PDA

View Full Version : What do you tube, and what mix fresh?

shawn gibson
08-30-2001, 09:40 AM
Hi Everyone!!!

My newest pet concerns:

After the problems I've had tubing lead monoxide, I'm just curious: I mix my reds and whites and straight colours in general right when I'm going to use them, but I've still been unable to take that approach with my flesh tones (and 'specialized' mixed colours, for example a particular, mixed blue for a dress), because they are so unique and I can never get the same colour again with the same handling properties etc., when I have to go back and mix more.

I'm just curious as to what you tube yourselves, and what you don't tube but grind fresh. I'd love to hear stories of what colours have given you problems in the past, what mediums, etc., when tubing, and what kind of problems you've had.

Any info is much appreciated.

shawn
ps I've posted this elsewhere as well, and will get back here if anyone is interested, with anything interesting that crops up in the other post:)

Scott Methvin
08-30-2001, 09:57 PM
Hi Shawn,

I tube my 3 primary colors and the lead white. I also tube dark neutrals and browns. Everything else is made as I need it.

I can't imagine a tube of flesh. You gotta build it IMO.

If you worry about matching colors and textures, you need to stop at "safe" places-so this isn't ever a problem. Done with planning-one new coat later on and it'll always match.

Stop suffering those slings and arrows dude.:)

vallarta
09-03-2001, 05:04 PM
when painting skin....for the most part dont use any premixed skin color...unless you plan to use it as a base and then add other colors to it.

Depending on your style....impressionistic or realistic....you attack the paint color in different ways.

Realistic paintings usually use an underpainting with tones and colors that are in skin color but are usually not seen in casusal glances....greens, blues, yellows for caucasian skin.

Painting realistic skin tones usually requires overpaintings...glazes and scumbles to get the shading and at the same time deliniate the type of skin.

Impresionism is different....you use normally a Serrate type of approach...placing colored tones juxtpositoned to each other....a ttouch of green next and mixed slightlywith a tan/reddish tone.

In realism the underpainting "shows thru" the glaze ...in impressionism it stands alone and the viewers eye makes the mix.

Good portait painting is a difficult subject to become accomplished in and takes lots of practice. Good luck.

myles/vallarta

flo70
09-05-2001, 09:38 PM
Hi shawn
Can you tell me where you get your supplies to make your own
paint? and your instructions on mixing them.
Thank betty

shawn gibson
09-06-2001, 10:28 AM
Hi Betty,

Virtually, I go to Kremer and Rob Howard (studioproducts); INToronto (my home), I get pigments (occasionally) and some stuff (wax and chalk) at the larger suppliers.

For tubes, Stevenson's in Toronto.

For Fatty Oil: Special Aged at RH's store, and his Stand; I also use Old Holland's cold-pressed for impasto mixes.

For Essential oil: RH's Oil of Spike; anybody's turpentine, the latter sparingly cuz it stinks!!!

For Resin: Blockx amber occasionally, copal, canada balsam; I'm trying to get down to a mix of stand oil and balsam in the upper layers, nothing but oil in the lower.

For pigments: mostly Kremer, but I get lead from Rob, and I still have a small supply of Old Holland's Cremnitz, which is absolutely awesome stuff.

For mixing, I am probably the wrong person. Here is probably everything I know so far: get an absorption list (Titanium is always gracious, leaVES A LOT OF THIS AROUND THE FORUMS). Put the pigment on a piece of paper, add a little regular oil, disperse it with a palatte knife, wait to see if it gets wetter over time (a few minutes), add more oil slowly, repeat. Then let it stand for a while after dispersing it well together (the pigment and the oil with the knife). See if anything happens in an hour or two, then add more oil or pigment if necessary.

I make the paint very lean in most cases, because I like to add medium depending on application after that, and I like to keep a pigment rich mix.

See any of Titanium's posts for this stuff. Einion is helpful. Scott Methvin, Leopoldo, and many others here are really helpful as well...

shawn:)

flo70
09-07-2001, 11:14 PM
Hi shawn
Thank you so much for the imformation. I'm glad to know you can mix it as you use it. i thought you had to make a lot and i was a little worried . I will try to make my own paint. i looked at the dangers in useing the pigment at kremer, and i will be careful.
Thanks betty:)

shawn gibson
09-10-2001, 10:39 AM
I think the dangers are common sense for the most part, and i don't mean that to sound deriding:)

I do not tube/grind/etc. around my 'surrogate' daughter, and I keep anything of the floor for my cat's sake:)

My biggest concern lately is this: do I NEED to tube? Fresh paint is better than 3 month old paint.

I also have had a few tubing disasters...like rock hard lead-based paint in 2 days...which stinks when it's half vermilion and worth a lot of money:(

I'm changing my own philosophy to: tube whe nrequired, mix fresh otherwise:)

shawn