PDA

View Full Version : Friday show & tell...

Retta Gates
03-26-2004, 05:38 AM
I call this my "trinket box" necklace because I cleared out my trinket box to make it... :)

mjcall
03-26-2004, 06:44 AM
Retta

What a fun necklace, perhaps I should sit down with my miscellaneous lamp work bead collection and see what I can come up with. Lots of stuff I can’t bear to pitch but are just collecting dust. :rolleyes:

A necklace and earring set I made for my mother-in-law’s birthday. My lamp work, Bali, Swarovski and Lapis beads.

M_

Retta Gates
03-26-2004, 07:09 AM
Very nice, I love the shape of your "accent" beads. You found some great Lapis too. :)

DonnaBee
03-26-2004, 08:50 AM
Retta that is pure happiness, WOW! Dancing and happy! It must have been joyful creating it.

Mike that is a lovely silver and blue necklace, your MIL is very lucky to have you, that you would create beauty for her to wear. Also, I think it could be entered in our Deep Blue Sea Project.

Retta Gates
03-26-2004, 08:53 AM
Retta that is pure happiness, WOW! Dancing and happy! It must have been joyful creating it.

Mike that is a lovely silver and blue necklace, your MIL is very lucky to have you, that you would create beauty for her to wear. Also, I think it could be entered in our Deep Blue Sea Project.

It was the most "relaxing" stringing expirence ever... :)

GardensOnGlass
03-26-2004, 10:47 AM
Mike & Retta, great works!!!

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-26-2004, 12:03 PM
Ok, I couldn't take another day on the couch, even though I still feel like I should be living inside the Puffs Plus warehouse, so I sat down at the bench and finished off a piece that was waiting on me.

This bangle is called Sandstorm and it's focal is a glazed ceramic bead with a Hiitribe seashell, Grecian spacers, a mottled sterling bead and Bali silver. I stuck a cute little pale pink Swarovski cystal on one of the dangles.

:)

~Danielle

Patch
03-26-2004, 12:42 PM
Not sure if I should show that in the show and tell or in the purse thread but I am so proud, I decided for S&T.

My handbags were chosen to make the front cover of the magazine where I sell my patterns. :D The magazine came out this morning and I already received a request from a craft boutique to bring my stuff there to sell. Not sure yet what I will do.

Patch, still floating above the ground

DonnaBee
03-26-2004, 12:59 PM
Danielle, it's one of my favorites from you!!!

Patch, I'd be walking on air! Warm congratulaions! I say go out somewhere for a nice dinner tonight! :)

beclectic
03-26-2004, 12:59 PM
<snip>
My handbags were chosen to make the front cover of the magazine where I sell my patterns. :D The magazine came out this morning and I already received a request from a craft boutique to bring my stuff there to sell. Not sure yet what I will do.

Patch, still floating above the ground

Congrats, how exciting. :clap:

Rosie2000
03-26-2004, 01:07 PM
I love the show and tells....great inspiration and a great start to each morning. I am sharing one of my designs done with boro glass. It is from my fire and ice collection.

Beads-Me!
03-26-2004, 02:03 PM
What a great necklace Rhetta! I love all the texture! Glad you're off the couch Danielle - the bracelet is beautiful! Lovely necklace Mike... How exciting Patch!! WOW! And that's wonderful Rosie - I love the boro focal...

Here's my necklace of the day - I'm so tickled with it! I may never take it off....

TurtleBay Jewelry
03-26-2004, 02:12 PM
Nancy, that's gorgeous! You may almost lure me back into stringing! LOL.

How do you keep it on? Just tie it in a "knot"?

~D.

Beads-Me!
03-26-2004, 02:17 PM
Thanks Danielle - just fold it in half and tuck the ends through the loop. I'll try to get a picture of it on my neck when Brenna gets home from school. It went together so quickly too - BONUS! ;)

DonnaBee
03-26-2004, 02:23 PM
Those colors together are magic Nancy!

Rosie, I love that focal, and I also loved the one in the intro you posted yesterday!

LLane
03-26-2004, 02:54 PM
I love this forum..... since I mostly sell my finished pieces I rarely photograph beads and don't feel like I can do the daily show and tells in the Glass showcase. I love seeing the finished work as I find it inspiring and I love to see how other people use different findings in their work. So thanks all....I love all the pics today!!!

This was a special order from a gal.... who then didn't like it..... the next person who saw it bought it! So.... good for me and the 2nd gal!!!
Peace,
Lois

DonnaBee
03-26-2004, 03:09 PM
It's mouthwatering Lois! I am so glad you like it here, I like it too. I am really grateful that WC opened the forum for this subject.

Charlee
03-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Oooh Oooh Oooh!! Everything is just so pretty! :clap: :clap: Y'all are inspiring me to whoop out the pliers and get with it. Haven't felt like it lately, so hope to have something for S&T soon.

Congratulations to Patch - that's fantastic!

Charlee

lisilk
03-26-2004, 04:16 PM
They're all so beautiful it's hard to pick a favorite. I'll take one of each please ! :clap:

Patch- CONGRATULATIONS ! Awesome news.

Li

Patch
03-26-2004, 04:21 PM
Retta, Nice treasure necklace. I have a box with special beads I want to use for such a necklace... someday....

M_ Is that silver on those beads? New to lampworking, how can you get such a nice silver color? You have a very lucky mother in law!

Nice bangles Danielle and Lois. Wish I was that good to compose jewelry.

Rosie, that focal is neat!

Nancy, I love your necklace. How long did you make it?

Thanks for the nice words ladies
Patch, still floating

Beads-Me!
03-26-2004, 04:32 PM
Thanks everyone - I'm so happy with it! It's about 40 inches long - did I mention I'm big boned?!?! :rolleyes: Here's a picture of it on Danielle so you can see how they work... Too wierd seeing my skin that up close and personal!

Lois - love the bracelet!! I'm happy to see you posting pictures girlfriend!!

mjcall
03-26-2004, 04:38 PM
Patch

Congratulations a cover spot is quite an honor. We can say we knew you before you were rich and famous. Well famous anyway. :clap:

Thank you for the kind words about my MIL's set. To answer your question, yes I roll a layer of pure silver foil onto the base bead the melt it in. Apply my decorations and the very last thing before the putting it in the kiln I flash the bead in a reducing flame (propane rich) to bring up the silver on the surface. The barrel shape side beads were rolled in little pieces of silver foil, melted in and reduced.

M_ AKA Mike

TheBlueBetween
03-26-2004, 06:19 PM
What a GREAT show and tell today!!!

Patch that is so wonderful - congratulations!!! :clap: :clap:

Nancy - I love that necklace! I sometimes wear a scarf like that -never thought to do a necklace that way! Does it stay on well? Probably not the safest thing to wear if you have a preschooler?

Danielle - great color combo!

Same for you Lois - great bracelet :)

I know I'm missing some, I wish the pictures showed up below so I could see them and not have to remember who made what. They are all very pretty!

somk
03-26-2004, 06:25 PM
Woot ! many many beautiful and especially happy things today !
I love this bracelet Lois :D fun like a merry-go-round !

Retta Gates
03-27-2004, 01:35 AM
Thanks everyone - I'm so happy with it! It's about 40 inches long - did I mention I'm big boned?!?! :rolleyes: Here's a picture of it on Danielle so you can see how they work... Too wierd seeing my skin that up close and personal!

Lois - love the bracelet!! I'm happy to see you posting pictures girlfriend!!

Very nice colors and I love that design! :)

Patch
03-27-2004, 06:52 AM
Patch

Congratulations a cover spot is quite an honor. We can say we knew you before you were rich and famous. Well famous anyway. :clap:

Thank you for the kind words about my MIL's set. To answer your question, yes I roll a layer of pure silver foil onto the base bead the melt it in. Apply my decorations and the very last thing before the putting it in the kiln I flash the bead in a reducing flame (propane rich) to bring up the silver on the surface. The barrel shape side beads were rolled in little pieces of silver foil, melted in and reduced.

M_ AKA Mike

Hehe Mike, I'll probably never get rich nor famous :cool:

That's what I need, a book with that kind of informations...how silver react with this and that, what colors do what reaction... I am just beginning lampwork and have a long way to go before even attempting something like that. Thank your for the explanations.

Patch

mjcall
03-27-2004, 07:30 AM
Patch

The best info on using silver that I have found is Corina Tettinger's publication “Spotlight on Silver”. It doesn’t seem like you are getting a very much for $15.00 but it is crammed with info from some pretty amazing lamp workers. I also highly recommend her book “Passing The Flame”, at $70 plus it was a gulper but it has been worth every penny to me. Her is a link to Corina's Website (http://www.corinabeads.com/) if you are interested.

M_

Alan Cross
03-27-2004, 10:46 AM
Great work everyone ....congrats Patch!
Alan :)

Patch
03-27-2004, 11:20 AM
Patch

The best info on using silver that I have found is Corina Tettinger's publication “Spotlight on Silver”. It doesn’t seem like you are getting a very much for $15.00 but it is crammed with info from some pretty amazing lamp workers. I also highly recommend her book “Passing The Flame”, at $70 plus it was a gulper but it has been worth every penny to me. Her is a link to Corina's Website (http://www.corinabeads.com/) if you are interested.

M_

Gulper... yep, once in Canada, this will go over $100... not in my price range for now. I did buy Cindy Jenkins 2nd book, still waiting for it to get here. I already had the first. Little by little, I'll build a librairy.
Thank you for your help Mike

Patch

mjcall
03-27-2004, 11:37 AM
Patch

I think you will enjoy Cindy's new book as well. It would my number 2 choice of How To’s. It is different than PTF as it has a number of varied and talented contributors.

M_

TheBlueBetween
03-27-2004, 11:43 AM
Gulper... yep, once in Canada, this will go over $100... not in my price range for now. I did buy Cindy Jenkins 2nd book, still waiting for it to get here. I already had the first. Little by little, I'll build a librairy.
Thank you for your help Mike

Patch

Oh but it's worth EVERY penny! Cindy Jenkins 2nd book is also a winner - but Corina's is the *one* you want. See if you can at least get the library to order it!

Pam