PDA

View Full Version : Your WorkBench/Studio Area

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-27-2004, 02:56 PM
Thought I'd take a minute to show off my messy work area where all the creations come from, and hoping to see yours too!

My "bench" is my poor Architecture desk run amok. That desk has seen more projects than it knows what to do with. I paint at it, I wire work at it, I draw at it, I cut, paste, glue, design, sample, redo, rework, revamp, build, constuct, throw things, destroy and more importantly, CREATE at it. It's my little nest in a world of mommyhood and military spouse-dom.

It's my baby, and I loooooove it.

:p

~D.

Mary Riggs
03-27-2004, 04:59 PM
Danielle, thanks so much for the photos of your work bench. I have my father's architectural table in my studio where I work on paintings, beading, collage, etc. I see I am on the right track with my ever-growing collection of plastic food storage boxes and tote bags! I just hit the hardware store again today for mandrels, steel flat electrical plates for pounding surfaces, copper wire for practice pieces, a millimeter/inches ruler, etc. I already have my fathers old miniature anvil and some of his hammers, which he left me before he died. Now I want to put them to good use.

I notice in your first picture what appears to be a towel on the table with a trough in it for your beads. Did you make this yourself? If so, how did you make it? I also use a towel under my beading supplies to keep them from slipping all over the place. I also use several more towels to cover my workbench so the cats that JUST HAVE to nap up there won't disturb my goodies. The trough is a great idea for placing the beads right in front of you while you work. My beading board is great for stringing, but after deciding on a design, I find it cumbersome. A set up like yours would be ideal.

I want you to know what an excellent inspiration you are to me. Your artistic use of wire combined with your color sense in your creations are simply gorgeous !!! My favorite designs of yours are the asymetrical bracelets. Do you also make all your own findings? I'm just starting the learning process with wire and have learned a lot by just looking at your beautiful creations along with the other very talented artists in this forum. I've been pouring over books by Mark Lareau, Helen Clegg & Mary Larom, and Kathy Peterson in the past two weeks and learned a lot so far.

In your plastic drawer towers, do you keep beads or other supplies? How do you keep them seperated and labeled?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to design like you when I grow up :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for any information you can share with me. ;)

DonnaBee
03-27-2004, 06:03 PM
The Leaning Tower of Beada! :clap:

brb with a pic of my area

DonnaBee
03-27-2004, 06:07 PM
This is where I sit my bead butt.

I want a jeweler's bench to replace this folding table!

TheBlueBetween
03-27-2004, 07:04 PM
Oh I love threads like these - I can pick up some great ideas and it forces me to clean up a little ;) You will notice I did not clean up my computer space at all. Oh well, there's only so much organizing a girl can do in one day. You will also notice Purple is my color ;)

BTW, Danielle, that towel idea is great - I have a ruler taped onto my table (an old dining room table) that kinda keeps beads from rolling onto the floor... sorta.

And DonnaBee, your area looks so serene and uncluttered! I can't stand working in clutter, but I usually do anyway. I just have too much stuff :(

TheBlueBetween
03-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Ok, so that is what I have... and this is what I wish I had. (My mom cut it out and sent it to me - I don't know where she got it - this is some woman who designs wedding jewelry. Don't mind the spills and stains - I don't know where they came from, but I'm sure my 3 year old had something to do with it).

Kerensamere
03-27-2004, 09:02 PM
I'm so jealous of all of the windows I see in these studio pictures!

My workshop is in our basement, the side w/o any windows, matter of fact, it doesn't have any finished walls either! One of these days my DH is going to put up the wall board, then I'm going to paint all kinds of cool pictures on the walls. Of course, one of these days I'm going to have the $$ to rip the roof off our garage and build me a studio with lots of big windows up there! :D Guess I'd better get back in the studio and make more stuff so that I have the $$ to do that, huh? I'll post pics of my workshop soon (gotta find the camera, etc.).

-Jen

Kerensamere
03-27-2004, 09:25 PM
OK, here they are, pic's of my messy work place (time to clean up again -- could be why I'm on the computer and not in there!). I've got lot's of space, lots of sheet glass, scrap glass and nuggets stashed on those shelves. Not to mention other craft and jewelry supplies. I don't have a lot of overhead light, which is why I have all the clip and swing arm lights. But NO WINDOWS!! :(

Enjoy!

snootyvixen
03-27-2004, 10:05 PM
Oh good heavens!!! Y'all are ORGANIZED!!!! I'm too ashamed to take a pic of my "creative space" because you'd all laugh ....

vikki

TheBlueBetween
03-27-2004, 10:40 PM
Oh good heavens!!! Y'all are ORGANIZED!!!! I'm too ashamed to take a pic of my "creative space" because you'd all laugh ....

vikki

I *should* have taken a picture of what it looked like this morning before I started "organizing"... now that might be a good thread - who has the craziest messiest most unorganized work area?

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-27-2004, 11:07 PM
/coughs

That would be me, I reckon...I only showed you one half of my space...

/coughs again.

My PC desk where I do all my web work is hell on wheels.../shudder

Unfairly, however, my husband piles any and all papers on my desk while his goes clutter free. /grumble

I think I'm WAY too embarrassed to show that picture. :p

~Danielle

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-27-2004, 11:21 PM
Duh, nice if I responded to -all- the commentary. LOL.

OK, so first off, I'm totally jealous of Pam's gray bead bins. I've been scouting for those for a while and I'm DROOLING over yours!

Donna, I love the nice serene feeling of your work area and the gorgeous picture windows, but I can assure you, it would look like a tornado after two days of me sitting working there. LOL. I hate clutter, but unfortunately, when I get design ideas, I have to work fast to stay with the thoughts and things go flying in my haste to get it out and done.

Mary...*blushes* You flatter me, really. Regarding the white towel, it's main duty is to show me true colors of beads. Working on colored surfaces will mask them most times, so I always have a white towel to work on. Also, it's nothing fancy, and the "trough" you see is actually where on most towels, they do a decorative edge..this just happens to be like a hotel room towel that's devoid of those things, and the beads just stay in that area...it's quite handy. Pam, I also have a ruler and a scale (architecture ruler with 6 diff't measurement tables) handy at all times. That way I know if things are centered, I can measure my wire, etc.

I really thank you from the bottom of my heart for the compliments. I've been working really hard this past year to show some level of skill and it makes me feel good that it's coming through on my designs. But believe me, all it takes is hard work and a willingness to study and learn from others, if they'll teach you. I've been very lucky to run into some special ppl that have given me invaluable advice.

And I'm MORE than happy to pass along whatever I know. We learn and grow and gain inspiration from others, and no one is more appreciative of art work than another artist. That's why I felt it was necessary for us to have this forum.

Cheerio!

~Danielle, feeling all warm and mushy now. ;)

TheBlueBetween
03-27-2004, 11:30 PM
Duh, nice if I responded to -all- the commentary. LOL.

OK, so first off, I'm totally jealous of Pam's gray bead bins. I've been scouting for those for a while and I'm DROOLING over yours!

Home Depot, about $15 each :)

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-27-2004, 11:34 PM
/faints

THUMP!

Detouring by Home Depot tomorrow on the way to the Bead Bonanza!

/goes off to the freezer to freeze credit cards in the ice cube bin.

LOL!

~D.

Kerensamere
03-28-2004, 12:01 AM
Pam, glad to know that other people use those organizer bins too. I use them to organize my glass nuggets (I have every color of the rainbow I think), findings, beads and other odd crafts supplies. My DH uses them to organize his bricks! He makes them with rubber molds and a concrete patch material (stronger than plaster). See pics below for how he uses them.

If you check the pic of my workspace with the chair. There's a spice rack that my neighbor gave me. I dumped out the spices and put some small batches of glass nuggets in the jars. I think these would be great for beads too! You can see what's in the jars as you spin the rack around. Might be a cheap find at a yard sale perhaps.

I also use those stacking drawers sold for office supplies to sort and stash my glass scraps AND I use the three drawer sets to store my inventory. Each piece is individually wrapped so that they don't get tangled up. One drawer for blue/green/purple another for red/yellow/orange and the last for all the other odd colors/sets/and theme pieces. I just put a big piece of masking tape from the top across the fronts of the drawers to the bottom to keep the drawers from sliding out in transit. Then when I set up my display at a show I pull from the drawers what I want and put the drawers under the table. If someone doesn't see what they want I can pull out the drawers to show them more. I use another one of these three drawer sets to hold necklace boxes, business cards, pens, credit card slips, etc. I didn't take these drawers with me to one of my last shows because it was a small space, I was completely lost! I felt like I looked like a complete idiot digging in a big bin for everything I needed. Won't do that again!

Oh, I also use semi-clear plastic divided boxes, like the ones sold for fishing tackle and sewing thread, only I use them for my beads and smaller findings like jump rings, etc. I have a cool canvass bag w/wheels on the bottom that came with a bunch of these boxes. Then I take the whole thing to shows, I can work on new stuff or customize pieces for customers while they wait.

Most of my work tables are standing height, it's easier to cut glass and solder when standing. So two of my tables are the kind sold at sewing stores for quilters, they can stand at them and cut big pieces of material. When I don't need them the legs roll under the center of the table and the sides fold down like wings. My DH uses them with a self-healing surface when he's making his one of a kind renaissance costumes and wedding gowns. We actually have three of them in the house! Got them one at a time, but all when they were on clearance (at least 50% off!).

I guess it all depends on what works for you and what you can find. Hope sharing a few ideas will help some of you that are still working on your spaces. I'm constantly reconfiguring mine, trying to find ways to make it more productive and definately more ergonimic!

Keep sharing those pics, I think we can all learn something from one another. I never thought of using a towel when beading, that's a great idea!

-Jen

lisilk
03-28-2004, 02:24 AM
Danielle, Love your leaning tower of beada. LOL.

Wow, you are all so organized. A necessity for jewelers I suppose. I work on the floor. grr.

Love seeing folks work areas tho. Thanks for sharing those everyone. God bless plastic boxes.

Li

sue ellen
03-28-2004, 09:56 AM
I love this thread!!!!

Right now I am working all over the house and in my design partners dinning room..lol Everything is in flux since I am painting and reorganizing my studio. I hope to have it all back together in the next couple of weeks but until then I am painting in my classroom at school....jewelry in my design partners dinning room...(which is now nothing like a dinning room!) And I have a drafting table in my bedroom..and one in the living room! I need to get it all together!!!!!

I am going to take some ideas from these pictures and incorporate them into my new studio set up!!!! Keep them comming!

Moth
03-28-2004, 10:21 AM
Wow! You guys all have great workspaces! Mine is in the same room as my lampworking setup which is unheated, so I only actually work jewelry out there in the warmer months. In the winter, I pull the little drawers out of my hardware store organizers and carry them into the dining room table. I don't like doing this!! LOL

Here is a picture of my little work desk. I have windows on three sides of me, so I get really good light out there. All my tools and doodads are in the drawers, all the beads and other supplies are hung on the wall and in plastic totes. And yes, I am this neat all the time. If I am not in the middle of a project, my work area looks like this. If I AM in the middle, it looks like the Tazmanian devil came through spewing beads all over the joint.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Mar-2004/24464-1studioeast.JPG

~~Mary

TheBlueBetween
03-28-2004, 11:20 AM
And yes, I am this neat all the time. If I am not in the middle of a project, my work area looks like this. If I AM in the middle, it looks like the Tazmanian devil came through spewing beads all over the joint.

~~Mary

Ok, that must be my problem then - because I'm always in the middle of at least 2 projects. I have 3 going on right now in fact. But then it just gets to the point where I can't think any more and have to clean it up.

One thing that I do when I don't want to be sitting at my work space for hours and hours, but rather out with the family or whatever, is I take a tray - like a breakfast in bed tray - lined with some fleece/felt whatever the fabric is - and that is my portable workspace. It's great for things like making my peyote tubes and spiral chains where it takes a long time to make and you want to be comfortable.

snootyvixen
03-28-2004, 12:13 PM
I'm embarrassing myself by posting this, but I wanted to point out to lisilk that not everyone is as organized as /\ them /\ up/\ there /\ LOL!!!

I work in a mess, as you can see. This is my computer desk, my jewelry making space and my dinner table (I do my lampwork in MIL's basement or you'd probably see a torch lying around here somewhere too!) -the only thing missing is one of those plastic shoe box type thingies which is on top of the bookshelf in the kitchen - one of those "keep out of the reach of the kids" dealies, because it has my flux,solder, jewellers saw and other things that children don't need to get their hands on - I do all that stuff in the kitchen when they're safely tucked in bed.

You can see that there's not a lot of room to move - the rest of the apt is the same! HAHA! I have one set of rolling drawers and one set of stacking drawers, as well as 7 containers of beads and five empty baby wipe boxes full of bits and pieces (wire, charms, "bead soup", pendants, etc). All the books you see in the bookshelf are either supplier catalogs or "how to" books.

There are various projects laying around - a waxed linen/bead bracelet, a ball of perle cotton that has about 3 rounds of bead crochet completed, some headpins I made yesterday, a half made sterling chain, an almostcompleted sterling armature & bead bracelet, to name a few!

On the desk surface (there is one?) you'll see a box of lampwork beads to my right, along with a tin of "blue mix" beads and all my junk for making zipper pulls and cell phone charms.

Right in front of me is my bead board (I have a bigger one stashed behind my computer, but the little one has a permanent home right in front of me). The pile of papers is a stack of drawings - the girls draw and bring me their pictures, so they just get stacked in front of me until I clean. You can see there a vintage package of silver solderl (does this stuff become unusable with age?), a bag of David Christensen furnace glass, my tool rack is a Martha Stewart K-Mart shelf organizer thingy that has my tools on one side, and my watchmaker cases stacked on the other -they house my Bali and my findings and a few odd glass and gemstone beads. That magazine you see on the left is a 1923 McCall Qaurterly I'm about to list on eBay (I think - I keep having doubts about whether to keep it or not), and it sits on top of what youcould loosely call an "in tray"-there's stuff in there that I have to do, but it just keeps getting buried! Behind that is a funky purple tool box that I haven't even opened in about a year! I know my Sunshine cloth is in there but I"m not sure what else! That was from the days when I was repairing costume jewelry.

On top of the poor old printer/scanner is what could also loosely be termed a tool box of sorts! Where you see the "366",that's a flat of "stuff" I won at an auction about 18 months ago and just haven't got around to listing yet! On top of that is a polystyrene thing from the bottom of a box from FIL's beer club - it's handy because it's partitioned (where the bottles would go) - it holds my crochet hooks, about 5 different types of glue, some hairstick blanks and some finished hairsticks, my box cutter and craft knife (kept out of the way of the kids!), bead reamer, another sharp pointy thing (LOL! how technical is that! I use it for poking the bead releas out of my hollow beads), and the girls "Maisy" poster that they've been wanting me to put in their room for about 2 years.

Next to that is the bottom of a box of 18 eggs - perfect for holding and separating beads! Unfortunately, it's just holding a couple of chacha bracelets I made and Ciel's Binky basket!

I hope I've explained my mess - there's such a lot in such a little space. And those of you who are in the troll challenge, pretend you didn't see my troll bead, OK? I trust you!

Now you can all feel better, because I KNOW no-one can top my mess! Well, except for my MIL, but she doesn't post here!

Vikki
(with blurry photos so you can't see just how much of a mess it really is!)

TheBlueBetween
03-28-2004, 01:40 PM
Wow Vikki! This IS some mess! I do have parts of my office that look similar to yours, but not quite to that extent :clap: :clap:

In the second picture down - those piles on the desk - that's about as bad as my area ever gets, and if I'd taken a before picture of my work table, it would have looked somewhat like that yesterday. But then last week was get taxes in order week and so things were a bit out of control. If you look If you closely at my pictures, you will see the hints of mess and ghosts of messes that were... but the real messes did not make it onto film. And on the little table where my bead organizers are, you can see where I've run out of room and either need another organizer or need some more space. I'm wondering if these organizers will stack safely or not.

Ok now everyone else can feel comfortable posting their pictures, because I'm sure Vikki has you all beat! :clap:

Patch
03-28-2004, 01:59 PM
How nice to see your work spaces... too bad I don't have a camera :evil:

Vikki, my space look a bit like yours... stuff under the tables and in every corner of the floor. I do have a little space on my desk though. I can tell a bit how I am installed and will try to find pics to scan.

I have my own studio in the basement. In there I bead, sew and do almost everything except lampwork for which I installed a little corner on my husband's side of the basement. I think I am priviledge to have my own space.

Patch

flynfire
03-28-2004, 03:24 PM
Thanks everyone for sharing your pictures. They say a messy desk is a sign of a great mind...or something like that. I don't produce enough pieces to have a mess. My shop is off the patio. No windows, but a great view of the mountains if I step outside the door. See the lightbulb? I think that means I had an idea!

DonnaBee
03-28-2004, 06:59 PM
What a great thread. It is true, I have a very serene side to my personality, as my first photo seems to show.....

But.... that pic was the day I set up that work space a couple months ago... I confess... here is what it looks like right now... this minute... :eek:

Moth
03-29-2004, 12:08 AM
What a great thread. It is true, I have a very serene side to my personality, as my first photo seems to show.....

But.... that pic was the day I set up that work space a couple months ago... I confess... here is what it looks like right now... this minute... :eek:

Donna, is that a WooBox???

~~Mary

I gotta get me one of those.

DonnaBee
03-29-2004, 12:45 AM
Yes, that is my Woo Box, Mary! It's the "Confused" one. I just love it. I also liked the chalkboard ones. :) I only bought this one for now.

Here is the link: http://thewoobox.com/

Lenda's sister paints them by hand. I am very happy with the quality and durability of the way she paints them. One of the little panels on the side has the logo "Woo Box" worked into the design nicely. Really neat little collectible arty fun item.

TheBlueBetween
03-30-2004, 10:08 PM
Well, I just thought I'd share. Ever since I "cleaned" up my studio spaces, I have not been able to create a darned thing. Nothing. Not even any ideas. And no motivation to try. I sit there for a few minutes and get up and leave. I'm in a big ol' funk :( Maybe I need to mess things up?

lisilk
03-30-2004, 10:26 PM
Yes, that is my Woo Box, Mary! It's the "Confused" one. I just love it. I also liked the chalkboard ones. :) I only bought this one for now.

Here is the link: http://thewoobox.com/

Lenda's sister paints them by hand. I am very happy with the quality and durability of the way she paints them. One of the little panels on the side has the logo "Woo Box" worked into the design nicely. Really neat little collectible arty fun item.

Those are really cute. I've never heard of them before. Might have to git me one !

Kerensamere
03-30-2004, 11:23 PM
Well, I just thought I'd share. Ever since I "cleaned" up my studio spaces, I have not been able to create a darned thing. Nothing. Not even any ideas. And no motivation to try. I sit there for a few minutes and get up and leave. I'm in a big ol' funk :( Maybe I need to mess things up?

How 'bout hanging up some inspiration pieces? I started hanging things from the ceiling over my work bench that either I've purchased or made: stained glass star, glass spiral, glass double heart, a clown nose (long story, don't ask, just know that it makes me laugh). I also have a cork board that I pin photos and prints that I like (I love the Tsunami wood block print so I have a note card with that picture on it), clippings from magazines and catalogs that have shapes or color combinations that I like, silly cartoons, whatever. Sometimes those things motivate me.

Another thing that I do is I keep a sketch book with me almost all the time. I'm constantly scribbling in it. Notes, design ideas, color combos, whatever, if it intrigues me I make some note of it. I even write down questions to myself: "what if...?" "why not...?" etc. Then when I'm completely at a loss I just start flipping through the book until I find something that grabs me.

The other thing I do when I'm out of juice is just start screwing around at my work bench. Do goofy things just to see what will happen. Some of my coolest designs have come from just giving serendipity a chance to give me a nod.

Lastly, go someplace, go to a gallery, an art show, a cool shopping district, a museum, a garden or garden center, just go and drink in everything around you. Maybe buy a little something that makes you smile and bring it home and give it a special place in your home or work space. Sometimes you just need to recharge those creative batteries!

Best wishes! Hope some of these ideas might help you regain your creative momentum. I know what you're going through so I'm sending creative warm fuzzy's your way. :)

-Jen

Wire Mania
03-31-2004, 12:24 AM
Here are pictures of my studio....Just finished this weekend....I am so excited I can finally get back to it....

arlene
03-31-2004, 12:26 AM
I have to show my daughter the chalkboard box...she'll go nuts...

her favorite bag right now is this one:
http://www.ebags.com/little_packrats/piggy_purse/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=15987

and no i didn't pay that for it! sheeeeeesh it's a kids bag...give me a break..

anyway she's 12 and in the 6th grade so will definitely get a kick out of the lunchbox.

btw I'm going to start a similar thread in the next day or two in the colored pencil forum. This is a great thread.

Kerensamere
03-31-2004, 12:35 AM
Viki-
What a great space!
Gotta luv those cool colored Ikea boxes and I love those wooden cabinets you have overhead, must be nice to make the stuff dissapear when you don't want to look at it.

I also noticed the wooden library file index cabinet, where on earth did you get your hands on that? What do you use it for?

Wire Mania
03-31-2004, 09:17 AM
Thanks - I love my new space....I got the index card cabinet from my Father in law (He works at the public library) It's Walnut and in excellent condition. I plan to use it to store glass rods. The drawers are the perfect size 14". I also wanted a space so my display could be left out at all times. ( I have a lot of men who stop by for last minute gifts for their wifes.) Vicki

ValorieCox
03-31-2004, 10:36 AM
Great photos, I'm impressed! Ok, Vikki wins, that is the messiest desk I have ever seen! :p! Cute piglet purse Arlene, love the floppy ears!

beclectic
03-31-2004, 11:17 AM

Some ideas of how to get inspired.

Make something inspired by the Leafy Sea Dragon, it's given me several cool ideas that I haven't explored yet. Thanks again for the link BTW, I put a picture of it on my computer desktop.

Look through Better Holmes and Gardens magazine for spring color combos and beautiful plants to help inspire you.

Think about your favorite thing when you were as small as you can remember. Think about how you felt about it.

Just relax, read a good book.

Remake something that just wasn't quit right to keep your hand in but not have to push the envelope.

Admire your bead stash. That's at least a 1/4 of the reason for having a bead stash. Take them out, handle them. Look at them with light going through them if they are transparent or translucent. Do the same with any cabachons or other stones you have.

Meditate.

Hope this helps. :D

starlightdesigns
03-31-2004, 12:14 PM
Oh wow! I guess Vicki DOES win for the most messiest :D ! I bet I get second place, though!

I took these photos just now, didn't move a thing to take these pix, and the truth is, this is the way my work area looks 98% of the time... It's amazing I accomplish anything...

Actually, you'll see a lot of organization in certain areas, but it's still really messy!

Pic 1) The general area, although not all of it... Yes, that is a cheap folding table being used as a barrier along with a rolling cart full of gemstone beads ~ I'll show you who it's a barrier against, in a moment...

Pic 2) The shelves against the wall contain mostly Delica beads and some seed beads, stored in Tic-tac boxes - they are the BEST!!! (Gotta eat a lot of Tic-tacs, though). Also shown here is my beading table, where I am currently working on an amulet bag.

Pic 3) These shelves contain mostly seed beads, and crystals, fire polish beads, etc... That's an almost used up roll of bubble wrap suspended between shelves, the storage rack contains all my findings.

Pic 4) These shelves have boxes and boxes of beads in all shapes and sizes... Plus magazines like Bead & Button, Lapidary Journal, etc... That's a dancing chicken with a santa hat on the shelf ~ how'd he get there? Two of my three full bags of packing peanuts on top (what do I DO with these???? I keep accumulating them!!!)

Pic 5) These shelves contain mostly my office supplies, disks and disks of all my work (I keep images of everything I make)... The big cardboard box is full of padded envelopes for mailing orders, and oh! There's Corina's "Passing The Flame" book sitting on top... And if you look to the far right ~ you can see a jar full of clean mandrels ready to be dipped in bead release sitting on the kitchen counter! I'd better get to work!

One more pic to show you in my next message.... :D

starlightdesigns
03-31-2004, 12:18 PM
My glass bead making studio is out in the workshop my hubby built for me... It's also a mess! (You're not surprised, are you?)

Okay, now here's the reason for my makeshift barrier in the first pic!

TheBlueBetween
03-31-2004, 06:37 PM
I just wanted to thank Barbara and Jen for the great advice and warm fuzzies about getting creative juices flowing again. I think these should be in their own thread, don't you? I think I'll start one, and if you guys don't copy and paste, mabye I can find a way to quote these posts - I'm sure other people will appreciate all these great suggestions too.

I did manage to make something last night - it's in todays show and tell... so some of those warm fuzzies made their way to me at least :)

Thanks,
Pam

TheBlueBetween
08-03-2004, 11:08 AM
Well, I guess it was time to re-organize again - I couldn't find a thing I was looking for. I'm not sure I'm done.... but this will work for a little while I think -cork boards and tacks - at least I can see what I have for a change.

Anyone got any great ideas for storing/organizing seed bead tubes? I have a big tub of them and it's not easy to find what I'm looking for...

:) Pam

beclectic
08-03-2004, 12:51 PM
I like the corkboard idea. Everything looks so accessable.

It takes up a lot of room but I've seen seed bead tubes displayed on the wire shelving that is made for closets. The shelving is usually white and made of fairly heavy wire. The wire crossing forms rectangular spaces. You mount the shelves almost flat to the wall with the bottom out about 3". Then you put the seed bead tubes in the rectangular spaces formed by the wire. I hope this makes sense. The delica tubes I saw displayed this way were just enough bigger than the rectangular spaces not to fall through. It made a great looking display and the colors were easy to find.

ringslingin
08-03-2004, 01:16 PM
I *should* have taken a picture of what it looked like this morning before I started "organizing"... now that might be a good thread - who has the craziest messiest most unorganized work area?

Definitely me! I've got 2 computers, a kitchen table (my work table), 2 bookshelves, and a stackit storage set from target all in the same teeny tiny little room. Not to mention all the papers and books I have strewn all over the room. It's so bad, I don't even let people IN it.

Barrie
08-03-2004, 02:30 PM
Amateurs!!! Now THIS is a messy workspace!!! (anyone wanna come organize and tidy for me? I can brive you with jewels or something! LOL!)

Bangs
08-03-2004, 04:21 PM
LOL, Barrie! You win!!!

Barrie
08-03-2004, 04:49 PM
LOL! It's so messy now, that it bugs even me! But too dang busy to do anything about it! Maybe next week after the show, I'll post pics of the 'after' once I get done!! (be forewarned, organization is NOT my strong suit! :evil: )

Jacinthe
08-03-2004, 06:27 PM
Amateurs!!! Now THIS is a messy workspace!!! (anyone wanna come organize and tidy for me? I can brive you with jewels or something! LOL!)

Barrie,
Iffen you pay the Airfair, I'll do it. :evil: ;) I love organizing things like that, I can spend all day sorting my glass and beads and not think about anything else, but it never stays that way, at least not in my house.

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah

Kerensamere
08-03-2004, 08:04 PM
My space gets so bad and then I have to clean it up 'cause I either can't find anything or can't find any place to work or worse yet I just can't think creatively 'cause the clutter and the mess are just too much to bear! In college I wouldn't be able to focus on my homework once my room got to a certain point so I found that if I atleast made my bed (which took up about 1/4 of the space) I could focus enough to get my work done. I have a similar problem now as an "adult" (gotta put that in quotes 'cause it just doesn't suit me completely! :D ) I find myself dealing with house work when I should be in my studio making stuff. Thankfully my DH knows when to yell at me and he sends me to my studio! :D He's definitely a keeper!

I stand to do most of my work and unfortunetly find myself standing to do my beading and stringing. What a pain! I've lost countless seed beads and jump rings this way. Even lost a lobster claw clasp last night. My studio floor is the last thing to get cleaned, it's littered with bits of glass, copper foil, solder, scraps of fishing line, beadalon, and small (and thankfully cheap!) beads. Crawling around on the floor looking for things in the summer when I'm in shorts is rather dangerous! My studio floor is currently poured concrete with a few foam mats and an old area rug on top. In my new space I'm hoping to have decent quality vinyl tiles or something with a special anti-fatigue work mat. The new mat has holes in it so if stuff falls it'll just go through the holes and not roll under my workbench (in theory) so I should be able to just lift it up and sweep up the stuff underneath it to recover the run-aways. I'll let you know if the plan works when it's done.

Anyone have suggestions on how to build a good beading station (for sitting not standing)? I'm planning on incorporating that kind of work space into my new studio. My work space will probably consist of pre-fab cabinets with a formica counter top. Any suggestions or good working heights and things to make it easier to work? I've noticed that the good jewelrs tables on line and in catalogs have a half circle cut out with either a tray or a sling of fabric or leather under it. I presume this is to catch run-aways too? Suggestions? Ideas?

-Jen

Gingerbiscuit
08-04-2004, 11:42 AM
I stand to do most of my work and unfortunetly find myself standing to do my beading and stringing. What a pain! I've lost countless seed beads and jump rings this way. Even lost a lobster claw clasp last night. My studio floor is the last thing to get cleaned, it's littered with bits of glass, copper foil, solder, scraps of fishing line, beadalon, and small (and thankfully cheap!) beads. Crawling around on the floor looking for things in the summer when I'm in shorts is rather dangerous!

Try vacuuming with panty hose over the nozzle. It catches everything you've lost. Then switch the vac off while holding the nozzle over a container. hth!

TheBlueBetween
08-04-2004, 04:57 PM
Hi Jen, I'm not sure you need anything fancy for a beading station - a lip on the edge might be nice... I just use an old dining room table and have my fleece on it to keep bounce from happining and a big ruler taped down to act as the lip to keep things from rolling off... plus it's nice to have the ruler handy at all times. A comfy chair is very important.

But you know what? Most times, I use a big tray lined with fleece and sit wherever I want - couch, deck, diningroom table - it's nice to be able to do the stringing where my family is or still see a movie or whatever. I mostly use the studio table for design work - once I have it figured out, I go mobile.

Have fun designing your new space :)

Pam

Kerensamere
08-04-2004, 08:53 PM
Lynne & Pam

Thanks so much for your tips! I think I've heard of the vaccum cleaner tip but completely forgot about it, let alone ever thought it would be a good idea for me :rolleyes:

The fleece idea is good too. But I really like the ruler idea. Mine are hung up behind my bench, always just out of reach. Keeping at least one up front on the bench makes a ton of sense! Duh! Why didn't I think of that!

-Jen

TheBlueBetween
08-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Lynne & Pam

Thanks so much for your tips! I think I've heard of the vaccum cleaner tip but completely forgot about it, let alone ever thought it would be a good idea for me :rolleyes:

The fleece idea is good too. But I really like the ruler idea. Mine are hung up behind my bench, always just out of reach. Keeping at least one up front on the bench makes a ton of sense! Duh! Why didn't I think of that!

-Jen

You're welcome Jen :) You might also get some wonderful studio ideas here:
http://www.conniefox.com/Education/StudioTour/StudioTour.htm

Pam

TheBlueBetween
08-04-2004, 10:12 PM
I like the corkboard idea. Everything looks so accessable.

It takes up a lot of room but I've seen seed bead tubes displayed on the wire shelving that is made for closets. The shelving is usually white and made of fairly heavy wire. The wire crossing forms rectangular spaces. You mount the shelves almost flat to the wall with the bottom out about 3". Then you put the seed bead tubes in the rectangular spaces formed by the wire. I hope this makes sense. The delica tubes I saw displayed this way were just enough bigger than the rectangular spaces not to fall through. It made a great looking display and the colors were easy to find.

Thanks Barbara, I missed this yesterday! I'm trying to picture what you are talking about - will have to hit home depot and see if looking at the shelves helps... I can sort of see it in my mind... maybe ;)

Kerensamere
08-04-2004, 11:42 PM
You're welcome Jen :) You might also get some wonderful studio ideas here:
http://www.conniefox.com/Education/StudioTour/StudioTour.htm

Pam

Pam - Thanks so much, that's a great link! I use similar storage units to Connie's only I store my ever growing collection of flat bottomed glass marbles. Mine have bigger drawers. I also use a couple with various sized drawers to store tools, findings and crafting odds and ends that I don't use all the time. Her tips on taking pics of jewelry are also great! Need to bookmark that site.

I know that many beads come in tubes, but I just haven't found them to be convienent in anyway. I sort all of my beads into clear tackle box organizers that have hinged lids and re-sizeable compartments. You can see through the lids without opening the boxes. They stack well together. You can pick them up cheap in the fishing dept. at Walmart ($3-5 typically). And they fit into a great purple canvas travel bag on wheels that I bought at Jo-Anne Fabrics last year (it came with a set of it's own, but I can swap them out as I need to for shows, etc.). One of these days I'm going to sort them by color :rolleyes: Untill then I'll just have to keep a couple of them open at a time.

I have also found that these tackle boxes are great for sorting and storing my inventory! Pairs of earrings don't get split up, necklaces don't get tangled. I can pop out a few of the dividers to make bigger spaces for bigger pieces. Then when I'm at a show I put out one or two of each design, extras are stored under the counter in the boxes sorted by color. If someone says "I like this style but not that color" I can pull out a box with pieces in the color they are interested in and show them what I have and what I can do. When it's time to pack up and go home everything just gets neatly put back in the tackle boxes, the boxes get stacked and packed in the car. No muss, no fuss and I can still see what's in them when I'm home trying to figure out what needs to be made again. This system is also helpful when I have a friend or family member help me in the booth, it's not that difficult for them to find what they need when I've run off to the potty or to grab a bite to eat (or heaven forbid I'm out checking out the rest of the show! :D ).

-Jen

Oskadis
08-05-2004, 04:34 AM
Desk? What desk???

Let's see... my studio is in the bus, the subway... ah yeah yesterday in the train during the trip from the Netherlands back to Berlin. Hmm yeah I think I use now and then the kitchen table ... and my stash is stuffed in countless shoe boxes ...

Call me organized :evil:

(Now honestly, I really wish I had a studio in my little old house ... Maybe after the rooms are renovated and repaired :D )

TheBlueBetween
08-09-2004, 08:29 PM
Today I took some fabric and covered my corkboards with it and then took some fancy cord and made a wall hanger with it - I took some photos but for some reason they aren't coming out at all well. You get the idea anyway I think... it looks a lot better than it did. :)

Now I'm thinking of moving my studio upstairs to my "library/away room" so maybe you will get all new pictures with corkboards hung and everything soon...

Andee
08-10-2004, 06:24 AM
Hi everybody,

I love this thread - it's SO interesting to see all your work areas, thanks for sharing them! :)

So, here's mine: I work on a very small table in front of my bedroom window. The containers are looking tidy, but they're not optimal for storing my bead stock, it takes a while to find what you're looking for (especially if what you're looking for is inspiration! ;) )... My soldering station (you can see the torches I use for lampworking as well as for soldering on that pic) is on the kitchen table next to my lampworking place.

TheBlueBetween
01-29-2006, 04:38 PM
bumping up (thanks Andee for finding it!) - wondering if anyone would like to add or update their photos?

Andee
01-29-2006, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I guess I should update mine because I have a much larger bench now. Will take some photos tomorrow. :)

lida
01-29-2006, 07:34 PM
This is a great thread! Wonderful to see how others organize their work spaces and then there are some of us that create in chaos! LOL

Andy what kind of torch do you use, I see a canister in one of your picks is that your source?

I have been using a mini butane torch for most of my silver work and it is time to upgrade to a real torch.

I will post of pic of my messy bench tomorrow, my digital camera is out of juice right now.

rbird007
01-29-2006, 08:09 PM
O.K. I'm going to be brave. It's a mess, but it seems to be the way I work best. Talk about embarrassed!!! :o
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2006/57635-Workspace_1-2006.jpg
And yes, this is, er, was my kitchen...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2006/57635-Workspace_1-2006_3.jpg

:eek:

Kerensamere
01-29-2006, 08:36 PM
It's good to know that I'm not alone! My space looked like that last week! I finally had to stop working and clean some of it up, I just couldn't find what I was looking for! Piles started blending with other piles...and then the avalanches started...oh the humanity!!!!! So I started cleaning...of course then I started working on a project and the cleaning and reorgainizing stopped. I keep switching from projects to cleaning tasks...seems to be the only way I can keep my sanity right now! :-)

Jen

TheBlueBetween
01-30-2006, 12:45 AM
Robin, that's really not so bad! LOL - Mine has been much, much worse.

Here is my new place in the new house - sort of - I'm still setting it up so there hasn't been a chance for me to mess it up yet and there's not much personality in it yet.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2006/27814-studiobeadcorner.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2006/27814-studiobeadstorage.jpg

And here it is after painting and before moving much in:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2006/27814-studio.jpg

claire.c
01-30-2006, 05:16 AM
Pam, I am so jealous. I will see if I can pluck up courage to photograph mine without tidying anything first!

Andee
01-30-2006, 09:02 AM
Pam - that looks very tidy! I like your neat compartments! Didn't you have a large table in your old studio, do you plan to set that up again?

Lida - that used to be my lampwork space, and I used a simple torch from the hardware store for that (you can see some in the pics). Meanwhile I stopped lampworking and now use the torch for soldering.

Robin - that looks wonderfully messy! ;) Do you work standing up?

Here are pics of my new space. It's set up in the room formerly known as kitchen. Normally it's a bit less messy than today, but atm I'm trying to take photos of the wirewrapping process, hence the tools and wire... And I apologise for the dirty tea cup... :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2006/29310-workspace01.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2006/29310-workspace02.jpg

starlightdesigns
01-30-2006, 12:31 PM
O.K. I'm going to be brave. It's a mess, but it seems to be the way I work best. Talk about embarrassed!!! :o
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2006/57635-Workspace_1-2006.jpg
And yes, this is, er, was my kitchen...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2006/57635-Workspace_1-2006_3.jpg

:eek:

I recognized that counter INSTANTLY! LOL! And I can verify it really does look like that!

And, Robin, I am STILL envious of those killer tools!!!! LOL!

Hugs!

Kerensamere
01-30-2006, 01:01 PM
I really love this thread, it's so much fun to see everyone's work spaces!

Jen

Kerensamere
01-30-2006, 01:01 PM
I really love this thread, it's so much fun to see everyone's work spaces!

Jen

Doxallo
01-30-2006, 01:34 PM
OK, here is mine that I am trying to organize:

Its a corner of the basement, the side thats unfinished...

Looking straight on
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/WireyWoman/Picture030-1.jpg

and to the left:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/WireyWoman/Picture032-1.jpg

rbird007
01-30-2006, 01:38 PM
Debby, That's right, you have been here and you KNOW this is truly the way it looks!! Actually, this might be a little less messy than it was when you were here, but it's a pretty good representation of reality. (I do still love my new tools! They were worth the money!).

I'm starting to feel inferior to my countertop, however. Seems it's becoming famous (and well recognized) while I am...not! :p

Pam, I love the view you have and the white paint is so fresh!! You are going to have a wonderful place to work! You will have to post a picture when you get everything set up. At the moment, I find it very hard to believe your workspace gets messy!!! :D

Andee, You have expanded! You are still very organized and I'm jealous. How I wish I could be more like that! I do work standing up. I like being able to move around easily...you know, to dig through the piles! ;)

Jen, You can come over any time you like! Sounds like you and I would get along just fine!!! I FULLY UNDERSTAND what you are talking about...the clean, create cycle thing...count me IN!!!

MadameKali
01-30-2006, 05:44 PM
I thought about sneaking a picture of my workspace (aka my couch) just now.. my roommate is crashed out sleeping there :D

JoeyW
01-30-2006, 09:04 PM
This is such a wonderful thread! Thanks all for sharing!

Right now, I have my stuff everywhere! One corner of my dining room has stacks of bead boxes, the kitchen has lights and tripod setup. And LOL, my family room has all my tools stored in a big old oak desk. :confused:

The good news is that soon I will have my own room for such things. Our oldest son moved out :crying: he's all grown up now, :) and I am re-doing the room. So it's sort of exciting seeing what all of you have done and it is so helpful!

Pam - I HAD to order that book "Where Women Create" that you mentioned in yesterday's WIA thread. :)

It will be a while, but I promise to post pictures when I'm done and moved in. :clap:

Joey

claire.c
01-31-2006, 05:51 AM
Janice I am sooo jealous of your rolling mill, I want one but can't justify the cost atm.

Right, this is where I win the most chaotic cramped workspace contest.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2006/66709-studio1.jpg
I have to share the pillar drill with David so he's always leaving stuff on my hearth and bench. The washing line hangs above it all so every time I do any washing I can't use the torch.
My bench shears are out in David's workshop, he has a small brick and tile shed in the garden.
The other side of this room is our office, which is equally tight for space.

Doxallo
01-31-2006, 12:50 PM
Claire - my mill is an economy model that I was scared to buy because of everything I had read about gear reduction ratio blah blah and how hard they could be to use. Mine suits my needs MORE than fine!!

Tropikatz
01-31-2006, 04:38 PM
Okay, here is where I work. It is pretty messy right now as I am in the middle of a couple of projects. I tend to work myself into a tiny little square in front of me and have piles of stuff around me and when I finish, I put it all away and start over. The louvered windows look out to the ocean and the beach for inspiration.

I organize my beads by putting them into the aluminum tins with glass lids from Lee Valley Tools and then put them on restaurant trays. They can be stacked then, if necessary.

Karen S.

Tropikatz
01-31-2006, 04:43 PM
Oh, and one more, the small closet. I have a huge closet downstairs that is filled with another life of hobbies; like knitting, needlework, needlelace, ribbonwork, rubber stamping. You name it, I own just about everything to do it. :)

If I lived in the states or Canada, where it is easy to sell on Ebay and ship things, I would probably downsize but it is just too difficult here, so it just sits.

Karen S.

yackityyack
02-02-2006, 11:51 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2006/75743-P1010020.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2006/75743-P1010021.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2006/75743-P1010022.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2006/75743-P1010025.JPG

Not alot of personality.. but functional... except I wish I had a sink... an exhaust system... Piped in gas... I could go on and on... I want it all!:D

Faith

BlindCaveFish
02-03-2006, 12:33 AM
Clare, I know what you mean about sharing workspace. I should take a pic of my space...it's a competition at best.
Karen, I am jealous of all of that room you have! and you're so organized
I think I want either Faith's or Janice's rolling mill, WoW
and Faith, great idea having a TV in your workspace. I tend to run to my workroom durring comercials, lol!

*CJ
03-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Hi All...!

I stumbled on this topic via Google and just looooved seeing where others "work"... the options for work surfaces, tools, storage systems, lighting, messiness (or the lack of it) is great! :)

I also saw many jealousy pangs over Pam's (and others) use of the grey multi-drawer table top storage units, and yes, while they are available at Home Depot, I thought I'd pass on some additional sources for these type (and other) storage systems.

Akro-Mils (Akron, OH) makes 16-, 24-, 26-, 44- and 64-drawer plastic storage units in red, blue, yellow, black from $16 - $38: http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodli.asp?DeptNo=9600&ClassNo=0421 and Stack-On makes 12-, 18, 39 & 60-drawer units in grey for $8 - $20: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatDsp?storeId=6970&N=768542+1477+4294964623&Ne=2000001
Woodcraft.com offers small stainless steel canisters w/ clear acrylic lids for $15 or $18/case of 12: http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5278
Also by Woodcraft.com is a snazzy wall-mounted 16-cylinder (each container 2-1/4" w x by 2-5/8" h) rotating organizer for $20.00: http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5822
And my ALLLLLLLLLLLL time favorite place to get really cool stuff for exCEPtionally cool prices is American Science & Surplus (http://www.sciplus.com/index.cfm)... you know the clear–plastic round containers that stack, where the bottom of one container is the lid to the one below it? Fire Mtn sells 'em at four cases w/ one lid for $3.43... AS&S sells a pack of 4 with 4 lids for $1.95! :clap: And the aluminum version? AS&S sells 'em (in colors) from $6 (for 20) to $7-$7.25 (for 6-12).The best hint I can pass along regarding systems to make beading easier & more fun is to NOT constrain yourself to looking JUST in the beading aisles/web sites... I think some of the best ideas/solutions come from trolling places where guys are looking for their workshop solutions... I mean, really, there isn't THAT much difference between having to store small plumbing accessories and a handful of 3mm crystal beads? :wink2:

Also, I just looked on eBay... someone's selling a 25-drawer storage unit for $9.99 and it comes stuffed with the hardware thingamabobs, too. Now doesn't some guy you know want a mess'o'hardware bits & pieces... sans the organizing unit? :lol:

Best, CJ

Kerensamere
03-17-2007, 11:51 PM
CJ, I completely agree with you about looking in unexpected places for storage solutions.

Matter of fact I just picked up a glass jar with a metal lid, the kind that you'd expect to find penny candy in on the counter at the general store. I'm planning on putting a sample of each of the different colors of glass cabs I have in my inventory in this jar, yep, it's going to look like a jar full of colorful hard candy. BUT I'm actually going to put a dot of liquid correction fluid (AKA White-Out) on each cab and write a number on it. The numbers will correspond to the drawers and bins that I store the rest of the cabs in. Then I can take the "candy jar" to shows, people can pick you just the color they want for a custom piece and I can easily write down the reference number on the order so that when I get home I know exactly what color they want!!!! Some of you might be able to use this concept for beads or other items you incorporate into your work.

I also store scrap sheet glass, which I use in my jewelry, in those stackable plastic drawers that they sell for organizing your desk and office supplies. Some of my glass cabs are also stored in these drawers.

I picked up some 5" wide, 1.5" deep magnetic containers at IKEA, they're like the small spice jars that they sell that you can stick to your fridge only bigger. They still have the clear tops that you can see thru, they're just wider and not as deep. Then we found metal strips at IKEA that were sold with magnets to be used as message centers. Hubby mounted them on the wall vertically (I think most people would put them up horizontally) on a narrow wall in my studio and I stuck the tins filled with small lots of odd colored cabs onto the strips. Now I have great storage that's easy to reach in a space that might otherwise go unused AND a cool colorful "art piece" on my wall!!

I use metal file holders, the kind with the metal fins that you put the folers in between, they usually sit on top of your desk, to hold and organize all my sheet glass. My metal "metro" shelves holds 3 of these organizers per shelf.

I recently found a small office organizer at Lowes, it is not super sturdy but I think it will work for what I'm doing with it. It has two drawers on the bottom and the top is designed to hold hanging file folders. I have light wieght stuff in the drawers like yarn and small gift boxes. In the hanging file are I have used hanging files but I've put things in them like tissue paper for wrapping purchases, order slips for custom jobs I need to do, transfer paper kits, shrinkydink sheets, my silkscreening sheets, stencils and templates, patterns, and one folder marked "Ideas" for all those pictures I cut out of magazines and catalogs and the sketches that I bring home that were done on the back of a placemat. You can even get hanging folders that are accordian style pockets if you wanted to store small flat items that might normally slip out the sides of a traditional hanging file folder.

Oh, I also use a magnetic metal strip that was sold at IKEA for kitchen storage of knives and utensils. I use them to hold my scissors, pliers, metal rulers and other tools. BUT beware, if you put a metal tool on a magnetic strip for a little while the tool will become magnetized. This means that anything that responds to a magnet will now respond to your tools, this can be rather annoying.

My soldering station is a kitchen butcher block island from IKEA with a custom made top by my hubby that is fire resistant and easy to clean. Two of my other tables are narrow butcher block topped sideboards intended for use in a dinning room. Again these are from IKEA (yep, I love that place!). They have three drawers right under the top and then two shelves below. I store all kinds of stuff on the shelves and in the drawers. One table has my grinder and my ring saw on top, they are just deep enough to hold these tools without wasting a lot of space. The other one has lots of organizers on top and my paper cutter. There's even room on the floor below them for more storage.

Now if I could just take the time to clean up some of my mess in my studio and make even better use of all that space! :D

Jen

TheBlueBetween
03-18-2007, 11:05 AM
this is such a great thread -I haven't visited it in a long time but it's nice to come back to it - everyone has such great ideas - and inspiring spaces. Thanks for the tips CJ & Jen too!

PS. If you haven't rated this thread, please do!

Wakingdream18
03-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Here is mine! We just moved here a few months ago and this was the first thing I did.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2007/89655-100_4862.JPG
My fiance and I built the table (cheaper than buying one) I stained it and he drew the Celtic designs on it. The top has a clear piece of plexi glass with a big piece of gridded posted board under it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2007/89655-100_4881.JPG

The "scrapbook cart" I got at Fred Meyer (like Kmart in Oregon) while it was on sale and the little cabinet is one of those balsa wood ones you find at craft stores in the unfinished wood section. I stained them all to match. The scrapbook cart fits pretty much all of my stuff in it, I was really surprised.
I piled the newest library books I got (im taking a class on glass bead making in a few weeks :D) but I do have a book shelf to the left of my desk I just havent got my books mailed out to me yet.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2007/89655-100_4994.JPG

I actually put my herbal remedies and concotions in the cabinet. Though I will be using the hangy things for finished pieces and the tree on top of it has some finished stuff on it as well.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2007/89655-100_4865.JPG

I have bird feeders (though they tend to feed the squirrels more often) outside my window I managed to learn the name of every bird that has come by. They are a welcomed distraction :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2007/89655-squirrel.JPG

Of course when Im working on projects its a whole lot messier. I guess now that I started posting Im going to have to start putting my work up too :)

*CJ
03-18-2007, 02:13 PM
CJ, I completely agree with you about looking in unexpected places for storage solutions. When I see storage solutions in the crafts store, I'm always amazed at how... well, flimsy they are. That's why I look in "guy" places... a tool pouch or a work bucket or a tackle box or an organizer that ripped or broke or chipped after a few rugged uses (crafts shows aren't for the faint of heart, after all :lol: ) wouldn't be tolerated!

Matter of fact I just picked up a glass jar with a metal lid, the kind that you'd expect to find penny candy in on the counter at the general store. I'm planning on putting a sample of each of the different colors of glass cabs I have in my inventory in this jar, yep, it's going to look like a jar full of colorful hard candy. BUT I'm actually going to put a dot of liquid correction fluid (AKA White-Out) on each cab and write a number on it. The numbers will correspond to the drawers and bins that I store the rest of the cabs in. Then I can take the "candy jar" to shows, people can pick you just the color they want for a custom piece and I can easily write down the reference number on the order so that when I get home I know exactly what color they want!!!! Oh, EXCELLENT, Jen! :clap: And it's a great marketing idea, too... we all know that if folks handle the lush cabs they're more likely to want one, or two... or 27.

I picked up some 5" wide, 1.5" deep magnetic containers at IKEA, they're like the small spice jars that they sell that you can stick to your fridge only bigger. They still have the clear tops that you can see thru, they're just wider and not as deep. Then we found metal strips at IKEA that were sold with magnets to be used as message centers. Hubby mounted them on the wall vertically (I think most people would put them up horizontally) on a narrow wall in my studio and I stuck the tins filled with small lots of odd colored cabs onto the strips. Now I have great storage that's easy to reach in a space that might otherwise go unused AND a cool colorful "art piece" on my wall!!You could duplicate this system w/ the stainless steel containers from Woodcraft.com or the aluminum containers from AS&S, a piece of sheet metal from a home improvement store and a pack of adhesive magnetic strips from the office supply store.

Or, try a magnetic paint (http://www.kling.com/magneticpaintindex.html)... I think this might work well even on a flat, horizontal surface, just so the Satan Kitties From Hell (:cat: ) don't knock over yet another bead container.

Oh, I also use a magnetic metal strip that was sold at IKEA...

My soldering station is a kitchen butcher block island from IKEA...

Two of my other tables ... Again these are from IKEA ...

(yep, I love that place!). And I'm sure they love you, too, Jen! :D

-CJ

*CJ
03-18-2007, 02:33 PM
The "scrapbook cart" I got at Fred Meyer (like Kmart in Oregon) while it was on sale and the little cabinet is one of those balsa wood ones you find at craft stores in the unfinished wood section. I stained them all to match. The scrapbook cart fits pretty much all of my stuff in it, I was really surprised.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2007/89655-100_4994.JPG
That's a tabouret unit and I looooove them because the drawers are shallow enough for me to store my round stacking bead containers on their sides --so I can see all my beads ~~yummy~~-- and if I line the drawers with terry cloth, the containers don't roll around, either.

I think my dream work station would be two of these with a desk top across 'em... I prefer having "pieces" rather than a single worktop unit as I'm tall and if my chair is tall enough to accomodate my 6' frame, then I usually can't get m'legs under the desktop of single unit pieces. :crying:

-CJ

celticheart
03-18-2007, 04:28 PM
My workspaces-----this does not include where I paint and draw---that's another world!!:lol:
This mess is a place!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2007/94909-hammered_jewerly_013.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2007/94909-hammered_jewerly_014.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2007/94909-hammered_jewerly_016.jpg

Okay, so the rest of the house is very neat!!! I love working in a so called mess---okay, a mess; my creativity is more at home. My art studio is waaay different----every brush, pen, pencil, all my papers and sketchboooks, and other mediums---chalk, photography, etc are all in perfect order! Go figure.

CC

beebluefern
03-18-2007, 08:47 PM
I love seeing everyone's creative space! Just imagine all the work done in all these places!!!
I moved around my studio today-put up most of the painting things and drawing things like pastels and got my knitting gear in some semblance of order. I have plans to paint this room and a friend is covering the cusion for another chair to go in here as well as make some new curtains for me....at the moment the colourscheme for the room is a nice warm cream, dark chocolate and a pinky peach. The studio is a large room so the one dark wall will not be overpowering. I guess you can see that I don't have any artwork up...except my design sketches...for now and until I can get the walls painted. I didn't take a pic of it, but the wall next to the bookcase in the work area photo (Photo#1) is a double closet...so once I get that cleaned out properly, I can store my stash of yarn and other goodies in there. Right now it has canvases and drawingpads and portfolios and bits and bobs of this and that. But, I'm happy with this set up-it's very comfy cozy and perfect for knitting and designing. All I need now is a coffee machine and I'm good for life!:lol:
WORK AREA #1
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2007/34609-designworkarea.jpg

KNITTING AREA #2
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2007/34609-designknittingarea.jpg

Kerensamere
03-19-2007, 12:30 PM
OH, Pam, something that might be useful for your yarn stash are those crate systems that they sell for kids and college students to use in their rooms. You get the side panels and junction pieces to build your own cubes or crates and then you can attach them together. I used to use some as part of my display system a couple years ago but I put them together so that the bottom space was a triangle and the cubes were actually like diamonds (hope this makes sense), basically I would build a cube/crate, then put it on it's point and build the other crates next to it so that they would hold themselves up. This gives you a diamond shaped storage area to put your yarns in. I had several knitters go crazy over my display for that very reason. I found my crate systems at the drug store, kmart, walmart, etc.

Maybe you can use that kind of thing in your closet?

Jen

beebluefern
03-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Great idea Jen!!! I am ready to add to my stash but don't really have a place for it and that would be ideal and probably a lot more cost friendly too!!! What I like is that I can add lots and lots of yarn to a system like that~

Kerensamere
03-19-2007, 03:08 PM
Great idea Jen!!! I am ready to add to my stash but don't really have a place for it and that would be ideal and probably a lot more cost friendly too!!! What I like is that I can add lots and lots of yarn to a system like that~

Yes, it definately supports a habit! :lol:

Jen

OregonRain
03-20-2007, 02:35 AM
Well I thought I would post. Better late than never right?
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/OregonRain/showbox.jpgthis is the box I show pieces in. right now it is full as is my lamp (I love mag clasps!)
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/OregonRain/findings.jpg
these are my findings
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/OregonRain/mymess.jpg
this is where I work. I have a room that I could work in but it is too far from my family.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/OregonRain/Kaylie6.jpg
this is the youngest reason I don't work upstairs by myself
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/OregonRain/mytower.jpg
this is my tower
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/OregonRain/nobeadsoup.jpg
this is how I keep from having bead soup!:wave:

TheBlueBetween
06-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Ok, I finally have a studio again! It's not totally set up yet, I need more storage and shelves and art on the walls and trim painted and stuff... but it might stay this way for a little while at least.

Here is my studio - a garden shed in my back yard.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2007/27814-skirt.jpg

Here is my beading side, not totally organized yet, but workable:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2007/27814-beadingside.jpg

And here is the side where I melt glass:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2007/27814-meltingside.jpg

Andee
06-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Pam - it's so beautiful, and I'm happy for you that everything's in place finally! :clap: What a perfect little place! :) (I would love to come and play, all those tiny drawers full of beads are soooo inviting... :D)

Dawnt0721
06-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Pam - I LOVE it! Your own little sanctuary. I'm so happy that it's workable now!

MadameKali
06-22-2007, 12:53 PM
I loove that beading area. And I can't see very much detail, but I'm pretty sure I love that necklace that you have draped on that bust. :)

TheBlueBetween
06-22-2007, 01:03 PM
thanks guys! Susie, there are 4 necklaces on that bust - the long one is one Shirley made for me for one of the exchanges and one is my robin's egg one with her bead and the other two are my biggest chunkiest necklaces - they do make quite a statment all together! But really I want one of those glass display cases with several busts in it to show off things ;)

MadameKali
06-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Ohhh.. it looked like one asymmetrical creation.

Hmmmm.... lol

And now you have me thinking about how difficult it would be to create your own glass display. Bobby and I are do-it-yourselfers.. we like the process of figuring it out almost as much as the acquisition.

Gypsy*
06-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Pam, that is wonderful! You have realized your dream! (At leat one of them!) What will you name your little hide-a-way? Every sanctuary has a name!

beebluefern
06-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Fabulous space Pam! Congrats on getting it done and so workable~Hey, I want a bust like that for my workspace. Where did you find it???

TheBlueBetween
06-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Fabulous space Pam! Congrats on getting it done and so workable~Hey, I want a bust like that for my workspace. Where did you find it???

Mona came from ebay, she was only about $20 if I remember right, I got her a couple of years ago. She used to wear a poncho that I knitted... I'll have to find that and cover her up again, she is pretty modest after all ;) Plus the poncho is perfect colors for my studio!

Sylvia, I don't know! Frank keeps calling it the Pimped Out Shed... but that's not cutting it for me ;)

gbot
06-22-2007, 11:33 PM
Pam, Thanks for showing pictures of the inside of your studio. It looks like such a cool place to work in, I envy you.

prncsk
07-02-2007, 11:30 PM
I just found this thread and thought I would post a picture of my beading area. If you look really close (bottom left) you'll see my buddy Cleo hanging out under the table.

Karen

rocky_mountain_girl
07-03-2007, 03:37 AM
I wouldnt dare show anyone my work bench/disaster area. I'm too new here. Once you all know and love me, perhaps I'll be brave and ready for all of your unconditional love. But until then, NO WAY !