PDA

View Full Version : Monday show 'n tell

happylsds
03-29-2004, 10:32 AM
I love this new forum! I am just starting to make jewelry from my beads and this is a great source of inspiration!

I just returned from a trip to Hawaii, and I made this for that trip. Of course, I made the beads before I shopped for clothes - lucky for me mint green is "in" this spring. I found the perfect clothes to match!

SuzyQ
03-29-2004, 10:52 AM
It's lovely! Not bad for just beginning. You did a very nice job with the design and the color comination is so yummy!

DonnaBee
03-29-2004, 12:16 PM
Hi Laura! So great to see you here! :) That necklace is spectacular! You are off to a running start.

I made a simple bangle last night from glass beads by ebay's glassjungle.

glitterbead
03-29-2004, 12:33 PM
Laura - LOVE the colors in your necklace, especially the lampwork!!!

Donna - that bracelet is SO elegant in it's simplicity, and the bead colors suit the design - again VERY elegant!!!!!

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-29-2004, 01:54 PM
/puff, puff...

I'm working away on a bangle for today's show and tell, but I have to get Ian to the doctor at 3, (doesn't it figure he's sick now too??) so hopefully I'll get it up for viewing this evening!

/puff puff

. o O (Must keep up with Donna and her bangle making frenzy!) :D

/dashes off with Kleenex box in tow...

~Danielle

jennakate
03-29-2004, 01:58 PM
ok, i finally scanned some pics of some of my work... no digital cam yet! here's some basic stuff using some of my (beginner) lampwork beads and a seed bead piece. these aren't *new* new, but things take a little longer with no digital cam! (let's see if it works... i don't post much....)
jenna kate

happylsds
03-29-2004, 02:23 PM
Thanks for all your kind words!

Donna - Your braceletis stunning! I love the way the wirework complements the beads!

Danielle - My DH and DS were both sick last week - you have my sympathy! :rolleyes:

Jenna Kate - Lovely pieces! I especially like the bright bracelet. I think we had such a nasty winter that I am really craving color now!

LLane
03-29-2004, 02:31 PM
Fun stuff today all!!! I like seeing things in the colors that I don't use often... it helps me visualize better..... I get pretty stuck on the purples and neutrals.... and anything with the light grass green! :D

I haven't taken new pics for awhile..... so here is one I came across that looks like spring!! Complex cane and some sliding disks!
Peace,
Lois

DonnaBee
03-29-2004, 03:14 PM
Lee, thank you so much for that.

Danielle, sorry to hear that Ian is sick now! Ugh!
I certainly know how that is... But the good thing is that he
is building up his immunities now. That pays off later, I truly believe that.

Hi Jenna, I am thrilled to see you posting here!
I love the bracelet in the box, and they are all really
nice.

Thank you Laura!

Hi Lois! I too love the light grass green... LOVE it. Also I love your sig line and think of that often, for weeks now, don't think I told you that yet! :)

I appreciate the feedback on my bracelet, very, very much. It means the world to me. This bracelet was born because I said yes to me last night. What does that mean? It means that my heart wanted to be two places at one time and I had to pick. There was a great get together at my inlaw's last night, amazing food and a wild time, lot's of cousins, nieces, nephews... big house. I do enjoy them. When I am up for it. (Meaning.. about twice a year???) I did regret missing the party... but... I also saw an opportunity to be alone in my own home for several hours the night before my boys begin their spring break because Brian could take the boys and go over there without me... and well, last night I said "yes" to my own sanity. I had several glorious hours alone in my own house! And... this design popped into my mind at one point... and I put it together.

Remember, to say no to something is to say yes to something else! :)

artbabe21
03-29-2004, 03:47 PM
Beautiful work everyone! :D SO much talent~

Donna, sorry I didn't get that photograph to you of the Bali bracelet......but can you tell me how you made that beautiful bracelet? The wire work intrigues me...I've seen Danielle use that style too and know nothing about it.

KikkiSweden
03-29-2004, 03:51 PM
I've sold my torch and to pass the time while waiting for my new torch I made some jewellery with some of my beads I have lying around.

So now I have no torch and no more sterling silver clasps or toggles! :D

DonnaBee
03-29-2004, 04:26 PM
Hi Cathleen! Yes, I can tell you exactly how I made it. Thanks for saying it is beautiful! (I will try and get instructions posted by tonight, it's not difficult at all. :) )

Hi Kikki! How long til you get your torch, do you know? What kind did you order? I like your pieces you've posted today! (especially the black and ivory..:)

DonnaBee
03-29-2004, 04:33 PM
(Danielle, if you get the chance before me, you tell Cathleen what you do too, okay?)

Because Danielle and I do different things. I build mine on the screwball bangles, (which I will get a pic of what that looks like, and also where to buy), and Danielle does hers in the Connie Fox style.

lisilk
03-29-2004, 05:31 PM
Having a horrible time working. We have to put my beloved dog to sleep this week and I can't seem to concentrate on anything. As you will see, I am literally in a blue mood.

Laura- love your color combinations. Wonderful beginning to your jewelry making.

Donna- that bangle so elegant. Very nice.

Jenna, love them all. I am particularly drawn to the red and black combinations.

Llane, love those colors, reminds me of Carribean waters.

Kiki- ( Hey, that's my sisters name ) All very nice. I also like the black and white combinations.

Here's my not so perky designs.

lisilk
03-29-2004, 05:36 PM
Oops.

DonnaBee
03-29-2004, 05:37 PM
Here is a tutorial which Connie Fox published for Lapidary Journal that gives the fundamentals plus complete instructions.

http://www.lapidaryjournal.com/stepbystep/mar03bangle.cfm

Next I will post to show you the bangle finding I used. (Which is different from this Connie Fox method)

DonnaBee
03-29-2004, 05:39 PM
Li, that last one, I really love that! It's me!

I am really sorry about your dog. I have been through that and my heart truly goes out to you at this time.

glitterbead
03-29-2004, 05:46 PM
Li {{{hugs}}}

Your post bought tears to my eyes. It was two years ago last month that we had to put my Beloved cat Smokey to sleep due to brain cancer.

lisilk
03-29-2004, 05:47 PM
Thanks Donna and Glitterbead ( Posted at the same time...again ). He's my :angel: Maybe your kitty and my giganic pup can play together.

That's a great tutorial. Actaually looks like something even I could handle. LOL. I will bookmark that one.

Li

DonnaBee
03-29-2004, 05:51 PM
This is the scewball-end bracelet finding I use to make mine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3809&item=2684571376

They retail for about twenty dollars for sterling silver.

Ingrid and others on ebay sell them for less than that as in the link above. If you have a wholesale number you can get them even cheaper (I don't know where though), and if you can get in on a bulk buy you can also get them cheaper. I got mine from a bulk buy. (I have only six and I wish I had two hundred!)

(Ingrid, I hope you don't mind I posted your link, people are constantly asking me where to get them, and I don't buy wholesale, so I never know what to tell people! :eek: As far as I am concerned, Ingrid offers a good product at less than retail. If you have a way to get them wholesale, then you know more than I do! :) )

And finally, many of the craft stores are offering them in base metal now.

Anyhoo, I will come back with the link of how I make my coils, next.

DonnaBee
03-29-2004, 06:00 PM
I put a mini-tutorial in this thread of how I make long coils:

(scroll down a-ways)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174594

All you do is make some sterling coils and cut them to size, then thread them onto the screwball-end bangle with some large hole beads! Wa-la! :)

Thank you for asking about it Cathleen, tell me if there are more questions! :)

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-29-2004, 09:54 PM
/sigh

I guess I'm just a no show today...I just spent the last hour doing the weekly Home Page updates on the ole' website, and I haven't finished my bangle yet, and Ian' crabby, and it's past his bedtime, and I have to clean up the kitchen yet, and the hubby is mad cuz I've been in here since dinnertime, yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda.

The drama goes on.

Anyway.../sniffle, maybe tomorrow guys! Sorry~

~D.

DonnaBee
03-29-2004, 10:12 PM
We will see you tomorrow Danielle! (((hug))) I think tomorrow I will be a no-show! (I will be here looking though! Don't let me down everyone, you have to post something for me to look at tomorrow, okay? Okay. :) )

KikkiSweden
03-30-2004, 12:41 AM
Hi Kikki! How long til you get your torch, do you know? What kind did you order? I like your pieces you've posted today! (especially the black and ivory..:)

Hi Donna! Thanks! :) I'ff off to Hamburg, Germany on Thursday this week to buy my new torch. I've bought an oxy con from a supplier there and as she wasn't too keen on shipping it I'll drive down to pick it up instead. It's not that far! :D
As I'll be going there anyway I'll buy my new torch from the same place, even though I think I can get it from my usual supplier in Denmark. I'm going to buy a Minor Bench Burner. :clap:
I'm taking DH with me on my trip and we'll be away for the weekend, making it a small vacation instead of just a long drive to pick some items up.
And then I've taken Monday off work as well to do some serious glass melting! :D

DonnaBee
03-30-2004, 01:06 AM
Oh..... have fun Kikki, you are really going to like that minor! :D I am excited for you.