PDA

View Full Version : Organizing Inventory

SuzyQ
04-01-2004, 11:10 AM
I started my business as a Photographer. My item number system works really well for photographs, prints, note cards etc. But, not for jewelry. Currently I have an item number that tells me if it is a necklace, bracelet etc. and how much I priced it for. While for book keeping it works fine, it doesn't help when I'm wondering what color I need to create in or how many I have of any given color. There has got to be a better way than laying them all out.
What do you use?

glitterbead
04-01-2004, 12:43 PM
What is this thing you call "organizing" ???

Barrie
04-01-2004, 12:54 PM
You know, in my studio, the 'O' word can get your mouth washed out with soap!! Seriously though, this is a good question. I have no organizational skills, and have to rely on looking at my inventory to decide what needs to be added to. Fortunately, it's easy to see 72 rings at a time, and tell that there are WAY too many blue ones (been there, done that!). Could you possibly add a letter at the end of your current system, 'B' for blues, 'P' for purples, etc. Break them down into color groupings? If you have 12 'B's and 2'P's, and 3'R's, and no 'R's maybe you need 'R's and if it's at the end of the system, it's a quick glance down a column? Eventually you can set yourself minimum levels of the different letters.
I'll be interested to see what systems other people use.

jacy
04-01-2004, 12:55 PM
I'm a bit (hee!) anal-retentive when it comes to organizing so I started an Access database pretty early on. Once the hobby veered toward being an income producer I ended up spending so much time wrestling with Access, that I just bit the bullet and bought a front end for it that's designed just for jewelry makers. It killed me to buy what I knew I could eventually do on my own, but it was money well spent for time well saved.

I'm sure this must not be news to most people here, but the program is called Jewelery Designer Manager. I bought the Pro version. It tracks purchases, vendors, parts, assembled pieces, customers, etc.

It works pretty well. I wish I could customize it to suit my AR needs but I'm getting over it. The customer service and tech support has been terrific, so that helps quite a bit.

Jewelry Designer Manager (http://bejeweledsoftware.com)

Disclaimer: Nothing to gain, just a satisfied user.

HTH

Barrie
04-01-2004, 03:00 PM
I was actually a beta tester for the Jewelry Designer Manager! Unfortunately, I'm not the anal type, and just couldn't wrap my brain around it for my style of jewelry. Most of my pieces are fabricated, cut my own stones, etc. So it was really hard to apply it to this aspect of my business. I would think that it would be invaluable for those who purchase components, beads, findings etc, and have to remember how much everything cost, etc.