PDA

View Full Version : PAINTED BEADS - Thread Hoggie -

dread
03-30-2004, 07:15 AM
Well I finally started getting some of the ideas in my head onto glass
Sunday I used Reusche E-401 Tracing black with squeegee oil and stamped images onto effetre 104 sheet glass - for now - this is the fastest and easiest I could find to get an image onto the glass without spending the time to hand paint and be disappointed in the application - this was a test sampling only but I think they turned out well
After stamping - fired to cure the black and then cooled and applied the Paradise Paints and fired one more time - cut into managable pieces for application
Put pieces in my annealer and turned on - so pieces are now in the 950 range to apply
Bead 1 - Sheep - used tweezers - glass broke but still applied
Bead 2 - Rabbit - used tweezers - glass broke but still applied
At this point figured I cant use tweezers
Bead 3 Thin face bead - heated base bead and just stuck it into kiln and stuck it to glass - brought out applied to flame and it didnt crack - voila
So I just kept making
My biggest problem is that the large beads - cracked - not to disappointing - would want them to do this during test run - I just did not heat them enought on application - so next run will be different - I did get a couple that were OK and I'll wear

So here they are

toozygoot
03-30-2004, 07:29 AM
Deborah! Those are just wonderful! What a process to go through to get there! Do you by any chance know if that's how Bronwein Heilman (sp.?) does hers. I have ogled and fondled one that she did that looked like a bistro scene and it was utterly fascinating. Never really thought of how she acheived it tho'. I sure would love to see yours in person! At the Gathering maybe?!?!?

pat

sgraphics
03-30-2004, 07:37 AM
Deborah, so cool - the ladies remind me of Art Deco!

dread
03-30-2004, 08:02 AM
Thanks to leslie V in an earlier thread I started about paradise paints - she gave me heads up that Bronwyn paints on the FLAT glass and then applies - seems weird but makes it so much easier

Yes it is a DECO stamp I have - I am using stamps at this time as its faster to create and right now I am more concerned with technique of application of paint and then application of painted piece to glass bead.

I will eventually paint and screen my own stuff on the glass but for now these are testers to get better at application - next run is to make sure they dont crack like some in the first run - PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

Its not all that hard to do !

LLane
03-30-2004, 08:35 AM
Deb..... great job and thanks for sharing the process and pics!!!

I'll be looking forward to future successes!

Peace,
Lois

greatfindsct
03-30-2004, 08:45 AM
Deb, those are great! I'm glad you finally got your ideas onto the glass :clap: They're so unique! I'm sure that you'll do awesome with selling them :) Great job!

McDuck
03-30-2004, 09:09 AM
Great beads Deborah! What a talent you have!!! :clap: Are you going to B&B to sell??? I love the one with the flowers, very dainty. - Mary

DebbieSue
03-30-2004, 09:59 AM
Really cool looking beads! Great job. :clap:

Debbie

KetchikanSculptor
03-30-2004, 12:24 PM
Well I finally started getting some of the ideas in my head onto glass
Sunday I used Reusche E-401 Tracing black with squeegee oil and stamped images onto effetre 104 sheet glass - for now - this is the fastest and easiest I could find to get an image onto the glass without spending the time to hand paint and be disappointed in the application - this was a test sampling only but I think they turned out well
After stamping - fired to cure the black and then cooled and applied the Paradise Paints and fired one more time - cut into managable pieces for application
Put pieces in my annealer and turned on - so pieces are now in the 950 range to apply
Bead 1 - Sheep - used tweezers - glass broke but still applied
Bead 2 - Rabbit - used tweezers - glass broke but still applied
At this point figured I cant use tweezers
Bead 3 Thin face bead - heated base bead and just stuck it into kiln and stuck it to glass - brought out applied to flame and it didnt crack - voila
So I just kept making
My biggest problem is that the large beads - cracked - not to disappointing - would want them to do this during test run - I just did not heat them enought on application - so next run will be different - I did get a couple that were OK and I'll wear

So here they are

I LOVE those beads!!!!!

dread
03-30-2004, 12:52 PM
Thank you all for your support and kind words -- I'm sitting here staring at my screen (I put the group pic as my background for today) and realized I should call the group head shot my nose picking series - The original stamp is a group of heads and you dont notice where her finger is !

I got the effetre 104 1/4 sheet clear from Frantz
You can get Reusche from Reusche or delphi glass and I got my squeegee oil from Thompson Enamels.(Mix reusche tracing black with squeegee oil to make a thick paste) Just use stamps (with lots of space and lines) or paint with the mixture right onto the glass for the black outline. I use a roller to apply to stamps (some I stamped into the paint - daisies like a stamp pad)

I fire the E401 Reusche at 1325 then cool - then paint colors and fire the Paradise paints at 1325 (to be consistent) there is a range - and probably dont have to go that high just to make paint adhere as your going to fire in the flame.

Attaching to the bead on a mandrel:
Place in cold kiln - fire up your kiln to working temps (about 950 for effetre)
I found face up ( painted side up) in the kiln and heat your base bead hot enough so it will stick when you place on your painted piece - once attached - quickly into the end of the flame and warm up to temp so it wont crack - seemed to work like a dream last night. Also I found make the base bead just slightly smaller than the piece of painted glass - then the ends will be better not lumpy or thick.

If you make the painted item larger than base bead - just heat up unwanted part and cut with glass shears - works great to take off extra - especially when you dont align it right - (been there)

Glass painting classes are starting to pay off !!!

LoriGreenberg-Beadnerd
03-30-2004, 12:53 PM
I just love those beads and the style too. I'm sad that I don't enjoy painting but it's probably better...I don't need more techniques to be working on! I will live vicariously through you!

wildfirelauri
03-30-2004, 02:27 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2004/10074-nod.gif very well done.

MM Art Glass
03-30-2004, 03:38 PM
So the painted surface ends up being applied to the bead face-down, and when it's finished, you see it (the painted part) through the clear glass?

Very nicely done! :D

CorvetteJuliet
03-30-2004, 04:04 PM
Oh Wow! Those are amazing. I'm just awed at the involved process - but it worked! Those are so neat. The repeatability is really a stark contrast to the usual variations seen in sets posted here. Your beads really do stand out on their own because of that. Yet they still are totally handcrafted. Very neat contrast indeed. :clap: Kudos for figuring that all out and posting about it. I'll be watching to see where the technique takes you. :) ~Juliet

Booger
03-30-2004, 07:51 PM
OH MY OH MY OH MY OH MY!!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I am sorry......I can't post anymore.............Hyperventilating...........THOSE ARE SO DROP DEAD AMAZING AND WONDERFUL AND ORIGINAL AND ASTOUNDING AND I LOVE THEM!!!!

Great Work!
Running for a paper bag.......
gasp............gasp........booger

Lehcar
03-30-2004, 08:06 PM
Those are amazing!!!

snootyvixen
03-30-2004, 08:25 PM
FANTASTIC beads!!!

I was just reading the latest BeadWork magazine with a tutorial on using the new Thompson Enamel pens to "paint" on beads, but your beads (excuse my French) sh*t all over the BeadWork tutorial examples! Of course, the technique is different. but my jaw just dropped to the floor when I saw yours!

Vikki

sadiesjewels
03-30-2004, 08:51 PM
Those are just spectacular ... totally wonderful!!!

I've been pondering Heilwen's beads for some time too ... it's such a different way to decorate a bead - but of course my own very meager bead making skills are still not quite up to snuff to be off experimenting with other ways of decorating. You have really done the job well ... they just look great to me!

You've also been so generous with the information on how to do it ... I think that really pushes peoples knowledge forward a lot ... so thank you too ...

Just wonderful ...

sadie

latitude40
03-31-2004, 09:51 AM
Deb, they look stupendous! Bravo! :clap: LOL at the nose picking...that's the first thing I thought too!!
I'd love to see them in person...can you bring one or two to Stevi's class, pretty please?
What kind of oil is squeegee oil? I'm picturing something like plate oil that is used in lithography printmaking?

Karen

dread
03-31-2004, 12:55 PM
Squeegee oil was originally for screening (which I will be doing this weekend) in mixing the powder tracing paints - you can use others such as clove, or lavender oils - there is such a range - the squeegee does not smell and when it burns off is not so smelly or create a lot of smoke when fired.

Yes I will bring to class to show- probably new ones two

I am screening stuff this weekend for next weeks work to see how that turns out - as well as some hand painted ones I want to work on.

It really is not that hard - you can use stamps if painting challenged and using the colors is like using a coloring book - fill in the lines.
Yes you work cold to get the black on first and then cold to paint the colors but once that is done you cut and then you do your lampworking - so you could do an awful lot of cold work first and accumulate so that when you sit down you can work on applying

If anyone is interested and wants to try - just pm me and I will walk you through it - I plan on putting all of this down on paper and then I can e-mail you the directions - Dreads Step-by-Step

Plato
03-31-2004, 08:53 PM
Very,very nice ;) I love the way you took bits and pieces of information and ran with it :) Here`s a link that may be helpful (or at least interesting :p )

http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/glos-bit.htm#AUSROL

Plato (wondering if you could do your pickup when you fire the Paradise Paints and save a step ;) ) :) :)

Emilymay
03-05-2014, 02:56 PM
are you going to post a tutorial on here about it as Im in australia and cant get to one of bronweins classes mores the pity as I love her beads and you have nailed it they are so gorgeous and I was just wondering are you laying the bead out onto a hot piece of glass in the kiln to get your image onto the bead? If so thats rather awesome :)

Emilymay
03-05-2014, 02:58 PM
Deborah I have just been onto your site you are doing it as well your colours of the paints are fantastic how are you doing this you creative genius.

Hold that thought I just found your tutorial Your awesome I shall give this a try and put up some photos when Im done. Cant thank you enough...:clap:

jjwiskus
06-27-2014, 11:53 AM
Here are some that I have done. I will also be at the Gathering next month and have them for sale. jeri

Pighead
11-19-2014, 11:57 AM
looks good ,I like the rabbit the best . Keep up the good work. On the 2nd set of bead with is the painting of? Looks like a helicopter?:wave::cat: