PDA

View Full Version : Shipwreck

Mary Robinson
04-03-2004, 06:30 PM
Hi Everyone,

This is the first chance I've gotten to post to the marine forum. I had to finish up a few other pieces before I could start on this one. And I am so happy to be able to post to forum designed specifically for marine art. This is acrylic on Fredrix canvas pad, 12 x 16.

C & C always welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,

Mary

ownerofz
04-03-2004, 11:13 PM
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][COLOR=Indigo][LEFT]
This looks very surrealistic is that intentionl? Rreally love the waves. :D

shrinkinviolet
04-03-2004, 11:43 PM
I love the colors in the sky and the simplicity of the whole painting. Just one thought, do you really need the driftwood?
Hmmm, I just saw the title. So the driftwood is a piece of the shipwreck. Well, I still like the painting without it. ;)
Judy

VeldaJ
04-04-2004, 06:20 PM
Hmmmmm...I think I'm with Judy, like the painting....ditch the driftwood.

J.Dillon
04-04-2004, 09:05 PM
I like it all especially the breaking waves .

Bendaini
04-05-2004, 03:22 PM
Is that breaking waves or ice? With the "drift wood" it kinda looks like an ice flow, and the wreck is on the flow. But it could be the other way where it is sitting in a shallow bay, and the waves are breaking over it.

I really like the way the waves/ice breaks, and the flow of it all anyway.

One thing, since you have this at sunrise with the pretty pinks in the sky and water you really should bring the color into the whites of the water and clouds.

I kinda agree with the others about the "drift wood".. Either ditch it, or make it more obiouse what it is by giving it a more boat like outline so we can tell about how big the wreck is and such. It could be a dingy or a huge galley.

Marty C
04-07-2004, 11:48 PM
Hi Mary,
Nice piece with a dramatic sky. As has been mentioned, with that colour in the sky some reflected colour should be apparent in the water and also on the wet sand. Also in reference to the sky, the clouds appear pasted on due to firstly the hard edges ( clouds normally have very wispy edges) and secondly the lack of depth in the cloud - there should be more variation in value to reflect the differing density and distance found in clouds.
A couple of small tweaks will really make this a very good work.

mairrca
04-09-2004, 09:04 PM
I love the simplicity of this painting. I see the boat has worn away and only the ribs are left. I think the boat adds to the painting but needs to be a bit bigger and better defined...at first I thought it was driftwood as well. Lovely painting. :clap: