PDA

View Full Version : First Bead Show any advice

Lizardglass
03-26-2004, 04:47 PM
I am preparing for my first bead show in April. It is a rather small show but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or advice they could give me on doing shows. I need all the help I can get from displays to priceing to how many things I should bring . Anything you want to share I'm sure would be a big help. Thanks
Liz

LLane
03-26-2004, 06:06 PM
Liz .... congratulations on your first show. I know there will be lots of people who can give advice..... but I will start with my big one.

If at all possible..... raise your table to counter height!!! I use risers made from PVC pipe that my table legs fit into. Then just lengthen your table skirt accordingly. People really appreciate not having to bend over so much... by the end of a couple of hours your back appreciates it too! You will notice it as well.

Ok..... one more.... try to give yourself a "work" space on your table.... or have a snack tray table set up behind for your "paper work." For writing your sales tickets, figuring prices, etc!!! It will really save you alot of hassle if you organize that space for yourself first!

Good luck,
Lois

PS... for my finished jewelry shows I try to take at least 3 times the amount of product I would like to sell! There is a fine line in beads in having too much out..... and not enough. It's a judgement call. (how's that for no help!):D

toozygoot
03-26-2004, 11:08 PM
Liz - My start off advice would be to start a small notebook with lists of what to bring. Things kept popping into my head so this kept me a little more on tops of things. It's amazing what I can forget if it's not written down. And the other advice is to look people in the eye and welcome them with a warm smile. Some people do this naturally and for some people it's harder. But it accomplishes two things really. You acknowledge the customer nicely and it also tells them you are paying attention. So if there is anyone who doesn't have the best of intentions - light-fingered folk - they may figure your booth is not the place for their shenanigans. If you go to a book store or the library there is an excellent book on the commercial part of arts and crafts - Handmade For Profit. It covers a lot of what you should bring with you and what to be prepared for.

Good luck to you!

pat

toozygoot
03-26-2004, 11:10 PM
OMG! I just realized! Are you talking about the show in Havana?!?!?!? If so, I'll see you there! And if you PM me your mailing addy, I will loan you my book.

pat

lorrie
03-26-2004, 11:44 PM
When is the bead show in Havana? I'm about 100 miles from Havana would love to go. Would like to meet some WC folks too.

jaxglass
03-27-2004, 02:03 AM
I'll be at the Havana show too! :clap:
It will be my fifth beadshow. Making a list is a great idea, and raising the table level is a necessity - get those beads closer to the viewer's eyes!
Look forward to meeting anyone from this board who is participating or visiting!
Please stop by to say hello! :D

Chris Gorman (aka "Jaxglass")
Chris Gorman Designs

Lizardglass
03-27-2004, 02:42 AM
Thanks so much for all the help... the show is the 24th and 25th it's at a new location this year and for the life of me I can't think of the name right now. I'll post it as soon as I can remember.

double S
03-27-2004, 07:38 AM
no advice I have my first show next weekend too!
Havana :) that brings back some memories. I did my graduate work af FSU and we would go to Havana all the time. At the time we lived in Tallahassee there was no local bookstore :crying: except for some small textbook kind so we would go down to a great used one in Havana. Also to tozzygoot on St. George Island my husband did a major archaeolgical survey of St. George when we lived there, 1992-1994 time frame. We were both archaeologists and he worked for the Bureau of Archaeological research and I worked at San Luis Archaeological and Historic Site. We keep talking about coming back to visit one day.
Good luck on your show. I will be watching this thread too to hopefully pick up some advice.
Lisa S

rosebead
03-27-2004, 09:41 AM
Hi Liz,
from my experience doing art fairs and various shows, I can give you this advice:
1) bring bottled water & some nutrias snacks. The food at these shows can be nonexistent to plainly terrible.
2) I have a "show-box" which contains necessities like duct tape & clear tape, hurricane clamps, notebook, pens, sale-slips, scissors, calculator, business cards, paper towels, spray cleaner, etc. I keep it stocked and take it every show
3) If its your first show, don't expect much in sales. Instead, look at it as on the job training. (you might have GREAT sales or not- but you will learn things that money can't buy if you take this first show as a learning opportunity)
4) Get to know the other vendors around you. They can be the most valuable source of information. Talk & ask questions. Don't be shy. Introduce yourself.
5) try to relax and enjoy the day

Best of luck,
Diane

lwdstk66
03-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Where is Havanna?

E_Black
03-27-2004, 10:18 PM
Check List For Shows
Some Beads
Business Cards
Decorative tissue for wrapping beads
Zip lock bags
Paper Bags
Boxes
Scotch Tape
Duct Tape
Calculator
Invoice Pad
Pens and Note pad
Money and Change and fanny pack,
Directions to Show, Booth info
extension cords, power strips, ott lights , fan
Mailing list book
Cloth for table
Mirror
Table raiser for legs.
Display, Jewelry Case
Price tags.
Watch
garbage bag
camera
cooler, water
Sense of humor, and try to relax

I add to this list after a show, and print out and check off each time. Ellen

Vickie
03-28-2004, 11:06 AM
Never ever forget the duct tape!!! or your inventory! :p Vickie

gwacie
03-29-2004, 08:11 AM
Or the key to unlock your money box (yea. we learn from experience)...

E_Black
03-29-2004, 08:21 AM
Hey, I forgot to put scissors on the list. Ellen

rosebead
03-29-2004, 09:16 AM
As someone doing art fairs for over a decade, I would just like to say a money box is risky. It is better to keep your cash on your body in a fanny pack or small purse. Boxes are easily stolen while you are distracted. Lots of people have learned the hard way.

Diane

gwacie
03-29-2004, 09:33 AM
Thanks Diane. FWIW, that box NEVER leaves my sight. I've been at this for about 6 years now but each person must figure out what works well for them.

toozygoot
03-29-2004, 10:39 AM
Can't wait to meet some more WCers in Havana! Could we have some sort of way of identifying ourselves so I don't miss anybody? Like maybe a sign on your table with WC! on it. I think a red feather in the hair might not work for everyone. Now how do I identify me?

Lisa - I would be interested in what you were looking for. The turpentine pots and Indian artifacts? Those used to be everywhere.

Havana is very near Tallahassee FL so if you are anywhere nearby I hope you come so I can meet you!

pat

beadnikme
03-29-2004, 11:19 AM
Always have a ready smile to greet your customers with! And, the eye contact too, very important. Customers like to be noticed! As for the cash box, I agree with whoever pointed out the possibilities of one being stolen. I know a few people in this busness that this has happened too. Your booth can at times become very busy and it is hard to keep an eye on your customers and your money box all at the same time. So I carry a small clutch type purse/wallet on a long shoulder strap and wear it crossways across my chest. Works great, hangs right at my hip and is easily accessable to make change with! Good luck to you! :)

double S
03-29-2004, 11:33 AM
Can't wait to meet some more WCers in Havana! Could we have some sort of way of identifying ourselves so I don't miss anybody? Like maybe a sign on your table with WC! on it. I think a red feather in the hair might not work for everyone. Now how do I identify me?

Lisa - I would be interested in what you were looking for. The turpentine pots and Indian artifacts? Those used to be everywhere.

Havana is very near Tallahassee FL so if you are anywhere nearby I hope you come so I can meet you!

pat
Hi Pat:
they did a complete archaeological survery of the Island so everthing from Indian artifacts to historic stuff. I'll see if my husband still has a copy of the report around. Ya'll have fun at the show.
Lisa