PDA

View Full Version : Feathers in Jewelry

Ignuss-Fatuus
03-30-2004, 03:03 PM
Ok I have some gourgeous feathers I really want to use in a jewelry piece however how to I go about attaching them! ? ! ? should I wire wrap a loop around the stem base and use E6000 to bond it or is there a better way? Should I use the loop crimps? Im really perplexed as I dont want it to be very noticible whatever I use. I want it to flow with the design. Thanks !
-karin

Barrie
03-30-2004, 04:44 PM
Hmm, since no one seems to be leaping into this one, I'll give it a try! I would probably use the loop crimps witha smidge of epoxy or E6000. The glues hold well with the feathers because they're so pourous. You could always cover whatever you use with a decorative fiber of some sort?
Of course, I'm looking at my macaw's 3 foot tail feather, trying to picture a piece of jewelry out of that, and all I can come up with is Las Vegas show girls and fan dances! :D

beclectic
03-30-2004, 04:55 PM
Hmm, since no one seems to be leaping into this one, I'll give it a try! I would probably use the loop crimps witha smidge of epoxy or E6000. The glues hold well with the feathers because they're so pourous. You could always cover whatever you use with a decorative fiber of some sort?
Of course, I'm looking at my macaw's 3 foot tail feather, trying to picture a piece of jewelry out of that, and all I can come up with is Las Vegas show girls and fan dances! :D

I have a headpiece I bought in the 70s that has feather ear pieces. The feathers are just wire wrapped with thin wire and then the wire extends up and attaches to the headband.

I'll try to get a picture of it and post it.

Some of the Macaw's smaller breast & head feathers are very colorful and very pretty in jewelry and fabric arts. I've seen pictures but I can't remember where.

So.... you have a Macaw. What do you do with the feathers when he/she molts? I'd be interested in some if you don't use them for anything and just throw them away. :D

Barrie
03-30-2004, 05:23 PM
LOL You want feathers?? I have feathers! :D Right now, I have 8 or 9 sticking straight up from the vent holes of my computer monitor! Not stylish, but great way to keep the cats out of them! Right now he's molting the big feathers, another couple of weeks and there will be belly and back feathers by the bucket load. We have a cockatoo as well, and she's just thrown a couple of her pretty yellow crest feathers, they have such a pretty curl to them!! Pm me your address and I'll see what I can come up with for you!! And let me know which ones you prefer. The smaller ones pack easily, but I'm sure I could figure out a way to send the big ones!
By the way, Bongo's tail feathers are mostly blue & green on one side and golden yellow on the underside. His belly is orange, his back is blue/green. Quite a handsome guy, but hates his picture taken! In this picture, he would dearly love to kill the camera!!!

Ignuss-Fatuus
03-30-2004, 05:52 PM
OOOO pretty! hehe rubs her chinny chin chin...hum ideas galore! what fantastic colors! hehe and if I ever get this piece made ill upload it and show you all as I think it will be pretty interesting ! I hope anyway! lol and I have an idea about those long tail feathers are they pretty bendy?
Karin

Barrie
03-30-2004, 06:03 PM
They're pretty bendy, you can take the tip and it will bend around to touch the base quite easily. My camera is charging and I'm on my way out the door, I'll try to get a pic tomorrow!

Ignuss-Fatuus
03-30-2004, 09:28 PM
ooooo now that brings ALLL kinds of ideas to me ;)

Charlee
03-31-2004, 12:23 AM
Oooh Barrie, Bongo is so pretty! Funny he doesn't like the camera. I've never been around birds much, so know less than nothing about them - other than I think they're pretty. :) There's a parrot at our vet's office. He's grey with some red bits. I love to be there when there's not a lot of people - he gets all wound up. He barks, meows, hisses, says Sit, stay" & "No! Bad dog!" rings like the phone and makes the squeak toy sound - among other things. :cool: Way cool bird.

Karin, now what in the world are you going to do with that big ol feather? Girl, you are such a freak - after my own heart. :evil: :D :evil:

Charlee

chuckie
03-31-2004, 06:03 PM
Funny you should ask... The DIY Network just started a show called "Jewelry Making." It comes on in my neck of the woods on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10:00 am and 3:00 pm both days. I just watched a show about feather jewelry. Here's a link to the web site:

http://www.diynet.com/diy/cr_jewelry/article/0,2025,DIY_13762_2731227,00.html

The instructions aren't that great, but you'll glean enough info to help you on your way. Here's a little filler info. If you look at Figure A, you'll see large orange-brown feathers on the right, some poka dotted feathers in the top left, and some skinny greyish cream ones in the center.

Figure B shows the feathers after they've been "peeled." Orange on bottom, the grey one in the middle (sticking out on the left side at the tip of the top feather), and the poka dot one on top. Just choose how much of the feather you want in your jewelry piece, grab the unwanted fluff, and peel it like a banana down the side and away from the stem. That's GS-Hypo Cement laying next to the sample piece.

Stack feathers according to your design and wire wrap them together. The photo doesn't show it well, but there's just enough of the feather stem wrapped with wire to keep them from falling out after trimming the wire.

Slide a bead over the wire with a hole large enough to hide the cut feather stems. Dab a bit of glue on the tip of the stems, then slide the bead into place. Use your wire to attach the feathers to your finished piece.

Char

beclectic
03-31-2004, 09:36 PM
Here are the pictures of the feathered pieces that I said I'd try to post. I did not make these. I am including pictures of the whole piece so you can see what was intended.

The first piece is a headpiece with feathered dangles coming down in front of the ears. The feathers are attached with thin wire and wrapped. I think the wrapping technique is not well done astheticly but the function is there. (The feathers are very old and damaged. I intend to replace them eventually.)

The second piece is a barette. I think the way the feathers are attached inside a long thin bead is very pleasing.

chuckie
04-01-2004, 12:48 AM
The photo doesn't show it well, but there's just enough of the feather stem wrapped with wire to keep them from falling out after trimming the wire.

Oops, I meant after trimming the feather stem, not the wire... You'll need the wire to connect the feathers to the finished piece. I need to quit sneaking WC "fixes" when I'm in a hurry to get dinner on the table!

Char