PDA

View Full Version : Old Barn in Maryfield, Sask.

Christie
09-01-2001, 11:23 AM
This is a pen and ink of an old barn at the family farm. The perspective is not off, it really is twisted like that.:)

NorahT
09-01-2001, 02:37 PM
Nice composition and pen work - I like the shadows and darks especially :)

artdude
09-01-2001, 03:17 PM
Hello Christie: Really like this one :) Nice job on the wood and stippled trees in the background. Did you render this on colored paper or is it just the scan that makes it look so dark? The way is is right now, seems like it is a very overcast dismal day. I think this would look great on white paper because of the darker areas. With white paper you could get some great highlights that would make this drawing really stand out.

Christie
09-01-2001, 03:46 PM
Actulally, it is on white paper, but the scan was dark. I will try to lighten it up and see what posts. There was a great deal of cloud that day, but also some blue sky. I am not sure how to show that because it could overwhelm this easily. I am thinking I might just leave it out. In any case, I can always see more to do on it...

Here's the lighter version.

RuthT
09-01-2001, 05:59 PM
A lovely drawing Christie - I like all the different textures in it :)

Glad the sun came out so we could see it better :D

artdude
09-01-2001, 07:27 PM
MUCH better Christie :clap: What I do sometimes with my inks is to place a sheet of tracing paper over what I am working on and make changes on the tracing paper. That way you don't mess up your original drawing. You have to be careful though and make sure that no ink bleeds through to your drawing underneath. You can also use a dark sharp pencil too and that way nothing will bleed through.

Christie
09-01-2001, 11:57 PM
Ruth, thanks. I am glad I could lighten it up as well. I suspect that it happened when I decreased the size. So musch to learn.... :)

Artdude, thanks for the suggestions. I will try the pencil idea as I seem to get ink everywhere when I start experimenting.:p One of my dogs has a black spot that did not used to be there thanks to me!