View Full Version : Red Sky At Night

pampe
03-30-2004, 02:32 PM
12 x 16 oil on Masonite panel

comments and critiques appeciated

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2004/4054-RED_SKY.jpg

shrinkinviolet
03-30-2004, 03:58 PM
I like your colors. But I think that it would have made a more dynamic composition if the ship were painted from a different angle. It also needs to be placed in front of one of the land masses. There is a real sense of lonliness in this piece. I like it.
Judy

VeldaJ
03-30-2004, 06:17 PM
This is a really tranquil piece, Pampe. Having been out on a small boat at night I can really empathise with this picture. I do agree with Judy though on the placing of the boat. I would have liked it to be just a little off centre.

james NW England
03-31-2004, 04:19 AM
It's like the Northern Lights!

Lovely colours!

JamieWG
03-31-2004, 08:01 AM
Love your colors, Pam! I agree with the others about the boat placement and angle. Also, the horizon isn't quite horizontal. (Maybe that's the photo though.)

Jamie

VeronikaB
03-31-2004, 09:28 AM
More off centre yes, but I think that it's good that the ship is against the sea, not the land, to me it suggests the distance ahead of the ship and the possibilities... I like the painting.

watercolorbill
04-01-2004, 03:42 AM
I like your oils Pam. Brilliant colors and brush strokes. keep them coming.

pampe
04-05-2004, 05:30 PM
thanks, Judy and Velda, yes, you are right

James...REALLY vibrant Aurora!

Jamie...it is the photo..thanks

thank you, Veronica and Bill

SouthernSun
04-05-2004, 05:42 PM
Pam, I like this a lot. Wonderful use of color. There is a lonliness about it. I like the placement and angle of the boat. Thought provoking.

zardoz
04-05-2004, 06:44 PM
beatiful colors like the contrasts but I 'm with the majority on the boat placement. I think it draws your eyes away from the rest of the painting and thats a shame because it is so well done

Marty C
04-07-2004, 11:57 PM
Hi Pam,
Well I love everything about this work - the rich, bold colour, your use of complements, the directional brushstrokes, the composition and also the boat heading into the light. A vibrant, exciting piece!

olliewood0702
04-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Oh Pam...this is GORGEOUS!! I just found this "Marine Art" section. WOW.. nice stuff here. :D :clap:

mairrca
04-09-2004, 08:41 PM
I know that off centre placement of the boat is ...how do I say...compositionally more correct? But I too like the boat where it is....I get a feeling of anticipation...the boat is set in position...ready to go into the light. And I love the colour of the water. A bright exciting painting. :clap:

katz
04-09-2004, 10:54 PM
Very nice luminous colors.

Gay

imlayte
04-11-2004, 10:06 PM
Hi there Pampe. You did say "critique" didn't you? smile. I like the rightside fore ground water. Nice color and it's as tho there is a mysterious upwelling, like maybe that wierd thing in Scotland is going to surface! The rightside headland is superb and its reflections in the water. It seems to me like the red should touch the water a little sooner out there on the horizon. The color of the boat gunwhale might be better if it reflected the sky red, but now it appears to be BS. And the shadow areas of the aft part of the boat would look great if they were modeled with the headland blue/greens. Let the intense light eat away at the mast a little more also. To satisfy the "boat placement people" you could chop 2 to 2.5 inches from the left side. Another reason for doing that is right now the midtone areas seem to equal the darktone areas and by cutting off some of the left side (mostly midtones) you would create an interesting imbalance in tones. Also, it would eliminate the left headland from competing with the right. All easy to accomplish except that danged decision- to chop or not to chop. lol.

BTW, I remember showing watercolours over in that forum with you last summer and your work taught me a lot as I stumbled around in the medium. lol. I'll be doing watercolours again this summer and hope to see you there. All the best.

Howard