PDA

View Full Version : Bead in a bead challenge

snootyvixen
03-27-2004, 11:05 AM
I had this really neat idea for a bead, and I've tried and tried and I can't do it!

I can make a bead in a hollow bead, I can make a duckie bead, and I can make a hollow egg ... I just can't seem to be able to make a duck in a hollow egg bead!

So ----- on that note ------ :music: (or THAT note LOL) - your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to make a duck in an egg. No deadline, no keeping it for a particular date, just do your best and post your results.

I think it's an original idea, but you never know!

Vikki

saucy
03-27-2004, 02:10 PM
That's pretty original. I'll give it a go. I've never made a duck bead so that should be fun.

Foofaraw
03-27-2004, 02:39 PM
hmmmm, I'll give it a try. I've been dreaming of square beads inside round beads and round beads inside square beads. Guess I'll try them all now. Darn no torch time today, but tomorrow, yes tomorrow!

McDuck
03-27-2004, 04:20 PM
Oh it sounds exciting! And once you get all these duckies in eggs just ship them out here to McDuck! I am scupturely challenged. :rolleyes:

Virginia L.
03-27-2004, 10:46 PM
WOW, this really would be a challenge for me...I have no idea on how to make a hollow bead...anyone know a link??? I am sure I can pull the ducky off though, God has been very kind to me in the animal department, (a moment of silence to thank HIM for the little animals!!!) Sounds like a really fun challenge, please post your failure, so I won't feel bad about the first ones I do, OK??? - God Bless - Virginia L.

Tink
03-27-2004, 10:51 PM
Ok! I'll give it a go as soon as I'm feeling better. What a cool idea!

snootyvixen
03-27-2004, 11:16 PM
WOW, this really would be a challenge for me...I have no idea on how to make a hollow bead...anyone know a link??? I am sure I can pull the ducky off though, God has been very kind to me in the animal department, (a moment of silence to thank HIM for the little animals!!!) Sounds like a really fun challenge, please post your failure, so I won't feel bad about the first ones I do, OK??? - God Bless - Virginia L.

I'd love to post my failure, but I'm afraid he's gone to the great dumpster in the sky!

I found this tutorial (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=) in the glass class 101 thread- it may be of some help to you! Of course, if you have Corina's "Spotlight on hollows" it goes into more detail :D

Vikki

dread
03-27-2004, 11:54 PM
So should this duck be loose inside the hollow bead ?
or attached to the base but free from the walls of the hollow bead ?

Sounds interesting .......

DebbieSue
03-27-2004, 11:57 PM
I need more practice with hollows. I've never tried a bead in a hollow yet, so this should be very interesting...

Debbie

dread
03-27-2004, 11:59 PM
I've not really successfully had a nice hollow but this might help in the practice category

snootyvixen
03-28-2004, 12:01 AM
So should this duck be loose inside the hollow bead ?
or attached to the base but free from the walls of the hollow bead ?

Sounds interesting .......

Loose as a goose! *snicker*

I just can't get it- I can make nice egg-shaped hollows, and I can make a round bead in a bead. I can make itty bitty ducks, but I just can't get the whole darned thing together! LOL!

Vikki

Tink
03-28-2004, 12:11 AM
I want to see an egg shaped hollow!!!!!

snootyvixen
03-28-2004, 12:33 AM
I want to see an egg shaped hollow!!!!!

Momz has my *nice,big*egg, but here are my first two - 18mm & 25mm- the larger one is a little thick around the top!

Sorry for the krappy photo - it's just a quickie snapshot

Vikki

Virginia L.
03-28-2004, 12:49 AM
Hi, again, the link did not work, but I just thought of something to do, so if that does not work, I will go hunting in the threads...I am with Tink, that is Saint Tink....I cannot torch till I feel like a human again. I did 101.7 yesturday and peaked at 102.7 today, just 100.6 now, so maybe it is on its way out...yuck. I hurt placed I did not know I had...my back aches, what in the world hurts your back and gives you a temp like that..not where the kidneys are either....anyway, hope to give my idea a good try, maybe tomorrow - God Bless - Virginia L.

snootyvixen
03-28-2004, 01:08 AM
Hi, again, the link did not work, but I just thought of something to do, so if that does not work, I will go hunting in the threads...I am with Tink, that is Saint Tink....I cannot torch till I feel like a human again. I did 101.7 yesturday and peaked at 102.7 today, just 100.6 now, so maybe it is on its way out...yuck. I hurt placed I did not know I had...my back aches, what in the world hurts your back and gives you a temp like that..not where the kidneys are either....anyway, hope to give my idea a good try, maybe tomorrow - God Bless - Virginia L.

Yeouch! Hope you girls feel better soon!

You can find the link if you go to the "Glass Class 101" sticky link (not sure which forum it's in! Maybe technical?)

Vikki

Tink
03-28-2004, 01:17 AM
Those are SO nice, Vikki!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since I'm in no shape to actually work on one tonight, I thought I would offer some general hollow bead tips for anyone who is interested:

Try to make the walls as thin as possible. You can do this by laying down thin glass to begin with, use mashers to squish them flatter, or "spin them out" the way furnace folks do bowls
Your inside bead and outside bead don't have to be the same glass. A brightly colored Effetre bead inside a clear boro bead can prevent "wall cracking" which plagues most new hollow-makers
Though you want thin walls, it can be helpful to make a small "regular" bead as the base for each wall
Build your walls straight. Don't curve them towards each other. That's just another thing to try to balance while you're doing this. With straight walls, you can more easily tell if the two walls are even
The radius of each disk should be equal to the distance between the two disks
Use a hand-held marvering tool to coax the walls toward each other. Heat one disk until it is movable but not melting. Put the marvering tool against the disk at an angle and spin the mandrel, transforming the disk to a cup like shape
Nudge the cupped walls towards each other. It's not necessary that they completely meet. Once they are relatively close, move the bead to the back flame and get the end of your clear rod molten. Use the molten glass to QUICKLY and in one fluid motion swipe the open seam. Repeat as necessary to seal the circumference of the bead
Before you make the final "sealing swipe", carefully blow into the one opening you still have while you are heating the end of your clear rod. Swipe and seal. The purpose of this is to cool the air inside the bead which will allow for greater expansion of the molecules, giving you, potentially, a puffier bead
Finally, when heating/puffing your sealed bead, try to focus your flame on the middle third of the bead (the apex). The heat will travel where it needs to from there, and this gives you a lot more control. When the bead looks pretty even, keep spinning the mandrel and take the bead out of the flame. Keep spinning until the bead sets up, then flash in the flame and pop it into the kiln

snootyvixen
03-28-2004, 01:24 AM
To adapt Tink's instructions to make your egg shape (and believe me, the walls in my "good" one were a great deal thinner than the ones I photographed!) you need to build your disks further apart, which doesn't help in the "keep the whole thing heated" department!

To get the egg shape, once your hollow is made, you have to play around with the mandrel angle to get to bulge more at the fatter end without losing the pucker at the top - make sense?

Vikki

Tink
03-28-2004, 01:27 AM
I think I'll try one with a boro outer bead first...

Thanks for the eggie instructions!

dread
03-28-2004, 01:38 AM
I had that flu last week while in Vegas - put a damper on the trip and ended up missing Deb Crowleys classes - a real bummer -
Rest, drink lots of fluids the high temps dry you out. Other people I know (that had it at work and infected me went to Dr and got something called z-pack - it knocks it out in a few days)

Virginia L.
03-28-2004, 01:40 AM
I think I might stick with just a duck in a hollow bead, and feel lucky if it comes out...maybe then I will try an egg shape...I took 800mg of motrin and my temp went up, what's up with that!!!, I sure wish I had some aspirin...hope you are not as sick as I am...by the way Tink, why are we online instead of in bead, that is what I want to know - hope you are much better soon - that tutorial gave me a great picture of what to do - God Bless - Virginia L.

StefaniBeads
03-28-2004, 05:36 AM
Hmmm.....do I want to try this again?? Maybe....

Here's my one and only attempt at a "bead within a bead". This one is a true "FAG" (Failed Attempt at Greatness) When it collapsed I got mad and squashed it, but I went ahead and annealed it anyway! LOL!! :D

nursekatie
03-28-2004, 07:25 AM
Hmmm...sounds fun. I have made a loose bead inside a hollow bead...(sorry..dont' have a pic, but I can get one) (Tink saw it....she is my proof...LMAO) This would be a REAL challenge!! I will give it a try this week!!

Virginia L.
03-28-2004, 12:31 PM
WOW, I am sick and it has nothing to do with this temperature, did anyone notice that I am so bead obsessed that I was wondering why I was not in bead instead of bed...boy, this addiction seeps into everything...I really WAS not so sorry I was not in bed, but so sorry I was too sick to be making beads - God Bless you all - Virginia L.

KetchikanSculptor
03-28-2004, 12:56 PM
Can't wait till I can do this too!

The squished bead is still purdy!

Hope everyone that is under the weather gets better real soon!

Joellen
03-28-2004, 06:17 PM
Well, I tried this earlier today without much success. I was really disappointed, because I thought it was a terrific idea.

My first attempt with a Moretti ducky and Lauscha clear hollow was a miserable failure. I may have started the disks too far away from each other, and while trying to melt the hollow smooth, the clear touched the duck in several places. I also wonder if the heat necessary to melt the hollow would have melted the details on the ducky, anyway. I didn't put this one in the kiln, and looking at it afterwards, I can see orange spots where the feet and beak were, but it's all just a round ducky-colored blob in there.

The next one I tried was a boro ducky with a Lauscha clear hollow. Anyone who has worked with the boro crayon colors, at least the yellow and orange, will know why this was difficult -- these colors boil like CRAZY. I did finally make a tiny, tiny boro ducky and formed a clear hollow around it, but again, when melting the hollow smooth, the walls touched the ducky in several places. I put it in the kiln anyway, but I'm guessing having the boro and Lauscha touch in this way would be structurally unstable, even if the bead came out good (which it won't).

I can't wait to see other people's attempts. The picture I had in my mind of how these would look is so cool, I hope everyone else is able to do it!

- Jo

Jacinthe
03-28-2004, 06:44 PM
I made a cute little duckie, and surrounded him with lauscha clear egg, but I think the hen house was too hot for the little fellow, cause I think he kinda got all melted into a blob *sigh* I'll post him tomorrow.

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah

Tink
03-28-2004, 07:27 PM
Hmmm...sounds fun. I have made a loose bead inside a hollow bead...(sorry..dont' have a pic, but I can get one) (Tink saw it....she is my proof...LMAO) This would be a REAL challenge!! I will give it a try this week!!

I sure did! And it was ROCKIN'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read an article somewhere.... In Glassline maybe? Anyway, you can make your center bead, then anneal it, leave it on the mandrel and dunk it in bead release and THEN build the outer bead around it. Sounds interesting, eh?

I've done some fairly complex raised bumpy dot beads as my center bead before, and didn't have any trouble keeping the details from melting. Maybe you're getting the whole shebang too hot? Just heat the apex of the outer bead to puff it up...

These aren't duckies, for sure, but they're two BIA Beads I did this week:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Mar-2004/10179-bghollow1.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Mar-2004/10179-rhollow.jpg

Joellen
03-28-2004, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the tips, Tink. I think I might have used too much glass when sealing the hollow, and the walls became too thick to make it around without touching the duck. If I try another one, I'm going to use a pale Moretti transparent rather than the Lauscha clear, because the Lauscha melts slower and is a little stiffer than Moretti. Maybe I could get thinner side walls that way.

I'm glad you posted your photos, because I was worried that my big hollow looked out of proportion to the tiny ducky, but yours look just fine that way.

- Jo

Orca
03-28-2004, 07:49 PM
I had a perfectly fine duckling in a filigrana hollow. Really.....would I lie??:evil: So wouldn't you know it, when I removed him from the kiln this morning, he'd hatched. Sort of partially hatched.
His webbed feet are still inside the bead, but he seems sort of stuck. And if he looks alarmed, it's with good reason. This duck get's no more help from me.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. And the first person who believes this story, can pm me with their address, and they will be the proud owner of this pathetic little Mallard.....or whatever the h*** it is!!

(And I'll keep trying to make one that hasn't "hatched")

Tink
03-28-2004, 08:01 PM
Sherry, he is SO DARN CUTE I CAN'T STAND IT!!!! He has incredible personality!!!!

But what I want to know is how you use the filigrana for hollows without it devitrifying! That drives me NUTSO! I love the look, but I end up with ugly devit spots on them.

thewildbunny
03-28-2004, 08:05 PM
That hatced duckling is soooo adorable. But how did it happen?

Tink
03-28-2004, 08:05 PM
I think I might stick with just a duck in a hollow bead, and feel lucky if it comes out...maybe then I will try an egg shape...I took 800mg of motrin and my temp went up, what's up with that!!!, I sure wish I had some aspirin...hope you are not as sick as I am...by the way Tink, why are we online instead of in bead, that is what I want to know - hope you are much better soon - that tutorial gave me a great picture of what to do - God Bless - Virginia L.

I was wondering the same thing, Virginia! I just don't feel sick enough to be in bed, but I don't feel well enough to do anything. I fussed around with my website a little today, but I won't be going anywhere near the torch, that's for sure.

Poop. I would almost rather be sick enough to sleep through it.

Patch
03-28-2004, 08:10 PM
I had a perfectly fine duckling in a filigrana hollow. Really.....would I lie??:evil: So wouldn't you know it, when I removed him from the kiln this morning, he'd hatched. Sort of partially hatched.
His webbed feet are still inside the bead, but he seems sort of stuck. And if he looks alarmed, it's with good reason. This duck get's no more help from me.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. And the first person who believes this story, can pm me with their address, and they will be the proud owner of this pathetic little Mallard.....or whatever the h*** it is!!

WOW :clap: :clap:
I still work very hard to do a very simple bead, I just can imagine the work in that superb duck who seems to be floating over the water. Bravo!.
Patch

Tink
03-28-2004, 08:12 PM
That hatced duckling is soooo adorable. But how did it happen?

I think when Sherry was working on him, the temperature was just right to initiate hatching. Then the kiln acted as an incubator. Isn't it cool?

;)

Orca
03-28-2004, 08:18 PM
The duckie will be flying off to Joellen, the first email to arrive! Thanks for the kind comments everyone!!

And Tink, about the filigrana devit devils.....for some reason the pale pastels don't seem to be as bad. When I do disks or spirals, I'm okay as long as I keep doing one wind, if that makes any sense, so not starting and stopping. Then just blob on some clear as soon as you remove the rod from the bead.

This works for me about 50% of the time!

KetchikanSculptor
03-28-2004, 08:18 PM
I LOVE that lil duckie... he is so totaly sweet!!!

St. Tink... that is cute!

Joellen
03-28-2004, 08:22 PM
Woo hoo!! I can't believe I was the first! I'm so excited; I never win anything!

He is just too cute for words. I can't imagine how you got him on there like that.

Thanks so much!

- Jo

snootyvixen
03-28-2004, 08:24 PM
But what I want to know is how you use the filigrana for hollows without it devitrifying! That drives me NUTSO! I love the look, but I end up with ugly devit spots on them.

Oh MAN!! Is THAT what's happening? I made a hollow with filigrana and I thought that it must have got too hot in the kiln and picked up the imprint of the fiber blanket or something!

Here's a couple of filigrana hollows - it's the EDP/turquoise one that has the patches on it.

Vikki

Lara
03-28-2004, 09:03 PM

Too funny Sherry. Your duckling is very quite. Great egg bead too.

Lara

KetchikanSculptor
03-28-2004, 09:59 PM
Woo hoo!! I can't believe I was the first! I'm so excited; I never win anything!

He is just too cute for words. I can't imagine how you got him on there like that.

Thanks so much!

- Jo

CONGRATS Jo!!! He is so cute!

thewildbunny
03-28-2004, 10:13 PM

Thanks so much!

- Jo

Lucky you, Jo! :D

Jacinthe
03-29-2004, 03:58 AM
Here, my duckie in his egg!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2004/20424-29mar3.jpg

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah

DebbieSue
03-29-2004, 09:54 AM
OMG! Somebody actually pulled it off! Cool!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Debbie

Tink
03-29-2004, 10:32 AM
It's WONDERFUL! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really gotta get on the torch today....

snootyvixen
03-29-2004, 11:32 AM
Wooohooo!!!! You did it Sarah!!! Well done, I"m impressed!

Your prize is ................ a visit from Mike Frantz!!!! (*snicker*)

Vikki

DebbieSue
03-29-2004, 12:29 PM

Vikki

Giggle!

Jacinthe
03-29-2004, 01:28 PM
Wooohooo!!!! You did it Sarah!!! Well done, I"m impressed!

Vikki

But... But... But... :evil: I'm doing a happy dance!

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah

Virginia L.
03-29-2004, 02:00 PM
But... But... But... :evil: I'm doing a happy dance!

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah

Don't you mean, I am doing a happy dance????? His beard and hair are PINK at the roots now don't ya know??? I know you KNOW Sarah. I have met him briefly Sarah, even with pink hair, he won't be scary - God Bless - Virginia L.

dread
03-29-2004, 08:28 PM
Well here is my first attempt at a duck in a hollow
By the end of the evening I was doing hollow beads so much better - thank you for the challenge -but being the first bead this poor duck looks like he is in a diving mask - he is partially hollow though

O well next time

DebbieSue
03-29-2004, 08:48 PM
By the end of the evening I was doing hollow beads so much better - thank you for the challenge -but being the first bead this poor duck looks like he is in a diving mask - he is partially hollow though

O well next time

Kind of looks like a martian in a spaceship! LOL! I think he is very cute though!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Debbie

KetchikanSculptor
03-29-2004, 09:13 PM
DUCKIES!!!!!!!!! Love them duckies!!

They are so sweet!

I love the one that looks like he is taking off for outerspace in his glass dome space ship! AND the other one looks like he should be in MY easter basket! LOL :D

Virginia L.
03-29-2004, 10:43 PM

O well next time

I LOVE IT...Boy, you have no idea how much I needed that...Boy, my ducky turned out ok, but my bubble was a bust right from the beginning...broke the bead release, so I put a bunch of dots on it and melted it the other way and MADE A MESS....Soooooo, I thought, since I was trying things I was incapapble of doing, I would just try to make one of those realy neat sqiggly plates that they blow in the hot houses, but off the end of my mandrel, I figured I could just spin it on there...remember I use a HOt Head!!!! Miniature, ya know!! Okay, it was a mess, but I will post it in the show and tell, so everyone can get a good laugh, its' bead release broke too and I almost ended up with it in my lap, but I did get a few laughts out of it...hopefully you will too when you see it in the show and tell tomorrow. I think that high temp took a FEW more brain cells. - My ducky made it though and I am gonna thry that coating it with bead release and doing the hollow bead over that...PRAY FOR ME, I THINK PRAYER IS REALLY NECESSARY...God Bless - Virginia L.

Virginia L.
03-30-2004, 04:23 AM
Ok, here are my ducky, my busted egg bead, and my Dale Chahuly, miniature plate failure, feel free to laugh all you wish - I did - God Bless - Virginia L.

Tink
03-30-2004, 09:43 AM
Bravo! That is exactly what this kind of challenge is all about! Moving outside your comfort zone and going with your glass on a journey to new and exciting places! I, for one, am very proud of you, Virginia!!!!!

snootyvixen
03-30-2004, 05:34 PM
Bravo! That is exactly what this kind of challenge is all about! Moving outside your comfort zone and going with your glass on a journey to new and exciting places! I, for one, am very proud of you, Virginia!!!!!

I second that emotion! That's why a challenge is a "challenge" - we're not challenging each other as much as we are challenging ourselves to do something different, something we don't sit down to the torch to do every day - and something that may (or may not!) take you to new levels.

I'm also proud of you, Virginia! I still can't make a rotten, freakin' duck in an egg but I'm going to keep trying until I get it right!

Vikki

DebbieSue
03-30-2004, 09:38 PM
I didn't even get a martian...just a blob! :rolleyes: Is this what you call a wonky honker? (I think it's a quarter-pounder!) The whole thing just collapsed on me...just as well, my duck started to melt with all the heat I was applying to the 2 sides as I tried to build them up.

Debbie

Virginia L.
03-30-2004, 10:06 PM
The ducky is now covered with investment, and awaiting his bubble tommorow, hopefully it will be better. I think I will try the mini plate thing again too, winding the glass further down the mandrel. If it comes out good enough, I can grind it off later. God Bless - Virignia L.