PDA

View Full Version : Fiber Arts Project

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-01-2004, 02:26 PM
Hi all!

I've been enjoying Li's silks so much, I decided to start a personal challenge to work some fibers/dyed silks into my normal work. I've been wanting to incorporate fiber art into a bangle, but I started with a bracelet, and here's the finished project.

I challenge the rest of you to take your normal medium, and work fiber into it somehow to make it your own!

/throws down her white dueling glove! On Guard!

;) Anyhoo, here's the bracelet. It's called SeaWeed!

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-01-2004, 02:28 PM
Duh. I forgot to mention that the fibers are silk, hand dyed and are made by a non-profit organization of women that give all proceeds back to Breast Cancer Research. All the women that work in this group are survivors of breast cancer.

The silver is all HillTribe.

:)

~D.

glitterbead
04-01-2004, 02:30 PM
YUMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!! Veeeeeeeery nice!!!

I will show off my latest chiffon scarf tonight!

Charlee
04-01-2004, 02:30 PM
Well that's just cool as all get out! :clap: :clap: Somewhere - maybe in one of the bead mags - there's a PMC ad with a bracelet with fibers. I like the look. Is it a secret, or will you share this fiber source? Inquiring minds...

Wire Mania
04-01-2004, 02:33 PM
Nice Danielle.....Looks good

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-01-2004, 02:41 PM
Bah, I bought the fibers at a bead show, and you think I can find the source? Hell no.../grumble.. All I do know is I paid $6/strand, and a strand was about a yard.

I'm searching the net high and low trying to find them, though, that's for sure. The prob is that the non-profit grp that makes the silk, they don't tell ppl who they are, as they don't want ppl like me calling and trying to order from them directly..they sell to a wholesaler/retailer who then sells for them.

/sigh

~D.

beclectic
04-01-2004, 02:45 PM
Well I accept your challange. I happen to be working on a piece that incorporates some silver fabric cording. It is a beaded project so it is going to take a while.

I love your bracelet.

You are just cranking out these great ideas. You must be in a creative hot spot. :clap:

Patch
04-01-2004, 02:57 PM
Well then, I am usually more into fibers, threads and fabrics, so this time, I did a bracelet with my firsts lampwork beads. I am no jewelry designer so it's pretty simple and I started making beads only 3 weeks ago.
Be kind
Patch

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-01-2004, 02:59 PM
Hehe, I do profess that I'm constantly engineering ideas for things to create. it doesn't take much to inspire me...but I do have slumps here and there. ;)

I wanna see more ppl in this challenge!

Where's Donna today?? Yoooo-hoooooo Donna!!! Get yer butt in here and make some fiber jewelry!

;)

~Danielle

beclectic
04-01-2004, 03:19 PM
Well then, I am usually more into fibers, threads and fabrics, so this time, I did a bracelet with my firsts lampwork beads. I am no jewelry designer so it's pretty simple and I started making beads only 3 weeks ago.
Be kind
Patch

I like your beads especially the strippy ones. Is that toggle green or is that just a reflection from the box? I'm not trying to be offensive but if it's green then I think it is pretty neat. I have seen some colored niobium findings and I've been thinking about trying some just to see what they are like.

Patch
04-01-2004, 03:58 PM
I like your beads especially the strippy ones. Is that toggle green or is that just a reflection from the box? I'm not trying to be offensive but if it's green then I think it is pretty neat. I have seen some colored niobium findings and I've been thinking about trying some just to see what they are like.

Thank you Barbara,

The toggle isn't really green, it's antiqued finish, somewhere between bronze and silver. I have only a few findings here so I used what I have in hands. My plan was to make beads to adorn my purses... and couldn't resist in wearing a few of course.
Patch

beclectic
04-01-2004, 04:03 PM
Thank you Barbara,

The toggle isn't really green, it's antiqued finish, somewhere between bronze and silver. I have only a few findings here so I used what I have in hands. My plan was to make beads to adorn my purses... and couldn't resist in wearing a few of course.
Patch

Beads, you only create them, then they have a life of their own. Some you can force into the role you want for them, others are willful and seek their own fate. :D

DonnaBee
04-01-2004, 04:51 PM
I accept the challenge!

WOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Danielle, that bracelet is perfect! It's exactly my sort of style.

I accept the challenge! I accept! With relish!

Okay, you know it might take me some time right? Please don't give me a deadline, or it will kill all my creative energy, and I want to do this one right.

Yay! You have the best ideas Danielle...

DonnaBee
04-01-2004, 04:55 PM
You all have to help me though? What is the definition of fiber? This is a new realm for me, but one I have wanted to explore.

I don't have any resources for exotic stuff (yet) I am new to it and willing to learn.

Is waxed linen "fiber"? I have some of that... but if it isn't, for the purposes of this project, I won't be mad, I am willing to learn and grow, in the "right" and quality direction. Does that make sense? :confused: :p

glitterbead
04-01-2004, 05:06 PM
You all have to help me though? What is the definition of fiber? This is a new realm for me, but one I have wanted to explore.

I don't have any resources for exotic stuff (yet) I am new to it and willing to learn.

Is waxed linen "fiber"? I have some of that... but if it isn't, for the purposes of this project, I won't be mad, I am willing to learn and grow, in the "right" and quality direction. Does that make sense? :confused: :p

Perfect sense, Donna!!! I do consider waxed linen to be fiber.

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-01-2004, 05:09 PM
Okey dokey...this is an an unofficial project for us then, and no, no deadline! Work as you see fit, make one, make a few, see where it leads you!

Fiber is all inclusive really of any sort of threads, fabrics, etc. Waxed linen is fiber to me, so use what you have, branch out and buy something new, have a good time!

/hugs Donna!

~D.

earthenwood
04-01-2004, 05:13 PM
LOL! I just finished this last night and was coming to show it off, and then ask where you get cool fiber cord like things! I have been wanting to get more fiber-y lately in my designs too. Actually, I did this one using my buddy Marsha Neal's ceramic pendants. I wanted something to contrast with the angular quality of them, to soften them and make it look a bit more primitive:

DonnaBee
04-01-2004, 05:14 PM
Oh thank you! I don't want to do anything cheesy, you know? lol

I don't know what I am going to do!

My mom is a quilt maker, should I go raid her huge stash of fabrics looking for little remnants? What if I found an intersting pattern of fabric, and stiffened it and incorporated in into jewelry?

What if I print digital art on fabric with my inkjet printer? Is that fiber art?

DonnaBee
04-01-2004, 05:16 PM
That is very cool Melanie...

I am going to love this project..

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-01-2004, 05:19 PM
Melanie, that's VERY nice! I love the ceramics, but I totally agree, I think the fiber softens them nicely and gives them a very raw feel.

Donna, I consider all your ideas to be fiber. Stop asking questions missy! Get busy!

/wink

~Danielle

glitterbead
04-01-2004, 05:20 PM
LOL! I just finished this last night and was coming to show it off, and then ask where you get cool fiber cord like things! I have been wanting to get more fiber-y lately in my designs too. Actually, I did this one using my buddy Marsha Neal's ceramic pendants. I wanted something to contrast with the angular quality of them, to soften them and make it look a bit more primitive:

O*M*G.....Melanie, that is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-01-2004, 05:20 PM
Now THIS is what I really wanna make.../sniffle

~D.

glitterbead
04-01-2004, 05:52 PM

~D.

[email protected] - looks like eyelash yarn and Berroco Optik yarn!!! Too kewl.....

http://www.berroco.com/shade_cards/optik_sh.html

DonnaBee
04-01-2004, 06:17 PM
:D

lisilk
04-01-2004, 06:32 PM
Ut-Oh ! Does this mean I have to learn how to make jewelry ? ( Groan... ) i already have too many mediums. LOL.

Danielle- your charm bracelet is CHARMING !

Patch- lovely beads.

Melanie- love that, very organic.

Cheers,

Li

glitterbead
04-01-2004, 06:39 PM
Ut-Oh ! Does this mean I have to learn how to make jewelry ? ( Groan... ) i already have too many mediums. LOL.

Danielle- your charm bracelet is CHARMING !

Patch- lovely beads.

Melanie- love that, very organic.

Cheers,

Li

Li - one can NEVER have too many mediums!!!!!!!!

beclectic
04-01-2004, 06:40 PM
Sources of Fiber: Consignment shops. Not the fancy ones, the jumbled ones. You can find some neat old cloths maybe with a hole or two but the fabric is interesting and you don't want it for cloths. I've found some really pretty colored silk shirts that I use for backgrounds in photos that way. The shirts are torn but I don't care, I don't wear them and I just work around the tear. All kinds of stuff, often cheap. Also try yarn shops. They usually mark down the fancy yarns that only have a ball or 2 left.

~D.

So stop sniffling and go make some. :D The tubes look like they could be ceramic but you could make them out of papier-mache or art paper glued and stiffened with varnish or polymer clay. They look like a lot of fun.

lisilk
04-01-2004, 06:49 PM
Li - one can NEVER have too many mediums!!!!!!!!

ROFL ! You should see my studio ! LOL. Silk, pastels, collage, sculpture, altered CD's and cigar boxes, oil painting, watercolors, and acrylics....almost forgot the linoleum prints. LOL. Let's just say I can't afford another medium. LOL. You all are a bad influence. :evil:

Cheers,

Li

Emjay
04-01-2004, 09:06 PM
I've had an idea for something for a while now. This will push me to try it. Give me the weekend..................................
Jean

Emjay
04-01-2004, 09:09 PM
However, since we have established that waxed cording is fiber, then this was my first fiber project.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2004/11303-cord_necklace_3.jpg

GardensOnGlass
04-01-2004, 10:44 PM
Beautiful work ladies! :clap: Now I'll have to get out my Fiber-Wire Beads & Jewelry book that I bought last fall when my daughter broke her wrist & world came to a stand-still & try a thing or two!

Danielle, thanks for all of your work to get this wearable art forum going! :clap: :clap: I love it!

Melanie, just saw your face beads on Nancy Kugel's necklaces in the brand new Bead Style magazine! Too cool!

DonnaBee
04-01-2004, 11:25 PM
Melanie, just saw your face beads on Nancy Kugel's necklaces in the brand new Bead Style magazine! Too cool!

I saw Melanie's ad too! :clap: (It looks fantastic!)

Are you talking about Bead Style's "Bead Show 2004" issue Lori? That's the one I just saw it in.

earthenwood
04-02-2004, 08:38 AM
Hi All!
Jean, I love that necklace...very organic...I love the chunks of stone or amber beads. I'm gonna do something in waxed linen today, I think...

Thanks for mentioning my ads and recent press! Yep, I have the big ad (big for me!) in Bead Show, but there is also the project using some of my beads in the new Bead Style. I am really excited about it...I saw it yesterday for the first time! I knew it was coming, but it's always cool to see it for the first time! I haven't advertized in Bead Style ever, but I am in every Bead & Button.

GardensOnGlass
04-02-2004, 09:08 AM
Donna, it's in the brand new Bead Style (I think it's the April/May or May/June?) I'm at my husband's office & the magazine's at home. They hadn't even put it out at the bead store yesterday. I was looking for the new Step By Step Beads (Duda had mentioned on her site, I think that there was a great Alethia Donathan article) & ended up with 3 new beading magazines. The new Beadwork is out too!

Someone tell me that this addiction is better than smoking & drinking. My husband's not so sure!

beclectic
04-02-2004, 09:12 AM
<snip>

Someone tell me that this addiction is better than smoking & drinking. My husband's not so sure!

It is better. As long as you have good lighting (Beading & Jewelry Making) and good ventilation (Lampwork & Metal Working) it doesn't harm your health. :)

DonnaBee
04-02-2004, 10:03 AM

hehe!

Thanks for the answers regarding the assorted magazines! I want them all!

DonnaBee
04-02-2004, 10:08 AM
RE: What I said about a deadline.

Nothing wrong with deadlines of course on exchanges and projects. Lord knows I have imposed a few... I just meant that right now, for this one, I wouldn't be able to add it to my list of things I want to work on right now, if there were a deadline, because I am feeling pressure I put on myself with a couple other things at the moment. I wouldn't be able to add another project with a deadline 'til I wrapped those up.

I just wrote all this, because I thought, gosh, what if I looked like a big jerk whining about please no deadline on this fantastic project Danielle has begun for us? Thank you so much!

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-02-2004, 10:25 AM
Aww, Quit yer worryin' woman! Get back to yer' workbench and get busy!

/wink

LOL!

I didn't want this to be an official project yet. I'd rather get ya'll thinkin' about it and then if there's sufficient interest, we'll do an "official project" later on down the road.

For now, this is just something to get you all thinking in a new direction. Not that we need more ideas around here it seems. LOL.

;)

~Danielle

earthenwood
04-02-2004, 10:35 AM
OK heres another fiberous jewelry piece I did using a ceramic centerpiece by my friend Karen Fincannon, some of my own porcelain beads, and two ceramic beads by Jangles. Also there are a couple lampwoirk beads by Melting Pot Glass and a Green Girl pewter pendant. And assorted Hill Tribe and other beads.

Sorry for the bad scan, I really need to learn how to use my camera...

DonnaBee
04-02-2004, 10:37 AM
Morning Danielle!

Quit worrying? How do you do that? I am a worry-wart! (Even though I know it doesn't do one single bit of good!) :D

"Worry is interest paid on a debt you might not owe!"

(Am I being like Dr. Phil now? I can't stand him... :p )

Well, good morning everyone... I am off to a day of appointments with the entire family. Somebody kill me!

Hopefully I will be able to get to my bead table and do something creative later on! See you all later!

TGIF!

DonnaBee
04-02-2004, 10:40 AM
Melanie, that is one of my favorite necklaces I have ever seen. Very, very well done...

(I am partial to water themes, mermaids.... being a Pisces..)

I like the way you knotted that, the scale... I think you just gave me an idea for a problem I have been having with a bracelet I am trying to put together......

Emjay
04-02-2004, 10:48 AM
OOOHHH, everyone's work is SO Great! Thanks for starting this thread. Been wanting to work fiber in to my wire forever, and this will motivate me. Thanks, also for the compliments.
Melanie, I always love you work! Can you tell me how you "ended" the corded necklace? I ended up just stringing some seed beads on the end of each cord, knotting each one and I tie the necklace on. Kinda nice 'cause you can adjust size, and it does come untied easily when I'm ready, but I'm not sure customers will like that. Needs to look more finished.
Anyone??

Emjay
04-02-2004, 10:52 AM
Oh, and by the way, Melanie, I haven't forgotten the cabachons you sent me! Have an idea for them, now, can someone please lend me some time???

chuckie
04-02-2004, 11:01 AM
I don't know what I am going to do!

My mom is a quilt maker, should I go raid her huge stash of fabrics looking for little remnants? What if I found an intersting pattern of fabric, and stiffened it and incorporated in into jewelry?

You could find some nice, fat white cotton cording, make a tube out of some of the quilt material, then slip the cord into the tube. That way you don't have scratchy, stiff fabric against your neck. Then you could sew and weave beads onto the tube.

Char

earthenwood
04-02-2004, 11:12 AM
Jean,
I'm still sort of experimenting with a solution I like for the end. These were knotted with a Ceramic button on one end and a button loop knotted for the other end. I wanted to leave some cord free to tie a few small beads on for a fringey end, but I didn't leave myself enough.

If all else failed, I was going to crimp on two of those sterling caps with the loop on them and add a bali clasp. I get those from either Halstead or Rio Grande. I find that to be a good solution. Do you know the cord end findings I'm talking about?

glitterbead
04-02-2004, 11:41 AM
Sources of Fiber: Consignment shops. Not the fancy ones, the jumbled ones. You can find some neat old cloths maybe with a hole or two but the fabric is interesting and you don't want it for cloths. I've found some really pretty colored silk shirts that I use for backgrounds in photos that way. The shirts are torn but I don't care, I don't wear them and I just work around the tear. All kinds of stuff, often cheap. Also try yarn shops. They usually mark down the fancy yarns that only have a ball or 2 left.

So stop sniffling and go make some. :D The tubes look like they could be ceramic but you could make them out of papier-mache or art paper glued and stiffened with varnish or polymer clay. They look like a lot of fun.

My LYS NEVER marks down yarn - well, yeah, maybe once a year they have a 25% off sale! But if you are looking for just one ball of fancy yarn at very inexpensive prices - Check these out (I believe I listed both in the resources sticky thread):

http://www.knitpicks.com/

https://secure.elann.com/products.asp

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-02-2004, 12:19 PM
I'm not looking for yarn as much as I am "fibers", so I came across this link and thought I'd share it as well:

http://www.flightsoffancyboutique.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi

They have individual cards with a few yards of three diff't types of fibers/trims. Beautiful things, indeed.

~D.

beclectic
04-02-2004, 01:26 PM
I'm not looking for yarn as much as I am "fibers", so I came across this link and thought I'd share it as well:

http://www.flightsoffancyboutique.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi

They have individual cards with a few yards of three diff't types of fibers/trims. Beautiful things, indeed.

~D.

I saw these or something very similar at Michael's Art & Craft Store the other day. If you have one in your area you could possibly find fibers there. Sometimes I want things NOW and don't want to wait for it to be shipped. Actually, it is most of the time I want things NOW. :D I am working on practicing patience though. :angel:

Emjay
04-02-2004, 06:14 PM
Melanie,
I think I know the ends you are talking about. I tried one, but the one I had was too big, and looked terrible when I crimped it. I was going to slip on the jump ring then tie a knot, but I didn't have enough cord left. I'll plan better next time!

DonnaBee
04-02-2004, 06:26 PM
You could find some nice, fat white cotton cording, make a tube out of some of the quilt material, then slip the cord into the tube. That way you don't have scratchy, stiff fabric against your neck. Then you could sew and weave beads onto the tube.

Thank you Char!!!

NewCreation
04-03-2004, 07:44 AM

~D.

I was working on same paper beads 2 nights ago much like those. I am going to post the necklace I made in a separate thread 'cause I like to get my oohs and ahhhs! LOL

earthenwood
04-03-2004, 11:13 AM
Hey All,
I started a new thread to talk about ending fiber and cord necklaces here:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2189776#post2189776

Check it out and add to it!
Thanks for the inspiration!

Amaris
04-04-2004, 05:44 AM
I've been enjoying Li's silks so much, I decided to start a personal challenge to work some fibers/dyed silks into my normal work. I've been wanting to incorporate fiber art into a bangle, but I started with a bracelet, and here's the finished project.
That's a very interesting bracelet! I love the mix of textures and colors. I'm having a really hard time picturing it on. Can you post of a picture of of a hand/wrist with the bracelet on in a couple of poses? I'd love to see how it drapes.

Bravo on your creativity and challenging yourself. Thanks for reminding me that I need to push myself a little more!

Emjay
04-04-2004, 01:41 PM
Ok, my first attempt at a "wiber". Nothing spectacular. Was distracted by grandbaby being here.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2004/11303-first_wiber_bracelet_04-04-04-1.jpg

Emjay
04-04-2004, 04:01 PM
And another...................

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2004/11303-second_wiber_bracelet_04-04-04-1.jpg

beclectic
04-13-2004, 02:12 PM
I just found some stores on ebay for fiber. Some of you may already know about these but they all look sooooo interesting. What you want to look for is 'roving'. This is the stuff spinners use to make thread and yarn.

Wool, Silk, Flax maybe others
http://stores.ebay.com/Kiwicrafter-NZ-Store
http://stores.ebay.com/Copper-Moose-Fibers-and-Spinning
http://stores.ebay.com/Cotton-Confections-KnitTogether
http://stores.ebay.com/Plum-Crazy-Llama-Ranch-Fiber-Arts
http://stores.ebay.com/Furryarns
http://stores.ebay.com/Bees-Knees-Knitting
http://stores.ebay.com/Crafts4Me-com
http://stores.ebay.com/White-Pine-Mercantile (has cotton)

These are not necessarly the best or cheapest just the first ones I found. Oh, bother, this is making me want to pull out my drop spindle and start spinning.

The pictures are silk rovings, look at these yummy colors!

gypsysoul
05-06-2004, 04:22 PM
I missed this thread first time around, so I thought I'd add a link to a cool website I just found and bump this back up into daylight. This woman makes some very fun jewelry!

Bethany Barry (http://www.beadclass.com/index.html)

Shirley C.
05-06-2004, 04:27 PM
I missed this thread first time around, so I thought I'd add a link to a cool website I just found and bump this back up into daylight. This woman makes some very fun jewelry!

Bethany Barry (http://www.beadclass.com/index.html)
well how cool is this?! i just got this book in the mail from amazon yesterday. haven't had a chance to dive into it in detail, but from what i've seen so far it looks terrific!

gypsysoul
05-06-2004, 05:12 PM
well how cool is this?! i just got this book in the mail from amazon yesterday. haven't had a chance to dive into it in detail, but from what i've seen so far it looks terrific!

Very cool! I have got to get over to the store where they are holding my copy. :D

I am such a goofball. I was looking all over the place online yesterday and today for ideas about starting to work with fibers in jewerly, and I have a great resource sitting here on my desk that I forgot I had! (Yes, I am the kind of person who will buy the same book or magazine twice because I forgot I already had it. lol) Anyway, the book is Rubber Stamped Jewelry by Sharilyn Miller, and she has some info on the basics of working with fibers, as well as a few projects that incorporate fibers. There are also tons of other fun ideas for making jewelry with all kinds of stuff you might not think of, and you certainly don't have to use rubber stamps if you don't have any or don't want to make that investment. I wish I could post pictures from the book! Here's a link to the book at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1581803842/qid=1083877741/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1__i1_xgl14/102-6006942-6896140?v=glance&s=books