PDA

View Full Version : My First Lanyard! Thanks nursekatie!

3SistersBeads
03-25-2004, 06:54 PM
Hi all!

Well, my sister "decided" I need to make lanyards so she can sell them to all the people she works with. :p

I picked nursekatie's brain and she was sooooooooo nice to answer all my emails and "hold my hand" as I figured out how to make these cool babies.

I'm kinda proud of this first one, and I wore it all day yesterday just to make sure it wasn't too heavy.

Katie, I used a toggle finding for the loop on the end (your idea!) and I agonized over the making of the floral, a design I'm just not too confident in making.

All in all, it's a good one. Now I hope somebody buys it! :D

Thanks again, Katie! You're awesome!

Felicia
03-25-2004, 07:06 PM
Hey Leslie,

That looks great!!!! Nurse Katie is always so nice to share what she know's isn't she? Hey, I've got a question for you...What did you use as the round looking donut that people attach their name tags to?

And how did you make it not so heavy? I wear a name tag everyday and have thought of making something similiar but I didn't want it too heavy either.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Felicia

Carriebug
03-25-2004, 07:07 PM
That is just beautiful!! I am sure it will sell!

Carrie

3SistersBeads
03-25-2004, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the kudos!

Felicia, I used a round toggle part. Got them in Michael's. I used base metal and not sterling.

Only 3 of the lampwork beads have any real weight to them. I just didn't want it to really pull.

I probably won't do too many florals either since they took me a while to make and would make the price higher, you know? I'm going to stick with the things I can do fast and well for now.

Blessings,
Leslie

nicker
03-25-2004, 07:41 PM
AWSOME :clap: :clap: I like the whole thing, but the floral is yummy!

3SistersBeads
03-25-2004, 09:14 PM
Thanks Nicole!

You know, I just started putting rose geranium oil in my bead release! I love the smell when I heat up my mandrels. Yummy! A friend of mine is a distributor for Young Life (I think that's the name) and she's got some amazing oils. I may have to check them out.

Leslie

nicker
03-25-2004, 09:25 PM
Leslie try lemon verbena if you get a chance it's one of my favorites very uplifting, neroli is a good one too!

beadsbybrat
03-25-2004, 09:37 PM
That is SOOOOO P-U-R-T-T-Y!! :clap:
How much will you charge for them??

the brat

3SistersBeads
03-25-2004, 09:42 PM
That is SOOOOO P-U-R-T-T-Y!! :clap:
How much will you charge for them??

the brat

Hey Brat! HA! What a great name! :D

Anyhow, I'm hoping to get between $25 and 30 for them. However, the one I'm showing will probably be closer to $40 because of the floral. That took way too much time, so I'm going to try to stick to focals that are quick to make but look like I took forever, you know?

I'm also using base metal and seed beads for now which will also keep the cost down. I'm really just trying this out to see what happens. I'l make a bunch and my sister will take them to work and then maybe I'll go over to our local hospital and try the gift shop. We'll see.

Thanks.

Leslie

nursekatie
03-25-2004, 10:12 PM
HEY!!!! WOW...that turned out ssooooo lovely!!! Very nice job!! Those will sell.........THEN....they will be calling you for a necklace to go with a new dress.....and...OHHH...btw...I need earrings too :evil:

gypsysoul
03-26-2004, 11:45 AM
Leslie, that is lovely! :clap:

My neighbor has asked me to make one for her, and I didn't think to ask what is the typical length of a lanyard. Anyone?

Paula

nursekatie
03-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Typically I made them 30 inches. Some like them a bit shorter, some like them a bit longer (large breasted women like them a bit longer) :D

gypsysoul
03-26-2004, 04:15 PM
Thanks, Katie! :D

Paula