PDA

View Full Version : Chester kitty

Mumma4x
03-30-2004, 09:43 PM
This is my latest commissioned portrait. 9x12 on Strathmore smooth 80# paper. The picture of the portrait isn't the best since I had to do it with my digital camera. Hubby was using the computer with the scanner hooked up to it.... C&C welcome. I think I need to work on the paws a bit more. The lady who commissioned me requested that the right (to us) paw be smaller, so that's why that's different than the ref.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2004/36891-chester.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2004/36891-cat1.jpg

MKathleen
03-30-2004, 10:18 PM
I really like the pose and as you probably are aware the camera has made that (viewers rt) paw distorted in size. I wonder if your fur coloring might be a little warmer than the actual color of this kitty. Do you have another image for comparison? I think a little light pinky or violet color inside the ears might be nice. I think you have drawn the kitty pretty well maybe make the kitty's fur a little fluffier. Which you might not be that far along yet and do plan that very addition. Maybe pink-up the nose a little more. The eyes are really nice maybe a little greener than the image for nevertheless they are very life-like.
I think you have a very good start on this and with some more work it will be very nice. :)
Kathy

Mumma4x
03-31-2004, 12:25 AM
I really like the pose and as you probably are aware the camera has made that (viewers rt) paw distorted in size. I wonder if your fur coloring might be a little warmer than the actual color of this kitty. Do you have another image for comparison? I think a little light pinky or violet color inside the ears might be nice. I think you have drawn the kitty pretty well maybe make the kitty's fur a little fluffier. Which you might not be that far along yet and do plan that very addition. Maybe pink-up the nose a little more. The eyes are really nice maybe a little greener than the image for nevertheless they are very life-like.
I think you have a very good start on this and with some more work it will be very nice. :)
Kathy

Thank you so much, Kathy. I appreciate you taking the time to offer your C&C. I will definitely work on the things you mentioned. The coloring in the picture is a bit off since my digital camcorder doesn't have a flash, so I'll be sure to scan it in tomorrow when I post the update. Thanks again!

Dark_Shades
03-31-2004, 12:00 PM
Hello Michelle,.... what a lovely cat.... you have the markings done so well to ...... my only thoughts and suggestions are... that perhaps you could hint a little more defination and depth from under he's/her chin and to the left side of the body (viewers) .. looks a little flat..... pink up the nose a bit.... and just add some fluffy fur to the paws

Nice Job

Dyin
03-31-2004, 12:07 PM
I think maybe some blues mixed with the darker recessed areas would warm up the other areas even more and add a touch more depth to it, but will wait to see the better pic as I've a feeling it's much different!

Mumma4x
03-31-2004, 06:22 PM
Thanks Dyin & Dark... I'll be working on it some more tonight, so I'll try some blues, fluffing up the fur some more and pink to the nose. Thank you so much! In the mean time, here's the scan! (no changes done since the picture was taken last night, btw...just a better picture of it)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2004/36891-forkimberlee.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2004/36891-chester.jpg

Dyin
03-31-2004, 06:45 PM
ah, a much better pic! Another thought...on the forearm, if you treat that lighter area with the same colors you've used on the side of the head above it, it'll blend and flow better. And you could 'fluff' it up over the darker chest area a touch like you did the soft white over the other paw. Looks good and know this is going to be a corker when it's done!

Mumma4x
03-31-2004, 07:11 PM
ah, a much better pic! Another thought...on the forearm, if you treat that lighter area with the same colors you've used on the side of the head above it, it'll blend and flow better. And you could 'fluff' it up over the darker chest area a touch like you did the soft white over the other paw. Looks good and know this is going to be a corker when it's done!

You are so right! Thanks...

prestonsega
03-31-2004, 07:44 PM
Not sure if it is the color reproduction or my monitor ,,,etc. but my first response is the color of the foreground seems too brite and brilliant in contrast to the earthy tones of your subjects fur. You sure have captured a personality in this kitty's face....Makes me wonder what he's thinking....

Mumma4x
04-01-2004, 12:32 AM
Not sure if it is the color reproduction or my monitor ,,,etc. but my first response is the color of the foreground seems too brite and brilliant in contrast to the earthy tones of your subjects fur. You sure have captured a personality in this kitty's face....Makes me wonder what he's thinking....

Thank you, Preston. The scan makes the foreground look much brighter than it really is, unfortunately. It's more of a muted purple with a slight blue in the shadows, not the royal blue & bright purple that it looks like in the picture. I hate that about scanning! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I did some touchups, using the feedback & suggestions I got. What do you think now? C&C much, much appreciated! I'll include the first scan beside it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2004/36891-forkimberlee.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2004/36891-forkimberlee2.jpg

Dyin
04-01-2004, 12:39 AM
that's what i'm talkin about! Looks really soft and cuddly now, it really flows nicely and the owner will be tickled pink with this! Your ground color does sound better too.

Mumma4x
04-01-2004, 12:41 AM
that's what i'm talkin about! Looks really soft and cuddly now, it really flows nicely and the owner will be tickled pink with this! Your ground color does sound better too.

Thank you, Dyin! I love getting the C&C. It helps so much to see things you may not notice otherwise! I don't know what I ever did without WC! ROFL

Duende
04-01-2004, 02:01 AM
I like Chester's eyes Mumma! What made you decide to use a different color background, (just interested?) I agree, the colors are a bit warmer than in the photo and the white is not quite as white. There was a terrific piece on "handling fur", by one of our very advanced artists on the board the other day. He was advising someone who had painted a beautiful pastel portrait of a labrador .I think it was in the "Animal and wildlife" section. I am sorry to be so vague, but I haven't the time to look it up myself tonight. Anyway, you might "take a gander". Paddy

Duende
04-01-2004, 02:02 AM
Oh, I have just seen the "touch ups" and they have made the world of difference. Lovely! Paddy

MKathleen
04-01-2004, 02:26 AM
:clap: Such an improvement wonderful!

Mumma4x
04-01-2004, 11:31 AM
Thank you, Kathy & Paddy! :)