PDA

View Full Version : What's on your Contemporary Easel this April?

Mario
04-02-2004, 09:31 PM
I love seeing newly started paintings....wondering where they are headed and if perhaps they could stop and rest, for awhile, where they are at present....What's on your easel, today? :cool:

Female torso...oil on Canvas paper 12x16"

Male head...warm on cool ground 12x18"

jnet11
04-03-2004, 12:19 AM
nice piece, mario ... good to see ya round here, too

here's my mary Magdalen wip

Mario
04-03-2004, 07:53 PM
Hi Jnet...strong figures..I'm intrigued by your tinyhead and the Mary :p :angel: :evil: magdelane role she is playing... who is she?

madrigle
04-03-2004, 09:22 PM
nice piece, mario ... good to see ya round here, too

here's my mary Magdalen wip

your Magdalen is VERY intriguing. PLEASE post more pictures. :)

James

jnet11
04-03-2004, 11:28 PM
well magdalene is ready to show ... there are still some minute details to fix, but I was going to post her complete tomorrow when I can get a photo.

why magdalene?
I read "the da Vinci code" and realized what an obsession I'd always had with ancient 'rewrites' of christian history ... Pears and Eco novels especially, the mythologoy of the knights templar, the rosicrucians, the holy grail ... i've been reading about these things obsessively for years, and never opened my eyes to how strongly I felt about it. davinci code focuses on magdalene, and the idea that she is not what the catholics say about her but rather a jewish noble who married christ, bore his children and was the true choice of christ to carry his message after his death. She and saint Sophia brought Christianity to most of Europe, by his sources. Sophia has long been a symbol of mine, and to imagine she and Magdalen travelling together to spread the 'word' and then being prostituted by the church to in fact be a symbol of 'evil women' (sophia's sainthood was revoked later) was all too intriguing a story for me not to tell. I gave myself her red hair and brown eyes, but just used me because I needed a model, and for Christ, everyone is always saying my boyfriend looks like christ, so that was an easy choice. but I do laugh at myself for puttin us in such provacative positions.

Tamana
04-04-2004, 09:03 PM
Looking good, Mario. Glad to see you around these neck of the woods as well. Keep us updated.

Miss J'nice; Of all the women portrayed in the history of religion, Magdalene remains my favorite. And in regards to the painting, I'll see you in another thread... ;)