PDA

View Full Version : Another Beach...

Gareth
03-29-2004, 10:21 AM
I wanted to call this "Bat Out Of Hell" just because I could, but chickened out and put it into the gallery where I sell my stuff under the title Beach and it sold before I could change it, so Beach it is.

Around 22 inches x 9 inches, oil on canvas

Gareth
03-29-2004, 10:29 AM
Detail of the central area...

Eugene Veszely
03-29-2004, 11:21 AM
I can see why it sold so quickly :)

Another stunner :clap:

ZOTMA
03-29-2004, 05:34 PM
bat out of hell is good
the palette, the palette, the palette
(whisper it like; the horror, the horror)
what'd you do for the sand in front?
(those glazes make that ocean licked sand real)
nice

arourapope
03-29-2004, 05:51 PM
OMG this is wonderful. You have no idea what a yearning I've had for the ocean lately. And your beach paintings make me feel like it's right outside the window. I can almost hear the waves lapping and smell the sea smelling and squiiiiiish that wonderful sand between my tosies. Thank-you.

Sundrop
03-29-2004, 07:44 PM
Breathtaking piece...............

Tamana
03-29-2004, 10:49 PM
Infinite in its climb. Nice differentiation on size.

Gareth
03-31-2004, 03:18 AM
Thanks 1chameleon - It's all been a bit mad lately, after selling about five paintings all year last year, they've suddenly started selling almost faster than I can produce them. It's quite tricky, 'cause I've got exhibition commitments and am starting to have to think about holding work back if I'm going to be able to honour them. It's a pleasant quandary though.

Karen - The palette for this is Prussian Blue, Burnt Umber, Kings Blue, Yellow Light and Titanium White. The foreground is done with a mix of the prussian and the umber, which I use in everything that I do. If you mix them together in the right quantities then they go a neutral grey (it looks black, but if you add a speck of white to the edge of it you can tell whether it leans towards the blue or the brown and adjust accordingly). It's really simple to cool it down (more blue) or warm it up (more umber). That's all really, there's about four glazes on it, using essentialy the same colour mix, just with varying degrees of contrast and translucency, cooling towards the blue of the sea as it goes up. I can't see the picture now, but I think I may have scumbled a teeny bit of Raw Sienna across the very bottom as the last glaze, to suck some of the water out of the sand.

Aurora - Thanks, I don't know what my wife will have to say about me taking other women to the beach though.

Sundrop - Thank You.

Tamana - I think the minimalist in me just likes finding ways of splitting a rectangle.

Thanks for looking.

Eugene Veszely
03-31-2004, 05:08 AM
Thanks 1chameleon - It's all been a bit mad lately, after selling about five paintings all year last year, they've suddenly started selling almost faster than I can produce them. It's quite tricky, 'cause I've got exhibition commitments and am starting to have to think about holding work back if I'm going to be able to honour them. It's a pleasant quandary though.

Thanks for looking.

I am glad to hear you are in that predicament!! :)...I'd be amazed if you couldnt sell your paintings...but then buyers dont always know a good painter/painting when they see one!! ;) :)