PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Cub WIP

Maryl Lehman
03-26-2004, 09:55 PM
Hi everyone!

This is a WIP (or should I say, HIDI---"How I did it"!) of a tiger cub & dragonfly I painted for an airbrush demonstration I did recently. I thought you might be interested in seeing it. I had it posted in the "Airbrush Art Gallery, progress images", but no one was finding it there, so if you're interested in seeing it, please click on the link below and it will take you to it. Thanks!

~Maryl

Click Here!!! (http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/browse_progress2.php?userid=38115&proj_id=661)

Penny220
03-26-2004, 11:05 PM
This is great, I'm sorry I missed it before. Thanks so much for posting it. What brand of paints do you use?

Penny

Maryl Lehman
03-27-2004, 04:04 AM
Hi Penny! Thanks for checking it out! I'm sorry you missed it before, too---but then everyone did! :( I use RM Urethanes, and also some House of Kolor. I can mix them together with no problem. :)

~Maryl

Penny220
03-27-2004, 08:12 AM
I've never had any problems mixing them together either and I agree they put the best airbrush acrylics to shame. I am envious that you have found a way to spray them in your house, that's why I don't use them for illustrations. How are you getting your toner colors? I do one of two things, I either go down to the body shop that has their own paint mixing system and pour what I want straight from the can but they also use the most expensive paint out there (it is a joy to use though :clap:) OR I sit in the back office of a automotive store, flip through the books, look at the mixes and tell them what I want suptracted from the mix. I know HOK sells the toners but it's expensive to buy let alone to have it shipped.

hinddee29
03-27-2004, 12:08 PM
Hi Maryl,

Yep I missed the post of this also. Where is this gallery at? I don't think this
set up is better that Sam put together.
Far as the tiger cub you know what I think of it. :) Wait what's that I see,
Oh never mind I don't see anything. ;).

Penny
Maryl has a good set up at her place. I think anyone airbushing should have
some kind of exhaust system like Maryl has.

Shane

Maryl Lehman
03-27-2004, 05:50 PM
Hi Penny! By "toner colors", do you mean tints, or just the regular colors that I use? (By the way, the urethanes I use are R-M Diamont--I think I forgot to tell you that). Tell you what I did-----I went to the local R-M automotive paint store and took my lacquer paints along with me, so they could match the colors I had been using all these years. They just matched them as close as they could. But the R-M colors I get are the primary colors, plus a few other colors that are hard to make. I mix most all my colors from these. The ones I buy are: white, black, red, blue, yellow, purple, and brown. I think that's it. I also buy House of Kolor Intercoat Clear SG-100, and I mix this with a lot of my colors to make them more transparent (like my lacquers were). My dad built me this fantastic exhaust system--in my basement. The vent is at the floor at my feet, and he put duct work from there, up to the ceiling and across the next room and out the window, using a high powered exhaust fan. Only problem here is that I freeze in the winter time because I have to open windows to draw the air through. So, I run a heater behind me to keep me from totally freezing! But it sure draws the fumes out! And in the summer, it draws the humidity in through the open windows! I guess I can't have the best of both worlds! :p

Shane, you didn't see a thing on that tiger cub painting---haha! (SHHHHHH!!!) By the way, to get to the Airbrush Art Gallery, go to the threads and find "Project Discussion: Airbrush Art Gallery" (except on my computer it reads, "Project Discussion: Airbrus..." and it's confusing to even know what it is. I think they should just have "Airbrush Art Gallery", and take it from there. But that's my opinion! Anyway, click on "Project Discussion...", then go to the bottom of that page where it says, "Additional Information" and "For more information on the project CLICK HERE!". Click there, then go to the bottom of that page and see "Your options for this project", then click on whatever you want to see. You can see the finished projects or the progress ones (that's where my cub is). Hope you can find it! By the way, I got my angel's face and skin painted, and also the kitten. I plan on painting more tonite if you want to come over after bowling is finished. I will start on my income tax tomorrow! Ugh!! So, I won't be painting again until probably Thurs. or Friday of next week.

Talk to you later!

~Maryl

Penny220
03-27-2004, 06:22 PM
LOL, I don't have room for an exhaust system so I only paint them in my shop which is about the same size as most houses so I guess I shouldn't complain, I just don't have a studio per say in the shop. YUCK, I hate dirt. I have a new project out there as we speak. It will be quite a while before I have my designs done for it but that's OK because it will take as long before it's primed and ready for me to paint. :) What you call Urethanes are commonly refered to as simply "base coats" because of the base coat/clear coat system. I use a variety of brands myself. Toners being the non-metalic mixables. Primaries are so hard to find, this is why I take if from the mix systems or have my own made up for me.

Let's see, my house is torn apart and FINALLY coming back together, leaving me a house full of molding to cut, stain, finish and install, I don't know how many ideas and canvases I have here (one on the board for over 2 months now untouched) two new canvases arrived yesterday and my new big project HUGE canvas out in the shop. :) I wish I had 20 minutes a day to sit let alone paint but I will get there in time. Speaking of which, I'm out to the shop to go get my miter saw.

Later,
Penny

Caterwallin'
03-27-2004, 08:02 PM
Geeze Maryl, did ya have to hide it from everyone? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This HIDI is just fantastic! I have no questions yet, but I will!

I'm jealous of Shane.

Sam

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-28-2004, 01:44 AM
I commented in the gallery but it is a good wip! The piece is very nice, too. I'm not critiqueing here but i was thinking the dragonfly wings would be more transparent and mesh-looking like that first pic of them. I've not tried to paint one so I don't know what i'd do to achieve that transparent look but yours is still cool! I'll do a color painting one day... you'll all see! MWAHAHHAHAHA (LOL!). I think I will do an arabian horse for my first color painting.

Great job Maryl.

Tim

Maryl Lehman
03-28-2004, 11:29 PM
Hi Tim,

Yeah, I agree about the wings----they should have been more transparent looking. I was working against the clock to get it done, and it didn't turn out the way I'd have liked, but I ran out of time. I should have left it like it was when I traced it on with white, and just gone over it lightly with a transparent white, or pearl, and left it at that. I just decided to leave it alone. Thanks for commenting!

~Maryl

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-29-2004, 12:35 AM
They look fine but you know how people are. heheh I expected something different but those whiskers on the cub are so clean. I can't do lines like that with an airbrush. Yeah, can't never could do anything. hehe

Well, still a great piece!!!

Tim

Maryl Lehman
03-29-2004, 02:03 AM
Sure you could do lines like that! It's not that hard. I suppose you'd do them with a "hairy stick" (as Sam calls it!)? The detail I've seen on WC! by using a paint brush, is absolutely amazing! I just have never put hand painting with airbrushing. I guess it's because I've done lots of vehicles, and I hate to see brush strokes like that on vehicles, mixed in with airbrushing----it just doesn't look good on bikes and such, to be able to see brush strokes. You want a smooth look, and brush strokes always stand out. When bikes (or vehicles) are clear coated, they need to look smooth as glass. (Of course, if you put 20 coats of clear on them, sanded between coats, you could probably cover them up! :) ) But then, that's just my feeble opinion. Everyone's got their own ideas about what looks good to them. ;)

~Maryl

Leaflin
04-05-2004, 11:18 AM
Maryl I'm so gad you brought this to our attention.
I have been 'out of the loop' here, and missed this completely. :o
As I said in the project.....

"WOW you've knocked my socks off Maryl!
This is fantastic!!!"

I don't know if you have had a chance to check out our "Article Publisher" (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Publisher/) here at WetCanvas, but this would make a great article for our forum!
I would be happy to answer any questions you have.

Maryl Lehman
04-06-2004, 04:07 AM
Thanks, Linda! You made my day! One thing I've wanted to ask you is----did I put my step-by-step in the right place? :confused: I have another one I'd like to post but don't want to put it there if it should be somewhere else.

I don't know what the "Article Publisher" is. I will have to check it out when I can think more clearly! It's 4 AM and I need to get to bed!!! Thanks for the info and I will check into it tomorrow if I have time. It's gonna be a busy day, so we'll see!

~Maryl