PDA

View Full Version : glass sculpture / conference in NJ

Amozoo
03-30-2004, 01:09 PM
Something happened to me, which was very significant, by going to the international Flameworkers Conference at Salem Community College a few weeks ago. I've been miffed to explain what exactly happened to me. I know I'll never look at glass the way I used to again, but I don't know what that means. Something opened in my vision of glass to help me see glass a new way. Anyway, It's different seeing glass up close and personal. It was really fun watching Cesare Toffolo make that goblet and fun seeing all the artist working at their torches. The two slide presentations were most inspiring and helpful in giving me ways to begin to work in the sculptural realm. It was as if someone gave me permission. I've been very frightened of the torch, in a way. Maybe more frightened of failure. After the conference I began to say to myself, well, what CAN I make, not what do I want to be making already, but what am I able to make right now. About all I can do right now are very small bubbles, which I can shape into an idea of a jar, or into the shape of an idea of an ornament. So my task is to find a way to make what every I create beautiful in it's own right. Next I need to think of a way I can make money with the glass I am using to explore techniques and skills. I can't be a Cesare (right now) but I can be clever enough to find a way for glass to work for me as an income producing medium. When I left the conference I felt very optimistic about my ability to learn on my own at my speed and level. It also gave me something to look forward to, and that would be to study with teachers later, when it is right in my life.
below are my first two glass sculputers

DebbieSue
03-30-2004, 10:05 PM
I'm sorry I missed it. Everyone who has gone has had great things to say about it. Glad you enjoyed it. I'll have to try it next year........

Beautiful fish! :clap:

Debbie

Booger
03-31-2004, 09:18 PM
Once you give yourself permission?
The rest is fun. I am loving the first fish on the left. The way the upper lip (? is it called a lip on a fish?) beaks down is very realistic and you should be insanely proud of yourself.

Keep growing!
Clapping Wildly Booger Woman :clap: :clap: :clap:

mperaza
03-31-2004, 10:25 PM
I think your fish are great. I don't do any off mandrel sculpting, but I'm sure that just like the first round bead (and every technique that follows), they take practice, practice, practice. Keep going like you are and I'm sure you'll make money with your creations. Heck, in a month or so, we probably won't be able to afford your masterpieces!

Plato
03-31-2004, 11:39 PM
Inspiration :music:

Plato :)

Amozoo
04-01-2004, 11:10 PM
Ms Booger! Thanks so much, we must be related, my father used to call me his little booger. I bought a poster of the salt water fish just about exactly one year ago to refer to, in order to make real looking fish. I made about 4 of them, (soft glass) and then my Dad died. I must be recovering from the shock, here I am a year, to the month of that wild ride. Making fish again, finally, this time with boro. .......That hook mouth, actually was one of those wonderful mistakes!
Mp thanks, plato! and Debbie, thanks all for writing. Ain't glass grand?? Do you remember life before glass?