PDA

View Full Version : Execution Rocks

J.Dillon
03-31-2004, 11:17 PM
This light house is in Long Island Sound near New Rochelle NY.
The painting is acrylic on masonite 12" 15" I'l like to put in the section about light houses but cannot find the "New thread " prompt

watercolorbill
04-01-2004, 03:38 AM
Very nice painting. I lke the lightning,and it certainly is the weather we are having right now

RhiannonJ
04-01-2004, 09:39 AM
Ohh yes. I like this a lot! I'm a real weather nut and love thunderstorms. The mood in this painting is awesome... very dramatic! How did you get that lightning to look so good? I did a painting of a thunderstorm back about two months ago and had a heck of a time getting the lightning bolt to look right. Mine was in oils. Don't know if it makes a difference that you're painting in acrylics or not.

Rhi

Alan Cross
04-01-2004, 11:22 AM
Hi thats a nasty storm....here is the link to upload to the lighthouse project..
http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/upload_final.php?proj_id=663

Alan :)

Drumbeat-trish
04-01-2004, 01:24 PM
What a wonderful sky- great drama in this :) Do you mind me asking how you did the rain??? I have in mind a painting that involves rain at some point and have no idea how to achieve that

J.Dillon
04-01-2004, 02:17 PM
Thanks all for your comments.

To get the lighting to look real , I just built up successive layers of paint on the bolt with white paint. maybe 6 or so times . This enables the bolt to get reflect ambient light to your eye from any angle and makes it kind of pop out.

The rain was done with one of this fan type brushes applied kind of real thinned out diluted white with a bit of grey. This was very lightly "brushed " on the finished painting. The brush very loosely held. Consideration must be given to the direction of the wind.

Hope this helps.

VeldaJ
04-01-2004, 04:48 PM
This is an absolutely superb *stormy weather* painting, JFD. Thanks for your explanation of how to create the rain and lightning effect.

To include this in the Lighthouse Thread you have to Go to the first post in the thread and part way down you'll see a *Click Here* link for more information. Click on that to take you to the Project thread and sign up for the project. Once you're signed up you can upload either progress images or finished works by simply following the links.

You can also go to the Project Thread Direct by clicking on the Projects Button, (3rd from the left under the Wet Canvas logo) and selecting Beacons of the Night from the list of Projects.

JamieWG
04-01-2004, 05:26 PM
Wonderful painting! I love the nasty sky and turbulent water. I grew up in New Rochelle.....'Will have to drive down there and find that lighthouse! Do you know where it can be viewed from?

Jamie

J.Dillon
04-01-2004, 10:26 PM
Thanks Velda, & Allen for the prompt.

I some how stumbled in and posted this image in the Lighthouse project . I'm not sure on just how I did it.

The view is from seaward with the city of New Rochell in the back ground.

I think there is a park on the shore line that might have a view of the lighthouse.

Marty C
04-07-2004, 10:59 PM
Hi JFD,
Breathtaking sky and lightning, superb job of a wet and wild night.

mairrca
04-09-2004, 09:21 PM
Incredible painting. Love the lightening. Thanks for explaining how to paint the lightening and the rain. :clap: