PDA

View Full Version : Opal Experiment

wonderwoman
03-29-2004, 02:17 PM
Here are the pics of my attempt to replicate opal, from the thread I posted last week in the technical forum:
The first shows the evolution and various styles that resulted from 2 days without sleep, they're in reasonable chronological order except for the 5 on the extreme right; they belong immediately following the multicolored ones.
The other pictures are closeups of certain sets. The glittery ones are a hand-mixed color that is more opaque that transparent, but much more translucent than opalino. The colors came from other hand-mixed scraps I had laying around. The glitter is dichro, but the pic doesn't capture the green and gold at all.
Currently, I'm slaving over yet another soon-to-be FAG.

--Dianna

meh2purple
03-29-2004, 03:19 PM
Omigosh!!!...they are just luscious!!

I love opals too! Great job!!

Mary

wonderwoman
03-29-2004, 03:35 PM
Really? I thought they were just 'okay'... maybe my expectations are unreasonable.

But thanks for the compliment!

--Dianna

Smedstad
03-29-2004, 04:28 PM
Has anyone tried the opalescent or irridized stained glass for this? Does it burn off?

Have you tried the mother of pearl glasses?

Debbie

!Karen
03-29-2004, 04:30 PM
Has anyone tried the opalescent or irridized stained glass for this? Does it burn off?

Debbie

Those are very nice! I think you're doing great. I have tried the iridized stained glass, poof...gone in the flame. Maybe I was working too hot?

Where do you get mother of pearl glass?? Sounds yummy!

Thanks,
:)Karen

DebbieSue
03-29-2004, 05:15 PM
I especially like the pink ones in the center photo. :)

CRLoo carries the mother-of-pearl, but doesn't always have all the colors available. http://www.crloo.com/Products/products.html They come in rod or cane.

Debbie

wonderwoman
03-29-2004, 06:50 PM
Thanks, everyone! I was trying to get that iridized effect by manipulating the glass, but hey, you can't have everything...
I recently read on the System96 website about a product called Hi-Fire Iridescent (http://www.system96.com/Pages/WhatsNew.html) (link) and you supposedly can fuse with it coating side up, down, sandwiched between layers, over and over again without losing the iridescence. It's availble with either black or clear as a base. Anyone brave enough to try it with the torch?

!Karen
03-29-2004, 06:54 PM
Thanks, everyone! I was trying to get that iridized effect by manipulating the glass, but hey, you can't have everything...
I recently read on the System96 website about a product called Hi-Fire Iridescent (http://www.system96.com/Pages/WhatsNew.html) (link) and you supposedly can fuse with it coating side up, down, sandwiched between layers, over and over again without losing the iridescence. It's availble with either black or clear as a base. Anyone brave enough to try it with the torch?

Where do you get the Hi-Fire glass? I'd try some. Was it on that web site you linked too? I only looked at the page and didn't dig around, so I'll go back and look now. I would love to find an iridized glass. I have a feeling the flames going to burn it off though.

Karen

Thanks for the info on MOP glass, I'm going to try some of that too!

wonderwoman
03-29-2004, 07:01 PM
Anyplace that sells stained glass should have it, make sure to ask for system96 hi-fire iridescent. Maybe someone has a scrap to sell for a couple of bucks... nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? I'd go get some myself, but I live in a one-horse town...

--Dianna

!Karen
03-29-2004, 07:20 PM
Well I live in a two horse town, one horse to ride, and one to pull the cart that holds the manure.

That's why I order online for the most part, unless I feel the need for speed, then I drive into a real town and shop.

I'll check with my stained glass store, over in the next .5 horse town (They're saving up for the whole horse).

Man, do I miss living where there is stuff! I hate driving and I hate leaving the house.

I'll call him tomorrow, but I don't hold out much hope. He doesn't carry a very wide variety of glass.

Karen:)

wonderwoman
03-29-2004, 07:39 PM
Maybe your guy and my guy are the same guy! LOL! Maybe they rent him out between horses!

KetchikanSculptor
03-29-2004, 10:26 PM
Fire opals are my favorite of all opals. The one with the pink next to the blue in the first picture looks really great to me!

mothergoose
03-29-2004, 11:22 PM
It does burn off but it leaves a wondrful wispy look in the bead. I love working with Spectrum glass it always has so much depth.

Your beads are great too! I really loved the pastel ones!
Great job!!

Kim

Debbie

Wojobeada
03-30-2004, 09:24 AM
Wow, Dianna, you've gotten some great results!
Have you tried mixing opaque white with transparents? I used white, clear and med. transp. blue and got a nice milky looking rod but the milky effect disappears when it's made into a bead.
Also a mix of the light trans. pink and white yields the same nice quality, which again disappears when it counts most. There's got to be a way to keep that translucence but I haven't figured it out yet!

I would love to mail you the experiment samples if you'd send me your address. I haven't been able to borrow a camera so I just spent a little time this weekend messing around...

MALA
08-07-2004, 07:32 PM
Love your opal sets Dianna
I have made a set up but on a black base.
The black really shows off the opal.

Ignuss-Fatuus
08-08-2004, 09:55 AM
If you can get your hands on some of that white translucent from vetrofond it looks almost like milk glass..I think coupling that with some dichro would really well mimic opal....I dont have any to try out myself but I would sure run to the torc to try if I did :) I keep oggling it but I thought they were out of stock ....

quill
08-08-2004, 10:07 AM
I recently read on the System96 website about a product called Hi-Fire Iridescent (link) and you supposedly can fuse with it coating side up, down, sandwiched between layers, over and over again without losing the iridescence. It's availble with either black or clear as a base.

Unfortunately, the coating won't hold up in the flame, only in the kiln. Spectrum's old irrid used to burn off in the kiln if you used it facing up, this one is tougher, similar to Bullseye & Uroboros irrids but not tough enough for torching.

If you want to try a really nice transluscent white, Kokomo makes one that works really well in the flame. It is sheet glass so you will need to cut it in strips.

Good luck with your opals!

StefaniBeads
08-09-2004, 12:20 PM
If you can get your hands on some of that white translucent from vetrofond it looks almost like milk glass..I think coupling that with some dichro would really well mimic opal....I dont have any to try out myself but I would sure run to the torc to try if I did :) I keep oggling it but I thought they were out of stock ....

This sounds like it would work! Is there such thing as 96 COE dichro?? If there is maybe you could try this: Uroboros white is already sort of translucent like milk glass, so you could mix it with some clear and get even more translucency. Make a core of the mixed color, then a little dichro, and encase with the mix. The dichro should show and that would be so cool!

Maybe I'm dreaming, but then if there is 96 COE dichro, then maybe I'm not! ;) :D

Ignuss-Fatuus
08-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Yep you can get dichro for pretty much any glass you want any more from COE 30/33 for boro to coe 88 for float glass, Coe 90 for bullseye to COE 96 for the system 96 stuff to coe 114 for moretti ;) just have to look into it and try to find someone who sells what you want :) but search for System 96 dichroic. That should help you find it. I think perhaps Delphi in Michigan sells it but not positive.

paskon
08-10-2004, 02:19 PM

Karen, I just got some from Frantz yesterday. Hopefully they still have some! It is very pretty. I haven't had time to try it yet...darn this job thing!

-Patti

wonderwoman
08-10-2004, 07:58 PM
Here are some additional Moretti results; they were created over the past few months, so I'm going to have to put on my thinking cap to remember the ingredients...

In my humble opinion, the bottom-left bead looks most like an opal... but then again, I haven't actually seen an opal in real life...

mperaza
08-10-2004, 10:43 PM
Pan posted this image the other day in a post called "Dichro Show & Tell"
I hope I'm not overstepping my boundaries by posting this picture without permission.

This image looks to me just like a very expensive opal. (not the dichro designs on the bead, but the layer just under the designs - the part that's etched).

Marilyn

NYCindy
08-11-2004, 06:48 AM
Dianna -

I love the opal look! It's a really nice effect you're getting with the dichro there. It uses the shimmery quality of the dichro without overpowering the bead. Don't forget to enter those beads into the new bead challenge on GemFox's site!

The Effetre/Moretti had/has some white out that is very translucent, looks just like the Uroboros 96 white. I ordered some of the Effetre/Moretti from Colored Sands a few months ago, they may still have the white. I ordered plain old white and got this lovely translucent milky glass!

Please post the combinations you've used in each bead. I tend to like the white cored beads the most - I think it mimicks the opal the best.

Thanks for sharing!
Cindy

Here are some additional Moretti results; they were created over the past few months, so I'm going to have to put on my thinking cap to remember the ingredients...

In my humble opinion, the bottom-left bead looks most like an opal... but then again, I haven't actually seen an opal in real life...

wonderwoman
08-11-2004, 03:27 PM
What is this translucent white Moretti I've been hearing about? Is there a specific name/number for it, or is it an odd-lot white? Details, details...

Speaking of details, not one of the beads in my previous post had a white core. The one that has the whitish opal thingy had ivory as a base dot, to which black was applied so the dichro would stand out. The milky effect was achieved with a stringer of hand-mixed color-- and I cannot remember what glasses I used to make it! I efforted a few different combos, but nothing yet.

Top-left bead: Moretti clear core, dk aqua case, red dichro, clear case.
Top-right bead: Moretti clear core, purple dichro, clear case.
Bottom-left: Moretti black core, pink dichro, clear case.

The other bead... I'm going to have to look at it up close to remember what I put in it... I'll post the results in a bit.

Listenup
08-11-2004, 04:56 PM
I haven't actually seen an opal in real life...

Oh my gosh, an Opal Virgin? :D

I just ran downstairs and did a quick scan of one of mine. This is white opal on black onyx (and is the only opal cameo I've ever seen):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2004/35044-opal.jpg

The scanner did a nice job of bringing out the colors in the fire. I too have been interested in trying to re-create the look of opal with glass but haven't had much time to work on it. You've gotten way farther than I ever have. For some reason I hadn't thought to put it on a black base. I'll try when I next have time to work on this effect (will be a couple of weeks). Anybody have anything else to show? Mine haven't turned out good enough to show yet, but I'm getting lots of nifty ideas now to try out.

-Kay

Ignuss-Fatuus
08-12-2004, 05:16 AM
What is this translucent white Moretti I've been hearing about? Is there a specific name/number for it, or is it an odd-lot white? Details, details...

The White Translucent almost milk glass color is an odd lot Vetrofond color that Frantz Art Glass has or did have not sure if they still have it in stock or not. When you said opal look i immediately though of white but if you want it in black you can try this....

Make make core bead of black get some multi colored dichroic frit
roll bead in frit and enase immediately very cooly you still will probally burn some of the coating off but I think that will give you the closest look to a black opal possibly even encase with grey translucent might make it look evenmore opaly like,....

NYCindy
08-12-2004, 07:06 AM
Hi Dianna,

I'm sure I ordered plain old Effetre/Moretti white from Colored Sands (Indiana - US) and got the translucent white - I believe Karin when she says it's Vetrofond - I think there is an odd lot of Effetre/Moretti out there too. It's not the Anise white but the regular old white.

I'd post a picture but I don't think that the picture can show the difference - it's very slight. If you hold both rods up to the light, the regular white is "thicker" - the light doesn't show through whereas with the translucent white, the light shows through.

Cindy

Ignuss-Fatuus
08-12-2004, 09:27 AM
Hi Dianna,

I'm sure I ordered plain old Effetre/Moretti white from Colored Sands (Indiana - US) and got the translucent white - I believe Karin when she says it's Vetrofond - I think there is an odd lot of Effetre/Moretti out there too. It's not the Anise white but the regular old white.

I'd post a picture but I don't think that the picture can show the difference - it's very slight. If you hold both rods up to the light, the regular white is "thicker" - the light doesn't show through whereas with the translucent white, the light shows through.

Cindy

Hi Cindy
I work right by colored sands so I can run down there and see what he has. I didnt see anything like it when i was there on tues but that doesnt mean it wasnt there... It could have been they pulled opalino white which is kinda translucent but not NEARLY like the white milkglass color frantz has