PDA

View Full Version : 1935 flour sack sails

brrice
03-27-2004, 10:47 PM
This painting was done in memory of a great-grandfather. The sun is coming up behind the middle sail. This backlighting creates a silhouette effect . I decided to use muted colors to help define the time period. I used line to my advantage to create interest in the absence of brighter colors. The sails were made of flour sacks and the time period is circa 1935. Photo of a 16"x20" acrylic.

Diane Cutter
03-28-2004, 07:28 AM
Brian...

This is a beautiful piece. You've got a very nice feel to it. I really sense the sun behind the sails. Lovely.

The only problem I see is that he is sailing upstream, so to speak. I'm hoping the actual image has a flatter water line.... or I don't understand my physics.

Diane

mairrca
03-28-2004, 09:37 AM
I love it. What a reat idea for a painting. I llike how you've given the sky and the water the same treatment. Nice lazy feel to this painting. :clap:

Eugene Veszely
03-28-2004, 09:37 AM
It does look a bit lopsided...but other wise a fine painting.

brrice
03-28-2004, 01:08 PM
Brian...

This is a beautiful piece. You've got a very nice feel to it. I really sense the sun behind the sails. Lovely.

The only problem I see is that he is sailing upstream, so to speak. I'm hoping the actual image has a flatter water line.... or I don't understand my physics.

Diane

Thanks Diane,

This is not a river , it is a harbour scene and they are getting ready to leave the dock.

VeldaJ
03-28-2004, 03:39 PM
It's a lovely tranquil piece, Brian and your muted palette works well to indicate the time scale you're after.

I think what Diane was meaning is that the boat and the water at the horizon are somewhat on the tilt (sailing upstream, so to speak). Hopefully this is just the result of the scan (or photo) of the picture that is putting it at a slight angle.

Lorijo
03-28-2004, 08:15 PM
This looks very nice, you have really captured the glowing light through the sails . Lorijo

brrice
03-28-2004, 10:25 PM
I now know what you are all talking about. When I croped my photo it was off a bit. Heres another try. You are all right though it is off a bit. Thanks for bringing that to my attention I can fix that on the original.

Eugene Veszely
03-29-2004, 11:38 AM
That looks better :)

Diane Cutter
03-29-2004, 02:26 PM
Oh, so much better. Thank you.

Diane

Marty C
04-07-2004, 10:07 PM
Hi Brian,
This is most impressive work. The muted colours and silhouettes are very well done, resulting in lots of atmospere. Excellent.

brrice
04-08-2004, 06:29 PM
Hi Brian,
This is most impressive work. The muted colours and silhouettes are very well done, resulting in lots of atmospere. Excellent.

Thanks Marty,

This is not my typical painting, I usually paint with brighter colors. I got the idea for this painting from an old black and white 1930's photo. The photo was in rough condition and the sails were cut off 1/2 way. I decided to use muted color because I liked the look of the original photo and I wanted to retain some of that quality. Having the sun coming up behind the middle sail created a bit of a challenge to get a believable image. I normally don't paint an image with backlighting so this was a different challenge for me. The gentleman in the boat is my great-grandfather whom I never met. I gave the painting to my Mother as a christmas gift.