PDA

View Full Version : lion rock Piha

Drumbeat-trish
03-31-2004, 01:12 PM
This is my first attempt using oils, and I think the image has photograped a little too blue. Had trouble thinking about values and things in this a) unfamiliar medium b) I took the ref pic for this from rocks directly this rock and sort of found it hard to relate the distance because its really quite close -if that makes any sense at all?? errrrr anyway this is a well known landmark in Auckland where I live with this rock dominating and almost cutting Piha beach into 2.
9"x12" on canvas pad. Thanks for taking a look. xposted in oils
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2004/6194-pihaol.JPG

DFGray
03-31-2004, 01:55 PM
Hi Drumbeat Trish
Looks good to me
are the waves meeting the backwash from the beach?
regards
Dan

meowmeow
03-31-2004, 03:45 PM
Very nice Trish...especially with a brand new medium. I like how that wave leads you right back to the rock.

Sandy

VeldaJ
03-31-2004, 05:48 PM
Looks good to me Trish. Good work on the tree clad rock and with the surf splashing up beyond you've certainly captured the feeling of distant water beyond..

Marty C
04-07-2004, 10:49 PM
Hi Trish,
I like the turbulent water leading back to the island. You are right in regards the distance aspect - it is quite hard to judge the scale in this work, the net effect being the island seems to be quite distant. This, however, does not detract from the piece, the movement in the water in particular is very well done.

mairrca
04-09-2004, 09:25 PM
I couldn't find this painting in this forum the last time I looked...and suddenly here it is. I commented on it in the Oil Painting forum but I like it even better in here. :D