PDA

View Full Version : "Can I help You?"

Caterwallin'
03-26-2004, 06:18 PM
Well, I'm sticking with the current Raccoon theme!

Maryl had sent me some awesome Raccoon references! I could not resist this little guy! In the reference, he is standing on his hind legs, leaning against........something with one hand and reaching towards Maryl with the other. I wanted to place him in a more natural setting so I opted for a hollow tree. I had some problems with the bark and I need to practice, otherwise the painting went smoothly!

The Photo is a little bright, but it's close enough!
It is 11" x 14" prepped canvas painted with Medea ComArt Transparent Airbrush colors and the white is Badger Air Opaque.
I used two different airbrushes, an Olympos SP-A Special and a Iwata HP-B.
On the fur I used a variety of Liner paintbrushes (Hairy Sticks) ranging from 0 to a 4.

This painting makes me smile! I have him in the living room and I chuckle every time I glance at him! To me he seems to be saying "can I help you!"

You can help me name this one, suggestions needed!

Enjoy!

Sam

Colorfast
03-26-2004, 08:44 PM
Colorfast Here:
How can ya resist a face like that? Sam, I guess ya realize I have been a little busy these days. I have not looked at the Forums in a while. This is just beautiful. I'm sure you have been busy as well. What else have ya been doin' lately? If it is anything like this, it must be awesome. Keep up the great work.
Later, Dave :) :) :)

kdkbrown
03-26-2004, 08:52 PM
Sam,

I'm glad to see you back posting your beautiful work. This is just adorable! "Honey I'm Home" seem fitting.

Have you tried airbrushing on Gessoed Masonite yet? I love the stuff.

Donna

Penny220
03-26-2004, 10:54 PM
You have outdone yourself on this one Sam. He's SO cute. Raccoons are the most inquisitive animals and you sure captured that with this painting! :clap:

Maryl Lehman
03-27-2004, 04:34 AM
Sam, I LOVE it!!! What he was doing when I snapped the pic, was----I was inside, with the window open taking the picture, when he came right up to me and stood on his hind legs with his "hands" on the window ledge, looking in my camera!!! He half-scared me with his boldness!! It was so funny! But anyhow, your painting is fantastic, to say the least! :clap: :clap: I'm glad you got those eyes done since I last saw him! haha

~Maryl

Caterwallin'
03-27-2004, 07:53 PM
Thanks Dave! Your awesome! And from what Penny tells me.......well.....she has a crush on ya! LOL!! I have been very busy! I do have several projects going at the moment including a Spider made of Papier Machettie, no that's Papeir Machae', grrrrrrrrrrr , Paper Mache',................I don't know! Ask Linda, she's the one who got me started on it! LOL!

Donna, thanks! Your awesome! An NO, I have not tried the masonite yet! But for you, I will, I mean right now. On my next painting. Do I have to gesso it myself or can I buy it already done? If I can buy it, is it expensive? If I have to do it myself, do I spray the gesso on or brush it? How do I fill in all of those little holes?

Thanks Penster! Your awesome too! (I'll send you my usual payment, big bills OK?)

And my wonderful Maryl, without you this little amusing fella would have never been. I could not tell if you were taking this photo from a window or a half door or what! He was very inquisitive and bold and was more than likely looking for a hand out! He's probably saying "err...hey lady, loose the camera and bring on the snacks" LOL!!! At any rate, I'm glad you liked him. He does look better with his eyes though! LOL! But, you know me, I don't like my paintings watching me while I paint!

Thanks Gang!

Sam

kdkbrown
03-27-2004, 08:57 PM
Sam,

I always purchase my masonite from Dickblicks. I just don't have the time or patience to gesso my own boards. Ready to Paint Gessoed boards and Hard Panel are fairly inexpensive. If cost is an issue try this http://www.dickblick.com/zz070/03/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=560. If you're looking for better guality, I recommend this http://www.dickblick.com/zz149/11/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=555. I know you like to easer so you might also check out Claybord Orginal Smooth by Ampersand. I think you will find Ampersand bord very smooth. Dickblick carries ungessoed hard panels and boards as well.

I hope this help. Please post your next painting and let me know how it worked for you.

Donna

Maryl Lehman
03-27-2004, 09:06 PM
Sam, I used tempered masonite on my tiger cub pic. I loved it! Tempered masonite is very smooth in the first place, so I sprayed it with Krylon primer, then Krylon flat white (1502---I buy it all the time!) It worked great and was very smooth. I didn't even have to sand it between coats. I don't know what Donna does, but this worked for me! Well, I guess I DO know what Donna does----she just answered you while I was writing this! :) To tell you the truth, I was wondering if there was such a thing as buying it already gessoed or painted! It would be so much easier!!! I'll have to check into just buying some.

~Maryl

Penny220
03-27-2004, 10:16 PM
I just bought two 16x20 clayboards from DickBlick, they said it would take around 7 days, it took 2 or 3 days. Cost was $20 something with the shipping for the two. I haven't opened the box yet but I was happy.

kdkbrown
03-27-2004, 10:47 PM
Maryl,

I have been meaning to Welcome you to AB forum. I love you work! Where do you purchase your tempered masonite? I didn't realize you could gesso without sanding and still have a smooth surface. Is this method cost effective in comparision to ready to paint boards? I might have to give your way a try.

Penny220,

Will this be your first time using Claybords? I would like to know what you think about them. I have always had great service and fast shipping with Dickblick. I love your Wolves. When will you be doing another one?

Donna

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-28-2004, 01:30 AM
Sam, you sneaked this past me! I love it and the title too! hehehehe

He looks like he opened his door and is waiting for you to tell him 9her?) what you want.

Very nice as usual! I gotta try that liner brush for hairs on my grandma painting. They look so sweet. Crisp and clean, no whatta mean? heheheh

Man, how do ya'll paint these so quickly?? It takes me forever.

Tim

Penny220
03-28-2004, 08:01 AM
Donna,

I painted my raccoons on an 8x10 black clayboard, that's when I ordered the 16x20 white boards to try. I'm not one for erasers but I found I really do like clayboard as a surface. As far as my wolves, thank you. I have one that I started a couple of months ago and as life has it, it's been sitting there. I put it away when all the dust started to fly in the my house during construction. Now that the house is buttoning up, I have my stuff to do to it. I have a big project in the shop that I will be starting in a couple of weeks. That will take a week or two to paint and there will be at least one wolf on that.

Penny

kdkbrown
03-28-2004, 11:02 AM
Penny,

I think you have convinced me to try the Claybord Origal Smooth again. I went back and checked out your Raccoons. I don't know how I missed them. I love the pine needles and the fur. What tool did you use to scratch with?

Pamela Shanteau uses Claybord. check out her website http://www.pamelashanteau.com/Custom_Airbrushing_World.htm

Back to Dickblicks I go.

Donna

Penny220
03-28-2004, 12:33 PM
Well I started scratching with a pick (I have a set I use for cleaning etc) until that disappeared (I hate remodeling) anyway, I was too lazy to get my scribe out of the shop (I hate cold too LOL) so I used an old AB needle to finish the job!

When I bought the claybord 8x10 black is all they carried. I enjoyed working with it but when I went to order it I ordered the white, I think it will be more versitile. You can work so quick with it, maybe I will take the time to knock one off this week. If I can only convince Sam to come and visit this week to help me on my house! I've been working on molding today, yuck. It's hard to get angles to match when nothing in the house matches!!! :(

I got to know Pamela aka QueenBord (she's a treky amongst other things), many, many years ago so, yes, I know of her work.

Caterwallin'
03-28-2004, 04:34 PM
OK, here's what I will do. I will purchase one clayboard and one pre-gessoed masonite board. I will try them both! Whew, I was really worried about filling in all of those holes in that Masonite!

Thanks Tim! Try those liners, they are great! Just be sure to experiment on something other than the original first! LOL! I don't paint fast, I just have more time than most have to paint!

Penny, I had the car loaded and was on my way. Then I stopped to fill up on gas. What's the closest airport to you?

Sam

Penny220
03-28-2004, 04:45 PM
Binhamton or Syracuse...Albany is close by and I can get you a ride out of LaGuardia if you prefer. I REALLY do need your help Sam. You see, cutting trim molding always works better the more beers you have (by the way, anything north of the Mason Dixon line and you can buy beer at any gas station or grocery store 7 days a week) The problem is I have a 12" cut off saw and only 10 fingers to cut off. Granted, by the time I drink enough beer to be able to cut a perfect corner I am seeing 20 fingers but I'm getting really confused with the math on how many fingers I have to cut off and I was hoping if you were here we could drink a few beers and you could sew my fingers back on if I make a mistake. :clap:

Luv ya Sam

Caterwallin'
03-29-2004, 12:41 PM
Ok Pen, I will pack a few re-implantation instrument sets along with some fine suture! Any preference on anesthesia? Or will the beer be enough for the both of us?

You decide on the airport, your the one who will have to come and get me!

Oh, is that QueenBord or QueenBorg?

Sam

Maryl Lehman
03-29-2004, 01:31 PM
Hi Donna!

I was just reading over this thread and realized you wrote to me and I never saw it! Sorry! Thanks for welcoming me! :) And thanks for the compliment on my artwork----I love YOUR artwork!!! I kept thinking I should write to you and tell you that, but never got around to it. I got my masonite at Lowe's, but I had to get a 4' x 8' sheet. They did cut it in quarters for me though, at no cost. It is 1/8" tempered masonite (or hard board) and it is VERY smooth---and cheap! I paid $5.95 for the 4x8 sheet. And I didn't really Gesso it---I just used Krylon in the can. But with buying the cans of paint and all, it is probably cheaper (and certainly time-saving!) to just buy it already painted from DickBlick's. I didn't know you could do that. But I wish they sold it in larger sizes. I think the largest was an 18"x 24". I guess that's where it comes in handy to paint your own. ;)

~Maryl

Penny220
03-29-2004, 07:46 PM
You see Sam, if you get masonite instead of peg-board you won't have to worry about all of those little holes. Of course if you are painting swiss cheese they might come in handy. ;)

yogi
04-03-2004, 10:02 PM
What a cutie!! Me likes raccoons! Oh, I went to your website and had a blast lookin' around and enjoyin'. Neat demo on Jaffa. Wonderful painting. You did great on the whiskers, by the way.....puurrrrrr-fectly! :)

Leaflin
04-05-2004, 11:25 AM
AWWWWWWW Sam he is just so cute!!!!!
Fantastic job that tugs at one's heart strings :)

BTW.....It's Papier Mache' :D

dogdad
04-12-2004, 12:32 PM
Hey Sam.
How about this name for your painting,Hey Ma Where You Goin?Oh,by the way my wife is a wild animal rehabilitator,and right now we have a mother raccoon with 4 kits downstairs being rehabbed and 6 more in the pens outside, ready to be released when it warms up a bit more. :)
Nick

Caterwallin'
04-12-2004, 03:32 PM
Penny, WOW! I was so tired of trying to fill in those pesky holes! So this stuff comes without holes? LOL!!!!!!!

Yogi! Thanks! I'm glad you liked both, the painting and the site! I had fun with Jaffa, he is one of my favorites! I think I have overcome my fear of painting the whiskers! LOL!!!!

Linda Lou Leafy Lady! Thanks! I'm still chuckling every time I walk past this little goomer!

Nick! Thats a great title! I had to ask you guys to name the painting, because I saw the original reference, so I know what this little guy it wanting!
I have to admit, I have always loved Raccoons! Since I was a little buttmuncher I was forever dragging critters' home! Raccoons were by far my favorite!

Here in west Texas, there is farmland for as far as the car can drive in four hours in any direction! However, we have a secluded housing community built around a small lake about 16 miles from the city were I live.

A few years ago they had an infestation of Raccoons and I somehow was recruited in the trapping a relocation effort! There had been a gentleman who was breeding Raccoons there for sale to Pet stores. They shut him down and he just turned his captive Raccoons loose! These mixed with the wild ones and the rest was history! These Raccoons had no fear of humans. I caught several hundred by hand just by luring them in with cheese puffs and picking them up! I had a ball! I wanted to keep all of them! Except some of those really big males! The effort was a success and we relocated about 2800 Raccoons to a new home that was better suited to their natural habitat.

I'm envious of your situation! I wish I could be more active in rescue and rehab programs. We just don't have the wildlife around here except for the Prairie Dogs!

You need to take photos of the Kits! Up close! I would love to paint them!

OK, that's enough!

Thanks Gang!

Sam

dogdad
04-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Ok Sam, I'll see if I can get some photos,if mama raccoon will let me.My wife just loved your painting. :clap:
Nick

dogdad
04-14-2004, 10:51 PM
Hi Sam,
Here is a photo of me with a young raccoon taken last year.I was trying to carve at the time.
Nick

ProfessorGreibowitz
04-15-2004, 02:39 AM
Dogdad,

That's awful of you - making that poor raccoon keep your neck warm like that. hehehheheheh They seem fairly tame. There were some at DedEx where I used to work and the momma would visit the trash can and root around in it. She kept an eye out for enemies, though. hehe

Tim

Caterwallin'
04-15-2004, 10:56 AM
Hey Nick, with great help like that from such an adorable little friend, how could you not go wrong!? LOL!!! Who am I kidding, I bet you had your hands full on this day!

But seeing your photo just makes me laugh! I bet this pesky friend is saying ".....ah.....Nick....I wanna help! Can I....huh?....can I help yet?....now?......lemme' help ya Nick!........who's this taken our picture?".

LOL!!!!!!

Sam

dogdad
04-18-2004, 12:11 AM
Heres a photo of mama coon and the babies.Only one is in view.The other 3 are under ma.The title of this pic is "Love You Ma''. :)
Nick

ProfessorGreibowitz
04-18-2004, 12:54 AM
hehehehe

Give ma licky sugar! hehehehehe I have a weird dog. Most dogs like to lick you in the face but my dog won't do it unless I have a treat! hahahah

Well, looks like ma is chillin' in her pet carrier. Thanks for the pic!

You said you have 10 cats, dogdad? whew! My neighbor had 10 dogs and after getting with the police, animal control, mayor AND city attorney, he finally got rid of a few. I couldn't stand that many dogs barking every time I went into my back yard.

Tim

dogdad
04-18-2004, 11:51 AM
All of our cats are indoor cats,they never go outside.Cats do way too much damage to the environment when they are allowed to roam freely.They kill thousands of songbirds and small animals every year.People who let them roam, do not want to clean their cat litter so they let the cat do their dirty business in their neighbors yard or wherever.The tomcats also spray all over to mark their territories.If anybody wants to let their cat out please get them spayed or neutered.You are being a responsible pet owner if you do.Ok I'll get off my soap box now. :angel:
Nick

Caterwallin'
04-18-2004, 01:31 PM
What a great photo Nick! It looks as though she is being an attentive mother! Baby raccoons (kits) are sooooooooooo cute! I like them when they change colors, outa that grey stage!

I could not agree with you more on your comments about cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have two and they are indoor cats! People tell me all of the time that you can't keep a cat indoors, HOGWASH!
In our area, cats that roam freely, are having a huge impact on our bird population which is causing severe concern!
Our city is attempting to pass an ordinance to keep cats indoors or leashed/restrained to owners property. There seems to be a lot of opposition, but it will pass!

OK, I'll get off of my soap box now!

Sam

HF AIRBRUSH
04-18-2004, 03:45 PM
nice photo's...to bad they don't live here...
are these from the wild or are they from you?

henk

dogdad
04-19-2004, 04:25 PM
Henk,yes they are from the wild.The babies came first because they thought the mother was dead.They saw a raccoon running across the street get hit by a car.But it wasn't the mother,so they trapped the mother and brought her here.So now my wife does not have to hand feed the babies.And its a lot better for the kits.My wife is a wildlife rehabilitator.
Nick