PDA

View Full Version : Glue?

HomelyHoodlum
08-29-2001, 09:35 PM
What type of glue should I use on canvas? I want something archival. I know bacteria can eat some glues. Plus, I am unsure if different mediums affect glue in any way. I mostly paint in oil, but I am unsure it that might hurt the glue. Also, is it possible to fiberglass a canvas? I have these ideas, but I want them to be archival. I want to build up a 3-d surface on a canvas. Any ideas of what to use? Any ideas about the glue? Help?!?

-Rick

Leaflin
08-30-2001, 10:43 AM
I use Golden Gel Medium or Liquitex Gel Medium.
It is an excellent art adhesive for collages.
It will hold cardboard, wood, string, sand, small stones etc.. to any painting surface and will not become brittle.
You can't mix it with oil or turpentine but can put oil over it and put it over oil. :)

Check out the products here

http://www.goldenpaints.com/

www.liquitex.com

mame
09-02-2001, 09:58 AM
Bookbinders' glue. Totally archival. Don't have a brand name at hand but most major art supply stores who carry bookbinding supplies can provide you info.

Daniel Smith may carry.

sassybird
09-02-2001, 02:01 PM
The tips leaflin and mame gave are excellent. I have used them all and they will not interact with your mediums to bring about an unwanted result.

Fiberglass I am not certain about. BUT! If you use fiberglass make sure you take all safety precautions. That stuff is lethal when inhaled, and can cause serious problems to mucus membranes in your eyes, ears and nose.

barrlu
09-03-2001, 10:48 AM
I am new to wetcanvas, this is my first post so please be patient if I overlook something.

Regarding the glues, canvas and oil : the liquitex or golden mediums are great as binders but I have been told that because acrylic is inorganic it should not be used (archivally speaking) over oil which is organic. (did I get that right?):confused:

I have done it anyway and so far so good, I don't know of an alternative yet.