PDA

View Full Version : Urban Jewelry

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-02-2004, 12:35 PM
Just when you thought it was safe to leave your jewelry making tools out in the garage...

Think again! You never know what may happen in the dead of the night.

http://www.suigeneris.net/

~D.

DonnaBee
04-02-2004, 12:39 PM
This one is my favorite:

(Danielle thank you for this link, I hadn't seen this! I love this kind of stuff!)

I am really signing off now, and walking out the door now, TTFN!

Wire Mania
04-02-2004, 12:57 PM
Very Funny Danielle - I like the same one that Donna liked...

Thanks for making me smile....After a night like last night I needed to

smile :) :)

jacki
04-02-2004, 01:34 PM
What a perfect gift for so many people that would never consider normal jewelry!

Thanks for the link! great fun!

ringslingin
04-02-2004, 02:45 PM
I REALLY liked this one!!! http://www.suigeneris.net/images/bracelets/Dscn4000%2075566.jpg

Sorry, I can't upload, I'm at the library...

Denise

busy91
04-02-2004, 03:01 PM
I'm partial to the picture frames. Thanks for the link.

DonnaBee
04-02-2004, 06:31 PM
I also admire this one. I personally wouldn't wear or design something this edgy, but I do admire it, and something about it just makes me laugh! (in a good way).

Fyrsmith
04-03-2004, 04:04 AM
Hi everyone,

Great link Danielle, here is my take on "urban jewelry".

I work in electronics (marine electronics tech) so I have access to all the surplused equipment and have been keeping parts of them for years. I find the patterns facinating, almost like heiroglyphics, they are the language of electronics.

One of the things I like to do is make jewelry out of pc boards. This is a pair of earrings I made for my wife a few years ago, phtographed on a sandblasted pcb. She's not really the tech type, so she doesn't wear them, but they were fun to make. On the other hand, my oldest daughter's boyfriend is a computer geek, so she had me make a pin and a tie tack that were similar to this. He keeps them near his computer.

Because pcb's are fiberglass they are difficult to cut. I cut and finish corners on a Taurus Ringsaw, normally used to cut stained glass.

-Don-

pic is of front and back of matching pair

DonnaBee
04-03-2004, 01:07 PM
Don, I love this. Have you ever done a brooch or lapel pin like this? I love how you make the analogy between heiroglyphics and the language of electronics!

Here is an artist I like. I have one of his rings:

http://www.taskale.com/

He machines sort of heiroglyphic-type designs into titanium.

DonnaBee
04-03-2004, 01:10 PM
He does bigger things than wearable art as well:

Taskale sculpture:

Barrie
04-03-2004, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the great links! Donna, those rings are very cool! I like his simple style. Don - cute earrings!! Perfect for the techy types out there! I think a brooch or pin would be wonderful in that style! I really like the urban look, but making htem myself somehow eludes me. I have always wanted to do a found object piece, but once I find all the objects, I think they look stupid together! Guess I'll have to leave that to others to explore!

DonnaBee
04-03-2004, 01:44 PM
I think your Sticks And Stones pieces have a bit of an urban feel to them Barrie. The earrings you sent in for the glass poster do, too. You have that "edge" going on...

Okay, here is a bracelet I made a few days ago. I had to not look at it for several days, because I didn't know if I liked it. I like it! Is this "Urban", do you think? (Lampwork mine.)

sassybird
04-03-2004, 03:19 PM
Danielle, that is a great link:D I love crazy fun stuff like this. I'm really into working with found objects in my work. Now my husband will have to keep his shop locked......lol There are all kinds of goodies out there:D

debkauz
04-05-2004, 04:44 PM
Great link! I don't think that I am nearly trendy enough to wear any of it--or young enough either, but I loved it! It gave me some ideas to try for sure. Thanks! :D

Deb

DonnaBee
04-05-2004, 05:28 PM
I don't think that I am nearly trendy enough to wear any of it--or young enough either, but I loved it!

That's exactly how I feel about it Deb. The stuff inspires me, but when it comes to picking out something for myself to wear, well, I need to pick things that are more flattering, now that I am getting older. I know I don't have to, but I am feeling my tastes begin to change... I am starting to get this desire to make something pretty. That could also be due to the changing weather, and spring finally beginning to arrive here!

(And BTW, Hi Deb! It is good to see you here on the Wearable Art forum!)