PDA

View Full Version : Greens Pool and Elephant cove.

Gillette
03-27-2004, 01:42 AM
I discovered Greens Pool in 1970 a beautiful granite rock fringed lagoon in William Bay Denmark W.A. I never dreamed I would be so blessed as to be able to retire down here and live so near, I spend hours at the coast just sitting and watching the ocean, and of course taking hundreds of pics with my digicam.
I painted this 12 months ago when I had just started painting again,I painted in school, then when I was temporarily disabled in 1990, when I spent almost a year in a rehab hospital, then started again Feb.2003,I have had no formal, training,apart from a brief TAFE course on the use of different media.I have to read art books ,and now this fantastic site to learn what to do and what words mean.
I have painted many locally,from my photos, and will inflict them upon you periodically.
I like to paint the ocean especially in winter when we have big seas, I want to get more adventurous with colours, but find it hard to break away from reality.
I have also included Elephant cove which is in the same bay but over the headland on the left. The rocks really look like a herd of Elephants waiting to bathe.
Greens Pool, is on canvas board,acrylic,size 18x22ins and Elephant Cove is a block stretched canvas, acrylic, size 24x20ins.I use Jo Sonja artist quality paint.
Can someone tell me how to attach the larger pics that some people do please?, rather than the thumbnails.

JamieWG
03-27-2004, 07:27 AM
Thank you for sharing your story and beautiful paintings with us. I love your transparent blue-greens in the water. 'Looks just right.

To use the image uploader, click on the "Quick Links" menu above, and then on the Image Uploader option. Upload your resized image and copy/paste it into your post. If you are using a Mac, you won't be able to access the uploader from there; in that case, use the link I have in the sticky thread at the top of the forum page.

Jamie

VeldaJ
03-27-2004, 09:30 AM
These are lovely scenes, Gillette. I know just what you mean about trying to break away from reality - I have the same problem. I love the free, expressive pieces that some people do but whilst my brain would like to - my hands refuse to obey (LOL) Watercolour and acrylic photos are what I usually end up with.

My only tiny nit pick is with #2. The horizon line seems to be sloping. Is this just in the scan?

bairam
03-27-2004, 03:23 PM
I can see why it's called Elephant Cove. Those rock do look like backs of elephants. I love the colors in this one also.

Very nice.

Gillette
03-28-2004, 03:29 AM
Thankyou, Jamie,Joy and Maria for your responses.
The horizon does look crooked, sorry it's my poor photography, I always have to crop because not having a tripod my angles are not right,I had to rush out and check in case you were right, but it's ok, nice and straight, we don't want to empty the ocean just yet! Isn't it great that we can comment on each others work without fear of offence. You all sound delightful people.

mairrca
03-28-2004, 09:43 AM
Welcome Gillette. Lucky you to be near such a beautiful spot to paint. I too love the people and the information on this incredble site. Your paintings are beautiful but the Elephant Cove one is my favourite of them both. You have done an incredible rendering of the rocks and the colour of the water is calming. Do you use Photoshop to prep your images for uploading? If so you can rotate the canvas before cropping so that the horizon is level. Works really well for this wonky digi cam photographer. LOL. Take care and thanks for sharing.

Eugene Veszely
03-28-2004, 09:45 AM
G'Day Gillette :)

Nice work :)

re the thumbnails...you can change settings in your My WC! function up on the top left to view them as thumbnails or larger ...hope that helps :)

Lorijo
03-28-2004, 08:49 PM
I like your paintings, the colors look fine to me and you have caught the rocks beautifully. Lorijo :clap:

Gillette
03-28-2004, 11:37 PM
Thanks again, Marion ,no I don't have photoshop, I've just collected some prints I took with my old Pentax and with my husband holding them upright, a great improvement, us óldies' have learned to improvise, without the benefit of all this marvellous new technology, but we're learning!.
'1Chameleon, thanks for the tip, I'll look into it,and Lorijo thank you also, you all say such nice things.

Marty C
04-07-2004, 09:51 PM
Hi Jane,
You really are blessed living in the Denmark area. It is one of the most beautiful parts of WA with the hills and Karri forests and a truly spectacular coastline. You could paint here for twnety years and never do the same scene twice! I know Green's Pool well and I think you have done a wonderful job on both, your rocks in particular are very fine. Looking forward to more wonderful scenes from the south.

Gillette
04-07-2004, 11:34 PM
Thank you Marty
You really are a great incouragement to me, in fact all of you,it is a dream come true to be able to paint, I've longed to do it ever since I left school.Yes the beauty of this area is so stunning, I spent much of last weekend taking photos of the ocean and surrounds. I envied you being at the Margaret River Masters with that enormous surf, I wanted to drop everything and hitch up the van and head across, if it ever happens again I'll be there!