PDA

View Full Version : Share Your Endings for Cord & Fiber Jewelry

earthenwood
04-03-2004, 10:57 AM
In response to a question on the fiber jewelry thread, I thought it would be a good idea to have a collection of solutions for ending jewelry made from fibers, threads, and ribbons. Here are a few solutions I have come up with over the years. Please share yours and ask questions here!

The first picture shows various ends for cording.
Button Clasp
Adjustable Knots
Cord End Crimps, available through Rio Grande & Fire Mountain Retail, and Halstead and Foriegn Source Wholesale (among other sources, I'm sure, I just know I have seen them at those places...)

earthenwood
04-03-2004, 11:02 AM
Thin threads and ribbons can be used with Beadtips. The Clamshell variety often have larger holes than the traditional ones. For the ribbon necklaces, I often cut the ribbon end into a thin needle like wedge, and feed it through the beadtip. Then, a crimp can be slid down the ribbon and into the open clamshell and crimped into place. Once trimmed, the clamshell can be closed over the crimp and a clasp can be added.

earthenwood
04-03-2004, 11:08 AM
Last Picture: ending multi strand necklaces using the cone method. There are a variety of cone shapes available both in shiny silver, bali silver, gold filled, and base metals. Choose one that best fits your strands. Look at the "mouth" end of the cone and make sure your strands will fit into it with out being too big or small.

A piece of wire is looped onto your strands (or strands can be bead tipped or crimped if using softflex onto the wire loop) and the ends are hidden in the cone. A loop is made at the end of the cone (the skinny part) and a clasp is added.

You can also use beads with large holes to hide your strands, tapering the beads down in size near the clasp.

earthenwood
04-03-2004, 11:10 AM
Please ask questions if these pictures or directions need clarification!

Show us YOUR endings!

DonnaBee
04-03-2004, 11:18 AM
Melanie, this is so great. Thank you so much for this. I just rated this five stars. (If you think this thread is helpful, scroll back up to the beginning, and click on "Rate Thread" , it's to the right.

Emjay
04-03-2004, 11:42 AM
Thanks a million, Melanie!
I tied my ends.......

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2004/11303-cord_ends.jpg

DonnaBee
04-03-2004, 02:07 PM
Thank you, Jean!

I see the thread is listed with five stars now, that means more must have voted as well as me, because I think more than one person has to vote to get the rating to show up. Cool! :cool:

Now I will have more confidence to do jewelry with fiber in it, since I can see these different ways to finish the ends and attach clasps.

sassybird
04-03-2004, 03:13 PM
I love the adjustable knots on fiber necklaces. Sometimes I want to wear something and it is too short or too long for what I am wearing, so those knots are wonderful. The addition of beads makes it even better. The other technique I like is the button loop clasp. I made a wedding necklace for Kalibabe, and I used satin cord to show off the copper I used for the rest of the necklace. I believe it was an adjustable knot on that one too.