PDA

View Full Version : speedfish

it'sALLart
04-01-2004, 09:12 AM
here's a 30 x 40 acrylic that i've taken way too long to finish and am happy (so happy) to say i'm all but done. since it took so long, i fell completely out of love with it and then as i started to get closer to what i wanted, then i started liking it more. now i'm totally not sure what to think. comments? (sorry, the link is the only place to see it, it's too big for WC and in smaller views it looks kinda lame) Acrylic modeling paste textured in areas....

http://www.itsallart.com/speedfishLG.jpg

some details below:

Tangled
04-01-2004, 09:26 AM
Wow that is awesome!!!! Your handling of light and movemnet is so exciting--I'd love to see this one in real life. Good job!

Brian Firth
04-01-2004, 10:26 AM
This is awesome! Did you use an airbrush for the glowing intersection of the lines? I love the contast of textures!

heh
04-01-2004, 10:29 AM
fish as fast as light
fast as the sun on the water
fast as each ripple
i love it it makes me smile
that perfect brightness captured
illuminated corners of the sea
especially love that grumpy one
with the teeth at the bottom
its a good capture of the deep dark world
and the bright things that make their way through it

it'sALLart
04-01-2004, 10:52 AM
This is awesome! Did you use an airbrush for the glowing intersection of the lines? I love the contast of textures!

Ya know, I actually considered trying to find an airbrush to borrow to get all this looking right, but then gave up on that idea. I ended up using (get this) my finger. Yup, that's right, my finger. Just took wet white paint and rubbed it in circles and then later added some painted (very light) concentric circles around some of the glows to help em out. Then a color wash was added for each different color. Spent about 4 hours alone on the lines and will probably go back and work on them some more... they were looking really sloppy and I finally figured out I can't paint details without my reading glasses. I never had to use THOSE before... gawd. Getting old is not nearly as much fun as I thought it would be. heh heh. The textured areas have gloss on them to help the 'water' lines look fast and motion-full.

thanks for the comments everyone, it makes me feel better about this one. I'm sure we've all gone thru that phase where we've worked on something so long we simply have no objectivity any longer. That was me.

VieSaintSo
04-01-2004, 10:57 AM
Magic and electric! very well done.
and....welll...can't help my self....but good timing on the fishes for april first! :p

judithj
04-01-2004, 02:46 PM
Love the colours and the sense of light.

-jj

Smileawhyl
04-01-2004, 04:23 PM
Magic and electric! very well done.
and....welll...can't help my self....but good timing on the fishes for april first! :p
Poisson d'Avril! Quelle magnifique!

Keith, this new piece is stunning! Are your lines 3-D as well?

muchfoolishness
04-01-2004, 06:28 PM
very amazing treatment of light and dark
of now and the moments nearby
such bewildered fishes
beautiful technique

it'sALLart
04-01-2004, 06:55 PM
wow, thanks everyone! i feel honored!

smyl, no the lines are just flat but the texture is raised above the surface of the canvas...the whole thing is darker and more subtle realtime. and got yur note...thanks so much. :)

Viesaintso, i hate to be so thick, but are you referring to the 7 loaves and fishes of Christ or ? is there some other april 1st thing that involves fish that i'm just too much of a bumpkin to realize?

arourapope
04-01-2004, 07:11 PM
I just read this today:
We call them April Fools, except in France, where they're called April Fish (Poisson d'Avril). The French called them this because the traditional joke was to tape a paper fish to the back of a friend. I guess it's the French equivalent of a "Kick me" sign.

The whole article is at http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/Columns/?Article=historyshoaxes

I really like this painting. Nice movement throughout, and the fish have personality.

Tamana
04-01-2004, 09:02 PM
:) Rainbow fish.

VieSaintSo
04-01-2004, 09:49 PM
Sorry about that! I thought it was celebrated world wide. It's the day to pull nice pranks on people, nice being the operative word :)
so you don't do that in in the States? Thanks Aura for stepping in. :)
Anyway...the point was your painting and it is incredible.

it'sALLart
04-02-2004, 06:58 AM
thanks for the info and compliments viesaintso and aurora... so, i guess i'm not that stupid after all! :)

viesaint, we have april fools day here but it doesnt have fish connected to it, we usually tell a white "lie" and see if we can fool the other person. You know, "hey, I think there's a spider on your head"... harmless stuff, at least in my neck of the woods. Is there another way we do this in the US?

I ended up putting some more work into this, but it's not a significant change or I'd post it. Just more clean up and a bit of blending. I figured if it's going to be one of my more "designerly" pieces, I should take the time to make it nice and clean. Boy, am I in the mood for another primitive!!! Now, where's my big, rough brush and my beer??? :D

madrigle
04-02-2004, 10:26 AM
ooooooooo! very biological! great movement. reminds me of a school of bioluminesent electric eels. (is there such a thing?) anyway, very rewarding piece to behold.

James

rhmusa
04-02-2004, 01:27 PM
:clap: Love Them
Reminiscent of smelt or salmon running...........can feel the energy -(can't bring myself to use least favorite word "evocative" Makes me want to go get net and dip them...........or frying pan and cook 'em...........
good good job!
:D

regalou
04-02-2004, 06:03 PM
Wow that is awesome!!!! Your handling of light and movemnet is so exciting--I'd love to see this one in real life. Good job!

I love this. Call me crazy, but I think I'd like this painting better if you rotate it once to the right. It looks like an underwater theme with a school of fish swimming from right to left.

ZOTMA
04-02-2004, 07:20 PM
nice work
great flow with the composition
technique and application present the vision very well
I really like

it'sALLart
04-03-2004, 08:04 AM
thanks muchly, mad and rhm!

reg, in the sketch phase of this thing, I had it flipped, flopped, turned every which way trying to figure out which direction i liked... i ended up liking this view because it felt like I was on a bridge, looking down on them as they swam by... but i figure once it's sold, the owner can hang it anyway the want.. and i've cringed when i've seen others hung upside down from my original orientation. thanks tho!

and zot.. wow, this is high marks. totally honored here.