PDA

View Full Version : The Sea, The Sea

Alison Jardine
03-26-2004, 11:11 AM
Stealing the titles of well-known works of literature is at best pretentious, and at worst unimaginative, nevertheless...;-)

I am delighted that this forum has been started, as I love painting water and seascapes, and wanted to post a few of my previous pieces.
I am out of action regarding painting in the next few weeks, as we are moving home (yay!), but am determined to take part in the lighthouse project when I am up and running again (very unlike anything I've done before).

Here are some of my acrylics on canvas, of the sea and water (I am still experimenting with different moods & styles). C&Cs welcome, as ever.

Ali

DFGray
03-26-2004, 11:43 AM
Hi
I enjoy the story in the last piece(and the painting)
the cabana about to set sail
regards
Dan

VeldaJ
03-26-2004, 01:17 PM
Nice work, Ali. I particularly like the feeling of looking down into a rock pool in #2. Not too sure that the reflections in #1 would be quite so perfect given that there is surf showing on the waves coming in but that's just a minor nit-pick. Lovely work overall.

Alison Jardine
03-26-2004, 09:52 PM
Thanks VeldaJ, very pleased you like them!

I do promise that the beach with the reflections is exactly like that -- it's why I paint it so much ! It's Blacks Beach in CA (my grandmother-in-law) has a house that backs onto this beach in La Jolla. It's edged by cliffs, and there is a long flat beach full of sandpipers, and as the waves wash out, they wash silver over the sand for an amazingly long distance until they end suddenly in a sea with high surf.

It's a hauntingly beautiful beach in all seasons and I've many photos of it, which I'll post when I find them.

Currently, to the slight bemusement of my grandmother-in-law, the beach is used as a gay nudist beach, and seems to be full of jogging naked men (yes, I've inadvertently taken pictures of this too!)

:-)

mairrca
03-28-2004, 10:05 AM
I love this forum. Beautiful work Alison. My favourites are #1 and #3. Hope your move home goes well....moving can be so draining. Take care.

brrice
03-28-2004, 01:39 PM
I like the first and last one most but they are all good. That 1st one of the cliff is full of light. It has a calming effect.
The last painting is really good. I love the clouds.

Lorijo
03-28-2004, 02:54 PM
Nice paintings I like the first and last the best too. Lorijo

Alison Jardine
03-29-2004, 10:33 AM
cheers all :-)

Eugene Veszely
03-29-2004, 11:33 AM
I hope your move goes well...and that you can get back to painting soon :)

Marty C
04-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Hi Ali,
Very nice pieces but #1 has my top vote, beautiful movement in the water, nice depth and rich colour. Well done.