PDA

View Full Version : Which Angle of the Dangle?

TeAnne
03-26-2004, 07:03 PM
Hi everyone. Here is an ab for ya. I just don't know which way I want to have it. Please help me choose before I sign it? Or should I just toss it in the bin?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2004/1887-aa1.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2004/1887-aa2.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2004/1887-aa3.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2004/1887-aa4.jpg

TeAnne
03-26-2004, 08:11 PM
Should I also take out that green/yellow patch that looks hearty shaped? I think it's bothering me. :mad:

blumoon
03-26-2004, 08:30 PM
I am one minute late for the poll. But I like the fourth one. Definately vertical to my way of seeing. :)

TeAnne
03-26-2004, 08:39 PM
I am one minute late for the poll. But I like the fourth one. Definately vertical to my way of seeing. :)
eeeeeeeek! I thought I had 3 days on it. Sorry about that blumoon. Thanks for your vote here :)

Michael-Ann
03-26-2004, 08:57 PM
Hi TeAnne,

I am/was torn between #3 and #4... finally decided 4... It makes me think of a person thinking love thoughts...perhaps with a touch of sinusitis however :D I really like your colours a bunch.

TeAnne
03-26-2004, 09:38 PM
Hi TeAnne,

I am/was torn between #3 and #4... finally decided 4... It makes me think of a person thinking love thoughts...perhaps with a touch of sinusitis however :D I really like your colours a bunch.

Thanks Michael-Ann
Looks like #4 is the one.

Strange poll, I thought it was closed. I don't know what is going on.

abstractor
03-26-2004, 09:46 PM
Number 4 had my vote. Very nice work.

TeAnne
03-26-2004, 09:59 PM
Personally I go for #2. But I will go for what all the experienced abstractors vote for. Thanks everyone.

Michael-Ann
03-27-2004, 12:36 AM
Personally I go for #2. But I will go for what all the experienced abstractors vote for. Thanks everyone.

I am not trying to speak for anyone else, but I am surely far from an experienced abstractor so don't include me in that consensus...heck I dunno much about anything formal with regard to abstracts! If you think #2, then definitely #2 it should be TeAnne - you know way more about abstracts and certainly more about your own personal message - I say go with your instinct on this one.

TeAnne
03-27-2004, 01:25 AM
I am not trying to speak for anyone else, but I am surely far from an experienced abstractor so don't include me in that consensus...heck I dunno much about anything formal with regard to abstracts! If you think #2, then definitely #2 it should be TeAnne - you know way more about abstracts and certainly more about your own personal message - I say go with your instinct on this one.

Michael-Ann thanks for say that :) but I am not very experienced with abstract. This one is the first un-literal one I've really ever done. lol

TeAnne
03-27-2004, 02:07 AM
Hi everyone. Here is an ab for ya. I just don't know which way I want to have it. Please help me choose before I sign it? Or should I just toss it in the bin?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2004/1887-aa1.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2004/1887-aa2.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2004/1887-aa3.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2004/1887-aa4.jpg
I'm happy now. I went with #4.

amanda
03-27-2004, 02:14 AM
Just wanted to say that these colours are gorgeous, love it. Number four was the right choice.

fractalfingers
03-27-2004, 02:33 AM
the colors are nice, but it's lacking something.. which is implicit in your question of which way should you orient it. If you don't know that while your painting it.. it implies you don't know what your painting. Abstracts are not just a blob of colors and lines. just like a portrait, they have a right side up.. when done well, that right side up is obvious. IMO it is a very unhealthy habit to turn your paintings, and it is indicative of an unsuccesful work. that being said, your form and color have alot of good qualities, and you are not far off from unifying it. I had to vote trash it, not that I recomend you actually do so, but that there is no right side in this painting if you wern't aware of it while in the process.

TeAnne
03-27-2004, 03:00 AM
the colors are nice, but it's lacking something.. which is implicit in your question of which way should you orient it. If you don't know that while your painting it.. it implies you don't know what your painting. Abstracts are not just a blob of colors and lines. just like a portrait, they have a right side up.. when done well, that right side up is obvious. IMO it is a very unhealthy habit to turn your paintings, and it is indicative of an unsuccesful work. that being said, your form and color have alot of good qualities, and you are not far off from unifying it. I had to vote trash it, not that I recomend you actually do so, but that there is no right side in this painting if you wern't aware of it while in the process.
That's very interesting because when I was at university, I had a lecturer who told me that if you don't like it one way, turn it until you find what works. The blue abstract man here, I liked him in #2. which is the way it was painted btw. But I wanted others opinions as to what worked for them. Which angle held more power when they looked at it. After all, I believe it's 65% public opinion that determines if a painting is successful or not.
Okay, so I may not know exactly what I'm doing but I'm not making 'just blobs of colour' as you put it.
Thanks for your input though.

Thanks Amanda, good to see ya gf. :)

Tamana
03-27-2004, 08:33 AM
The moment I saw no. 1 I thought no. 4 before I even saw it. It's odd how you can see things before they're there.

VieSaintSo
03-27-2004, 11:17 AM
well well...i have to disagree with Fact all the way....in abstract I think it is imperative that you can turn it anyway, just, if for no other reason, to see how well it is balance....
it is often tells 4 fifferent stories and that, to me is the beauty of it.
My opinion and i share it!!
i enjoy number 4 a lot! well done Te Anne! :) and 2 also...

Pilan
03-27-2004, 11:47 AM
yep! #4 :clap: great colors and so happy and garden like feel to me.

AmyH
03-27-2004, 12:36 PM
I agree with, and disagree, with fract. I do think it is wise to turn your work. just like it is wise to view it in a mirror. view it anyway you can to render it unfamiliar. that way you can see what it is that you may want to alter much easier. it's always easier to see the flaws in the non familiar (like a stranger) than the familiar (like your child). I do agree that you should know how it is you want to hang it, ie, which way it is supposed to go. painting is a decision making process. the decisions are made based on what is occuring in the work and which way you want to push it. all of us are uncertain at times, and there is no harm in reaffirming our thoughts by questioning others...humans with no doubt are irritating ;) :angel:

Dahzl
03-28-2004, 04:28 AM
Hi TeAnne

I opted to vote for no.2 tho I liked no. 4 as well but 2 just said YES! to me - Reminds me of a figure and guitar, the heart shape below a shadow and/or play/comment on romantic music[ hoping that makes sense :D ]

Lovely, vibrant and interesting !

Cheers Dahzl :D

TeAnne
03-28-2004, 11:35 AM
I agree with, and disagree, with fract. I do think it is wise to turn your work. just like it is wise to view it in a mirror. view it anyway you can to render it unfamiliar. that way you can see what it is that you may want to alter much easier. it's always easier to see the flaws in the non familiar (like a stranger) than the familiar (like your child). I do agree that you should know how it is you want to hang it, ie, which way it is supposed to go. painting is a decision making process. the decisions are made based on what is occuring in the work and which way you want to push it. all of us are uncertain at times, and there is no harm in reaffirming our thoughts by questioning others...humans with no doubt are irritating ;) :angel:

Thanks Amy So true.
Thanks Dahlz, Pilan, Vie and Tam.

Actually Dahlz, I saw that too in #2 as I was painting it. I thought I had got rid of it. lol

fractalfingers
03-28-2004, 04:03 PM
That's very interesting because when I was at university, I had a lecturer who told me that if you don't like it one way, turn it until you find what works. The blue abstract man here, I liked him in #2. which is the way it was painted btw. But I wanted others opinions as to what worked for them. Which angle held more power when they looked at it. After all, I believe it's 65% public opinion that determines if a painting is successful or not.
Okay, so I may not know exactly what I'm doing but I'm not making 'just blobs of colour' as you put it.
Thanks for your input though.

Thanks Amanda, good to see ya gf. :)
I didn't mean to insiuate that your painting blobs on canvas.. I was just trying to make a point about some peoples method and view of abstract art. your painting has form and good composition. I suppose it's a valid idea that you can hang art any which way, not an idea I personally agree with. I do sometimes turn work while in the process to get other perspectives, occasionally i'll paint from the sides, but never upside down, but I always know which way it is intended to hang.

TeAnne
03-28-2004, 06:24 PM
I didn't mean to insiuate that your painting blobs on canvas.. I was just trying to make a point about some peoples method and view of abstract art. your painting has form and good composition. I suppose it's a valid idea that you can hang art any which way, not an idea I personally agree with. I do sometimes turn work while in the process to get other perspectives, occasionally i'll paint from the sides, but never upside down, but I always know which way it is intended to hang.

Well, I asked for an opinion, I got it and I'm happy. :) If we all did the same thing, then there would be no diversity.

Bill J
03-29-2004, 02:15 AM
my vote is for 4--super colors
bill

TeAnne
03-29-2004, 03:34 AM
my vote is for 4--super colors
bill
Thanks Bill :)
I listed it on ebay as #4. Plenty of lookers, no bids. *sigh*