PDA

View Full Version : MacDonald River 3 WIP

Yorky
04-01-2004, 07:53 AM
I hope you aren't getting bored with this painting - but I want to get it right this time! I'll keep the file sizes well down to help with loading.
Here's the sketch:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2004/1046-MacDonald3sketch.jpg
Then the motherwash:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2004/1046-MacDonald3motherwash.jpg
And the background trees:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2004/1046-MacDonald3trees.jpg

I've tried to simplify the tree forms and I aim to do the same with the foreground trees.

Doug

stephie20
04-01-2004, 08:39 AM
I think you've done a wonderful job on those trees.......it's true what they say....practise .....practise.....practise

minov
04-01-2004, 08:50 AM
you're persistant! :) looking good at this point....something really great is going on with the trees...love the contrast developing there.....

mindy

billythekid
04-01-2004, 09:07 AM
Looks good so far...

Sandy1
04-01-2004, 09:08 AM
I agree looking wonderful!!!

Yorky
04-01-2004, 09:46 AM
OK Trees basically finished, paper covered - always a good thing :D and salt applied to foreground rocks.

Now to add cracks, shadows and stains to the rocks. Perhaps a couple more trees in the gaps on the left?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2004/1046-MacDonald3salt.jpg

Doug

vasilkadifeli
04-01-2004, 09:50 AM
No tree trunks at all ? :)
They were adding some color and beauty in #2...

Yorky
04-01-2004, 09:59 AM
Could add some tree trunks Vasil, but don't want to get too detailed.

Looking at it on screen, the foreground trees look to solid to me.

No, I'm not doing it again :rolleyes:

Doug

Merlot
04-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Doug, Looking really good so far. I'm loving the composition and the trees and the foreground is shaping up nicely! This scene looks similar to the scene Pampe recently painted. Is it the same place?? Clueless :rolleyes:

Jijo
04-01-2004, 03:18 PM
Good one Doug, I like the trees , they dont look solid al all, and it will depend on the solidness of the foregroung rocks.
ALex

painterbear
04-01-2004, 03:26 PM
Doug,

This is looking very good. I think your trees are fine on the left, I wouldn't add any more. The ones on the right may need a little more work to make them look as if they are in front. Since they are so big, it would make sense that they are closer to the viewer.

Don't forget to have some color in your rocks, you have lots of texture going on with the salt, which will give you variation as the light hits the nooks and crannies.

I don't know if it is the scan or it is like this IRL, but the mountains seem to have straight lines of layers all down them (as if someone drew them with a rolling ruler????? :rolleyes: ) Maybe they could be softened and made a little less regular.

Look forward to seeing how you finish this when I get back from my mini-vacation on Monday. Good luck, hope no. 3 is a charm and makes YOU happy with it. That is what is important, you certainly have more persistence than I would have.

Sylvia

madmum
04-01-2004, 03:48 PM
Doug,

This is looking very good. I think your trees are fine on the left, I wouldn't add any more. The ones on the right may need a little more work to make them look as if they are in front. Since they are so big, it would make sense that they are closer to the viewer.

Don't forget to have some color in your rocks, you have lots of texture going on with the salt, which will give you variation as the light hits the nooks and crannies.

WSS :) I'd love to see some colour in the rocks, pinks and blues maybe? The texture looks good!

Trees on the left are great! I wonder whether some warmth would work in the trees on the right, and possibly one or 2 in the f/g on the left?

Ruth

Yorky
04-01-2004, 04:02 PM
Sorry folks, I won't finish this until Monday, going to visit JT tomorrow to plan the UK Get Together.

Thanks Joanne, yes, it's the same spot. When I visited Pam last year we went over the Going to the Sun road over the Glacier National Park and it starts by following the MacDonald River.

Thanks Alex, I'm happy with the background trees, they are more like what I was aiming for.

The mountains are very impressive, Sylvia, and aside from the horizontal bedding planes that you can see, they have vertical clefts which hold the snow and during the summer they become spectacular waterfalls. They also cast shadows. See Gary Spetz's painting of Avalanche Lake. http://www.glacierwatercolors.com/z-avalake2.htm

Here's a photo I took of typical strata in the GNP:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2004/1046-GNP.jpg

Yes, I'll be putting staining and colour into the rocks, but I'm afraid I won't be using artificial colour, they will have to look authentic.

I have got a lot nearer to my aim in the process of doing it three times. Just hope I won't fall back into my old ways on my next painting :D

PS No funny colours, Ruth :D I have already warmed up a few of the trees to avoid the sharp transition between the background and foreground.

Doug

Europa
04-01-2004, 05:07 PM
Thanks for this WIP Doug - am following it with interest - cant wait to see the finished result - looking great so far.

Pat

laudesan
04-01-2004, 06:28 PM
Move over Pat..Here have an icecream..

WOOT Doug!!

AAA for perseverance..;)

CharM
04-01-2004, 07:39 PM
Doug, I must confess that I've had a good laugh at your expense... I can't believe that I've never met you, but feel that I know you... :D When I read Ruth's suggestion, I thought "he'll never go for that"... and sure enough... You responded that you weren't putting any *funny colours* in your painting!!!

This is looking excellent... You've loosed up that grip on your brush tremendously... Your greens are lovely... I can't wait to see the finish on Version 3... I seriously admire your tenacity!

sweetbabydill
04-02-2004, 01:55 AM
Doug, I am liking this one much better.
Athough I like all three.
The different gradations in tree values are great, beautiful colors.
I can see you determined to master this one! :-)
BTW - Great Photo!
Carolyn

Yorky
04-02-2004, 02:30 AM
Just checking in before we set off for Kington. Nope - I'm not addicted :angel:

LOL Char - you got me down pat :D

Well, Carolyn, I was thinking - but really all the trees are the same species and should be the same colour.

Call it artists license.

Bye for now,

Doug

Kate Mc
04-02-2004, 03:15 AM
Woot! Doug, you're getting looser! I also admire your tenacity in doing this same scene over and over. For me, that's a good tool to learn. It's one of the things I'm doing to loosen up too. I love the trees, and can't wait to see the rocks when you're done!!

But don't forget that we love your "un-loose" style already... :clap:

Kate

seedy
04-02-2004, 10:03 AM
Doug.....
This is coming along just fine.....
Went to Gary Spetz' site.....I'm ready to move :) That sure is spendid scenery and he makes it look even better.
And his trees....wow.
Now I see where you are going with the salt on the rocks.
You mean you're not going to do a "mother" pour on them? :evil:
I sort of agree with Vlad....a few very light tree trunks could go in the light areas at the base of the dark trees....but no more than a few....just a hint.
Something you may want to try in the future with fir trees.
As the trees you are painting start drying out, pick up pure pigment of the lightest yellow you have. In my case its Hansa yellow DaVinci, (don't mix with water) and drop it into the green on the light side. Just touch the paper with the tip of the brush. once. You should get an explosion of sorts when the yellow pushes the green away. As it dries, it will diffuse somewhat and should give the tree some variation and interesting texture.
With the very dark trees which you have in the b/g, I sometimes do the same thing, but with burnt sienna.
Naturally you would want to play with this and it may not appeal to you. The secret is in the dampness of the paper when you add the touch of yellow.
Looking forward to seeing the rest and have added the Gary Spetz site to my favs....for inspiration now and then.

pampe
04-02-2004, 10:08 AM
Looking great, DOug

It is so difficult to capture this scenery....too beautiful

I like the way the tird one is evolving

Cahr naile doyu, eh?

And they are NOT funny color.....afetr all....blue and yellow make green.....just put them in separeatly :evil:

P

Yorky
01-31-2012, 11:30 AM
Finished off the third one but forgot to upload it:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2012/1046-MacDonladRiver3finished.jpg

Doug

kayakartist
01-31-2012, 11:50 AM
Looks good to me! Looking forward to seeing finished product. Reminds of Gary Spetz of whom I am a big fan.