PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at a nautical theme...

Printmakerguy
03-26-2004, 07:02 AM
I am teaching myself printmaking, and this is my first attempt at a nautical scene... It is of part of the Shrimp boat fleet just up the river from me here in Tarpon Springs.

It is a 3 x4 " drypoint, printed from a plexiglass sheet. A detailed drawing was not the intent here, rather a quick 'sketch' of the boat at the dock.1st proof run, so the inking is a bit sloppy in places- Sorry.

Comments/suggestions? I am new to this, this is only my 3rd intaglio print... Looking to get better, thought!

Andrew

JamieWG
03-26-2004, 07:19 AM
I love seeing interesting new mediums posted. Thank you for sharing one of your first attempts with us! I know nothing about the printmaking process, but I can imagine that it forces you to look at the creative process and technical rendering in a different way. I'd like to hear more about it, and please keep posting your marine scenes.

Jamie

Helen
03-26-2004, 12:24 PM
I like it very much... would love to see it when you pull something other than a proof

VeldaJ
03-26-2004, 01:19 PM
I'm another one who knows nothing about printmaking but I do like the image of the boat at the dock. Look forward to seeing the finished article.

Printmakerguy
03-26-2004, 03:02 PM
Thanks for all the comments!

This is an Intaglio print, done on plexiglass sheet. The drawing is cut into the plexi using various tools, then ink is put into the recesses, and the print is made by running it through a press. The ink is deposited on the paper, and viola~ a print!

The final state of this one probably wont differ too much from the proof, I will deepen some of the black areas, mostly. It isnt intended to be a detailed drawing, more like a fuzzy black and white photo, to leave something for the imagination. Plexiglass wears out kind of fast when printing, so I wont be able to make too many satisfactory copies, and kind of have to limit my proofing as much as possible.

I will certainly be doing more nautical themes- I am a merchant marine officer and spend 6 months a year on a ship, the other 6 I spend at my home on the water in Tarpon Springs, FL- A neat little 'nautical' town... Tons of inspiration!

Andrew

mairrca
03-28-2004, 10:08 AM
Thanks for explaining a bit about the process...it is new to me as well. Nice work...will look forward to seeing more. Looks like this forum fits you perfectly. :)

Marty C
04-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Hi Andrew,
I find this fascinating, both from a technical viewpoint as I am unfamiliar with prinmaking, and from the scene itself, which has sufficient detail to recognise the scene but also enough lack of detail to really amp up the imagination. Well done.

Leaflin
04-15-2004, 12:19 PM
Hi Andrew
I too find this technique fascinating, and really like the results you are achieving.
Are you using any paticular type of plexiglass?
I am in the process of reframing many of my watercolours, and am replacing the plexiglass with new.
The old is in pretty good shape on the inside.
I wonder if I could use it for something like this?