PDA

View Full Version : Coast view

dolors
03-27-2004, 03:08 AM
This is watercolor on 25 x 35 cm. Arches 300 grs. paper. I've painted this from an old photo I had. It is a beautiful spot in the Costa Brava. What I don't know how to paint is the mountain. There are pines on the rocks and I find them very difficult to do. Please comment.Thank you.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Mar-2004/7220-costa1b.jpg

JamieWG
03-27-2004, 07:23 AM
What a beautiful scene! Excellent rendering of the boats and the water. Pines are a very dark blue-green, and yours appear more of a yellow-green; perhaps this is the problem you see? I think the hill on the left could also benefit from some darker blue-greens. The effect, overall, is wonderful. I think it's remarkable that those big sailboats can get in so close to the shoreline. That water must be very deep. 'Looks like a lovely vacation spot.

Jamie

VeldaJ
03-27-2004, 09:38 AM
It looks to be a lovely spot, Dolors and overall you've done a very good job with it. Jamie is right about the hill on the left benefitting from some darker blue-greens. You've got a lovely feeling of sunlight streaming across from left to right (as viewed) - the brightness of the right hand hill and the reflectins all suggesting it so a few more darks on the left would enhance this.

As to the pines, yes they need to be somewhat more blue-green and bear in mind that they grow upwards in a tight spiky formation so some of that spiky feel should be apparent.

The boats make a beautiful focal point and make for a really pleasing picture.

dolors
03-27-2004, 01:29 PM
Thank you very much Joy and Jamie for looking and commenting my painting. I'm very glad you like it. I'll try to finish the mountains following your advices.

mairrca
03-28-2004, 09:52 AM
Beautiful spot. I love the boats and the water. Please post the finish painting....I would love to see. I also have trouble with evergreens.

Lorijo
03-28-2004, 08:46 PM
It looks very good so far, I agree with Jamie, all that should help. Lorijo

surreal
03-30-2004, 11:29 PM
This is watercolor on 25 x 35 cm. Arches 300 grs. paper. I've painted this from an old photo I had. It is a beautiful spot in the Costa Brava. What I don't know how to paint is the mountain. There are pines on the rocks and I find them very difficult to do. Please comment.Thank you.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Mar-2004/7220-costa1b.jpg
What a marvellous painting!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Marty C
04-07-2004, 10:22 PM
Hi Dolors,
A very beautiful scene, I'm jealous of those on the yachts. You have had some good suggestions about the mountain, "bluing" it up to suggest distance and introducing more vertical brushwork for the pines should really help.