PDA

View Full Version : The Stone thread

somk
03-26-2004, 06:21 PM
Just dropping an idea.. I saw a few designs around here with great cabs. Wouldn't it be interesting to share some picts ? I'm a hog for stones.. precious stones, semi precious stones, stones ! I'm sure I'm not the only one, right ?

I'll start with..opals. They drive you nut. I'll survive.
:p

A 21mm round boulder opal, a 14x10 Lightning Ridge and my all time favourites, satin flash opals (Hyalite) I collect them.. *sigh*

Keep'em coming ! Not only opals.. everything ! :clap:

beclectic
03-26-2004, 07:00 PM
Opal is my birthstone but I don't have anything approaching any of those. They are very beautiful.

Patch
03-26-2004, 07:08 PM
I love stones!!!! I don't have any that are *unmounted* except perhaps an agate cab somewhere in my stuff. I had a small sugilite I gave to a friend for him to make a special ring for me....still waiting.

Patch

DrPam
03-26-2004, 07:14 PM
God, those opals are *gorgeous*! I seem to be on a pearl kick. I would never have predicted it, but I have been just loving the way pearls work in jewelry lately, particularly colored pearls. Here are a couple of recent necklaces...

-Pam
http://www.pamarama.com

somk
03-26-2004, 07:27 PM
Pam> this white rose necklace is beautiful ! (I had a crush for the pendant you made for your sister - on your website :p) Yes, by all mean, pearls are splendid versatile things !

mistymade
03-26-2004, 10:49 PM
Woohoo! Another stone hog!:D I'm glad I'm not the only one, I seriously need a 12 step program! I'm convinced I will never have enough cabs/stones. My absolute favorite is ocean jasper. My other favorites are crazy lace agate, cal silica, and dinosaur bone and I LOVE tourmaline! Drooool

From left to right:
cal silica, crazy lace agate, ocean jasper, ocean jasper, dinosaur bone.

Charlee
03-27-2004, 12:34 AM
... and I LOVE tourmaline! Drooool

Oooh Misty, it's my favorite. I call them Trouble-ines because of the trouble I can get into buying them. ;)

Barrie
03-27-2004, 01:48 AM
Heh, heh, heh!! Misty! A gal after my own heart! Can you ever have enough stones? Ummmmm NO!!!!! I've seen the cal silica, but not in nice cabs, pretty cool ones you have there. Crazy lace has always been a favorite, and ocean jasper is just so amazing (along with the method they mine it!). Now tourmalines! That's my absolute weakness! Well, that and opals. Okay - tourmalines, opals and pearls!!! Can never have enough of any of them!! I'll dig out some photos later!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm STONES!!!!

beclectic
03-27-2004, 06:20 AM
Heh, heh, heh!! Misty! A gal after my own heart! Can you ever have enough stones? Ummmmm NO!!!!! I've seen the cal silica, but not in nice cabs, pretty cool ones you have there. Crazy lace has always been a favorite, and ocean jasper is just so amazing (along with the method they mine it!). Now tourmalines! That's my absolute weakness! Well, that and opals. Okay - tourmalines, opals and pearls!!! Can never have enough of any of them!! I'll dig out some photos later!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm STONES!!!!

I don't know how they mine Ocean Jasper but it sounds interesting. Could you tell us or give us a link? :cool:

Patch
03-27-2004, 07:06 AM
I've never seen Cal Silica before Misty. Where does it come from? The colors are so great. You have very nice cab shapes too.

To choose favorite stones is really not easy.. I would say rhodochrosite, bloodstone, citrine and sugilite... I love them all.

Patch

Charlee
03-27-2004, 09:55 AM
I don't know how they mine Ocean Jasper but it sounds interesting. Could you tell us or give us a link?

Isn't it just gorgeous stuff? :D

Here's (http://www.thegemshop.com/o_jasper2.htm) a place that has pictures.
And here's (http://www.scratchpatch.com/travel/tucson02.htm) a bit about the guy who found it in Madagascar. Scroll to the last paragraph.

Charlee

somk
03-27-2004, 09:56 AM
You have great items Misty ! :)) And I soooo agree with Tourmaline. So many colours. Cut, cabochons, beads whatever.. I especially drool on the blue/green ones*
Crazy lace, with plumes or druze parts.. lov'em all !
Mmmm Jasper Ocean ! All these stones with orbs in it are fun ! My, you have a BIG collection :)

Patch> Cal Silica, as weird as it seems, it really IS a natural stone and not a man-made one. I was baffled to when I saw this : http://www.skyesgems.com/about_gems/rainbowcalslica.htm

*off to take picts of new things :)*

beclectic
03-27-2004, 11:54 AM
Oh Misty you are too cruel! :) Now I am wanting to start acquiring cabs again. I have an ammolite piece around here somewhere, I love that stuff. That Cal Silica is fantastic. I don't know what I'd do with it. I tend to sit and admire beads and stones on my worktable and sometimes forget to actually do anything with them. It is amazing how relaxing something really pretty can be.

somk
03-27-2004, 12:14 PM
And 3 more for the road. Clear Agate & chrysocolla orbs, blue lace agate and marvellous bushes of red roses at dusk...
The cutter of the last 2 is the awesome Sam Silverhawk :clap: (small ad :) here is the link to his ebay gallery http://mygallery.timegonebuy.com/cgi-bin/ShowPrices.pl?SellerID=ssilverhawk this man sees through stones :p)

Patch
03-27-2004, 12:20 PM
WOW...that agate and crysocolla is fabulous...

Since I don't work with silver, all I can do with cabs is to wrap them with seed beads... not an easy task with irregular cabs but they are so neat... I might just get a few...

Patch

flynfire
03-27-2004, 01:39 PM
Beautiful stones! Isn't nature wonderful?! I admire those who cut their stone. And have the room to store all the rough they bring home! Hey that might make an interesting thread . . . Pictures of collections gone wide. I know someone who finally just covered their lawn with opened and unopened geodes and tumbled rocks. More storage, no more mowing!

There's a gem/mineral show nearby in a couple of weeks and I hope to find some exceptionally unique Marfa agate cabs.

mistymade
03-27-2004, 03:21 PM
Ohhh Somk! I LOVE Sam Silverhawk!!! His cuts are so artistic and fluid! And the polish he puts on his stones!!!!!!!!!!! Droooooooooooool He's my favorite and he is soooo nice!

He also sells through his website, I could really get into some serious debt buying his stones. I want them ALL I tell ya!LOL:D

http://www.samsilverhawk.com/gems1.html

Patch, when I first discovered cal silica I fell in love! It is truly unique! I would still buy it even if it was fake, I just love the colors too much to walk away!LOL:D I've seen some people list it on ebay as "calsilica" (one word) and "cal silica" (two words), so if you search for it, be sure to try both ways.

I absolutely love stones, they are the earth's own art! It just blows my mind to see the huge variety of colors and patterns.