PDA

View Full Version : Stretch cord bracelets

!Karen
03-27-2004, 11:47 PM
I am almost being forced into making bracelets with a stretch cord and no clasp. I deal with a lot of elderly ladies, and their arthritic hands don't allow them to deal well with clasps, even toggles.

So what I need to know is:

What type of cord do you recommend and places to purchase it?
How do you hold the cord together?
How do you feel about stretch bracelets?
Any types of beads that don't work well with a stretch cord? (sharp edges, metal, ??)

These ladies wouldn't be hard on their jewelry, like a young girl might be, but I don't want them putting it on and the whole thing snapping apart - that is what I see in my mind - with beads flying all over the place LOL! That would not be too good for repeat business.

Thanks for your help.

:) Karen

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-28-2004, 12:11 AM
Karen~

I made quite a few stretchy bracelets just with the invisible cording you buy at Walmart, and similar places. The one thing I did learn is that it's better to make it a little looser, rather than a little snugger. That way you don't have that catastophe of beads flying everywhere.

Also, regarding closures, I think most ppl crimp the ends, but I just tied really tight sailor knots and I haven't had one bust on me yet. I made a TON of toe rings like that last summer and they sold like wild fire to the young teenage girls.

Anyhoo, that's what I know about that.

:)

~Danielle

chuckie
03-28-2004, 12:28 AM
I've had two Swarovski bracelets made on Gossamer Floss stretchy string for over two years now. I wear them a lot. I still haven't had to restring them. I buy mine from B Toucan in East Wenatchee, WA. She carries all kinds of stringing material. I love her colorful selection of waxed linen. There's silk, Greek leather, wire, hemp, you name it, she's pretty much got it. Decent prices, too. Always some kind of sale. Friendly, fast service.

http://www.btoucan.com

Char

Lara
03-28-2004, 12:28 AM
I love stretch bracelets cause they can fit a couple different wrist sizes. Also, they stay put on my wrist, none of that rotating to the inside of the wrist.

I use this flat elastic that my bead shop carries. It is actually elastic used for swimsuit legs. I love it. It is very strong and just knots closed. If you can find it, try it.

Lara

!Karen
03-28-2004, 11:54 AM
Thanks everyone! Great ideas and I appreciate the suggested buying places.

Off to the torch,

:)Karen

DonnaBee
03-28-2004, 12:37 PM
Kate McKinnon teaches just what Danielle said in "Step by Step Beads" magazine (Spring 2003), a little loose, not tight (the stretch material it's strung on should not be tight, it should be a little slack).

No crimps or glue -the bracelets will hold up and last longer (and a long time) with only a sailor's knot.

After you make the knot, just cut the cord ends off to about a quarter inch, and no need to try and hide them.

farkel
03-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Danielle, you referred to a sailor knot. Is that similar to a surgeons knot? I haven't seen the sailor knot in the books and mags I read.
Thanks, fran

Karen~

I made quite a few stretchy bracelets just with the invisible cording you buy at Walmart, and similar places. The one thing I did learn is that it's better to make it a little looser, rather than a little snugger. That way you don't have that catastophe of beads flying everywhere.

Also, regarding closures, I think most ppl crimp the ends, but I just tied really tight sailor knots and I haven't had one bust on me yet. I made a TON of toe rings like that last summer and they sold like wild fire to the young teenage girls.

Anyhoo, that's what I know about that.

:)

~Danielle

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-28-2004, 11:10 PM
Here you go! An animated version, too!

http://www.tollesburysc.co.uk/Knots/Carrick_bend.htm

Sorry, being a sailor's wife, I use a million diff't nautical knots. LOL.

:p

~D.

Blair
03-29-2004, 01:35 PM
Another option for arthritic hands other than stretchy cord bracelets would be to use a magnetic clasp on a regular bracelet. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the buyer has a pacemaker magnetic clasps are a no-no! That being said, I've used magnetic clasps in several pieces and have had a lot of success with them. The bracelet can't be really heavy or it can make the magnets come apart too easily, but there are some strong magnetic clasps out there. All you have to do to get the ends to connect is just get them near each other and they take care of the rest!

Blair

fairyheidi
03-29-2004, 01:39 PM
Another alternative I use for my mom and her seeing-and-closure-challenged friends is magnetic clasps with a safety chain. They have really pretty ones in the Rio catalog that are all sterling and actually add to the design. They are pretty much all I use anymore for any of my bracelets.

But, the safety chain is a must cuz the magnets *can* get caught on metal stuff when one is out doin retail therapy. I try to do the safety chain such that the bracelet *just* sides over the wrist but doesn't fall off if the magnet comes unstuck, which doesn't really happen very often. These bracelets are a MIRACLE according to the gals (smile).

Hugs, Heidi

Would post one, but haven't gotten that far yet, this is my first post!

jacy
03-29-2004, 08:40 PM
"Retail Therapy" -- OMG, I love it!!!

~Jacy

!Karen
03-29-2004, 08:50 PM
I wondered about the magnetic clasps. I'll have to think about that, probably will make a few and have a sign made that warns the pacemaker people about it.

A safety chain is a great idea, I think it adds a bit of class to bracelets and certainly would be an added benefit with magnetic closures.

Thanks for all the great ideas, I appreciate it,

:)Karen

kate mckinnon
04-07-2004, 02:51 PM
the sailor's knot mentioned is a double square knot- tie one complete square knot, just like you accidentally tied your shoes into a knot, instead of a bow, and then flip the piece around and tie the second square knot in the opposite direction. the top knot locks down the bottom knot. when you are finished take the body of the bracelet in two hands and pull the bottom knot tight.

crimping or glueing elastic really isn't a good idea, it weakens it over time.
the best elastic I know is Powercord .08 Clear, sold by Fire Mountain.

kate mckinnon

!Karen
04-07-2004, 02:56 PM
Thank you Kate for that information.

My father was laughing hysterically at me yesterday when I was helping him tie-down a piece of PVC pipe to my roof to get it home from Lowes. I worked this rope all around and kept tying knots, and making a general mess of it. It was so loose when I finished he had to cut it all off and re-do it.

I am seriously knot-challenged!

But I CAN tie my shoes:):)

Karen

WillowMajestic
04-08-2004, 02:25 AM
I am seriously knot-challenged!

But I CAN tie my shoes:):)

Karen

I can't agree more!! UGHHH! What is it about tying knots that seems to be so elusive? :rolleyes:

Kari

RottweilerMom
04-08-2004, 09:26 AM
Sorry, being a sailor's wife, I use a million diff't nautical knots. LOL.

:p

~D.

Hey Turtle! Me too! All though I don't do the knots....that's what I have him for. ;)

SuzyQ
04-08-2004, 10:51 AM
Love the toe ring idea!!!

I sell tons of those stretch bracelets. At first I didn't really want to make them, but they are so easy and I swallowed my pride pretty quickly after I saw how popular they are.

I use at least 1mm thickness and I tie with a surgical knot. But, I like the looks of the sailor knot. Great tutorial!