PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday 3/30 Show and Drool

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-30-2004, 12:11 PM
Ha-HA! I get to be the first one with a pic today! Whee!

Okey dokey, this was actually what I wanted to get done last night, but I must have angered the Bangle Gods, and alas, it wasn't finished until this morning.

Get on with it, I hear all you impatient gawkers. /wink

Today's Bangle is....................Savannah Safari!

The focal is actually a combo of three beads. The large barrel is a carved and batik'd bone bead, held up with a large Grecian donut, and on the opposing side of that is another bone bead from the Ivory Coast. We also have a large Bali bead and a few tribal Mud Bone beads from Kenya as well as some recycled glass from Java. (They always look like Butterscotch Lifesavers to me...lol)

Anyhoo...here's the pic! ~D.

DonnaBee
03-30-2004, 12:18 PM
That bangle is absolutely mouthwatering Danielle! :clap:

beclectic
03-30-2004, 01:29 PM
Very lovely. I don't even wear brown and I want it. :D

DonnaBee
03-30-2004, 01:41 PM
Now Danielle has inspired me to make something today. I am working on a bangle/cuff in gold, silver and pink. It's not cooperating! This one is making me suffer for it. Hopefully it will be done today... trying, trying...

Beads-Me!
03-30-2004, 02:03 PM
Lovely Danielle!

DonnaBee
03-30-2004, 03:32 PM
The gold/silver/pink one is still fighting me. I ended up making another neutral bangle to go with the one from yesterday. (The new one is on top, it has coiled guitar string in it!)

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-30-2004, 04:23 PM
Donna~

Guitar strings!! How very clever! I love it, it's very serene...just like your workspace. /wink

~D.

DonnaBee
03-30-2004, 04:33 PM
Serene.... that must be because it is so peaceful around here..... NOT (Spring break here :rolleyes:))

Someone asked in a PM about the guitar string, it's the "A" string, and it is sterling plated. I coiled it onto a 3/32" mandrel with my drill, just like I do with wire.

I am going to try the guitar string on a skinnier mandrel and see if it works.

artbabe21
03-30-2004, 07:24 PM
OK, Donna......here it is finally......the Bali bracelet that was in the Premiere issue of Belle Armoire.....it was so dang small I never even saw it. Somebody had to tell me it was there...LOL

Below it is the necklace I made also--I love putting the different beads together...:) Each one a work of art! This particular one I attach to the center ring on my antique silver English fob...thus the unusual ends.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2004/7568-Belle_Bali.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2004/7568-Bali_necklace-2.jpg

lisilk
03-30-2004, 07:48 PM
Beautiful bangles Danielle and Donna. Artbabe, those Bali beads are so gorgeous.

I have a bunch of work that needs to go in the steamer. Here are some already done.

I just finished a pink to purple version of the one on the far left that came out really pretty.

Li

( Thank you so much to all of you who have been so empathetic about my pup. )

artbabe21
03-30-2004, 08:13 PM
Please forgive me for not mentioning what beautiful works is in this thread!! I was so intent on uploading (I use the one under quick links as you can still see the images when you are replying to the thread for anyone who isn't familiar with it) the photos I FORGOT to include my praise for the work shown!! I still want to know how you do those rolled round bangles when you have time Donna....:)

Li....these scarves are quite beautiful! What do you do dye silk?:D

mjcall
03-30-2004, 08:17 PM
Danielle – I like it a lot, I think it would look good with camo. :)

Donna – They really work well together. Do you have a source for silver plated guitar string that you would share?

Cathleen – Those beads are spectacular, a beautiful collection beautifully presented.

Li – I love your work. I must confess to knowing next to nothing about fiber arts. Is it a resist and dye process?

M_

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-30-2004, 08:33 PM
With camo?!? Mike? Do explain that one. LOL.

Li, Gorgeous as always. I have a calender with a sun almost identical to yours.

Cathleen, I'm wondering how much that bracelet would cost if sold by the gram. /wink

~D.

lisilk
03-30-2004, 08:46 PM
Thank you for the kind words Cathleen, Mike, and Danielle.

Yes, they are hand painted silk scarves using protein reactive dyes and gutta resist, then steam set. I am working on an article for the Mixed Media forum but perhaps it belongs here too.

Danielle, I based that sun on a little carving on a box I bought in Bali. They make a gazillion of those things. LOL. Hope you are feeling better.

Thanks for sharing your work everyone.

Cheers,

Li

artbabe21
03-30-2004, 08:57 PM
Cathleen, I'm wondering how much that bracelet would cost if sold by the gram. /wink

I bought a TON of Bali silver from Rishashay which happens to be in Missoula,MT.......I bought with some friends and got a really good price...OK, I went overboard!! To justify mine, I thought oh, boy....I'll make a bunch & sell them on eBay....then I started painting again! But I bet silver was far cheaper then than now!! ;)

Thanks for the nice comments everyone! :)

DonnaBee
03-30-2004, 09:11 PM
Beautiful everyone! (And thank you very much for the kind words!)

(The sterling plated guitar strings, I had bought ten in the WC swap shop some time ago. But you can get them at any music store, and ebay.)

mjcall
03-30-2004, 09:15 PM
Danielle

Don’t you have a set of desert camouflage fatigues to wear with it?

M_ :evil:

Kerensamere
03-30-2004, 09:54 PM
lisilk -- What a beautiful sun! That's wonderful!!!

-Jen

DonnaBee
03-31-2004, 09:38 AM
I still want to know how you do those rolled round bangles when you have time Donna....

How to make wire coils: Here are about four ways to approach it. Coils can be used for bangle bracelets, and they can be cut into jump rings.

This tool can be picked up at most crafts store for about seven dollars, rather than the fifteen dollars on website:

http://www.coilinggizmo.com/index.html

A great little book packed with jewelry making info, teaches how to make wire coils, also how to saw jump rings from them. Also chain making and wire crochet: (I have seen this book in the craft stores and also my local library)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...440619?v=glance

Jatayu!

http://www.conniefox.com/Education/WireSkills/Coils.htm

Here are two threads where I wrote about how I have been making wire coils for my bangle cuffs that have 12 gauge, 2mm base: (I sort of use a combination of all the above resources to get the specific size I need, which is a coil with a 2mm interior diameter) If you scroll down and read all my different posts, then you will see how I have been doing it:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/sho...797#post2175797

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174594

(I've also put this info into Misty's sticky thread: Suppliers, Books, Helpful Links - here in Wearable Art)

Thanks again everyone for the great words about my pieces, I really appreciate it!

Thanks everyone who posted the beautiful wearable art in today's thread.... :clap:

artbabe21
03-31-2004, 10:08 AM
Thanks Donna!! I also appreciated your PM...you're a sweetie! :) Always learning something new!
You might want to list these links in the thread Sassybird has going right now
for the tutorial links...or was it to PM them to her? :)

DonnaBee
03-31-2004, 02:07 PM
You are welcome Cathleen, I am touched that you are interested in the technique after seeing my creations! :) See ya in Belle Armoir, my friend! ;) :D

Viscioussl
04-30-2004, 03:49 PM
(The new one is on top, it has coiled guitar string in it!)

Are you Serious? Guitar String? I have been watching my husband throw them away for YEARS! I know that they can sometimes rust, has this ever happened to you? :clap: *Happy* to hear something new & cool to me!