PDA

View Full Version : dimple in paper

Artistammy
04-02-2004, 05:22 PM
Is there any way to fix a dimple in MiTiente paper? I have this large piece I'd like to use but don't want the dimple to show up. It's not a deep one but not sure what will happen. Would you use it? Thanks.

Chelle
04-02-2004, 06:13 PM
I wonder if you could stretch it the same way water colourist stretch their paper. Get a board big enough to lay your whole sheet on flat. Dip the sheet in a tub of water to completely wet it, shake of the excess then tape the sheet down, on all four sides, to the board. Use one of those brown paper looking tapes that you have to wet the glue side to make it stick. As the paper dries it will want to shrink, but the tape will hold it tight and the dimple should straighten out.
I think the paper should then still be OK to use because someone told me that she'd done this before applying an underpainting for a pastel drawing.

Khadres
04-02-2004, 06:23 PM
You could also just try applying a wet sponge to the area around the dimple (and to the dimple itself, of course), the just normally tape the sheet down to the drawing board and dry with a hair dryer.

If that doesn't work, then you could try the full immersion thing.

CarlyHardy
04-02-2004, 07:43 PM
Can you crop the sheet and avoid the dimple?

I'm not sure that I'd wet Canson enough to stretch it....with the least bit of moisture it puckers and buckles a lot. (I tried painting outside one day when the humidity was really high and it was a test between me and the paper to see who could move faster! The paper won :))

I would try dampening the area with a sponge and blow it dry. If it doesn't remove the dimple...you can still use the rest of the paper!
carly

Kitty Wallis
04-03-2004, 03:05 AM
We get a lot of those in our paper and we cull them from the paper we send out. They become seconds. The guys in the factory that coats our paper sometimes don't get clued in and handle it poorly.

I tell people to handle large heavy sheets of our paper like they were a hammock, allowing the paper to hang between the hands in a relaxed way rather than crinking it to make it stay stiff in midair- a sure way to get dimples.

jackiesimmonds
04-03-2004, 04:58 AM
I would not dunk Canson in the bath either. Watercolour paper has size on it, which makes it stronger for bath dunking.

Instead, lay it flat on a wooden board, and DAMPEN one side with a just-damp sponge. This will wet the paper enough, and then tape it down with brown parcel tape, the sort you have to wet, and allow it to dry naturally.
It should dry quite flat.

Jackie

Artistammy
04-03-2004, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I hadn't thought of dampening it. I might could crop it into some smaller pieces but there are 2 dimples in rather different places. I think I may try the slightly dampening, taping & drying in the future. When you want to use a large piece of paper it becomes more of a problem. This time I decided to go buy a new piece for this painting. MiTiente isn't very expensive but I did want to know if there were any solutions for the problem.