PDA

View Full Version : Master of the month #4 - April

Matt Sammekull
03-31-2004, 07:36 AM
This month we paint with the Belgian artist René Magritte, a member of the surrealist movement, together with names like Salvador Dalí, Max Ernst, Man Ray, filmmaker Buñuel and poet Andre Breton.
Unlike the other Surrealists, however, Magritte did not juxtapose unrelated objects to create new definitions. Rather, he believed that all objects are rationally related to other objects. In this way, Magritte explored the relationships between objects in his paintings. The objects painted by Magritte suggest an inherent meaning independent from the viewers' previous experiences, opinions and ideas; as a result, the objects become "concrete universals."

It is rather suitable that the month of April, with it's April fools day is featured by Magritte, who constantly "fooled" the viewer with his impossible images. René Magritte was a master not only of the obvious, but of the obscure as well. In his artwork, Magritte toyed with everyday objects, human habits and emotions, placing them in foreign contexts and questioning their familiar meanings. He suggested new interpretations of old things in his deceivingly simple paintings, making the commonplace profound and the rational irrational. He painted his canvasses in the same manner as he lived his life, - in strange modesty and under constant analysis.

The artist:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2004/15549-self.jpg

He was born in 1898 in the small town of Lessines, a cosmopolitan area of Belgium that was greatly influenced by the French. Twelve years later, Magritte, along with his parents and two younger brothers, moved to Châtelet, where the future artist studied sketching. On vacations with his grandmother and Aunt Flora during the summer months, Magritte frequented an old cemetery at Soignies. In this cemetery, Magritte often played with a little girl, opening trap doors and descending into underground vaults. This experience would prove a great influence upon his later artwork, as wooden caskets and granite tombstones recur in many of his paintings. Magritte also developed a fascination with religion around this time, often dressing up as a priest and holding mock mass services in complete seriousness.

On August 15, 1967, Magritte died in Brussels. Unlike many of his Surrealist counterparts, Magritte lived quite humbly and inconspicuously. He did not draw much attention to himself, and he lived life relatively uneventfully. Despite his unassuming lifestyle, though, Magritte managed to leave an artistic legacy of transforming the ordinary into the fantastic. While some art historians attribute Magritte's art to his desire to oppose and combat the triviality of everyday life, others suggest that his work goes beyond escapism and serves to reveal some of the murkier and complex aspects of the human condition. Whatever the impetus was for his art, it is certain that Magritte's works are at once hauntingly beautiful and deeply provocative.

Featured painting:
The Great war, (La grande Guerre) 1964, oil on canvas 65x54cm, (26x24,5")

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2004/15549-The_Great_War.jpg

Technique:
I myself did do a copy of this painting a good while ago, (as some of you have mentioned! ;) )and used a canvas toned with acrylic yellow. This will be straight-on painting, with only some glazing if any in the last stages of the creation. Magritte's painting are all very smooth, which means he used a very soft brush, maybe a fan shaped one, to even out any edges and brushstrokes. Keep a very light hand as you use this brush, only letting the tips of the hair touch the canvas, and use with rapid movements, up and down, back and forth.

I believe this palette would do just fine for this painting:
- White
- Yellow ochre
- Cadmium red pale
- Prussian blue (together with yellow ochre will make the most beautiful greens)
- Viridian
- Burnt Umber
- Ivory black

High resolution image can be found here. (http://www.jemawi.com)

For more information and additional images go here (http://www.ocaiw.com/catalog/index.php?lang=en&catalog=pitt&author=519&page=1)

Good luck.

//matt

Eugene Veszely
03-31-2004, 09:48 AM
Hey I see that Matt is back in charge!!! :)

Rosic
03-31-2004, 02:25 PM
I'm going to be away two weekends this April but still plan to participate this month... on a roll... can't quit now! ;)

Hope plenty of my pards join in the fun this month! :clap:

I know... I sound like a recruiting poster... ;) :p

Bernie

Matt Sammekull
03-31-2004, 02:39 PM
Yep, - I'm back!

Bernie, I'm glad you'll be here this MOM as well. I'll participate as well, even though I've painted it before. It such a easy painting to like, and very neutral, so I'll finish it, and give to anyone who might want it.

Cheers,

//matt

gabymerediz
03-31-2004, 04:48 PM
Hi! I am relatively new to Wet Canvas, but I have some posts up already. I have been so inspired by the site that I have been painting almost nonstop! So much that I didn't have time for last month's MOM, but am definitely up for this month's challenge. I love Magritte and surrealism, always wanted to copy some Dali's but never got around to it, so this is my chance! I am very excited about it.

artbabe21
03-31-2004, 05:59 PM
There ya go Matt.....I stickied this for you. Welcome back!! Exciting new MOM!! :)

gaby...welcome to WC and the oil forum...so glad you'll be joining the group...we're glad to have you...:)

dcorc
04-01-2004, 12:13 PM
Well, here we go again!

Acrylic-gessoed hardboard 16x17ins. Freehand drawn in burnt umber, with adjustments by washing out with mineral spirits using a slightly larger brush.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2004/30792-gw1.jpg

First thing that strikes me about this painting is that while it's broadly symmetical, there are lots of small assymmetries in it.

Dave

Matt Sammekull
04-01-2004, 12:23 PM
Heya Dave!

Don't you agree with me, when I say this one is a bit "easier" to paint than the previous months? There's just a question of plain, simple painting! Are you going to work in layers?

Cheers,

//matt

dcorc
04-01-2004, 12:38 PM
Heya Dave!

Don't you agree with me, when I say this one is a bit "easier" to paint than the previous months? There's just a question of plain, simple painting! Are you going to work in layers?

Cheers,

//matt

Well I'll probably make a fool of myself after saying this, but I suspect this is technically the easiest painting of the year.

My first thoughts are to try and do this one pretty much "straight ahead", probably a block-in followed by one layer mainly worked wet, background to foreground in order.

Any suggestions?

Do we know anything about Magritte's process - are there any pictures of unfinished paintings? - or of him working on one? - or any documentary film/video of him painting?

Dave

dcorc
04-01-2004, 01:38 PM
In fact I thought I'd start to block it in a bit like this:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2004/30792-gw2.jpg

:D Dave

bjs0704
04-01-2004, 03:04 PM
Dave, I love the sky in your painting! :cool:

It isn't the sky that Magritte did, but I think I like it better! :D

I am thinking of trying this MOM. I notice that Dave is working 16"x17". How do you go about determining a size. Proportion can be so important to the overall composition of a painting.

Barb Solomon :cat:

dcorc
04-01-2004, 03:31 PM
Dave, I love the sky in your painting! :cool:

It isn't the sky that Magritte did, but I think I like it better! :D

I am thinking of trying this MOM. I notice that Dave is working 16"x17". How do you go about determining a size. Proportion can be so important to the overall composition of a painting.

Thank you, Barb! It's only the blocking-in stage; presumably you won't like it as much later, as I'd like to get it closer to Magritte's! :p

I always look at the info on sizes of the originals - I then ask myself how comfortable I am trying to do a reduced size version. I've got boards 24x24ins, 24x16ins, and 16x12ins, as these are easy sizes to cut down from 24x48ins at the local hardware store.

So I just calculate the ratios to give me one side ending up 24, 16 or 12 ins and trim the board accordingly. In this case I decided to use a 24 x 16 board, and trimmed it to 17x16ins to get the same aspect ratio ( ~1.06 ) as the original(as 24 x22.6ins - from a 24ins square - seemed a bit big for this painting). Conveniently, the bit I've sawn off is big enough to do for next month's at actual size! :D

Dave

dcorc
04-01-2004, 05:46 PM
Block-in completed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2004/30792-gw3.jpg

Dave

Matt Sammekull
04-01-2004, 06:19 PM
Great start Dave! I just finished my drawing... will post "in progress" pic's tomorrow!

Good night everybody!

//matt

artbabe21
04-01-2004, 06:19 PM
woohooooooooo! Way to go Dave!! I like it already!! You are quick to the start! Looking quite GOOD!

Regretfully I won't be able to join you yet again another month (I don't paint men...LOL...naw, just teasing) other painting commitments are awaiting me...but don't worry......'I'll be back!' Didn't Arnold say that?????????? :eek:

Rosic
04-01-2004, 06:27 PM
Dave... you're jammin' man! Looking good! :clap:
It will be next week before I can join in on the fun. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know Magritte's meaning behind the symbolism of this piece?
"The Great War"... I guess I see this as man blinded by sin/war... the subject is obviously "well to do" giving credence to the saying... "rich mans war, poor mans fight".
JMHO... ;)
Bernie

dcorc
04-01-2004, 06:32 PM
Does anyone know Magritte's meaning behind the symbolism of this piece?
"The Great War"...

I think "The Great War" refers to the struggle to achieve a likeness in portraiture - Magritte was clearly hopeless at this, hence his falling back on "still life" solutions such as carefully placed fruit and drapery. :D

Dave

Punkjazz
04-01-2004, 07:17 PM
Wow. I can't wait to jump in to this MOM project. It will be my first. I was telling Dave in a different thread that I can't start painting again until I get my damn taxes all figured out for this past year. So, hopefully I'll get that wrapped up pretty soon. I'm hoping to get my sketch done and the canvas toned this evening.

I can't wait to see everybody's progress on this piece!!! :) Dave's got a pretty slammin' start, huh!?!?! :) Way to go, DAVE!!! :clap:

Take care,

TeAnne
04-02-2004, 02:10 AM
I would love to do this one if I can find the time.

Matt Sammekull
04-02-2004, 03:19 AM
Hey!

For everyone who's afraid they wont have the time for this one, - relax! This is an "easy" one for sure... and you might even paint it in one sitting with good result. There's a slight catroonish style over this painting I think.

Anyway. Here's my progression.
I use an old panel I had lying around, toned in burnt Sienna, which will do just fine for this MOM.
I sketched up the motif, first in charcoal which I dusted away, then by using diluted raw umber, (diluted with turpentine).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2004/15549-01.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2004/15549-02.jpg

Today, I'll paint the sky.

Cheers,

//matt

dcorc
04-02-2004, 03:52 AM
Matt - looking good.

TeAnne, Punkjazz (anyone else out there wondering if they should try this) - I agree with Matt, this one could be done at a single sitting if you want - come on, join in, have a go!

Dave

Rosic
04-02-2004, 09:06 AM
Sketched, fixed, and waiting for paint! Not much done... just wanted to prove to you guys that I'm officially on-board too. It will be next week before I can pick up the brush... going camping this weekend. :D
Bern

Dave and Matt... Looking good!

Everyone else... What are you waiting for? Join in on the fun!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2004/17108-momapril3.JPG

DLGardner
04-02-2004, 10:05 AM
Welcome back Matt!
I'm definately going to try this one but I won't be able to for a little while. I'm in the midst of looking for a new house and moving. Its my turn.
:)

But this one looks like fun. Hope lots of people try it this month.

Dianne

loop
04-02-2004, 10:43 AM
I think "The Great War" refers to the struggle to achieve a likeness in portraiture - Magritte was clearly hopeless at this, hence his falling back on "still life" solutions such as carefully placed fruit and drapery. :D

Dave

I wonder about that, he does not have many faces, this painting is almost identical to SON OF MAN which I have read , a friend asked for a self portrait in which Magritte replied that everything that a person sees is blocking something else that they would rather see.

5thsister
04-02-2004, 01:19 PM
Hi all,

As a brand spanking newbie to oils and a lurker of this forum for several weeks I am thinking maybe, just maybe I might try my hand at this month's MOM. (Please don't hold me to it, however. :D ) Anyway, I "googled" Magritte and The Great War, in order to get a better perspective of this painting...what I got was not the painting in this thread, but rather one of a Victorian-era woman in white with her face hidden by lilacs.

The Great War (http://www.hammondgallery.co.uk/view_pic.php3?aid=45&pid=1391)

I did, however, see a painting close to the one shown at the beginning of this thread but it was titled The Son of Man. Would someone please set me straight...I am so confused! :confused:

Thanks!

5thsister
04-02-2004, 01:20 PM
Ooops! Loop was one step ahead of me on this one! :p

Rosic
04-02-2004, 02:11 PM
As a brand spanking newbie to oils and a lurker of this forum for several weeks I am thinking maybe, just maybe I might try my hand at this month's MOM. (Please don't hold me to it, however. :D )
Thanks!
I started oils in January with the MOM project... can't think of a better way to learn and be encouraged by fellow artists. I find that it helps hold me accountable to painting on a regular basis. Give it a try... you will make some close bonds with friends here that can only be explained by experiencing it. My plate is full this month and it would be easier for me not to do this painting but I don't want to lose out on the learning experience and more importantly... the comraderie I share with everyone here.

In other words... I'm holding you to it! :evil: :D :D
Bernie

5thsister
04-02-2004, 03:37 PM
In other words... I'm holding you to it! :evil: :D :D
Bernie

OUCH!!! Feeling the pressure! :eek:

I actually began lessons 2 weeks ago...a wonderful gift from my daughter. I've had 2 lessons thus far and have really enjoyed the medium. My drawing skills are lacking and my previous artistic endeavors include pottery (both wheel and slab work) and fabric art.

I will give it serious consideration, Bernie!

artbabe21
04-02-2004, 04:17 PM
OUCH!!! Feeling the pressure! :eek:

I actually began lessons 2 weeks ago...a wonderful gift from my daughter. I've had 2 lessons thus far and have really enjoyed the medium.

Oh.......please don't feel pressure...:) The intention of this project besides painting after the Masters is to have a sort of virtual classroom where we can all learn from each other.....there is no better way to learn than just picking up the brush & doing it!! :D

It's so easy to put it off....I just painted for the first time today in over 7 weeks due to some family/travel plans. Boy, it felt GOOD! I'm on that paint high....(no, I had the windows open!) just the high of doing it!! :)

Matt Sammekull
04-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Magritte painted many canvases with a similar motif, a man who's face is covered by an apple or a bird.
Son of man is somewhat larger, and covering more than just the head/shoulders part.
So, there shouldn't be any confusion on this... Son of man is a completely different painting, this one is "The great war", although he named another painting with the same title.
That was his thing you know... playing around with titles of his work. You can almost never relate the title to the painting at first glance. The two versions of "the great war" were painted one after the other, both in 1964. The lady's face in version #2 is covered by a bridal bouquet. Go figure were that came from...
In the Museum of Moder Art in Stockholm, they had a Magritte. The painting was of two leg-less feet, which from the toes up to the ankles gradually transfered into a pair of boots.
Magritte named this painting "The red model". ???

//matt

5thsister
04-02-2004, 05:12 PM
Thank you, Matt, for the explaination. I just found your link to the high resolution painting on your web site. I guess I will give it a go, bearing in mind my efforts will appear quite amature to the wonderful works I have seen in this forum. Artbabe is correct, how will I learn if I don't give it a whirl. OK...I'm in! I will have to make a small workspace somewhere in my home. I will start when I am finished with a 1st Communion banner project I've been commissioned to do. Are there demerits if the MOM isn't finished by month's end? Also, I do not have any way of uploading images in a timely fashion (no digital camera :( ) I now just have to tear myself away from WC long enough to work on this project!!! :D

Thanks for the encouragement!

Rosic
04-02-2004, 06:49 PM
OK...I'm in!
Thanks for the encouragement!
:clap: :clap: Hip-Hip-Hooray! :clap: :clap:
Promise you won't regret it...

only one condition...

you must have fun!

No pressure or time limits... ;)
Bern

Matt Sammekull
04-03-2004, 03:23 AM
Hi.

I did the sky just now... it didn't take more than 30 minutes or so. I used white, Prussian blue, black and in some areas a small tad of ochre. It is my believe that any yellow we see in the sky is due to the varnish yellowing, and not the actual paint. But of course I could be wrong.

Beginning with almost pure white:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2004/15549-03.jpg

And continuing with more black and blue:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2004/15549-04.jpg

//matt

Eugene Veszely
04-03-2004, 07:57 AM
Matt you are almost finished !! ;)

Punkjazz
04-03-2004, 04:42 PM
okay...here's my sketch-n-tone. I'm gonna try to stick to Matt's advice in regards to technique and palette. I'm going to start some color this evening.

Matt, I really dig how you've got your sky happening! Very cool.

Matt Sammekull
04-03-2004, 05:06 PM
Hey there Chameleon... what do you mean with "almost" finished?? What? - You think I need to work some more on it? What?? You think I stink or what?? ;) :D

Nah... but you're right.. it's almost finished. Two or three sessions more and this one will be ready.

Hey PunkJazz!

As for the palette... I might include a yellow for the skin... it's look more yellow than what yellow ochre could achieve, maybe adding Naples yellow or something.

Keep it up!

//matt

loop
04-03-2004, 06:25 PM
off to a good start already everybody !

I'm gonna play this month too :D
here is my almost finished underpaining I kinda ran out of time

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2004/6307-great_war1.jpg

Eugene Veszely
04-04-2004, 09:25 AM
Hey there Chameleon... what do you mean with "almost" finished?? What? - You think I need to work some more on it? What?? You think I stink or what?? ;) :D

Nah... but you're right.. it's almost finished. Two or three sessions more and this one will be ready.

//matt

You are further along than me!! ;)

guillot
04-04-2004, 12:07 PM
I just wanted to pop in this morning and say you are all so impressive :) What a great group of people :clap:

Tina

loop
04-04-2004, 04:37 PM
hello everybody, I got a chance to finish up my first pass.
this photo is a lot more accurate too, but stull crappy :rolleyes:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2004/6307-great_war2.jpg

artmom
04-04-2004, 07:34 PM
Was this the painting that was featured in "The Thomas Crown Affair" that inspired the myriad of bowler-hatted men? Inquiring minds want to know! LOL

This is great watching this thread. Hopefully, I can try this when my new M. Graham oils arrive! :D

Lyn

Matt Sammekull
04-04-2004, 07:57 PM
Yes, this is the painting from the movie.

Oh you'll love your tubes from Michael Graham. Which ones did you order?

Nice going Loop!!!

//matt

jhodyl12
04-04-2004, 11:51 PM
Wow, I see I missed a lot by being away for a week or so.

I have had a number of setbacks in finishing last months MOM (I am still working on getting it finished, soon I hope) but between a complete re-organization of my painting area, a major change at my job, and not feeling too well for a few days I got a bit behind.

I am planning on doing this months MOM also but I have a question for everybody. What size canvas are you using? I am still very new to this and I don’t want to get into making my own canvases at this time. I also can’t seem to find pre-made canvases/panels that come close to the proportion of the original (26X24.5).

I already have a 16X20 canvas panel and some 20X20 stretched canvases but didn’t know how much trouble I would be getting myself into by trying to use a canvas that was a little ‘off’. I think the 20X20 would be the best choice, anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,
James H.

Matt Sammekull
04-05-2004, 06:20 AM
Hi James.
Don't you worry about getting the absolute correct size of the canvas/board. Just draw up a rectangle on one of your canvases with the correct ratio. Then you could cover the canvas outside your drawn lines with some scotch tape... and when your painting is finished, take away the tape and you'll have a "frame", or a paspartout. (no way I spelled that rigth!)

Not much happened on my version... am about to add some whites to the sky.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2004/15549-05.jpg

//matt

jhodyl12
04-05-2004, 02:58 PM
Hi Matt,

Thank you for the information; it’s a perfectly simple and effective solution. :clap:

I think I will use my 20 X 20, if only for the fact that it’s already gessoed and ready to start working on when I get home from work.

Thanks,
James.

Matt Sammekull
04-05-2004, 04:56 PM
it’s already gessoed and ready to start working on

... now THAT is a good reason!

Good luck!

//matt

Rosic
04-05-2004, 11:20 PM
I am gone for a weekend and come back WAY behind... :D
so James you aren't the only one! ;)

Matt... yours is looking great... love the sky!

Loop and Punkjazz... Glad you both are in... progressing quite well I might add.

Tina... Hey!

Hope to put the brush to mine this week sometime.

Bern

Punkjazz
04-06-2004, 06:35 PM
Here's what I have going on so far. My sky stinks!!! But anyway, it's just at a pretty thin underpainting stage so far. I'm going to work to get the colors more accurate on my next pass. I'll probably hit it again this Firday, once it's completely dry.

Any suggestions for my poor sky? Suggestions on the man or apple?

Thanks!

Rosic
04-06-2004, 09:24 PM
Here's what I have going on so far. My sky stinks!!!
What are you talking about? :confused: This looks great PJ! :clap:
Can't wait to see your progression.
Bern

dcorc
04-06-2004, 10:28 PM
Bernie - nice clear prep sketch; got the paint out yet? :) I certainly agree about the cameraderie - that's half the fun of it.

Dianne - hope you can find time to have a go at this one in due course!

loop - coming along well! looking forward to seeing your next stage

Polly - glad to hear you're joining us - copying master paintings is an excellent way to learn and consolidate the basics, and doing it as a group is a great opportunity to discuss the details of people's approaches to resolving specific problems of technique and procedure.

Cathleen - good to hear that you're painting, pity you can't join us for this one.

Matt - looking good, rapid progress there on the sky.

1cham - come on, blow the dust off that easel, wash the cobwebs off your brushes, and have a go! :)

PJ - you're progressing well - for the sky, if you look back at the ref, there's lots of fairly subtle variations of grey-blues, swirling about. Your man looks good - back at the ref note what's going on around the top of the apple, with slightly bluish colours on the top of the curve.

Tina - thank you for the encouragement!

Lyn - hoping you can join us too !

James - 20 x 20's good - I'm doing these on MOM's on board, so I cut them to the correct proportions - I'll worry about framing them later! (contemplating buying a decent mitre-saw rig like the one Linoxyn was recommending a while back, and doing my own frames).

I've still ended up painting this in layers (3 so far), just paint and a very little mineral spirits, quite a bit of blending. Almost there, I think; one further pass at it mainly to emphasise lighter areas and highlights, and it should be done:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2004/30792-gw4.jpg

Dave

artbabe21
04-06-2004, 11:12 PM
You guys & gals are making it LOOK too easy!!!!!!! These are really looking fab-U-lous! I'm thrilled you're all giving this a go.......:)

I'll catch you on the flip flop...just glad I am in the paints at all at this point!!

Matt Sammekull
04-07-2004, 03:23 AM
Excellent, excellent, excellent Dave! Well done.

//matt

Eugene Veszely
04-07-2004, 05:34 AM
1cham - come on, blow the dust off that easel, wash the cobwebs off your brushes, and have a go! :)

Dave

:confused: How did you know about the cobwebs?? :eek: :rolleyes: :)

Rosic
04-07-2004, 08:06 AM
Bravo Dave! :clap:

I'm presently working on two other paintings as well and hope to start putting the brush to this one today. :)

Bern

bjs0704
04-08-2004, 04:08 PM
This is how far I have gotten so far. I just wanted to let all of you know that I am still at it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Apr-2004/11410-singleman.jpg

dcorc
04-10-2004, 11:28 AM
Matt, Bern - thank you - final version below....

Cathleen - encouraging us all on, as always!

:confused: How did you know about the cobwebs?? :eek: :rolleyes: :)
My spies are everywhere :evil: - but unfortunately, don't have digital cameras with them :( :p

Barb - keep going, it's looking good.

Finished this one, I think.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2004/30792-gw5.jpg

Detail of the top left hand corner

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2004/30792-gw5a.jpg

Dave

Rosic
04-10-2004, 03:17 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
I can't get the word STUNNING out of my head to say anything more!
Bern

Punkjazz
04-10-2004, 05:07 PM
Dave!!! I can't say it enough...you are an absolute BAD ASS!!! Your rendition Rocks!!!! :) I'm embarassed to post mine!!! :)

Well here's how she panned out for me. I'm happy with it...sometimes, after a quick glance. But once I start nitpicking the flaws, I get a bit upset. But, hey, it's all in the name of learning, practice and progress though! :) It was definitely a good time for me.

Any suggestions for improvement?

Thanks,

dcorc
04-11-2004, 11:55 AM
Bern - THANK YOU ! :)
How's yours coming along?

PunkJazz - Thank you - and there's certainly no need to be embarrassed - you've recently started in oils, and each painting shows considerable and rapid progress. A lot of it is just about getting "paintbrush mileage", and the best way to do that is to do lots of paintings, and try different techniques - these MOMs are great for that. If you have a look back at the original reference Magritte, the sky's quite turbulent and threatening, with more agitated smaller brushstrokes, by comparison with the blandness of the brushwork on his figure.

Dave

loop
04-11-2004, 12:14 PM
these are all looking great , what a good month

Barb that is coming along great, a very soft style you have there adds mystery

Punk: that turned out cool I like how you can tell it's yours it has your style. very :cool: and don't worry later on when it's not so fresh the "glaring flaws" YOU see will be less evident.

Dave.. I think you accidently posted the refrence.. :eek: . what's to say.. a joy to behold. what colors did you use for the suit ?

here is mine after the second layer. I have been trying to just lay in the paint and there is VERY little blending. I tried Maroger's medium for this layer and boy is that stuff nice to paint with. I have not done anything more on the sky, I wanted to tone down the blue and add some yellow, anybody have a good idea how ?? I was thinking mabey a umber/ochre glaze ??

anyway here is another fairly crappy pic you cannot even see the variations in the suit :rolleyes:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2004/6307-great_war3.jpg

ahhh crap ... the painting just dropped out of the easle the panel hit the floor on the corner, flipped and landed.....paint up...whew :eek:

Rosic
04-11-2004, 11:02 PM
Barb... Looking great! :clap:

Dave... Still can't get that word STUNNING out of my mind! ;)

PJ... Impressive! Love that green! :)

Loop... That sky and that apple look delicious! Nice work. :)

Matt... How's yours coming?

Cathleen... Thanks for being our cheerleader! :clap:

Tina... I miss you. :crying:

I got to paint a couple of hours on mine today (for the first time). I will post an update tomorrow (gotta wait for daylight for my digi). :p

Cool to see everyone's style coming out in this one. :cool:

Bern

TeAnne
04-11-2004, 11:14 PM
Hey Peeps, these are really great. I love all the skys.
I didn't start yet. :(

Rosic
04-12-2004, 08:50 AM
Here's the update I promised:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2004/17108-momapril4.JPG

bjs0704
04-12-2004, 03:22 PM
PJ - Good work! The only thing that I can think of about the clouds is too remember that they are getting light from the top and they are shadowed on the bottom. (Now, if I could only follow my own advice.)

Dave - Your version is GREAT! I love the “Ceci ne pas une Magritte” It’s too funny.

loop - You have done very well. Your version has really good skin tones. You have really gotten the warmth of the sun on the man.

Rosic - You have made a nice start! I can’t wait to see. the rest. Your sky is great!

I've finished mine. I will post it later after I have taken it's picture.

bjs0704
04-13-2004, 01:02 AM
Here is my version of Magritte. I'm not sure - I think I have made his head a bit big.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Apr-2004/11410-finalmagritte.jpg

gorie
04-13-2004, 11:46 PM
well, i decided to give this a shot. unfortunately i went with a 12x12 canvas which i knew ahead of time wasn't a good idea, but i've spent enough on art supplies for awhile so i worked with what i had. figure it's better than not trying at all... i dunno.

so here's where i am at... it's pretty ugly right now and this photo is pretty bad too.:o hopefully i can make it better. :( i spent a long time on the sky (about an hour and a half), it's my first time trying something like that. it still needs a little work. then i started to get bored and started filling in color in the suite cuz i wanted to clean up my palette. oh well :p

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Apr-2004/35483-picture007.jpg

Biki
04-14-2004, 03:38 AM
Tell ya wot - you guys ALL rock.!!!

I am so impressed that Jazz & Carey gave it a go and have done so well.
and Dave? - grrrrrrr - you're just too good for words.

I want to do May's MOM - but am feeling nervous already. It is such a teensy one. Can I do it larger? - and if I do, will someone hold my hand.? ... and tell me what to do next with each step.?

and, and - where can I read up on it so I can be thinking about it over the next couple of weeks.?

Rosic
04-14-2004, 04:30 AM
Barb... Two thumbs up! Wasn't this fun?

Gorie... So glad to see you dive in too!... Off to a great start.

Biki... Any size... Any Crop... just glad to have ya ;) ! I'm looking forward to May's project also.

Bern (no update) :(

Matt Sammekull
04-14-2004, 05:25 AM
Hi all.

Looking good folks.. great to see you here Gorie!

I think the trick to get the sky right is to use short, almost stabbing brush strokes with dry paint, and then maybe go over it with a soft blender of some sort. (not too much though).

Just wanted to stop by and see how everyone was doing. I myself have so much other projects going on now, so the man behind the apple will have to wait for a while. Maybe I'll paint some on him later today.

Cheers,

//matt

bjs0704
04-14-2004, 08:26 AM
It has been lots of fun!

I had been in a bit of a slump. - I was scared that I would mess up the piece that I had been working on. - I did this MOM. And now I have 3 more pieces lined up, in addition, to my original work. I feel great for it!

Biki - You could probably sketch out the next one, just to get an early start. Surely, someone would help, if you had any questions about what to do next? Anyway, half the thing about doing a copy is all of the time that you spend analyzing what was done in the original. That's where you learn.
I have always seen things in artwork that I had never noticed before.

Barb Solomon:cat:

loop
04-14-2004, 12:47 PM
bjs0704, that looks great , it looks to me like his head is fine mabey it's his hat that's small :D

Gorie , looking good so far, I don't know If I would consider working on THIS sky for an hour and a half a LONG time and from what I can make out it looks like the sky turned out splendid

BIKI.. like mike says... just do it :D we are all here to help out

Control Freak
04-15-2004, 10:06 AM
Hi All
I'm not a big fan of this MOM but it has been good to see the different interpretations.
Progress so far looking good - looking forward to see them develop more.
Dave: very quick and excellent results - congrats.
Phil

gorie
04-16-2004, 04:34 PM
heres an update, mostly just worked on the suit.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2004/35483-picture005.jpg

gorie
04-16-2004, 06:55 PM
a little more, hehe

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2004/35483-picture010.jpg

guillot
04-17-2004, 11:23 AM
WOW!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

You guys are doing outstanding!!!!! I haven't picked up a brush since the Friedrich :( or a pencil, or a piece of charcoal for that matter) . And I'm ready to REABSORB :) I've missed you guys. Looking forward to next months!!

TY Bernie :)

Tina

Matt Sammekull
04-17-2004, 11:41 AM
Hi Tina-sweetest-thing!!!!!!!

Good to see you here again.

You know as well as I do, that a break every now and then is good for you. One just have to "miss painting" every now and then, in order to feel passionate about it again.

Hugs, and anything else my fair lady desires ;)

//matt

loop
04-17-2004, 01:42 PM
Carey, that is looking great already, I'm glad you tried it !

this is the end of mine. lotsa glare :rolleyes:

I was thinking about giving it to the United way auction they are having at work Friday, but am unsure, I have never really shown any people my stuff ..in person :( if I do what should I put in for the "suggested price" arrea ??
it's 14"x17" and I was gonna build a basic mahogany frame
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2004/6307-great_war4a.jpg

artbabe21
04-17-2004, 01:54 PM
((Tina)) so good to see you back!! :) It will make painter all the sweeter for having been away from it for awhile!

I am SO enjoying all these MOMs.......this apple faced guy looks very much more real to me through all your eyes!! :D

dcorc
04-17-2004, 02:32 PM
Loop - yours has come out splendidly. Well done for the idea of donating it for charity - United Way (http://national.unitedway.org/aboutuw/) sounds like a very worthy cause! Get as much for it as you can, I say - as a minimum, I'd suggest, work out the cost of materials and the time spent on it, at an hourly rate similar to what you're currently earning, see what that comes out to? (If that ends up sounding high because you took forever :) or are on a vast salary :) , tell them "it's for charity!" :p )

Bernie - good block-in there and development of the sky, how's it coming?

Barb - looks good - also I'm pleased that it got you out of the slump, so that you've now got other things on the go too.

Gorie - great that you've joined us this month, and good rapid development there.

Matt - had a chance to get back to it yet?

Tina, Cathleen, Biki, TeAnne, Phil, Z - next month?

(Hope I haven't left anyone out!)

Dave

guillot
04-17-2004, 04:27 PM
Thanks Matt - you're pretty sweet yourself :) I just can't make my mind up now on WHAT I want to paint. :D

((Cathleen)) Thanks. It's good to be back. You doing next months??

Dave - most certainly and thanks :)

Loop - great job there!! Don't have any advice on a price for you though. Maybe someone else can give you a good ballpark area.

Tina

gorie
04-17-2004, 07:58 PM
thanks for the comments. loop, i am glad i tried it too ! it turned out better than i thought it would... :)

i think i am done now.. the leaves are terrible, but i think i give up :p other than that i am pretty happy with it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2004/35483-picture017.jpg

artbabe21
04-17-2004, 09:15 PM
Carey....terrific job!! :clap: Loop...wonderful work!! :clap:

Tina, yep...I gonna give it a try, that's for sure!:)

Matt Sammekull
04-18-2004, 05:31 PM
April 17 today... still a lot of time left! ;)

Good work everybody.. really good.

Dave... I have worked some on my version, but not much. Here it is:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2004/15549-06.jpg

//matt

IMNRTST
04-19-2004, 03:15 PM
Well, I finally did it...I just completed my first "real" painting" and i have to say it was a hell of alot of fun to do. Looking forward to the next MOM now. I just loved to lose myself in the painting process, next thing i knew, hours had passed and i found myself holding a bunch of brushes at once without realizing it. lol
Gessoed masonite board Approx 12"X14"
Here's my progression from start to end. All comments and suggestions welcome.
(also i don't know if these images will come out thumb nailed or not...hope they don't take too much space)
See yas =)
Mike A.

Matt Sammekull
04-20-2004, 08:54 AM
Well done Mike!

It's always a treat to see all the various stages an artist goes thru.

See you next month???

Cheers,

//matt

guillot
04-20-2004, 02:02 PM
Matt, Mike and Everyone - just absolutely stunning work!!!!! You guys are fab. Looking forward to getting back on track myself :)

Tina

artbabe21
04-20-2004, 02:45 PM
Terrific job, Mike, Matt!!

Well....next month "the Girl's are back in town" the Three Graces!! Woohoo! :D

Control Freak
04-20-2004, 03:40 PM
Hi Carey, Loop, Mike and Matt
This is good stuff to watch - great progress.

Dave: Not sure about next month - I've found some time tonight to work on the January MOM again! I will have to revive that thread soon!

Phil

IMNRTST
04-20-2004, 08:08 PM
I'm definately gonna attempt "The three graces" next month. Looks like a good learning experience, being much more difficult than the Magritte project.
I find myself having a hard time especially with the flesh hues though. Can someone state some of the colors that are commonly used to create this?
It's gonna help me tons for next month. :D
Mike A.

guillot
04-20-2004, 10:09 PM
Hi Mike A. Don't you worry - there will be plenty of suggestions to come!! I'm looking forward to it as well and we're all great about pulling together and sharing what we're learning along the way. A fantastic way to learn!!!

Tina

loop
04-21-2004, 08:49 AM
I'm definately gonna attempt "The three graces" next month. Looks like a good learning experience, being much more difficult than the Magritte project.
I find myself having a hard time especially with the flesh hues though. Can someone state some of the colors that are commonly used to create this?
It's gonna help me tons for next month. :D
Mike A.

their is a lot of ways to get to Rome :D .. take a look at January's MoM for one limited pallett example... yellow ochre, vermillion, black, and white

then compare to Feburary's where there were many layers of glazes and an expanded pallett.
I am still unsure if I will be doing the 3 babes .. it's kinda flat for my tastes, but..... lernin' is lernin'

Rosic
04-21-2004, 12:44 PM
Great work everybody! :clap:

Here's my latest update...
Worked on old apple face man's hat, vest and coat today.
I'll let this dry then tackle the rest. :)
Bernie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2004/17108-momapril5.JPG

Rosic
04-21-2004, 02:47 PM
Scratch that...
Here's the latest update.
What palette are you guys using for the greens of the apple?
Bernie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2004/17108-momapril6.JPG

IMNRTST
04-21-2004, 05:22 PM
[QUOTE=Rosic]Scratch that...
What palette are you guys using for the greens of the apple?
Bernie

I used mainly permanent green light, sap green and some ultramarine blue to darken. Mainly cause it's the only greens i had :D nice work btw!
see ya
Mike

bjs0704
04-21-2004, 06:25 PM
Mike, I found that when I just used yellow ochre that some of the greens came out really olive green. I know that some of the earth colors do vary from brand to brand. It does seem tempting to add a touch of cad yellow lt so that the colors are the same.

I tried to use the colors that Matt suggested in the beginning as far as I could I only added yellow for the grass and the apple.

What did everyone else do? Did you REALLY just use yellow ochre? :D

Control Freak
04-22-2004, 06:49 AM
Bernie
This is looking good - you have me waiting for more
Phil

Rosic
04-22-2004, 09:02 AM
Bernie
This is looking good - you have me waiting for more
Phil
Thanks Phil... since you've moved in are you going to be joining us next month? Hope so!

Mike and Barb... thanks for the info!

Hope to finish this one this weekend.
Bern

Matt Sammekull
04-23-2004, 10:33 AM
Bernie, - excellent work my friend!

//matt

guillot
04-23-2004, 02:00 PM
Great job Bernie!!!!! :clap: :clap:

Tina

artbabe21
04-23-2004, 02:10 PM
Bernie--Bravo! Ole apple face is lookin' mighty good! Are you ready for the gals next?

Rosic
04-23-2004, 05:07 PM
Bernie--Bravo! Ole apple face is lookin' mighty good! Are you ready for the gals next?
Thanks Cathleen, Tina and Matt...
Yep... looking forward to the gals!!!
Hoping they will include them in the May figure challenge so I can be a slacker :evil: and kill two birds with one stone... :D
Bernie

dcorc
04-23-2004, 08:10 PM
Carey - well done - it turned out great!

Matt - good to see yours coming along! Any more updates?

IMNRTST/Mike - Welcome! That's quite an entrance you've made there! One of your first oil paintings too?! Have you painted much in other media? It's impressively good! Your question about flesh hues - basic choices might include burnt sienna, yellow ochre, vermilion or cadmium red burnt umber, ivory black, and white - you can of course use all sorts of others too (including a green such as chromium oxide and a blue such as ultramarine for use in cooler shadowed areas) depending on skin colour and lighting, but they're a core set of colours you could use as a start for some flesh tones.

Bernie - good progress there! For the green of the apple I used chromium oxide, cadmium yellow and ultramarine.

I thought it was time for a change of avatar again - http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2004/30792-newavatar3.jpg - so that's me trying to be Mr Cool, aged 14, back in 1974! (Thought it might give you all a good laugh! :D )

Dave

loop
04-23-2004, 08:48 PM
should I feel "irritated" ?? My painting (in a basic wood frame) did not get ANY bids all day, right up until the end, then someone got it for $10. I mean geeze was it that bad... and this was for CHARITY :rolleyes: so much for my first "public showing" oh well ... I guess I just wanted to vent... :music:

dcorc
04-23-2004, 09:09 PM
should I feel "irritated" ?? My painting (in a basic wood frame) did not get ANY bids all day, right up until the end, then someone got it for $10. I mean geeze was it that bad... and this was for CHARITY :rolleyes: so much for my first "public showing" oh well ... I guess I just wanted to vent... :music:

You have every right to feel VERY irritated - it's disgusting, - not only how philistine they were, but also just how mean, given that it was for a worthy cause!

Non illigitimi carborundum, as they say.

Dave

Rosic
04-23-2004, 09:31 PM
You have every right to feel VERY irritated - it's disgusting, - not only how philistine they were, but also just how mean, given that it was for a worthy cause!

Non illigitimi carborundum, as they say.

Dave
HERE! HERE! I agree.
Don't be discouraged Loop... can't put a price on the fun/joy we have shared in this thread and project.
Bern

I thought it was great! :clap:

Rosic
04-23-2004, 09:36 PM
I thought it was time for a change of avatar again - http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2004/30792-newavatar3.jpg - so that's me trying to be Mr Cool, aged 14, back in 1974! (Thought it might give you all a good laugh! :D )
Dave
LOL!!! :D Dave... Here's one for you!
Me at age 13 also back in 1974...
Donny Osmond eat your heart out! :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2004/17108-me7thgrade.JPG

Anyone else care to top us? :D

artbabe21
04-24-2004, 12:46 AM
What COOL DUDES YOU TWO BE!!!!!! :D ;) :cool: :p :eek:

IMNRTST
04-24-2004, 01:01 AM
[QUOTE=dcorc]
- Welcome! That's quite an entrance you've made there! One of your first oil paintings too?! Have you painted much in other media?

hi Dave
Thx for the compliments and suggestions on flesh tones. I've never painted at all except for a few Bob Ross type landscapes in the past, but nothing really with a plan to follow. I've been drawing since i can remember and took some post secondary drawing classes, but that's about it. I'm glad you like my Magritte version, although i think it's not very "painterly" with everything blended and all i actually think it looks kinda "cartoonish" lol but i'm satisfied with it nonetheless.
now...looking forward and scared of "The three graces" next month lol They look tough to paint.
See ya =)

Rosic
04-25-2004, 05:09 PM
Hip-Hip-Hooray... I'm Finished! :clap:
On to the ladies next month! :D

What I learned from this month's project...
#1... First time I dabbed paint from the brush... I liked the results!
#2... Learning what colors work in shadow areas.
#3... Learning more about mixing colors in general.
#4... Learned that apples are harder to paint than they look. ;)

Bernie

(12x15 on masonite)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2004/17108-momapril7finished.JPG

Close-Up
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2004/17108-momapril7close.JPG

Matt Sammekull
04-29-2004, 01:19 PM
Hi.

Bern... that hair... - wow! Almost as impressive as your painting.

#2... Learning what colors work in shadow areas.

Just remember.. it all depends on the light you're working with.

#4... Learned that apples are harder to paint than they look.

- Yes Sir!!!

I just love your signature my friend!!

Hugs,

//matt

Oh... I might not complete mine before entering May...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2004/15549-apple_head.jpg

guillot
05-03-2004, 11:52 PM
Just releasing the sticky. Thread remains open for updates :D

You guys have all done so wonderful with this one !!

Tina