PDA

View Full Version : What to mix with lampwork beads

Toxey's Treasures
03-26-2004, 01:32 PM
Hi, I am new, and will more than likely be over here some now that I have found you, as I make wire-sculpted pendants, but I have a question. I know some of you work with lampwork beads (which I am going to start making in about a month) and I am wondering what you mix with them on bracelets and necklaces. Is is crystals (what kind: round bicone), bali silver, etc.

Thanks so much!!

Blair
03-26-2004, 01:36 PM
I really think it's totally a matter of personal taste and the style you want in the finished piece. I've used crystals, semi-precious stones, wood beads, bali silver... you name it! It just all depends on the lampwork I'm working with, the color, size, etc.

Blair

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-26-2004, 01:44 PM
Agreed...also depends on the lampwork...for instance, etched beads look better with matte finish beads, in my estimation...so it really is up to your personal design preference. I work with many of the same elements, that way all my pieces have a feel on continuity...however, every now and then, I jump out of the box and do something just a little different.

~Danielle

mjcall
03-26-2004, 01:49 PM
While we are a new channel and there is not a long history you might want to check out the Show and Tell threads. That might give you a few ideas of what is being used.

My answer to your question is Yes, all of the above and more.

Welcome to "Wearable Art".

M_

Toxey's Treasures
03-26-2004, 01:59 PM
Thanks for your input. I was just trying to get some things bought in bulk buys that are about to end. I guess I just need to order a little of everything and then just keep going.

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-26-2004, 02:06 PM
The one element I definitely would recommend buying in bulk buys if you can is Bali. That seems to be a recurring element in -everyone's- designs, no matter what other pieces you incorporate. Not to mention, it's expensive otherwise, so any price breaks are good.

~D.

Toxey's Treasures
03-26-2004, 02:14 PM
Tell me about it, that Bali is expensive. I do however have a chance at getting it at 33 cents a gram, way below anything I have ever gotten it at, and especially if you buy from bead shops.

LLane
03-26-2004, 02:24 PM
I guess I just need to order a little of everything and then just keep going.
:D :D :D :D
I think this is dead on!!!! You will never have enough .... :evil: .. because as soon as you get one thing that looks great..... you will find another!!! I remember early on buying a bunch of silver from RioGrande..... and when I got it all out, I said.... now if I just had some crystals........ and so it started! I now have Bali Silver, pressed glass, semi precious stones, pearls etc. etc. etc.!!!

Good luck...... welcome to our addiction!!

Lois..... who is now looking for some antique trade beads!!!

DonnaBee
03-26-2004, 02:55 PM
Yay, all great answers of course!!! Many start out with Bali silver and Swarovski crystals to go with their lampwork.

Have a peek at Rita's necklace auction... she is a master of putting her lampwork with interesting beads, isn't she?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4101238824&category=34070

Sigh.... I love what she is doing...

glitterbead
03-26-2004, 03:31 PM
I am a HUGE fan of Swarovski pearls and crystals! Also, Hill Tribe silver & some Bali silver.

Toxey's Treasures
03-26-2004, 05:14 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice.
You were right about Rita's jewelry, it is awsome.

Thanks!!

Charlee
03-26-2004, 06:32 PM
Have a peek at Rita's necklace auction... she is a master of putting her lampwork with interesting beads, isn't she?
Sigh.... I love what she is doing...

Holy Mother of Pearl! That is one gorgeous necklace. Thanks for the link Donna!

As far as what to put with lampwork? Anything. As you begin to work with a particular type of bead, you'll get a feel for what looks good with it and what doesn't. Sometimes it's color, sometimes it's texture, sometimes a combination. I have a necklace I made with one of Tink's beads. Color-wise, it's perfect, but the texture/feel/mood is wrong, wrong, wrong, so I'm remaking it.

Charlee

TheBlueBetween
03-26-2004, 06:41 PM
oh yeah, anything goes! I love mixing seed beads with lampwork... or other glass beads, sterling... whatever the beads say they need - yeah, beads talk to me LOL! If you listen hard enough, they will talk to you too and tell you what to buy.

If you go to the glass art forum and go to the showcase area - there are a bunch of finished jewelry threads in there and you can get some good ideas. Of course there is lots of lampwork in our S&T threads too...

TheBlueBetween
03-26-2004, 06:45 PM
Lois..... who is now looking for some antique trade beads!!!

Do you get the Sundance catalog? They have had a necklace in there with antique trade beads that I just LOVE. I love all their jewelry actually. But I did a search on antique trade beads once and did not come up with much. Plus how do you know if they really are antique or trade beads?

Charlee
03-26-2004, 07:02 PM
Ooooh Trade beads, I love em! I have a few that I got at Africa in April in Memphis a few years ago. I so seldom see them in jewelry anymore tho. Have they become outre or am I just not looking in the right places? Going to sign up for the Sundnce catalog now.

There are a couple of places online that have them (looking furiously for the links)
http://www.africantradebeads.com/
http://www.nimagaafricanimport.com/
http://trade.rings-things.com/TRADE.HTM

No affiliation, have not bought from any of these places. Well, I've bought from rings n things, but not their trade beads.

Charlee

Rosie2000
03-26-2004, 09:57 PM
I have bins and bins of vintage costume jewelry that I tear apart and sort :p into colors. I make a hard or soft glass focal bead and put it in to the kiln to anneal. The next day it's Christmas and I pull the bead out. It is never what I think it will be. (and I never want it to be) I tenderly clean and examine the bead and then I go to my bins and come up with the most incredible combinations that are to die for. My designs are big, bold, daring and if it it is not noticed it is not a Wild Woman Creation. I might throw some crystal or bali or whatever in but it is not my focus. The beads speak and I design. I've never met a bead I did'nt like. Rosie :p

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-27-2004, 08:10 AM
I frequently use trade beads in my jewelry. You have to be careful that you're buying from a reputable source however, since there are way too many "reproductions" running about that they like to charge an arm and a leg for. Best way to get them it meet with the traders when they come back from Africa, though you need to live in Cali to do that. /chuckle

If you go to the big bead shows, i.e. Tuscon, and you know your prices, you can usually haggle and get a fair price. I prefer the organic shapes and old world feel of those beads. They have quite a history.

~D.

Toxey's Treasures
03-27-2004, 09:55 AM
I had no idea what you all were talking about when you said Trade Beads, but I went to the links that were posted and got an idea. They are really neat, however I don't think I will be getting to either of those states anytime soon. I live in Alabama, am disabled, and need to learn to make my beads and start selling, then make a good profit. Oh, well there is always hope for the future!!! :p

Alan Cross
03-27-2004, 10:42 AM
I really like the silver with my beads so I use mostly Hill Tribe silver & some Bali silver, but also I love the Swarovski pearls and crystals! You need to try everything and see what works best with your glass...
Alan :)

Toxey's Treasures
03-27-2004, 12:58 PM
Alan, wasn't it you that said you had only been doing this for a month and a half? Your work is great. I only aspire to get to that point that quickly. I have one benefit though, I am disabled and have all day to play at the torch, when my class finally gets here. You all will be sick of me by then. :D

I do love the Hill Tribe silver, it is to die for. I also figured on the Bali, Austrian Crystals, but hadn't thought of the pearls. That is an excellent suggestion. :clap:

Alan Cross
03-27-2004, 08:57 PM
Alan, wasn't it you that said you had only been doing this for a month and a half? Your work is great. I only aspire to get to that point that quickly. I have one benefit though, I am disabled and have all day to play at the torch, when my class finally gets here. You all will be sick of me by then. :D

I do love the Hill Tribe silver, it is to die for. I also figured on the Bali, Austrian Crystals, but hadn't thought of the pearls. That is an excellent suggestion. :clap:
Yes well I just started half way through Jan this year so about 2 months now......the the Swarovski pearls are just like pearls but are made by Swareovski and come in lots of colors...
Alan :)

DonnaBee
03-27-2004, 09:08 PM
The Swarovski pearls I hear are very nice. I need to get some one of these days. I hear that the holes are larger than in freshwater pearls, and that would be nice because when you are working with lampwork, you often choose wire or thick bead cord, and it's really work to ream the holes in those freshwater pearls to make them bigger.

Are the Swarovski pearl holes the same size as the holes in their crystals? If so, that would be just perfect! (Maybe don't tell me, I don't need to be buying yet more supplies at the moment... :rolleyes: ) :)

glitterbead
03-27-2004, 10:02 PM
The Swarovski pearls I hear are very nice. I need to get some one of these days. I hear that the holes are larger than in freshwater pearls, and that would be nice because when you are working with lampwork, you often choose wire or thick bead cord, and it's really work to ream the holes in those freshwater pearls to make them bigger.

Are the Swarovski pearl holes the same size as the holes in their crystals? If so, that would be just perfect! (Maybe don't tell me, I don't need to be buying yet more supplies at the moment... :rolleyes: ) :)

Hi Donna! I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Swarovski pearls DO seem to have the same size holes as their crystals!!! I love them and have them in just about every color that Swarovski makes (including the new copper & mauve pearls that I just bought). I do not have the white, cream, and creamrose colors. I'm just not a fan of really light colored pearls - or I would have those as well. They are absolutely STUNNING paired with their crystals!!!!!!!!!

DonnaBee
03-27-2004, 10:10 PM
They are absolutely STUNNING paired with their crystals!!!!!!!!!

Oh boy... :)

DonnaBee
03-27-2004, 10:12 PM
Heres some... swarovski pearls.. I am not going down alone! :evil:

http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/SaleSearch?ht=1&satitle=swarovski+pearls&sacategory=488&catref=C1

glitterbead
03-27-2004, 10:31 PM
Heres some... swarovski pearls.. I am not going down alone! :evil:

http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/SaleSearch?ht=1&satitle=swarovski+pearls&sacategory=488&catref=C1

LOL - looks like you WON'T be going down alone, Donna!!!!! I just checked my inventory and I need more black, light grey, and dark grey!