PDA

View Full Version : I've ruined my painting. Can you help me rescue it?

zombeezee
03-30-2004, 03:05 AM
Im very new to oil painting and painting all together. this is my second painting Ive don in an attameot to egt used to using brushes etc.
I've tried to paint this seascape - following some lessons I learnt from a seascape painter book by a geezer called Robinson. I was very happy last night with the upper half of the painting (the breaking wave and sky) but have just ruined it with the foreground sea. The lines of pale colour look terrible (In the darker waves at the front-sticking out like very sore thumbs)
I thought maybe my first ever attempt at glazing (over this with a dark blue similar to the base) might make the lines more subtle. Or is there something else I could try?

Thanks

zombeezee
03-30-2004, 03:31 AM
NB 1 of the boys in oils suggested I might post it here for help. Sorry to those who have suffered it in the oils forum. Its a 20x16 oil on board. Ta

zombeezee
03-30-2004, 03:36 AM
Stupidly forgot to put n the pic

VeldaJ
03-30-2004, 03:37 AM
Sorry, Zombeezee but there's no picture showing. Perhaps you could try uploading it again.

CarolChretien
03-30-2004, 07:51 AM
I am not a "marine" artist but when I paint water I usually have a range of hues. I paint in layers, you can use some opaque glazes to cover your lines.
I think introducing some blue greens might help, in layers, but I find it difficult to give someone else advice.

do you have a reference pic that you can post?

I like the way you are painting this piece and with oils you have so much time to add and subtract...try not to think of "ruining a painting"...approach it boldly and try out different things. You can always wipe out and start again.
That is the beauty of oils :D

If all else fails, you can use it as a "study" for the next one.
I have done this and have not looked back. It takes the fear out of painting for me.
:)

VeldaJ
03-30-2004, 10:58 AM
Well, now you've got the picture in, Zombeezee, I really can't see what the problem is! As a limited palette study with only the rocks to break the colour and provide a focal point, I think you've made a good job on the waves.

If I was going to change anything it would be to get more white into the foreground surf and its' residual wave. Having already put a lot of white water into the middle ground it perhaps needs more white in the foreground to balance.

shrinkinviolet
03-30-2004, 03:33 PM
I too think that the painting needs a little more color. Glazing some green in would be good. I was also taught that nothing in nature is pure white. There is always some color if only a very light value. This is why it is so hard to work from pictures especially for a beginner. Some of the subtle colors are lost.
Your painting is really a nice one with a lot of potential. You obviously have alot of talent.
Judy

james NW England
03-31-2004, 02:13 AM
It is definately not ruined for a start! I like it anyway, but if you're not happy with the foreground then you can still do something about it. Someone else mentioned adding green. I think that would be a good choice for overpainting the foreground 'light' areas.

Stay positive!

zombeezee
03-31-2004, 04:38 AM
Thanks for the kind comments and useful suggestions. Who needs to go to art classes when there is wetcanvas.
People who have seen my piccy in the flesh have suggested green as well. I dont know how to begin adding a new colour at this stage in the game.
Glazing is the key it seems.Never done it before
So I simply put a small dab of green paint into a big blob of 'liquin detail' and rub it all over the foreground. Is that about right for doing it?

james NW England
03-31-2004, 04:45 AM
You want to take the blue that you have already used and add some yellow to make the green. This will keep the colours harmonious.

Try applying a little at a time and see if you like the results. You are basically talking about adding highlights to what is already there.

Hope this is helpful.

Marty C
04-07-2004, 10:37 PM
Hi zombeezee,
This is not ruined at all. I have done a few seascapes using a limited palette, some with just three hues of blue.
For this however, if you are trying for realism, you should introduce more greens and even browns to suggest reflected rock and reef bottom. The movement you have here, and the compostion, is very good. All that is needed is some additional colour. I work only in acrylic so can't advise from an oil point of view. Acrylic is easy - if you make a mistake, just paint over it!

mairrca
04-09-2004, 09:29 PM
I think this is a beautiful painting...not ruined at all. Will you post again if you make some changes? I would like to see what you did.