This is a perfect example of what I mean - did you have to obtain your subject's permission? Could you reasonably sell that picture since it's yours? I have quite a few photos of some interesting characters around NY myself, and it's a shame not to have them be seen.

Thanks for any advice!

Lisa :cat:

leesmith
09-09-2001, 11:01 PM
Hi girls and guys!

Lisa, I sure don't know about the photographs that you took, may be a prob with privacy. If you were painting it that would be a different story you could just use it for reference, give the people expressions, different hair or no hair, or mustache or change the clothes, etc. I hope you get your answer from someone.

I just noticed something interesting tonight on ebay id...wallrabenstein, ginette art, don't know if she's a WC member, but she is putting this in her listings, something to this effect: Notice: We do not relist items. So it looks like she has figured that bidders are not bidding, even on a reasonable price, perhaps until she relists at a lower price. Like I said, if we all systematically relist ( I think we have to within 30 days to get the relist fee credited if it sells 2nd time around ) and our bidders know we normally relist, what is the incentive ( other than someone else snatching it last minute). I've even browsed all the cats, there are only a few getting decent or high bids, so I still think there may be a little slump yet. Something else I noticed, the numbers of lookers have dramatically increased today
( Sunday ) , yet still no bids. I'm thinking I won't relist any that don't sell. Don't know if this is the economy or not. Home interest rates here in our area are around 6.50% with some lenders offering 5.75% with points. So, we'll keep fingers crossed that sales are going to get STEADY again for Christmas. If they don't, that may be a big indication that people are holding back for fear of losing their job or maybe have already lost their job. Everyone I know spends and owes $ like there's no tomorrow, but me, I'm always, always careful with our $ spending mainly because I owe a lot too. Tight some would say!:D

tammy
09-10-2001, 12:33 AM
Hi Lee,
I sold two today. :clap:
One was a cat. Wanna see it. Ok I knew you did. :D
Here is the one I sold.

leesmith
09-10-2001, 12:36 AM
I love it, Tammy !

Where did you list it? category? How did I miss this one? I saw the autumn lake/trees???

leesmith
09-10-2001, 12:38 AM
Tammy, what other one did you sell? The lake???

Great going girl!

tammy
09-10-2001, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by BlossomArt
Hi again, everyone -

Could you reasonably sell that picture since it's yours? I have quite a few photos of some interesting characters around NY myself, and it's a shame not to have them be seen.

Thanks for any advice!

Lisa :cat:

Lisa, if I were you I'd be very careful with this and get Legal advise or something especially since the big thingy about Celebrity privacy rights and stuff like that has been in news this last year. I believe that you do have to get people releases, but not sure. I've been known to paint peoples backs and stuff but you can't tell who they are. I've read up on it a little myself but it could be one of those complicated issues with lots of fine lines.
Just my opinion but I think you better really check into it before you do anything.

tammy
09-10-2001, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by leesmith
Tammy, what other one did you sell? The lake???

Great going girl! Thanks! They waited until auction end to bid on these this time.
I think I used Folk Art catagory on the cat. The other one I sold was the Bumblebees in my garden one.
These were cheapies. The cat is going to Canada.

leesmith
09-10-2001, 12:48 AM
Hey Tammy,

You just got a bid on "Pat".

C'est moi!

tammy
09-10-2001, 12:54 AM
Hey Tammy,

You just got a bid on "Pat".

C'est moi!
Cool, A fellow ebsq'er was interested in that one that last time I listed it (it has definiately been around the auctions a few times :)

I'll have to go look!
Thanks lee.

leesmith
09-10-2001, 12:58 AM
Tammy,

If I win Pat, it will go in my BR, thinking to do something tropical in there. I've been planning to paint in there for 2 1/2 years now, going to do some kind of a textured paint, maybe blocks, palm trees something. I've cut out a bedspread just haven't gotten aroundtuit yet! LOL

Where are these parrots from?

leesmith
09-10-2001, 01:03 AM
Nite Tammy, going to hit the hay. I've got to work tomorrow.

See you tomorrow!

Work is good. :D

tammy
09-10-2001, 01:04 AM
Tammy,

If I win Pat, it will go in my BR, thinking to do something tropical in there. I've been planning to paint in there for 2 1/2 years now, going to do some kind of a textured paint, maybe blocks, palm trees something. I've cut out a bedspread just haven't gotten aroundtuit yet! LOL

Where are these parrots from?

You bid on Pat? :) Really?

I don't know where these parrots come from but I got mine from this man around the corner that we sell our baby cockatiels to. LOL.
I have a book but I don't know where I put it. It would say.
Did you know that they are illegal to keep in some of the states? I think they are compared to being pests! Some places they are legal but you can't take them across some state lines. That's what I read anyway.

BlossomArt
09-10-2001, 06:08 AM
First off, before anything else, Tammy - congratulations on your sale! And it's money well-spent for the buyer, too - that's an absolutely beautiful painting!!!

Second, thanks for the input - I had a feeling it could be a dicey issue, and maybe I'll just stick with my animal and nature shots. Might be worth my while to pop into a few of the photo galleries here in NY to ask how they get around it. None of the people in my photos are celebrities, that's just the thing. Mostly just street performers, or as in one case, I took a beautifut shot of a kid who's family lived near our college back in 1986, in the picture he's hugging and kissing his cat. I have no idea what they're names were, how to contact them, etc. So, yeah, I suppose because of privacy rights, it's a beautiful shot that no one's gonna see. Oh, well! Thanks very much for the advice - I'll check it out before I print up anything!

BlossomArt
09-10-2001, 06:16 AM
Weeeeelll, getting off the subject of the photography and back to the painting, do you guys mind terribly if I show you my latest painting I did the other night? (I promise, I PROMISE to re-post it over in the Critique Forum where it belongs, but you guys all give such great responses over here, LOL!!!)

I call it "Unfinished Abstract":

leesmith
09-10-2001, 08:48 AM
Hi Tammy,

Bad news is I retracted on Pat..... but the good news is I re bid the BIN price! :clap: So you have another sale and I have Pat for sure!:D

tammy
09-10-2001, 07:52 PM
Weeeeelll, getting off the subject of the photography and back to the painting

I'm terrible about abstracts. Don't know a thing about em. My first impression is that it has the Primary colors in it and I'd call it "Primary Conflict". Very interesting arrangement.

tammy
09-10-2001, 07:55 PM
First off, before anything else, Tammy - congratulations on your sale!

Thanks, I appreciate that. BTW, I love your lightening photos. I only have a cheap digital camera, but I love taking photos of lightening and storms in general.

Sumafra
09-10-2001, 10:33 PM

I like it Blossomart - it's very bright and cheerful, the colours don't clash - I like it, it's cheerful.

arteitaliana
09-11-2001, 12:40 AM
hellooooo!! Tammy, I think Lee just bought one of you pieces.....are you aware of that? I see you are responding to everybody but Lee....maybe you missed reading her post?
:D

basia2
09-11-2001, 05:34 AM
Hi Tina...is long after your question...but maybe you will read this...i list at once many pieces....after the auction ends i'll take a day off to pack all the sold drawings, answer all e-mails and the day after or two will list again ... i don't worry about keeping track of the business it looks easy this way...some people already know my tactic and call it...'this week auction' ...or so...

maybe i'll try soon to put my new oils for sell to see for what kind of money they can go...as more people are asking me about it...

so far i'm lucky...how long i will continue with my drawings i don't know but will think about bigger pieces if i'll have enough time for it...drawings are easy to mail, i draw them anyhow (just kept them in the drawer before), time to time i get many bids on them...

is great to sell one piece for a lot of money but if someone bought from me already 15 drawings and many other a 3-4 it makes me happy... is also easier for me then for you be easy with money because my hubby is a family supporter...if i'll not sell i'll still have money for a materials...

i also think is good idea to stay with the title...i tried last week [email protected](don't know if i was allowed!)..but got a half less views then on ebsq items...and got 2 e-mails sking if i'll list more this week...

please feel free to e-mail (everybody) me if you want talk about it as i'm less and less at WC because i started college and have a lot to do..:)

basia

BlossomArt
09-11-2001, 06:59 AM
Thanks, Suzette and Tammy, I appreciate it!

Tammy, I saw your second post to me - I think you have me mixed up with someone else. I haven't done any lightening/storm photos, but WOW, that sounds beautiful! I'll bet whoever does do those photos has some wonderful work on their hands - must be really satisfying to have something as "catch as catch can" as a lightening storm turn out just right in a photo!

timelady
09-11-2001, 08:25 AM
Hi basia. I've just started listing lots of things at once, but for different end dates. So maybe 2 5-days, 3 7-days and 2 10-day auctions. Hopefully that will give me a presence for a while but I don't have to list more than once a week. It's a time-consuming process waiting for all those screens to load... if anyone can recommend a free web-based listing tool I might give it a try. So far I've only seen PC ones that you download. I can use those but prefer not to connect from my PC emulator.

I've made a concentrated effort to list things under $50 this month. I've just sold the 5th one! Definitely think the price is the reason now and not esra or ebsq - they help get hits but what I mean is that one doesn't seem to be better than the other. So I'm going to make my goal to sell 12 under $50s this month.

As for [email protected], you shouldn't use it unless you've applied for membership. Have a look at their webpage, the link is on my AboutMe page or somewhere in my previous post.

Tina.

tammy
09-11-2001, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Rita Monaco
hellooooo!! Tammy, I think Lee just bought one of you pieces.....are you aware of that? I see you are responding to everybody but Lee....maybe you missed reading her post?
:D

I'm sorry Rita, but I did ask her if she bought my Parrot in a post above and then we spoke with e-mail instead. I'm very happy that she has bought my Parrot. Thanks again Lee.

tammy
09-11-2001, 10:45 AM
Thanks, Suzette and Tammy, I appreciate it!

Tammy, I saw your second post to me - I think you have me mixed up with someone else

I'm so sorry about that. I guess I have confused you with someone in Arizona. I had followed a link to their photography somewhere along the way. Duh!

Call me "Tammy always confused" LOL

CathyD
09-11-2001, 08:49 PM
I have been reading all your great tips and successes and am preparing to launch an ebay campaign of my own. I have a question about the credit card services... Is one better than the other? I hear that Billpoint now accepts electronic checks. Paypal is supposed to be really easy to use. Anyone have any preferences and why?
Thank you!
Cathy :confused:

hairballsdotcom
09-11-2001, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by CathyD
I have a question about the credit card services... Is one better than the other? I hear that Billpoint now accepts electronic checks. Paypal is supposed to be really easy to use. Anyone have any preferences and why? Your best bet is to offer both!

I have both a PayPal and Billpoint account. Since it doesn't cost you anything until you sell something, why not offer as many options as possible. Plus I'm set up to take credit cards too (it DOES cost me regardless! :mad: ). The more bases you cover the better off you are.

I've not had anyone use Billpoint yet, but I haven't been selling much of anything since I opened the account. A person I bought from said he prefered PayPal because its "instantanious" where with Billpoint there can sometimes be a 2-3 day wait for varifications.

I've been using PayPal for a year and half or more (hard to remember) and have done fine with it. I've been taking credit cards myself for about 6 years. Thats definately more costly, but invaluable at shows or anytime you're selling to someone thats not on-line.

CathyD
09-11-2001, 11:53 PM
Gee Hairballs... I didn't know that you could use both. That really makes the decision easy!
Thank you!
:p

CathyD
09-12-2001, 12:19 AM
Ok, more advice pleeeease! I went to sign up for PayPal and came to the part where they ask if you want a personal or business account (Yup, stumped right at the beginning). I figured pretty quickly that I would want a business account if I wanted more than $100 a month in charges. I am just trying this out and I work a full time day job. No business here.... yet! So, here is the question; I am not set up as a 'business'... do I have to get registered in my state as a business or what??? Or do I just open a personal account, and if the charges go over $100 I would think they would attach their finance charge. Is that maybe right?

Thanks! ;)

timelady
09-12-2001, 06:16 AM
If you go over the $100 limit you must change over to a business or premier account - basically PayPal doesn't let you access the money until you upgrade. I don't think you need to be a registered business, they don't ask for any information regarding it like a number or tax number or anything. It's essentially so they can charge more money for people using the service more. It's down to you to declare it on your taxes or not.

I'd recommend you set up a personal account until you hit that $100 limit. That way you don't pay the extra fees until you have to. :) Remember, that $100 is only people who pay with credit cards - it doesn't count payments people make with bank transfers or existing balances on their PayPal accounts. If you ever go over the $100 you just hit the little button to upgrade.

Tina.

CathyD
09-12-2001, 09:24 AM
:clap: Thank you Timelady! That's a relief! I am just wanting to take this step by step and your advice is perfect.

I'm on my way.... until the next question. :)

CarlyHardy
09-12-2001, 01:44 PM
* when I post my auctions

I now try to post a couple of auctions on two to three days a week. I like to have them ending with a day off so I can concentrate on painting sometimes! And this helps with the shipping process too. I don't have to pack up a dozen paintings all at one time!

I try to post my auctions late in the evening because I'm in the eastern time zone and this gives bidders across the country an evening hour to watch the auctions and to bid at the last minute. I do get multiple bids a lot...so that means that many folks watch and wait to see if the painting is still in their budget on the last day! You can check this by watching where your buyers are located!

* relisting

I post for the seven day auctions...its just easier for me to remember! I have relisted a painting for a shorter period of time than for 7 days. I tend to think that if a buyer has seen the painting before and see it relisted...they will bid if interested. I sometimes lower my starting bid...but only by a dollar or two. Never by a larger amount. If you feel you can lower a bid by more than a dollar.....then you listed it too high to begin with! If you do want to lower the bid a lot....wait another couple of weeks and relist it. You can relist an item for up to 90 days! I relisted after a month once! You don't have to do it right away....and if it sells, ebay will refund your prior listing fee.

*photographs and release forms

You should check with your library and see if they have a copy of "The Legal Guide for the Visual Artist" by Tad Crawford. Many of your questions about photographing people on the street will be answered for you....and copies of example release forms are also included.

Basically if the photograph is used for a news event....no releases are necessary, even if you sell the photos to news agencies. (although I've seen releases obtained in this instance for safety!) If sold for personal gain, you need a release if the photo depicts a recognizable image of the person. If you take photos for references, the same is true if you paint a portrait type painting of a person, but if the photo is used for reference only and the person is not recognizable, you do not need releases. If you took a photo of a person that compromised them in some way...and sold it...you could be sued for slander! unless you had their written permission to use it!
A celebrity has a more difficult time with these issues....since the court has often ruled that they are in the public eye! (sort of like a statue or public building!)

*eBay's new category

The new category will be titled "Self Representing Artists"
EBSQ will not be a category, but is a group of self-representing artists who joined together to promote a smaller search vehicle within the huge category of "Paintings" at ebay. They have an online site (which will be entirely new come Oct. 1!) at www.ebsqart.com You can find out all about membership in the group and its requirements at the site. I understand that the founder, John Seed, is in contract talks with eBay to promote the group on the front page of the Art/Antiques section of eBay. But it won't be another category on its own.

[email protected], is another smaller group of artists who have joined together to provide a search vehicle within the huge "Paintings" category. It is limited to 30 artists and requires that an artist maintain an overall positive feedback with ebay. I'm now a member of this group. I like the idea of the positive feedback requirement and the limited number of members. You can find all of us by using {[email protected]} in your search at ebay.

Hope I answered all the questions!
carly
<search CARLYART at eBay!>

CathyD
09-13-2001, 02:31 PM
:clap: Whew! Last night I posted my first auction on ebay, Hurray!
I was thinking ahead... what do any of you do to package up your paintings to ship? I do watercolor and will be sending it unframed. I am thinking about those envelopes made for shipping art. I am only doing small paintings right now. Any suggestions???

Thanks!
Cathy

tammy
09-13-2001, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by CathyD
[BI do watercolor and will be sending it unframed. I am thinking about those envelopes made for shipping art. I am only doing small paintings right now. Any suggestions???

Thanks!
Cathy [/B]

I wish I did! I don't try to do and sell watercolors because I don't know how to ship them and I don't know how to mat them either. I asked kind of this same question in the watercolor forum and I believe that Rod said it was best to mat them and ship them flat..I think. You might want to take a visit to the W/C forum. Lots of good info.
I also think that Carly ships alot of watercolor and she may have lots of good suggestions. I would think that no matter what one should package them at least in some way that they cannot get wet. Maybe someone can give us some suggestions.

BlossomArt
09-13-2001, 04:43 PM
CHClements wrote:

"The new category will be titled "Self Representing Artists" EBSQ will not be a category, but is a group of self-representing artists who joined together to promote a smaller search vehicle within the huge category of "Paintings" at ebay. They have an online site (which will be entirely new come Oct. 1!) at www.ebsqart.com You can find out all about membership in the group and its requirements at the site. I understand that the founder, John Seed, is in contract talks with eBay to promote the group on the front page of the Art/Antiques section of eBay. But it won't be another category on its own. "

Carly, thanks for the info, but I think I did a baaaaad thing (by accident!)! See, I had heard that the ebsq site was going to be gone, and that the category would be called EBSQ on ebay. This is MUCH different from the info you just posted, so please tell me if I just did something wrong - here's what happened. Somewhere, in another post from a couple weeks ago, someone (I don't remember who or what post) also had said that it was okay to start putting EBSQ on our subject lines at ebay to make our searches more noticeable. It also sounded like the EBSQ site was coming down, the new ebay category would be EBSQ, so it was okay to list ourselves as such without the benefit of membership. So, like a lunkhead, I've been tagging my subject lines in my ebay auctions with "EBSQ", and what's worse, I got a small amount of business cards made up, also with EBSQ (as well my screen name) to type in for search, printed on them! I had, prior to even finding THIS site, emailed the EBSQ webmaster to try and get membership info and no one ever replied to me. So, that's the upshot of it - when I got this other info a couple weeks ago, it sounded like EBSQ was no longer going to be an organization, it would be a category and that it would be okay for us to put it in our subject headers on ebay, even before October 1. Sorry for the ramble, but now what should I do? I'd love your advice since you clearly know alot about the topic! Thanks! :)

Sumafra
09-13-2001, 09:58 PM
BlossomArt: ebsq is still around as far as I know and all you have to do is sign up online. Try their website at www.ebsqart.com. It is free and simple to do. But if you are going to use the letters ebsq, then you will have to follow the rules, ie you must have their link on your auction page and you must offer a certificate of authenticy to your purchasers. You can read all about it on their website. It's really not that comlicated.
I do it and I'm not sure whether or not it helps but it certainly can't hurt.

KathyD: on shipping watercolors, here is what I do: I cut a piece of coroplast the same size (or slightly larger) than my painting and wrap it and the painting together in cellophane (the same way I would if I were just matting a piece and offering it for sale). That does 2 things: it prevents the package from being bent, and it protects against moisture. Then I put a piece of cardboard on top, on the side facing the painting. That protects against something puncturing the wrapping. I then wrap the whole lot in brown shipping paper. It's really easy. I buy the coroplast at the building supply store. It's quite reasonable. (PS coroplast is corrugated plastic and extremely strong). I guess if you wanted super protection you could put the coroplast on both sides of the painting. I haven't found that necessary.

I know that some people roll their painting and ship them in tubes. I have been reluctant to do this so I prefer my method.

Good luck. :)

BlossomArt
09-13-2001, 10:18 PM
Suzette, thank you!!!! I don't know if the site changed in the past few weeks, because when I first emailed them about joining, I never got a reply back. Then afterwards was when I got the misinformation I posted above. But just now, I found a link which enabled me to join up with them on my own, so now I'm legitimate :clap:!!! I'm off to surf their site diligently so as not to make the same misstep as before - again, can't thank you enough!

CathyD
09-14-2001, 01:33 AM
Thank you Sumafra for your advice, that sounds like a very sturdy way to ship paintings. I too am reluctant to roll up a watercolor as the buyer may not have the experience to straighten it out. And forget rolling 300lb. paper!

Great tip!
:clap:

tammy
09-14-2001, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Sumafra
on shipping watercolors, here is what I do: I cut a piece of coroplast the same size (or slightly larger) than my painting and wrap it and the painting together in cellophane (the same way I would if I were just matting a piece and offering it for sale). That does 2 things: it prevents the package from being bent, and it protects against moisture. Then I put a piece of cardboard on top, on the side facing the painting. That protects against something puncturing the wrapping. I then wrap the whole lot in brown shipping paper. It's really easy. I buy the coroplast at the building supply store. It's quite reasonable. (PS coroplast is corrugated plastic and extremely strong). I guess if you wanted super protection you could put the coroplast on both sides of the painting. I haven't found that necessary.

I know that some people roll their painting and ship them in tubes. I have been reluctant to do this so I prefer my method.

Good luck. :)

Good advice. Thanks from me too, Sumafra. I had no idea what coroplast was either.

tammy
09-22-2001, 06:39 PM
This is part ii carly :D
Bummp

leesmith
09-24-2001, 11:51 PM
I have some good news... hope I haven't already posted about this.

One of my repeat buyers on ebay wants portraits of each of her 8 cats! She will spread them out probably 1 or 2 each month.

And, as a result of my NY charity auction, the high bidder wants me to do a portrait of her daughter ( with her pet cat ). This came about when she asked for advice on framing, cleaning of painting. I took that opportunity to tell her that the piece she bid on was not my usual "style". I gave her my portfolio site, she visited, and came back with the idea for the portrait. This one has a son who works here in Greensboro. She wants to bring her photos and visit with me in person.

I have a question; how do you put extra thumbnail photos like a mini gallery of previously sold works at the top of the ebay listing? Is this easy to do? And can it be done with the etusa program?

arteitaliana
09-25-2001, 02:29 AM
I am so happy for you Lee!! It is really true that when you do some good, it has a way of coming back to you. I am also listing for tha AFA charity and I am thrilled at the response. This is way to contribute through my generous bidders much more that I could have given otherwise. It feels good.
:)

CathyD
09-25-2001, 03:22 AM
Hurray Lee! That is wonderful news.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Cathy

timelady
09-25-2001, 05:45 AM
I have a question; how do you put extra thumbnail photos like a mini gallery of previously sold works at the top of the ebay listing? Is this easy to do? And can it be done with the etusa program?

Easy peasy. You can either put them in separately using the html below or you can make a "banner" of them as one image. Whichever you prefer. Make image about 100 pixels high or wise in your image software for thumbnails (at 72 dpi). Then just use code this for each image:

p
img src="http://www.tina-m.com/picture1.jpg"
p

Replace my URL with wherever your image is and enclose each line with the pointy brackets <>. I include the p before and after which puts in a paragraph break so that the images don't accidently run into the next or previous line of text. :) If you're using more than one thumbnail just list them all inbetween the p's and they'll appear in a row:

p
img src="http://www.tina-m.com/picture1.jpg"
img src="http://www.tina-m.com/picture2.jpg"
img src="http://www.tina-m.com/picture3.jpg"
p

Remember the <>.
Tina.

leesmith
09-25-2001, 08:23 AM
Thanks Rita and Cathy!

I want to get something else up soon for the charity but have 2 commissions I've got to get done first hopefully this week. It is good to know there will be some work coming in later.:)

I've been stuck on furniture commissions last 3 weeks and I'm anxious to get back to the canvas! I don't have any ebay regular listings up right now.:crying:

Thank you Tina for the info, I've copied it. I like the banner thingy; that was what I had in mind. Sometimes I wonder if people remember you from previous sales or do they forget? ( like me, LOL )

tammy
10-03-2001, 12:02 PM
They are starting something new on eBay called Checkout. Its another feature to help when you sell or buy something somewhat like a Billpoint invoice only I don't think you have to be with Billpoint to use it. I think it may help folks like me who doesn't yet use a paying service but those who do use one, like Paypal, billpoint are a little concerned about how it would work with their service. Ya'll might check out (Pun) Checkout. It is in eBay's announcements board.

PS. I've been on the Checkout message boards and from what I've seen this is a new feature which not many sellers are happy with. (Takes away personalized service for your buyers, in their opinion) and they may be right! Anyway, see what ya'll think.

CathyD
10-05-2001, 02:07 AM
Hey experienced ebayers... I guess I just had my first disappointment:crying:

Someone won the auction for the minimum bid, but I received an email from them that said that they thought it was for the AFA and tried to retract the bid tonight. Apparently she wasn't successful because the bid closed naming her with the highest bid. So what do you think I should do? She only has 2 feedbacks and is new (I guess). She was unclear as to whether she still wants to retract, I think she just didn't want to say it outright.
Darn, huh.
Anyone had this experience and how did you or would you handle it????

tammy
10-05-2001, 02:28 AM
I haven't had this experience but considering that the AFA's being advertised everywhere and going strong, I'd let her retract her bid and just relist it. She is probably telling the truth I would think in this case, besides if she does this a lot it will only hurt her in the long run. Bid retractions are not looked upon lightly by eBay I think.
I don't know what to tell you if she is unsuccessful at retracting her bid because you cannot recover your listing fees if she does not. Sorry to not know the answer and sorry about the lost sale. :(

timelady
10-05-2001, 06:00 AM
If the auction has ended she can't retract her bid. Tell her you can file a NPB (non-paying buyer) report as a mutual agreement and give her a neutral feedback. She will get a little warning from eBay but it's not a big deal - nothing happens unless you have three warnings. Then you can get eBay to refund your listing and final value fees. Remember, YOU are paying for her mistake so it's best to do it the official way. So you get your money back, you don't get negative feedback, and she doesn't get negative feedback. Sounds good all around. :)

Tina.

leesmith
10-05-2001, 11:49 PM
Excellent advice Tina to Cathy. I think you should do that Cathy. these newbies I think bid on several items and then they don't want to pay for all of them, then they retract. But like Tina said you shouldn't have to pay for their mistakes.

I was reading on the ebay boards and retracting bids is not a good thing to have in your feedback file. It got me to thinking about the bid that I retracted on Tammy's parrot painting. I retracted so the Buy It Now Price would come back and then I bid the BIN. I found out that you could do that on the boards too. So Tammy, if you'll notice I added a comment to the feedback that you left for me, which explains that I retracted in order to do the Buy It Now.

tammy
10-06-2001, 12:02 AM
So Tammy, if you'll notice I added a comment to the feedback that you left for me, which explains that I retracted in order to do the Buy It Now.

Sorry bout that Lee, I didn't even think about it. You know, also relating to retracting, eBay does allow for certain kinds of retractions without consequence and I think your retraction is one of those. I think eBay is mostly wanting to prevent where people bid and know they are going to retract bids just for the heck of it as in a game. I believe that if they know it is for a valid reason that it doesn't go against you. I think that I more or less read that somewhere on eBay rules.

CathyD
10-07-2001, 03:08 PM
Thank you for your advice everyone. It was soooo helpful. Tina you are absolutely right in saying that I should follow the 'official way'. The buyer did offer to repay the fees, but I decided that the only way to do proper business is to go through the prescribed methods for handling problems through ebay. That way my record and her record will have documentation to clear up the problem. If I would have said ok, just send me the money, I am relying on her to resolve the problem and if it doesn't happen then I am still stuck in having to file a NPB. Only it became a bigger more time consuming problem. The buyer seems really sorry to have caused all the fuss, and now that I am over the disappointment of losing a sale, it's no big deal. It has caused me to evalute how I will handle my business on ebay. You have to watch out that you don't get burned, that's for sure.

It' unfortunate that we cannot just trust people. Dealing over the internet has provided many with a way to do dishonest business. I have been trusting of people most my life and have got burned a few times. It has been in business dealings, and I have decided that it is good business practice to protect yourself without being neurotic about it. This buyer-backing-out problem is just a very small issue and not threatening at all, however you never know when something small can expand to be a real nightmare.
I am going to try really hard to take precautions when problems arise with buyers. Keeping the paperwork up to date will help avoid hassles too.

Ok, that's my thought for the day. Thanks for your help!
Cathy

CathyD
10-07-2001, 03:18 PM
Oh yes, I forgot I have another question to ask...

How long does it take billpoint and paypal to transfer the money into your bank account from the time of confirmation of payment? One confirmation was made on Sept. 28th and it is not in my account yet. Is this normal?

Not that I'm complaining, I am just trying to budget my ebay and art supply expenses and I would like to have more accurate expectations on receiving the money.
Thanks all!
Cathy

TracyN
10-07-2001, 04:39 PM
I have been selling on ebay for a number of years now and
I find that 3 day auctions offers too little exposure. Not all buyers check ebay everyday. I use 10 day auctions only when it will help my auction end on a weekend (the best time for your auctions to end). I find that 7 day works best. I found a very helpful website recently that you all may find useful. It has many proven ebay selling tips: http://www.pitchfordart.com/ebay_secrets.htm

Good luck to all!
Tracy

timelady
10-07-2001, 04:40 PM
I don't know about Billpoint, but with PayPal you have to request it be transferred - it doesn't happen automatically. Go to the Withdraw tab and you just tell them to withdraw (electronic transfer) to your bank account. Takes 3-4 business days.

Some people like to leave money in their account for future purchases (I do this sometimes if I have my eye on an auction).

Tina.

leesmith
10-07-2001, 08:50 PM
Hi Cathy,

Billpoint deposits to your account in just a couple of days.

If you want to know exactly what day, sign in and click on sales history, somewhere in there it will give you the deposit date.

What I do after someone has paid at Billpoint, and I verify the deposit date, I go ahead and print out that transaction, there are a couple of places you can print it out; you want the one after it has been deposited; it will show the amount the buyer paid, less the billpoint fee, less the billpoint fee to deposit the $ to your account. I print the one that has all the charges and go ahead and enter it into my checkbook. You need a record of all the BP fees for your book keeping.