PDA

View Full Version : by streetlight

Smileawhyl
04-03-2004, 03:27 AM
I'm falling in love with these watercolor crayons! I fully intended this delicate flower to be the porcelan doll she was photographed to be, but somewhere along the way . . .

6" x 9" watercolor crayons on 140 lb. cold press

As ever, thanks for looking :)

TeAnne
04-03-2004, 04:24 AM
WOW she looks great. Great colours. I didn't know that you could get watercolour crayons.

madrigle
04-03-2004, 09:08 AM
Looks like you have discovered quite the medium! Very impressive results.

James

Ali the Cat
04-03-2004, 09:44 AM
nice painting, love the colours, nice effect with the watercolour crayons :)

Smileawhyl
04-03-2004, 01:38 PM
Thanks Madrigle, Ali the Cat and TeAnne!

TeAnne, the crayons I use are made by Caran D'Ache. It is a 30 stick set called Neocolor II. I've been trying to work on another piece today, very limited palette, raw umber, pink and black and am using the brush to take the color from the crayon instead of scribbling first and pulling out detail and definition with water. So far, so good, except I think it looks too much like an illustration.

pipicacassosso
04-03-2004, 04:45 PM
Wow wow wow, Smile. You truly mastered the medium. Looove that face in the closeup.

ladywolf1
04-04-2004, 09:51 AM
*ditto on the triple 'wow'.....
the eyes really captivate me on this one....
*and watercolor crayons? too cool!

Tamana
04-04-2004, 09:17 PM
She is a delicate doll. :)

I'm glad to see your love affair with this medium deepen. Wonderful play of skin tones against those full lips; the pink lends a feel of fading innocence. Her eyes tell a different story...and that 'do' is fantastic. ;)

Looking forward to your next...

TeAnne
04-04-2004, 09:53 PM
Thanks Madrigle, Ali the Cat and TeAnne!

TeAnne, the crayons I use are made by Caran D'Ache. It is a 30 stick set called Neocolor II. I've been trying to work on another piece today, very limited palette, raw umber, pink and black and am using the brush to take the color from the crayon instead of scribbling first and pulling out detail and definition with water. So far, so good, except I think it looks too much like an illustration.

I was at a swap meet yesterday and saw a pack of watercolour pastels by "Stabilo" (sp) I bought 'em for $1.50 for 6. I thought of you as I was buying them :D I really love that close up.

Smileawhyl
04-04-2004, 11:00 PM
TeAnne, now it is I who is excited to see what you whip up with those watercolor pastels! :D Please . . . post it here and make a full report!

Tam, check out my inspiration on the cover of W Magazine. I was both entranced and repelled by the image. The model looks so young, like 11 or 12. At first I had hoped to capture the innocence, but fell to future shock as the drawing progressed.

Ladywolf1, thank you. I also really like the closeup. I feel like either doing it much much larger, or cropping it and turning it into an obtuse miniature.

Pipi! Very kind words, but I feel no mastery, just fascination. Watercolors have always scared me in the past. I think this is a new way to conquer that fear. :)

muchfoolishness
04-05-2004, 12:05 AM
troubling little image
androgene young hateful
beautifully handled hair though :)

SanDL
04-05-2004, 06:24 AM
It reminds me of an ancient Roman portrait. Tried the crayons on a toned ground yet?

Smileawhyl
04-05-2004, 08:02 AM
Many thanks

Michael, I thought it was troubling, especially since that wasn't where I though I was going with it when I began.

Sandy, no, I haven't tried it on a toned ground yet. The limited palette pic I'm now working on looks more like an illustration, but I'm imagining this could be very ancient looking on a buff to caramel ground.

ordie4
04-05-2004, 08:12 AM
that close-up really
shows just how delicate
she and the medium are.

nice colors

somerset
04-06-2004, 01:50 AM
Almost missed this one, glad I did not! Funky, gritty piece. Now I wanna see another :evil:

Gonzalo Golpe
04-06-2004, 06:25 AM
Hi Patty!really like outline of the figure in the detail youve put :)

Zalo

Smileawhyl
04-08-2004, 12:27 AM
Thanks Ordie4. The colors remind me of your most recent paintings. You've been working such magic.

Somerset :) I have a few more in the works. One serious. One, very not. :evil: If I don't have to leave town next week, I will hopefully get them both finished next week. Bad one first. :D

Ola Zalo . . . no breakfast yet? :mad: :) I liked that effect, too, although I've been tempted to change the depth of the blue as these are particularly intense colors in the crayons I used. I have especially thought of you with all the sadness in Spain. Hope you are well.

futurebird
04-09-2004, 04:47 PM
I'm seriously impressed.

Smogryn
04-09-2004, 07:10 PM
holy psychedelic!
it's BEAUTIFUL!
i LOVE the effects that you've achieved with the crayons, it's sooooooo interesting... my eyes keep being drawing from this part to that!
it's got SOOOOOOOOOO much energy and life in it!
WOW

Gonzalo Golpe
04-14-2004, 12:37 PM
Thanks Patty :) yeah, it was terrible and very sad, but Im fine and actually working!so much better :D

Besos!

Zalo

Gollator
04-14-2004, 12:52 PM
The face is cool, as is the hair.

I have my problems with the composition, although I don't know why exactly. I think it is very heavy in the upper part (due to hair/face) but has no resonance in the lower areas. Something that catches the eyes, probably a hand in the lower right or something like this. However, this does not apply to the crop, which is is able to rest in itself.

Does this make any sense at all? :-)
Daniel

jolie
04-14-2004, 01:24 PM
Another wonderful piece! I love the hints of texture and pattern in the background and am really impressed with the colour harmony. I didn't notice the beautiful job on the skin tones until I looked at the close-up, so I am so glad I didn't skip looking at it!

Jolie

Smileawhyl
04-14-2004, 08:01 PM
futurebird :) Thanks. It was an experiment gone right.

Smogryn, good to see you in here! Many thanks, as well:)

Gollator, You have it right. I didn't go in the direction I started, but I enjoyed the trip! It was my first, but not my last. I'm learning much along the way.

Jolie, many thanks, too! The crop is my favorite part. I am thinking about cropping it in real time and making it a miniature if I can find suitable framing.