PDA

View Full Version : Fish Prints???????

cincctx
04-01-2004, 12:41 AM
Can anyone give me information on how to make fish prints. What type of paints to use, and what type of material to print the fish on. If anyone can give me info on this process it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Cristina

Alan Cross
04-01-2004, 01:50 AM
The ones I have seen done tempra paints were used to paint the fish then paper was pressed onto it.....kind of cool but gooey....
Alan :)

VeldaJ
04-01-2004, 04:39 PM
Sorry, Christina, this isn't something I kow anything about.

xavier
04-01-2004, 07:36 PM
I'm not 100% certain but I believe what your looking for
is a Japanese art form called Gyotaku.Try on the internet search,
Gyotaku Fish Prints

Lorijo
04-01-2004, 07:49 PM
I never messed with it but it sure sounds fun. The directions I remember was be sure to wash the fish off well with some detergent to get the slime off. Pat dry. Then brush any printing ink on them, put the paper on top the fish and rub with a spoon. I think I have seen it on cloth too. Lorijo

Printmakerguy
04-02-2004, 07:29 PM
Can anyone give me information on how to make fish prints. What type of paints to use, and what type of material to print the fish on. If anyone can give me info on this process it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Cristina

I did some a LONG time ago... Xavier is correct- it is a japanese art form, Gyotaku, historically used to record the size of fish caught, so the fisherman could later verify his fish story... Here's how I recall doing it-

1) The flatter the fish, the better! Flounder are great... Any fish will work, though.

2) Wash the fish, to get the 'slime' off of it. The slime is a protective coating for the fish, and ink won't stick to it so well. Used lots of cold water, and some dish soap helps, too- Just dont use soap if you plan on eating the fish later!! Lemon juice can also help 'cut' the slime. Be a little careful, and wipe with the scales, or they will come off!

3) Dry the fish- You probably want it really dry, but you can experiment with this, if it is a little wet, it will produce some interesting prints.

4) Ink it up! You can use any number of inks, block printing inks work beautifully, in either oil or water base. You can also use watercolors, acrylics, tempra- pretty much anything. You can apply it with a brayer, brush, etc, to get different textures/effects.

5) Print it! You can either lay it on the paper or lay the paper on it... Depends on what you are looking to get out of it... You will find it easier to burnish the print if you lay the paper on the fish rather than the other way 'round... Don't put too much pressure on the fish, though- They will leak on you!

Don't want to deal with REAL fish? Check THIS (http://www.dickblick.com/zz429/07/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=3590) out... Saw it at one of the stores once, kind of cool....